All Things NCAA Transfers and NBA declaration

Which is why the rule needs to be looked at closely. Freddy is an extreme example, but the rub on this thing to me has always been that the big boys could use the little guys as a farm system. I'm not sure that's what college basketball is about. More power to the Mercer guys, most of them being seniors, and I suspect a few of them also had the chance to jump ship and didn't, and then did something very special in the tournament.

I'm struggling with this based on the fact of if these guys are getting graduate level educations, let them go wherever they want to.

Perhaps, and I dont know if the NCAA can have this kind of pull, force the school to use normal grad school acceptance rules rather than watering it down (I'm assuming they are doing this) so then you really only have those that are seriously capable to be graduate school students making the move. The rest of them are just 5th year seniors milking the education out longer...

I'm struggling with this based on the fact of if these guys are getting graduate level educations, let them go wherever they want to.

Perhaps, and I dont know if the NCAA can have this kind of pull, force the school to use normal grad school acceptance rules rather than watering it down (I'm assuming they are doing this) so then you really only have those that are seriously capable to be graduate school students making the move. The rest of them are just 5th year seniors milking the education out longer...

I think the rule was cloaked as an educational one at the beginning and I don't doubt that the rule makers really did have that in mind. I am just having a hard time believing all these 5th year seniors are shopping themselves around for a grad program and not a basketball program. They look for an educational reason to justify basketball motivation. In principal, I could be in favor of it, but the way it has worked out treats the smaller schools like a farm system. Your suggestion about real grad school standards might just do the trick.

I think the rule was cloaked as an educational one at the beginning and I don't doubt that the rule makers really did have that in mind. I am just having a hard time believing all these 5th year seniors are shopping themselves around for a grad program and not a basketball program. They look for an educational reason to justify basketball motivation. In principal, I could be in favor of it, but the way it has worked out treats the smaller schools like a farm system. Your suggestion about real grad school standards might just do the trick.

Russell Wilson is the prime example, and I'm not knocking Wisconsin at all for taking him for one year. Bielema would have been a fool not to welcome Wilson into the fold. ... it's the biggest gift the doofus Bielema will ever receive.

But does anyone really think Wilson spent more than an hour or two in UW classrooms taking graduate-level courses? Would think it's pretty difficult to enforce/force someone who already has their undergraduate degree to actually attend grad-school classes. I'm skeptical of how many of these "grad students" (including incoming Gopher women's BB transfer Shae Kelley) actually earn/will earn their graduate degrees during that final year of eligibility. It seems like the final season is almost vacation-like, so I can't fault the athletes for doing it.

I'm skeptical of how many of these "grad students" (including incoming Gopher women's BB transfer Shae Kelley) actually earn/will earn their graduate degrees during that final year of eligibility. It seems like the final season is almost vacation-like, so I can't fault the athletes for doing it.

Not positive but I think the ncaa revised the rules for graduate transfers. It was transferring to a school that had a program not at your current school, and has become just taking graduate courses and not necessarily enrolled to get an advanced degree

Russell Wilson is the prime example, and I'm not knocking Wisconsin at all for taking him for one year. Bielema would have been a fool not to welcome Wilson into the fold. ... it's the biggest gift the doofus Bielema will ever receive.

But does anyone really think Wilson spent more than an hour or two in UW classrooms taking graduate-level courses? Would think it's pretty difficult to enforce/force someone who already has their undergraduate degree to actually attend grad-school classes. I'm skeptical of how many of these "grad students" (including incoming Gopher women's BB transfer Shae Kelley) actually earn/will earn their graduate degrees during that final year of eligibility. It seems like the final season is almost vacation-like, so I can't fault the athletes for doing it.

He didn't even have to go to class at Wisconsin in theory, just needed to be registered, football season's in the first semester

Anthony Mason's kid (Antoine) is available as a graduate transfer

6-3 Queens native leaving Niagara is nation's leading returning scorer at 25.6 ppg.

Does Kimani Young have any connections here? Mason more of a 2-guard than a wing, but he'd likely be a more productive 1-year pick-up than Malik Smith? However, I'd imagine Mason has his sights set on a brand-name program.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...oine-mason-plans-to-transfer-for-final-season

Not positive but I think the ncaa revised the rules for graduate transfers. It was transferring to a school that had a program not at your current school, and has become just taking graduate courses and not necessarily enrolled to get an advanced degree
Are you suggesting that taking a program at the transfer school that was not at the first school is the current requirement, or that it used to be that way and has changed?

6-3 Queens native leaving Niagara is nation's leading returning scorer at 25.6 ppg.

Does Kimani Young have any connections here? Mason more of a 2-guard than a wing, but he'd likely be a more productive 1-year pick-up than Malik Smith? However, I'd imagine Mason has his sights set on a brand-name program.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...oine-mason-plans-to-transfer-for-final-season

I am almost positive that Mason's AAU team participated in one of New Heights Youth camps or tournaments while Kimani was the Athletic Director for them. So I would imagine there is some type of relationship.

