Wisconsin Coach Changing Axe Policy, Hasn't Talked To Coach Kill About it...

I hope the Gophers kick Badger @$$ up and down the field then after the game go kick in the door to the Badger locker room and take the axe!

I do agree that there is a need to improve the logistics of the victor retreiving the axe and chopping down the goal posts. I just don't think a unilateral decree by one side during game week is the right way to do it. If Anderson was truly concerned about player safety, he would have addressed this with Minnesota in the off-season. The way he did it makes it seem like Minnesota's increased chances of winning entered into his thought process.

I absolutely agree with you here. One thing that Anderson is still working on as a head coach is the outward facing part of the job. It was clearly a large step up for him in terms of visibility and he doesn't always hit the mark there. I'm hoping that he gives Coach Kill a call to have a thoughtful discussion about the best way to handle this moving forward.

I hope the Gophers kick Badger @$$ up and down the field then after the game go kick in the door to the Badger locker room and take the axe!

Worth noting that in the press conference Andersen mentions the Axe being brought to the winning team's locker room.

I do agree that there is a need to improve the logistics of the victor retreiving the axe and chopping down the goal posts. I just don't think a unilateral decree by one side during game week is the right way to do it. If Anderson was truly concerned about player safety, he would have addressed this with Minnesota in the off-season. The way he did it makes it seem like Minnesota's increased chances of winning entered into his thought process.

Bingo.

They had it in place for their Iowa and Nebraska games this year and things went smooth. Sounds like they want it to be a conference policy.

Didn't realize WI was now in the business of creating conference wide celebration policy for all other teams. So dumb. :rolleyes:

Didn't realize WI was now in the business of creating conference wide celebration policy for all other teams. So dumb. :rolleyes:

Honestly, if they want that to be conference policy, then they should just stop trophy games. There's no point to them if you can't rush across the field to get it and have an organic celebration.

If any Gopher fans in stands have an inflatable or foam axe, they could hand it to the team, the the Gophers could chop it down with that.

Worth noting that in the press conference Andersen mentions the Axe being brought to the winning team's locker room.

Absolutely no reason to delay it that much, none.
Wheel it out late in the game like Michigan did and put it in the corner of the sideline away from the benches like Michigan did.
What a loser Andersen is. Seriously, a LOSER.
I hope Kill and Norwood PUBLICLY make him look as petty and small as he deserves.
I also hope Delaney swoops in and smacks this down. BTN needs the visuals.

EDIT: Also would make for an interesting 5th Quarter with the team bringing the axe onto the field AFTER the game.

Might as well get rid of the trophy then. Whats the point of waiting until they are in the locker room. As a fan who is going to be at the game I want to celebrate with the team.

Wheel it out late in the game like Michigan did and put it in the corner of the sideline away from the benches like Michigan did.

This^ It really isn't that difficult. Near the end of the game, put the axe near the endzone opposite the student section. Then, the winner rushes over, and doesn't have to interfere with the opposing sideline. As cocky as Wisconsin fans are, the displaying and celebration with the trophy on the sidelines is great for the fans to see whether or not it is changing hands. i.e. if we retain the jug next time we play Michigan, the entire stadium wants to see the trophy, and the players will want to celebrate, even though it is not changing hands.

What a loser Andersen is. Seriously, a LOSER.
I hope Kill and Norwood PUBLICLY make him look as petty and small as he deserves.
I also hope Delaney swoops in and smacks this down. BTN needs the visuals.

EDIT: Also would make for an interesting 5th Quarter with the team bringing the axe onto the field AFTER the game.

Sure the Axe is about the teams, but I think Coach Kill would agree that the Axe is more about the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Every trophy we have won this year coach says it's bigger than the team. The stories of the trophy go on long after a coach or player and this is the reason that Axe should be brought out onto the field and shown to all who are there and all who are watching back in MN and around the country. It isn't Gary Anderson's Axe, it isn't Gary Anderson's rivalry.

Sure the Axe is about the teams, but I think Coach Kill would agree that the Axe is more about the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Every trophy we have won this year coach says it's bigger than the team. The stories of the trophy go on long after a coach or player and this is the reason that Axe should be brought out onto the field and shown to all who are there and all who are watching back in MN and around the country. It isn't Gary Anderson's Axe, it isn't Gary Anderson's rivalry.

This. +1. It is not Alvarez's either.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/111613/axe-tradition-loses-luster-with-new-policy

No one wants bench-clearing brawls. But it seems like this could have been solved a little bit easier, perhaps by having the coaches tell their teams this week, "Hey, if we lose, get the heck off the field. And if we win, stay in one end zone until the coast is clear. Whatever happens, save all your fighting for the 60 minutes during the game."

