All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

You should have seen his reaction after they got beat in the championship game and when he received his runner up medal. Didn't leave a very good impression on how he acted!

Correct. Him, Champers, Amir and another guy... It was pretty pathetic and beyond distaste of losing.

Disappointment in losing in that manner is one thing. Taking off your 2nd place medal, throwing it on the bench, and then not coming up to accept the team trophy with everyone else is a little sketchy.

Disappointment in losing in that manner is one thing. Taking off your 2nd place medal, throwing it on the bench, and then not coming up to accept the team trophy with everyone else is a little sketchy.

It's a lot sketchy. Sorry.

Sounds like a teachable moment from a coach or parent, hopefully they took advantage of it. Character isn't set in stone at 15

It was very classless act on there part by those 3.. I will cut a sophomore alittle more slack then seniors on this situation..I am guessing his hard nose father had alittle chat with him about this situation. The sad part about it was novak just standing there and coaches doing nothing about it.

It was very classless act on there part by those 3.. I will cut a sophomore alittle more slack then seniors on this situation..I am guessing his hard nose father had alittle chat with him about this situation. The sad part about it was novak just standing there and coaches doing nothing about it.

It gives Hopkins a black eye if you ask me. The test for anyone is how they handle adversity and losing.

I just want to appreciate for a second that we are spending time criticizing a sophomore in high school.

Secondly, the dude was upset about loosing the title game and didn't want to celebrate second place?? GOOD! He didn't show up the opponent, he said why are we happy to get second? Again, GOOD!

Third, why is there a second place "celebration" right after the game anyways? What other major sport above the high school level does this? An award celebration for a team of competitors who just lost the biggest game of their season? I'm shocked they weren't out there thrilled and smiling, shocked I tell you!

I just want to appreciate for a second that we are spending time criticizing a sophomore in high school.

Secondly, the dude was upset about loosing the title game and didn't want to celebrate second place?? GOOD! He didn't show up the opponent, he said why are we happy to get second? Again, GOOD!

Third, why is there a second place "celebration" right after the game anyways? What other major sport above the high school level does this? An award celebration for a team of competitors who just lost the biggest game of their season? I'm shocked they weren't out there thrilled and smiling, shocked I tell you!

+1

Could he and his teammates handled it differently? Sure.. but c'mon man, why are we forcing kids to do this after a heartbreaking loss. Its weird.

+1

I guess some people are more okay with that behavior than others. Had that been me displaying that attitude, my parents would have corrected me REAL fast. Even as a sophomore in high school.

I guess some people are more okay with that behavior than others. Had that been me displaying that attitude, my parents would have corrected me REAL fast. Even as a sophomore in high school.
Quit recruiting him. What a terrible act. Let's analyze the video. How could the coaches stand there and watch this heinous act.? What should they have done, grabbed them and wrapped the medal around their necks? I guess I'm more concerned about behavior that hurts people not some stupid second place ceremony. Holier than though much?

Quit recruiting him. What a terrible act. Let's analyze the video. How could the coaches stand there and watch this heinous act.? What should they have done, grabbed them and wrapped the medal around their necks? I guess I'm more concerned about behavior that hurts people not some stupid second place ceremony. Holier than though much?

So does that mean you're OK with that behavior and it doesn't matter? I think it matters because it's a teachable moment for an individual to show better class and humility. Certainly not enough to change our opinion and recruiting strategy as a sophomore, but mplarson merely suggested that particular behavior is not becoming of an individual and hopefully will be addressed at some point. So much hyperbole on this board...

Coffey is a very talented player and his father is all class. I'd love to see Amir in the Maroon and Gold and have no doubt he'd represent the University well. Some of you guys are making a lot out of a very small molehill. If the worst thing a kid ever does is not act appropriately (in your mind) after a devastating loss, then that kid is close to a saint. I want kids who are competitors and most competitors don't take losing well.

Go Gophers!

Congrats to you and your parents.

Congrats to you and your parents.
No big deal. Amir is understandably egocentric and did show lack of maturity however most likely a lesson learned about sucking it up and being classy after you lose a basketball game . Hopefully his parents use this as a teachable moment .

I feel like those saying this is no big deal would be the same ones downplaying a team running up the score by saying "if you don't like it, stop it."

Definitely not the end of the world, but definitely a teachable moment.

Can't believe people are still discussing a KID being upset about losing a championship. The KID is competitive and extremely passionate, our team needs more of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Can't believe people are still discussing a KID being upset about losing a championship. The KID is competitive and extremely passionate, our team needs more of that.

+1 this board needs to move on from this.

Thank you! It would be more embarissing if the coach would have to go over and grab the kid and put on his medal. Just leave it alone

Recruiting during the social media age: if Coffey had showed this passion 25 years ago after a high school championship game, Sid may have reported, "Amir Coffey, stand-out recruit, was noticeably disappointed when his team didn't prevail in the championship game...."

We would have read this and been impressed with the young man's sense of commitment.

Nearly all high school athletes react as if the most important event in their life has just occurred - because it has at the time.

An isolated emotional reaction is certainly not something to assess a young man's character. If we want our local products to stay home, praise them when deserved, reserve judgment when they react. The Coffeys are a top notch family in my book!

Its Hopkins basketball, you are expected to win championships, its not like its their first state tourney appearance in 20 years and they should be happy with just being there. I wouldn't expect them to give a rap about a second place ceremony, why does second even get medals for a basketball tourney anyways? I'm fine with individuals getting second place medals in sports like golf and tennis but you shouldn't be rewarded for getting anything except first in a sport like basketball.

This is funny. I want Amir to play for the Gophers more than any player we're recruiting. Can't wait to see him, Jarvis, and Illikainen playing for the same team.

Hadn't heard about Brock going to Pulley. That's a little surprising if true.

EYBL Team – Coach Antwan Harris: Sacar Anim - DeLaSalle, Brock Bertram - Apple Valley, Bjorn Broman - Lakeview Christian, Amir Coffey - Hopkins Josh Collins - DeLaSalle, Alex Illikainen - Grand Rapids Jarvis Johnson - DeLaSalle, Sam Neumann - Cretin-DH Brady Reinke - Prairie Seed Academy, Joe Rosga - Cretin-DH

EYBL Team – Coach Antwan Harris: Sacar Anim - DeLaSalle, Brock Bertram - Apple Valley, Bjorn Broman - Lakeview Christian, Amir Coffey - Hopkins Josh Collins - DeLaSalle, Alex Illikainen - Grand Rapids Jarvis Johnson - DeLaSalle, Sam Neumann - Cretin-DH Brady Reinke - Prairie Seed Academy, Joe Rosga - Cretin-DH

Can the entire team just sign a collective LOI right now plzthx?

Top Bottom