Worried about the PG.

balds

Reaction score
Mahtieu just doesn't seem to be the player he was last year. Is fatherhood taking it's toll on him? In the scrimmage he was borderline awful, and was ho-hum vs. UMD despite scoring some points, and was a total non-factor tonight. Frankly, If I were to go off just what I've seen this year, Mason would get the majority of minutes at PG.

Good thing that a player's season isn't decided based off one game.

Mahtieu just doesn't seem to be the player he was last year. Is fatherhood taking it's toll on him? In the scrimmage he was borderline awful, and was ho-hum vs. UMD despite scoring some points, and was a total non-factor tonight. Frankly, If I were to go off just what I've seen this year, Mason would get the majority of minutes at PG.

Lol

Good thing we've played a total of 2 games, one of which actually counted, against a final four contender

Don't jump off a high ledge. Unbelievable OP.

Mathieu had these types of games last year too. He is an inconsistent player. When he plays well the team plays well when he doesn't play well you get what we saw tonight.

Nothing to worry about. He is what he is - inconsistent.

I'm a little worried, too. He does need to pull his head out of his ass.

The UMD game was not great for lil' dre. However, keep in mind that Louisville is one of few teams that we will go against where the guy guarding lil dre is bigger AND just as explosive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year he was free-wheling and erratic (which was great). This year he seem measured and cautious. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but I'm concerned.

Last year he was free-wheling and erratic (which was great). This year he seem measured and cautious. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but I'm concerned.

It's been 1 game I don't know how you can say this year. Now if 2-3 months from now he's still playing like this then there is something wrong

It's been 1 game I don't know how you can say this year. Now if 2-3 months from now he's still playing like this then there is something wrong

Perhaps. He is a game changing player and he was the major reason for our success last year. I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned after watching him sleep walk through a scrimmage, ex-game and a major game on national TV. In all three he's looked dis-interested.

Mathieu got in foul trouble early which usually results in a disappointing game for most players. Going further, his strengths as a player were limited/neutralized by Louisville's athletes. Normally, Mathieu is the fastest and quickest player on the floor and can get wherever he wants to go. Against Louisville, he still may have been the fastest and quickest player on the floor but the difference wasn't significant between him and Jones/Rozier and Louisville had multiple athletes at 3,4,5 who could help and still recover. Even if Mathieu could get past a Louisville guard, he had to deal with big AND athletic big men in the lane...tough task for a 5'9 guard.

Perhaps. He is a game changing player and he was the major reason for our success last year. I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned after watching him sleep walk through a scrimmage, ex-game and a major game on national TV. In all three he's looked dis-interested.

I agree it's not good that he's been struggling, but let's not assume after 1 game and a scrimmage that he is going to struggle the whole year. Let's just see how the season progresses

4 of 18 from 3's - Many were wide open(King)that would have brought us back into the game - and terrible ft shooting! We need these guys to knock shots down - and don't foul so much!

Fouling is the natural result of playing against a quicker team. I don't think we'll see that so much in conference play.

Not panic, concern

Mathieu got in foul trouble early which usually results in a disappointing game for most players. Going further, his strengths as a player were limited/neutralized by Louisville's athletes. Normally, Mathieu is the fastest and quickest player on the floor and can get wherever he wants to go. Against Louisville, he still may have been the fastest and quickest player on the floor but the difference wasn't significant between him and Jones/Rozier and Louisville had multiple athletes at 3,4,5 who could help and still recover. Even if Mathieu could get past a Louisville guard, he had to deal with big AND athletic big men in the lane...tough task for a 5'9 guard.[/QUOTE/]

All you say is true but UMD did not present those obstacles and Mathieu contributed a poor performance there too. He definitely
is playing different. I agree he was inconsistent last year but that was more within a game. You don't become team MVP having
very many inconsistent entire games. He now has three entire poor games in a row. That is cause for concern, not panic.
His wow plays, his energy plays, his plays with toughness and heart have been replaced by whining. Pretty sure he'll figure it out
though. But why make excuses? He's been lousy the three public appearances.

It's mildly concerning, but let's not act like he didn't have bad games last year. The game at Nebraska comes to mind, just for one.

You might remember that Mathieu wasn't very good in that Thanksgiving tournament last year and wasn't consistently good until the Big Ten season got going. He didn't play particularly well tonight but I'm not worried at all about him.

I won't worry about Mathieu yet. He hasn't been good, but I'll trust he'll snap out of it.

You might remember that Mathieu wasn't very good in that Thanksgiving tournament last year and wasn't consistently good until the Big Ten season got going. He didn't play particularly well tonight but I'm not worried at all about him.

Yep, and I was going to use this observation a comment regarding Morris, who was getting bashed the one time I allowed myself to look at the in-game thread.

tumblr_inline_mm36jmo0xe1qz4rgp.gif

Mathieu got into foul trouble early in a number of games last year too. A lot of them on just stupid fouls. If he stops fouling, he'll be fine.

He will be just fine. He excels when he is the quickest and fastest player on the floor. This was going to be a tough match up for him against a much taller and equally athletic team. I would have felt better coming into this game if we would have had six or seven non conference games under our belt to give the entire team time to gel.

DeAndre gets too amped up some times and I think that was the case last night. It causes him to get too aggressive and to play too fast and careless. He needed to be a patient, steady presence at PG last night and he was not. The freshman, however, was much more poised. If the Gophers don't wet themselves at the FT line in the first half last night, this game is actually respectable considering that King, McNeil, and Morris were all way off.

You watched him play in the secret scrimmage?

Top Bottom