Cam Christie declares for NBA (while maintaining college eligibility)

It's the right move for him. Gather information that will allow him to make an informed decision about permanently entering the draft or not, while not jeopardizing his college eligibility. My guess is he'll get a low first round grade in a down draft and decide it's too good to pass up.
I can’t see Christie as a first round draft choice after his up and down freshman year. He needs another year, and that should pay off.

I love college basketball but I think the best place to develop is the G League. A 19 year old that is probably 1-2 years away from playing in the NBA or the highest level teams in Europe, should really be living and breathing basketball (like they would with tennis, soccer, baseball prodigies).

The G League is practice. And total boredom.

Gopher games are 10X more intense and important. Real adversity you have to fight through to see what you're made of.

The G League is practice. And total boredom.

Gopher games are 10X more intense and important. Real adversity you have to fight through to see what you're made of.
Even you aren't this ridiculous...

Again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Even you aren't this ridiculous...
You guys have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...and are ridiculous...

...if you think the G League games have the same intense atmosphere with importance on winning as Big Ten & NCAA games.

My comment about 10X was about right...as far as attendance. Big Ten games have about 10X the attendance. Or 7X.

Nobody knows or cares that the Delaware Blue Coats won the championship. Yes, yes, they're getting good coaching...I'm sure Mike Lombardi is a fine coach. But playing on the Gophers has some advantages too.

You guys have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...and are ridiculous...

...if you think the G League games have the same intense atmosphere with importance on winning as Big Ten & NCAA games.

My comment about 10X was about right...as far as attendance. Big Ten games have about 10X the attendance. Or 7X.

Nobody knows or cares that the Delaware Blue Coats won the championship. Yes, yes, they're getting good coaching...I'm sure Mike Lombardi is a fine coach. But playing on the Gophers has some advantages too.
I loved that final win in the 2022-23 season, it was epic!

I haven't seen Cam on any of the mock draft sites which means slightly more than nothing. He certainly looks like he can be an NBA player. I'd be surprised if he's a first round pick this year, even in a weak draft. I wouldn't be surprised if a team takes a flyer on him late in the second round. The talent and potential is there.

If he does stay in, I'd say he's pretty much a lock to get drafted, and would put it about 50/50 to get drafted in the 1st round. If he does slide to the early 2nd round, he'll still most likely receive a contract worth about $2million AAV, based on comps from 2023. If he's a late 1st rounder, he's guaranteed at least $3.1milliom AAV. He's 18, doesn't turn 19 until after the draft and shot 40% from 3. He's got good size, and can put on weight/muscle which will only help. He's exactly what the NBA is looking for. I'm gonna guess he'll get good feedback, and my guess is he will opt to stay in the draft. He's just a really good prospect.

I haven't seen Cam on any of the mock draft sites which means slightly more than nothing. He certainly looks like he can be an NBA player. I'd be surprised if he's a first round pick this year, even in a weak draft. I wouldn't be surprised if a team takes a flyer on him late in the second round. The talent and potential is there.

The Athletic's latest mock(Mid March) had him getting selected 28th. That's the only one I've seen with a first round projection. But now that he's officially declared, I wonder if his name will start popping up more.

50/50 to go in the first round of a two round draft. Really going out on a limb there...

Given where he's being mocked, I said 50/50 because I think he's got a much better chance then what people out there believe. If the mocks have him at a 10% likelihood of going in the first I think it's more like 50%.

Who thinks Christie's closest comp is Amir?

Players who have wore maroon and gold and will have gone through the draft evaluation process; that’s their nexus (on a Gopher board). The other commonality is that they are wings as well, ergo, “closest.”

Enjoy you weekend Barrister Bobby, unless you’ve made other plans😃.

Last edited:

He was listed in The Athletic’s NBA draft guru’s board, after his late season run (he wasn’t on it prior) and that’s how this gained steam on here before his announcement; I haven’t seen him on any others FWIW

Last edited:

He's very comparable to his brother who was drafted 35th in a better draft, except I think Cam has a slightly better looking shot.

Cam could come back and have a big year and significantly improve his stock like the Murray's did at Iowa. Or he could come back and only marginally improve his numbers and hurt his draft stock in better drafts in the future.

I would like to see him come back but I won't be surprised if he stays in the draft and is a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

He's very comparable to his brother who was drafted 35th in a better draft, except I think Cam has a slightly better looking shot.

Cam could come back and have a big year and significantly improve his stock like the Murray's did at Iowa. Or he could come back and only marginally improve his numbers and hurt his draft stock in better drafts in the future.

I would like to see him come back but I won't be surprised if he stays in the draft and is a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.
I think we have a reasonable chance to replace in the portal the player Cam was this past year. What we won't get in the portal is a guy who is as good as Cam will be in the coming year. So, either way we don't have to go backwards. The harder guy to replace - again from a last year perspective- is Payne. If Payne had stayed and Christie returns this would have been at least an upper half Big Ten team.

I think we have a reasonable chance to replace in the portal the player Cam was this past year. What we won't get in the portal is a guy who is as good as Cam will be in the coming year. So, either way we don't have to go backwards. The harder guy to replace - again from a last year perspective- is Payne. If Payne had stayed and Christie returns this would have been at least an upper half Big Ten team.
I’m not as confident we can replace Cams production from the portal. He tailed off at the end, but he is a really good player. The best we’ve had since Coffey and maybe even better than Coffey.

So you think college is a better place for players to develop because the crowds are larger? What?

Who is making this judgment on which games are more "important"?

Why do people keep comparing Cam with Coffey? Just because they were our two most recent high impact freshmen?

Yes they both declared early for the draft process, but that's about it. Completely different players
Comparing the decision making process more than the players.

Top Bottom