All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

I have a question. what are the names of Carlie Wagner's parents? I taught in New Richland-Hartland from 1968-78, and may have had blood lines in my Math classes. That was before I went to Med School.

Don, I believe you gave me a few "D's" back in the day. I never thanked you for NOT giving me the F's I deserved.

You might have predated the Wagner's, but Jane is a Somage. You would have known her older sister Sue and her brother Mike. Mike might have been on you last team.

Don, I believe you gave me a few "D's" back in the day. I never thanked you for NOT giving me the F's I deserved.

You might have predated the Wagner's, but Jane is a Somage. You would have known her older sister Sue and her brother Mike. Mike might have been on you last team.

You probably did enough to earn the D. I never required much work for a student to get an F. :)

After the men's game on Sunday, the women host SMU in Round 2 at 5PM.

Carlie Wagner and her New Richland/////// team now on Ch 45 vs Howard Lake/////////

Carlie Wagner and her New Richland/////// team now on Ch 45 vs Howard Lake/////////

Having a bit of an off-night (hardly an off-night for anyone else), but obviously proving once again that she can create at will and hit some nice shots. Look for her to turn it up in the second half. I think she has like 15 points and 4/5 rebounds at the half. She'll definitely start for the Gophers next year.

Carlie's little sisters Maddie and Marnie (both in 9th grade) will likely both get offered sometime within the next year by the Gophers coach (whoever it may be). They each have about 10 points at the half, each are 2/3 on 3-pointers, and are active on defense. I expect both to eventually end up in maroon and gold.

Carlie just breaks state tournament scoring record of 329 pts held by Janet Karvonen.....They both can shoot.

Wagner with 41 pts tonight. Went 17-19 FTs. Can she teach our men's team the art of the FREE throw?! :)

Wagner with 41 pts tonight. Went 17-19 FTs. Can she teach our men's team the art of the FREE throw?! :)

It is a simple concept: Ball smaller than rim. Put it in the hole.

BTW, GameDay...are you a 100% FT shooter???

Carlie Wagner and her team just about to get started in the AA Championship game.

That kid is something! WOW! (To barrow a phrase from Dave Lee)

The Gopher women just might need two balls next year though.

The Gopher women just might need two balls next year though.

Is there a chance the threat of losing this recruiting class saves Borton for another year? I'd be surprised, but I'm not up on just how good this class is. Are these girls Rachel Banham/Lindsey good?

I knew Wagner could really score but she is really a great all around player. It will be nice to have someone other than Banham actually be able to dribble and create. Really noticed today how great of a passer Wagner is as well, I would think she starts from day 1 and is probably the 2nd best player on the roster as soon as she arrives. Her twin Freshman sisters also look like they are gonna be the real deal and they should probably have a scholarship offer as soon as the NCAA rules allow.

If they don't fire Borton, will be interesting to see if Borton can still screw up a team with 3 talents the likes of Banham, Wagner, and Zahui B.

" 2nd best player " Not next year. The big Swede will be a year older and wiser; plus stronger.

Watched Wagner for the first time last nite. Extremely good shooter-smooth delivery with quick release. Goes to her left as well as her right. Very good passer. Obviously a BIG-time scorer.

I see her replacing Noga next year........as a sf/3g/wing or whatever you want to call it. She's basically a 5 11 pg now. Plays rather stiff and upright. Will need to play a little more aggressive and physical in the Big Ten.

She's sounds like a gal that goes to the U regardless who the coach is.

Video with interview.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/01/24/aspire-athlete-of-the-week-for-jan-24-2014-carlie-wagner/

" 2nd best player " Not next year. The big Swede will be a year older and wiser; plus stronger.
The big Swede might be older, wiser, and stronger but from what I've seen Wagner is just a flat out better player and much more valuable player that can create on her own or for others. There is absolutely no excuse if the women can't make a run next year with players like Banham, Wagner, and Zahui B.

If they don't fire Borton, will be interesting to see if Borton can still screw up a team with 3 talents the likes of Banham, Wagner, and Zahui B.

Be nicer to see if another coach could get a team with those talents to a conference championship.

PiPress: Gophers women's basketball: AD Teague bullish on team's future

Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague sees potential for the women's basketball program to be an NCAA tournament team next season behind the tandem of Rachel Banham and Amanda Zahui B.

"I think so," Teague said Saturday. "When you have two players coming back like that, it's certainly encouraging for what you can do."

Teague did not want to address the future of Minnesota coach Pam Borton, who failed to reach the NCAAs for the fifth straight year.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...ens-basketball-ad-teague-bullish-teams-future

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers women's basketball: AD Teague bullish on team's future

Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague sees potential for the women's basketball program to be an NCAA tournament team next season behind the tandem of Rachel Banham and Amanda Zahui B.

"I think so," Teague said Saturday. "When you have two players coming back like that, it's certainly encouraging for what you can do."

Teague did not want to address the future of Minnesota coach Pam Borton, who failed to reach the NCAAs for the fifth straight year.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...ens-basketball-ad-teague-bullish-teams-future

Go Gophers!!

Not even a vote of confidence. Feels like she's a dead man walking.

I can't imagine keeping Borton after the decline of the program compounded by an average season with two very strong players in Banham and Zahui. Add in the fact that she started the season with only 10 players on the roster, Borton should not be retained after this season. I hope Teague has interviews lined up for the next couple weeks. Banham, Zahui and Wagner in the program next season should entice a very solid coach to move to MN.

I think they are about to announce Whalen as the next coach, I just saw her at the Vu downtown.

What really bothers me is the quote that there is potential to get into the NCAA tournament. This is the Big Ten. We should not be hoping just to get a tournament berth. That is the University of Albany. A good season for a B1G team involves a major tournament run or being involved in the fight for the conference title late into the season.

Question for those of you that follow the recruiting more closely than me:

How good is the rest of the incoming recruiting class, and how good are the MN gals that are going somewhere else?

Incoming Class

Question for those of you that follow the recruiting more closely than me:

How good is the rest of the incoming recruiting class, and how good are the MN gals that are going somewhere else?

Wagner is not even the top-ranked player in the class from MN according to one source.

"Blue Star Basketball has Minnesota's signing class ranked 23rd nationally, with Coughlin ranked 89th, Wagner at No. 100, Buckingham at No. 172, Jacobs at No. 179 and Bessard at No. 260."

Here is the class announcement from GopherSports.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111313aaa.html

Wagner is not even the top-ranked player in the class from MN according to one source.

"Blue Star Basketball has Minnesota's signing class ranked 23rd nationally, with Coughlin ranked 89th, Wagner at No. 100, Buckingham at No. 172, Jacobs at No. 179 and Bessard at No. 260."

Here is the class announcement from GopherSports.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111313aaa.html

From what I saw in the tournament, I'll go with this evaluation. From the link you provided.

The highest-ranked player in the signing class is Wagner, a 5-foot-10 guard who has rewritten the record books at NRHEG and is a leading candidate for Minnesota's Miss Basketball and various other player of the year awards. Among the evaluations, espnW HoopGurlz gives Wagner a four-star rating and a grade of 95 and lists her 54th among its Top 100 players in the nation, including ninth among point guards.

Must say, considering she is such a scorer, Wagner sure seemed to be left open a lot. Won't be quite that easy in college.

Top Bottom