I am almost positive that Mason's AAU team participated in one of New Heights Youth camps or tournaments while Kimani was the Athletic Director for them. So I would imagine there is some type of relationship.

Doesn't look like we are involved with Mason according to http://zagsblog.com/articles/niagara-transfer-antoine-mason-has-a-ton-of-interest/. There are a ton of schools that are though, wow.

"The 6-foot-3 Mason, the son of former Knick forward Anthony Mason, told a Buffalo news station he has been contacted by Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Providence, Auburn, Wake Forest, Maryland, Missouri, Texas A&M, Memphis, LSU, Fordham, Tennessee, Oregon, Virginia Tech, Nevada, Boston College, and UCLA."

Looks like there won't be another Mason or Martin added to the Gophers' 2014-15 roster. Bummer. Would have liked to add a legitimate scoring option at the G/W positions.

Doesn't look like we are involved with Mason according to http://zagsblog.com/articles/niagara-transfer-antoine-mason-has-a-ton-of-interest/. There are a ton of schools that are though, wow.

"The 6-foot-3 Mason, the son of former Knick forward Anthony Mason, told a Buffalo news station he has been contacted by Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Providence, Auburn, Wake Forest, Maryland, Missouri, Texas A&M, Memphis, LSU, Fordham, Tennessee, Oregon, Virginia Tech, Nevada, Boston College, and UCLA."

According to Jon Rothstein, Mason has narrowed list to Auburn, Boston College, and Providence.

According to Jon Rothstein, Mason has narrowed list to Auburn, Boston College, and Providence.

Interesting, not exactly the three schools I would have thought from his original list if he was primarily looking to either be on a winning team or gain national exposure to boost his stock.

Interesting, not exactly the three schools I would have thought from his original list if he was primarily looking to either be on a winning team or gain national exposure to boost his stock.

If I had to guess, I'll say Providence. Ed Cooley has the Friars on an upswing, and Bryce Cotton was pretty much a one-man wrecking crew last season. I'm sure Mason sees that there'll be plenty of shots available for a go-to guy.

Justin Martin is headed to SMU. That puts to rest all of that speculation.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Providence transfer Josh Fortune is hearing from Colorado, Cal, Valpo, Dayton, Purdue, Minnesota, and Virginia, his mom told <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSports">@CBSSports</a>.</p>— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/statuses/477130518966722560">June 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MSU lands a a pair of transfers: Forbes will try for immediate eligibility

Eron Harris (17.2 ppg @ West Virginia) will have to sit out a year. Bryn Forbes (Cleveland State) likely will file a waiver for immediate eligbility. Forbes, a HS teammate of current Spartan Denzel Valentine, averaged 15.6 ppg while shooting 42% from 3.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...bryn-forbes-transfers-michigan-state-spartans

Izzo does it the right way

So publicly lamenting the rising number of transfers and while simultaneously recruiting multiple transfers is the "right way"? Izzo loves to draw attention to himself and get on his high horse, but in reality he's like a lot of other coaches out there, just more attention-getting and successful than most.

So publicly lamenting the rising number of transfers and while simultaneously recruiting multiple transfers is the "right way"? Izzo loves to draw attention to himself and get on his high horse, but in reality he's like a lot of other coaches out there, just more attention-getting and successful than most.

Sorry. Was being sarcastic. The Real truth went on and on about how Izzo (and Tubby) do it "the right way", don't take transfers, etc. and that's why they don't win as much anymore. And yet, here is Izzo taking transfers.

Tim Williams (Samford) to Iowa?

Per CBS' Jon Rothstein, Iowa is in the mix for 6-8 transfer forward Tim Williams. A Chicago native, Williams averaged 17.6 ppg and 7.3 rpg in his sophomore season @ Samford. New Mexico and Dayton other possible landing spots.

Per CBS' Jon Rothstein, Iowa is in the mix for 6-8 transfer forward Tim Williams. A Chicago native, Williams averaged 17.6 ppg and 7.3 rpg in his sophomore season @ Samford. New Mexico and Dayton other possible landing spots.

Williams was reportedly in Iowa City for a visit today, and is expected in Madison for a visit this weekend. Bo very rarely takes transfers, but Williams had two really productive seasons at Samford and looks like he could be a nice addition.

Xavier's Justin Martin chose SMU and is eligible immediately. I wonder if we had a shot at him:

Justin Martin is transferring to SMU from Xavier and is expected to be eligible next season.

The 6-foot-6 forward was a starter the last two of his three seasons with the Musketeers. Martin was second on the team in scoring (11.7 points per game) and rebounding (5.2) as a junior.

Martin is eligible because he earned his bachelor's degree at Xavier, which went to the NCAA tournament twice in his three seasons.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mens-coll...1139557/justin-martin-transferring-smu-xavier

Go Gophers!!

Guess he didn't like Dawkins bringing in Travis and Humphries

Top Bottom