GAME #25: Gophers (16-8, 5-6) @ #21 wisconsin (19-5, 6-5) [ESPN, 2/13, 8:00PM]

People have been clamoring for King to start in front of Oto, then he comes up with 1 rebound in 23 minutes, and Oto has 4 in 15minutes. Both Oto and King were horrible, and Dekker and Hayes are two of the hardest man to man matchups in the big ten. Kaminsky owned both EE and MO. Brust owned Austin too, not sure if they were matched up? Hard for us to win at Kohl, MO and lil Dre owned them last game and Sconny really played those two well. Glad Smith's 3's were falling we needed them badly! Great bounce back game for Dre Hollins! The sky isn't falling.

Yep. Our team lacks quickness. I know Martin will improve that at the 4, but I'm not sure the other players will because I don't know much about their quickness. If we can get Piper and Mahmoud we would improve even more in that area. We would also improve our length, which we really need to do to play league winning defense.

So does Wisky. We shouldn't have had that much trouble defending them at all. Poor effort and execution on our part. Giving up 78 to one of the slowest teams in the country shouldn't happen.

One thing I have noticed lately...

I thought we were going to be this high energy pressing team? When was the last time we had a breakaway dunk off of a forced turnover? Don't get me wrong we are getting steals but nothing is leading to fast breaks. Can we please try to mix up our press if we are going to stress that this is the type of team we are? Try to trap people! Wisconsin isn't exactly the most skilled team at the guard position.

Oto is one of the most unathletic pf's I've ever seen and slow as molasses. There is nobody that is ready to get up the court at all and they don't put any effort to get out and beat the other team down to the other end. I've also noticed they are constantly trying to steal the ball rather than playing decent defense and get caught reaching for the ball while the player is putting up a shot, going past them or passing. They are too focused on steals (and not getting them) and the defense is suffering from it.

It was a bad game in a venue where teams tend to have bad games. Add in the fact that Wisky got a few favorable calls and they had bricks magically rolling into the net, thats a tough game to win.

We were definitely sluggish, and you guys are absolutely right we are not playing Pitino's full system yet. But what do you want? This place clamors about how he needs to turn the press off when we get beat down the court time and time again due to lack of players and length, and then when he doesn't put in his high pressure press you bitch and moan about being too slow...

The inability of Minnesota sports fans to see what is going on during a rebuild is remarkable, you would think we would be used to it by now considering the majority of the franchises in the state are in perpetual rebuilds....

It was a bad game in a venue where teams tend to have bad games. ... We were definitely sluggish, and you guys are absolutely right we are not playing Pitino's full system yet. But what do you want? This place clamors about how he needs to turn the press off when we get beat down the court time and time again due to lack of players and length, and then when he doesn't put in his high pressure press you bitch and moan about being too slow...

The inability of Minnesota sports fans to see what is going on during a rebuild is remarkable, you would think we would be used to it by now considering the majority of the franchises in the state are in perpetual rebuilds....

Amen.

Lord grant me patience, but I want it (all) right now.

It was a bad game in a venue where teams tend to have bad games. Add in the fact that Wisky got a few favorable calls and they had bricks magically rolling into the net, thats a tough game to win.

We were definitely sluggish, and you guys are absolutely right we are not playing Pitino's full system yet. But what do you want? This place clamors about how he needs to turn the press off when we get beat down the court time and time again due to lack of players and length, and then when he doesn't put in his high pressure press you bitch and moan about being too slow...

That is part of the problem. I have seen so many years with so many teams when I am told "look at all the positives, green fields are just around the corner, we are improving", only to realize that Tim Brewster.....or Todd Richards.....or Kurt Rambis......or Tubby Smith.......or Leslie Frazier isn't taking us to the promised land. The fact that a team is rebuilding does not necessarily mean it is on the right track. I like our prospects under Pitino, but I have been fooled before, and I have trouble faulting people who are impatient given what we have been through.

That is part of the problem. I have seen so many years with so many teams when I am told "look at all the positives, green fields are just around the corner, we are improving", only to realize that Tim Brewster.....or Todd Richards.....or Kurt Rambis......or Tubby Smith.......or Leslie Frazier isn't taking us to the promised land. The fact that a team is rebuilding does not necessarily mean it is on the right track. I like our prospects under Pitino, but I have been fooled before, and I have trouble faulting people who are impatient given what we have been through.

Less than 8 months into the new regime I dont think it's too much to ask to just temper expectations a bit? We looked like **** against a team that has a reputation of making people look like ****, in a year in which they were ranked in the top 10 and were almost crowned big 10 champions before the league started. They aren't that good, but they aren't as bad as they were when they lost 3 in a row either... Same goes for us.

Remember when people on here thought Austin Hollins had NBA potential?

I will admit to being one of those. I will also admit to being very disappointed with Austin's offensive skill set over the past month. Austin, if you're out there, we need ya on offense!!! Please channel the spirit of your dad, please!!!