That's not so hard, is it? Instead, a grand tradition could be watered down, just when this rivalry is reaching a crescendo.

You would prefer a pissing contest like last year?

I thought the tradition was to chop down one of the goal posts, not both and not in front of the student section. Especially while the home team is still there. Seems like it would be simple enough to lay some ground rules to how to handle it, rather than take your ball and go home.

Gophers/Iowa don't seem to have any problems with Floyd.

Solution - Gophers bring a "replica" axe to chop down goal posts spontaneously. Can get the real one later.

It doesn't help that the trophy could also double as a medieval weapon.

Solution - Gophers bring a "replica" axe to chop down goal posts spontaneously. Can get the real one later.

That, and we should just keep the axe if we win. No reason to continue a watered down trophy game.

They can keep the bacon, but we're keeping the axe.

I thought the tradition was to chop down one of the goal posts, not both and not in front of the student section. Especially while the home team is still there. Seems like it would be simple enough to lay some ground rules to how to handle it, rather than take your ball and go home.

Gophers/Iowa don't seem to have any problems with Floyd.

That is because Floyd is really heavy so there is no running around the stadium with him just a big group celebration and passing him around.

That, and we should just keep the axe if we win. No reason to continue a watered down trophy game.

They can keep the bacon, but we're keeping the axe.

I took a trimester of wood shop class in 7th grade. I'll start working on an axe. Hopefully I'll have some fingers left by tomorrow.

2013 only happened because of the 2011 incident which the Badgers players provoked.

You would prefer a pissing contest like last year?

If Anderson has unilaterally decided the Axe will not be on display than coach Kill and the Minnesota staff should sue for the slab of bacon trophy as it was Minnesota property until Wisconsin stole it.
The standoff and confrontation only happened in 2013 because in 2011 at TCF the Badger players barged through the middle of our cheer team, dance team and players ARC as they were finishing up singing the schools Alma Mater "Hail Minnesota" in front of the student section. Nothing wrong with chopping down the posts on the visitors side, and then waiting for the home team to clear out of the home goal posts and then chopping those down, which had been the custom until 2011. I remember the Gophers chopping in 1994 but I do not remember them tauting anyone with the Axe or shoving anyone from the other side.

It had nothing to do exclusively with chopping down the goal posts or running across to grab the Axe, just busting through our teams Arc and some of the Wisconsin players actually shoved cheer team members and pushed through the center of the arc of UMN students and players to get to the goalposts. The ground rules should be to avoid the "taunting" not hiding the thing away because your trying to avoid issues, or if for heavens sakes Minnesota happens to win Saturday, shocking idea I know but it could happen.

If the Badger players had waited what 1 to 2 minutes instead of barging through the Arc during the alma mater singing and hadn't pushed some dance team members out of the way none of last years 2013 confrontation even happens, the guy's would have left peacefully and let it go but no Badgers tried to taunt the students again. If I were our guy's I would have just let it go and left no sense in sticking around to watch that.

Anderson is leaving it in the locker room and not on the sidelines as much as anything to assume the message is were going to win it anyways so why have it on the sidelines and being petty. This unilateral decision is a bunch of bull crap.
People should have no problem with rushing the other teams sidelines to exchange the trophy things as long as there is established ground rules on avoiding taunts and not causing physical shoving like happened in 2011.

Really Alvarez as AD and the Wisconsin athletic department owed an apology for the physical shoving action by the Badgers players to the Minnesota cheer team and dance team members from 2011 as they were the one's that were shoved aside and mostly had to put up with the pushing so that those guys could get at the goalposts.

Minnesota has already had two rushing the sidelines moments this season with Iowa and Michigan without any incidents this year, I realize there is more at stake on Saturday but the trophy should still be in the box on the sideline and to the victor goes the trophy.

If Minnesota wins it they should agree to avoid the student section of the Badgers and go and celebrate with our fans anyways.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=333270135

After the Badgers pretended to chop down one goal post, they started to cross the field toward the other end. The Gophers encircled the goalpost in front of their student section and refused to let the Badgers do it to the other one. There was some pushing and shoving, but the confrontation ended without incident.

"It's a pride thing," Nelson said.

Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen was the most vocal about the situation, saying he wasn't pleased with campus police getting involved and pushing the Badgers away from the fray.

"Do we want them down there, do we want to get in those situations? No, we don't want to get in those situations," Andersen said. "But you're supposed to carry yourself like an adult in those scenarios. I don't need somebody pointing a finger in my face when supposedly it's their job to take advantage of to protect and be the security for the stadium I suppose. It makes me mad."

