College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Here is an article quoting Edey on his lack of significant NIL money -

a bit odd. If he is on a F-1 visa i get the problem, but what I've read on the topic of canadians enrolling at US universities is they don't need a F-1 visa, just an I-20. will be interesting to see how this might shake out with Frank Mitchell

a bit odd. If he is on a F-1 visa i get the problem, but what I've read on the topic of canadians enrolling at US universities is they don't need a F-1 visa, just an I-20. will be interesting to see how this might shake out with Frank Mitchell
If Canadians can't take NIL - we should recruit all Canadians!

FWIW - SI has admitted to publishing articles written by AI which had fictitious names to them; so I’d take anything they “write/publish” with a grain of salt. They’re nothing akin to the same publication of yesteryear.

I find it helpful to have multiple third part attestations when researching something on the internet

If you google Edey NIL, you will see multiple articles attesting to his NIL
dilemma.

That might be our best hope going forward: having a roster heavy on international players. I was reading an article yesterday indicating that there are ongoing efforts to change that but they're slow moving and have no assurance of success.

From reading his bio on the Canisius site, he played one year in the USA and one year at a Canadian college. He sat out a year after transferring to Canisius from the Canadian school. So, looks like he would have at least 2 years of eligibility.

He's a rebounding machine: 20 double figure rebounding games in the 31 games he played. Had 22 rebounds in game late in the season. #4 in the nation in rebounds per game and #2 in the nation in total rebounding percentage. Led his conference in effective field goal percentage (56.1%). Only 16th in True Shooting Percentage due to his poor free throw shooting. This guy could be a really solid addition but we would want to recruit another big who can shoot free throws to play later in the halves.
I like reliable rebounders.

Nah, Lowe was a 3pt sniper. This kid is a stat stuffer but it looks like his 3pt percentage has gone down every year.

Seems like another grit/energy Parker Fox type. Just smaller
Loewe was not a 3 point sniper in the slightest. Loewe had a similar trajectory with his shot as this guy.

Strikes me more as a potential Carrington replacement. Need some bigger guards to go along with Hawkins and Mitchell who are on the smaller side.

Although this guy isn't a great shooter, he looks like he would be a better scorer than Carrington based on his last two years. He's also played 4 years and is two years older than Carrington; that usually helps.

I like reliable rebounders.

When George Raveling coached at Iowa, I lived in that area. He had written a book that contained the statement: "Rebounding is the one thing that you can never do too much. You can shoot too much, you can pass too much, you can even score too much but you can never rebound too much."

Doogie posted an interesting interview with Nate Heise who committed to Iowa State. Can't get it to post here. He stated it was "hardest" to turn down the Gophers and they were contacting and working him as hard as anyone......he also said that NIL wasn't a major factor for him.

Doogie posted an interesting interview with Nate Heise who committed to Iowa State. Can't get it to post here. He stated it was "hardest" to turn down the Gophers and they were contacting and working him as hard as anyone......he also said that NIL wasn't a major factor for him.
If NIL wasn't a factor, what made it hard to turn us down?

FWIW - SI has admitted to publishing articles written by AI which had fictitious names to them; so I’d take anything they “write/publish” with a grain of salt. They’re nothing akin to the same publication of yesteryear.

I find it helpful to have multiple third part attestations when researching something on the internet

If you google Edey NIL, you will see multiple articles attesting to his NIL
dilemma.
There is a lot more out there than SI. It's everywhere. I'm not a fan of AP generally, but it does look like they have some disclaimer that says they used AI to prep an article. I think honesty requires that the reader know whether it was a person or a machine writing the article.

For now, most of the AI generated stuff, especially in sports, is such terrible writing that you know it's fake.

Do they? And you know he is lying how exactly?

Is it possible he just didn't want to play for the coach or wanted to play for a program that...you know...is going places? Nah...
Ok, ok, I'll reword it. Often times they lie about money not being a factor.

And the programs that are going places are the ones that buy players.

Do they? And you know he is lying how exactly?

Is it possible he just didn't want to play for the coach or wanted to play for a program that...you know...is going places? Nah...
He isn't. The CBJ Apology Tour needs to pretend like it's everything else. We only lose because Iowa State has a ton of money to buy recruits and poor Ben can't compete with that kind of cash.

He likely picked Iowa State over the U because they have a way better program than us.

He isn't. The CBJ Apology Tour needs to pretend like it's everything else. We only lose because Iowa State has a ton of money to buy recruits and poor Ben can't compete with that kind of cash.

He likely picked Iowa State over the U because they have a way better program than us.
Iowa State isn't way better than us if everyone would have returned next year. Or if we had Battle & Cooper on this year's team.

If money isn't important...why doesn't he just say how much he took?

Top Bottom