Has Coach Kill or anyone from the Gophers responded to this? I hope Kill or the U releases a statement calling them out on this. We've traveled to the opposing teams sideline twice this year and haven't had a problem. There is no reason to believe there will be a problem in Madison. The Badger players were the ones who created the problem.

Jerry might be on the phone with Gary as we speak. That's the way this should be handled, not in public like Andersen's trying to do. Kill should avoid this becoming a big public drama, which could distract the players. That said, Jerry should use this as a motivational angle with the players once we get closer to the game.

This is just stupid and really just gives me another reason to hate Andersen/Alvarez. The fact that they think they can just decide that the Axe should stay in the locker room and tell the media that without even talking to Kill/Teague about it first makes them look like giant jackasses. I really hope Kill and Teague fire back about this and let everyone know they aren't in favor of it.

If we win it, we should lock our locker room door when they try to give it to us. Tell them they can keep it along with the bacon trophy they were too much of a sore loser to surrender when they lost (how an organization can be proud of having a trophy when they have it by virtue of not giving it up after losing is beyond me), and that they can go chop down some goal posts with it while we pack for Indy.

This is just stupid and really just gives me another reason to hate Andersen/Alvarez. The fact that they think they can just decide that the Axe should stay in the locker room and tell the media that without even talking to Kill/Teague about it first makes them look like giant jackasses. I really hope Kill and Teague fire back about this and let everyone know they aren't in favor of it.

They probably called Joel and ok'd it with him first. :rolleyes:

Incredibly brilliant plan, Mr. Anderson! Minnesota wins the axe in the locker room and then brings it back onto the field...during the 5th Quarter as the band is playing Varsity. This won't have any of the same issues as barging through Hail! Minnesota to chop a goalpost.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=333270135

After the Badgers pretended to chop down one goal post, they started to cross the field toward the other end. The Gophers encircled the goalpost in front of their student section and refused to let the Badgers do it to the other one. There was some pushing and shoving, but the confrontation ended without incident.

"It's a pride thing," Nelson said.

Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen was the most vocal about the situation, saying he wasn't pleased with campus police getting involved and pushing the Badgers away from the fray.

"Do we want them down there, do we want to get in those situations? No, we don't want to get in those situations," Andersen said. "But you're supposed to carry yourself like an adult in those scenarios. I don't need somebody pointing a finger in my face when supposedly it's their job to take advantage of to protect and be the security for the stadium I suppose. It makes me mad."

All of the obove actions happened because in 2011 Badger players shoved cheer team members and dance team members and barged through the center of the Minnesota Arc. In 2013 the same thing happened, except most of the players had the decency to go around instead of shoving and pushing people aside, really everything that happened in 2013 occured because of 2011 incident. Anderson wasn't around for that so he probably doesn't understand the history of what occured that provoked this incident.
He should head his own language and say what he said to his own team, carry yourself like an adult in those situations instead of behaving like a child and trying to taunt the other side and pull the same stunt as in 2011.

Easy to blame Minnesota for what happened when it is the Badgers players that started all of this with the shoving incident in the Arc in 2011 and then the taunt of chopping the posts before Minnesota had finished and cleared the field.
2011 and 2013 were both regretable as nothing as silly or stupid as that had happened prior to that. Minnesota needs to keep focus and put that crap aside, it is all about winning the game, and keeping there eye on the big prize a rematch for the Big 10 title with Ohio State.

It is quite obvious from the Big 10 office press release and from the talking heads on the Big 10 network, from the office to the conference comissioner, and the Big 10 officials that for monetary reasons and the media hype they very much favor a potential Wisconsin/Ohio State
in Indianapolis match up. It is up to the Gophers to crash the party, keep there cool and do not respond to the cheap shots and likelihood that the Big 10 officials will be looking for every excuse to throw the flag on Minnesota. We need to see the Gophers out hustle, out run, meet at the football and stop Melvin Gordon, you have to attack the guy instead of just watching him or it is game over. The Gophers need to play harder and play to the whistle on every down. Gophers are going to have to play with confidence and refuse to lose, the bottom line is the conference and the Media want Wisconsin in the title game not us, we need to upset the applecart.

wow that Brian Bennett guy really doesn't like the gophers does he? Way to write an article about it and make it seem like it was all the Gophers fault for defending the goalpost. Way to NOT research anything regarding the incident before writing your article. Please just leave out the jackass Sconnie players that had to run through the dance team etc singing "Hail Minnesota". They got carried away celebrating and we took exception to it. We don't care about chopping down goal posts. Who the F is Gary Anderson think he is? He is brand new to this rivalry and has no place changing the traditions. If they want to make it "safer" then put the Axe in one of the end zones. We need to win the Axe back and then make our own rules about it; leave it in our trophy case and not give it to them at all.

Top Bottom