That game was a dog. Was in attendance and with 8 min left in the first half it was clear we had no shot. Not a lot of gold in the audience last night. Lack of intensity and mental focus in the first half was very disappointing. I put that on the coaches. Oto should be ashamed for that careless pass, which I feel was a turning point. If Mo does not get called for moving screen when Malik hits a three, perhaps the first half has a different narrative. However no one to blame but themselves.

We need help at the 3/4 positions, badly.

Bro.....it's not easy to get an MBA degree.

It's very easy. It's just hard to get into certain schools. An M.B.A. is a joke that the vast majority of people in business don't need and should never need. The course work is also a joke.

If you think an M.B.A. is hard try getting a J.D., M.D., or Ph.D.

It's very easy. It's just hard to get into certain schools. An M.B.A. is a joke that the vast majority of people in business don't need and should never need. The course work is also a joke.

I'll assume you have one of each?

Getting a J.D. is not hard at all. Getting one that is worth the cost of tuition is.

Getting a J.D. is not hard at all. Getting one that is worth the cost of tuition is.

Yeah you're right. Getting a J.D. is a fight against boredom, time, and snobbery. As in law school is incredibly boring, it is a waste of time as you don't actually learn anything for three years when you could offer the same degree in two years and not waste people's time and money, and 85% of the students are completely intolerable and self-important.

I've got the MBA, I'll have the JD in 3 months (both from the U). My perspective on the MBA was that if all you are interested in is being able to cal yourself an "MBA", you could coast through the coursework, not learn a lot, and get your B's with very little effort. If you really wanted to learn the stuff (which I do find valuable) and get the top grades, the workload was not appreciably different between the two programs.

Why on earth would someone waste that much time, energy, and money?

If you get more than one of those degrees you don't know what you're doing in life.

Ah. So we have an expert. Thanks for the insight.

Can somebody tell me why the Pioneer Press publishes a Wisconsin State Journal article on their website about Wisconsin turning the corner? The WSJ would NEVER publish an article about the Gophers from a Twin Cities publication. Seems odd.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wisconsin Badgers: Is victory over Minnesota the turning point? <a href="http://t.co/G0UUE7K2Fa">http://t.co/G0UUE7K2Fa</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/434435644241108993">February 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can somebody tell me why the Pioneer Press publishes a Wisconsin State Journal article on their website about Wisconsin turning the corner? The WSJ would NEVER publish an article about the Gophers from a Twin Cities publication. Seems odd.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wisconsin Badgers: Is victory over Minnesota the turning point? <a href="http://t.co/G0UUE7K2Fa">http://t.co/G0UUE7K2Fa</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/434435644241108993">February 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Because most minnesotans/gopher fans find it preferable to not live in wisconsin so no need to write an article about the gophers while many wisconsin people find minnesota to be a great place to be so our papers like to publish articles for their benefit. Not saying it isn't odd or anything and I don't like it but it is what it is.

Because most minnesotans/gopher fans find it preferable to not live in wisconsin so no need to write an article about the gophers while many wisconsin people find minnesota to be a great place to be so our papers like to publish articles for their benefit. Not saying it isn't odd or anything and I don't like it but it is what it is.

And yet Wisconsin isn't intolerable enough for these ****s to ditch their teams, they can stay there, if I ran one of our fortune 500 companies, I would make a conscious effort to not hire anyone with a UW degree. Their resumes would go straight to the paper shredder.

I wasn't expecting us to win last night but what seems a bit frustrating to me is that the team can find another gear when it needs to but doesn't seem to realize that if they played with the same sense of urgency they do when they played from behind they wouldn't be behind in the first place. If that makes sense I guess.

oh, and Wisconsin sucks.

Wisconsin does not suck. They are a perennial top 25/tournament team and rarely lose at home. Their coach, no doubt, is a scallywag, but damn he can get the best out of his players. Wisconsin is also one of the top 3-4 toughest institutions to get into in the Big 10 and has a more successful athletics programs than the University of Minnesota in the "relevant" years in the "relevant" sports. No, I don't cheer for the Badgers, no way. But I also am smart enough to understand that they do not "suck." If they did "suck," why did the Gophers lose to them? I respect that university's athletics program for staying top-notch, and most of all, clean. I wish I could say the same about Minnesota.

Wisconsin does not suck. They are a perennial top 25/tournament team and rarely lose at home. Their coach, no doubt, is a scallywag, but damn he can get the best out of his players. Wisconsin is also one of the top 3-4 toughest institutions to get into in the Big 10 and has a more successful athletics programs than the University of Minnesota in the "relevant" years in the "relevant" sports. No, I don't cheer for the Badgers, no way. But I also am smart enough to understand that they do not "suck." If they did "suck," why did the Gophers lose to them? I respect that university's athletics program for staying top-notch, and most of all, clean. I wish I could say the same about Minnesota.
You're not very good at detecting sarcasm are you?

Negativity, self-loathing, and sticking up for the Badgers? Isn't that maroonedinCA's job? :)

Tough loss, Mo and EE need to get their **** together. Neither showed up tonight. Mathieu, Dre, and Malik played pretty solid. Everyone else was mediocre at best. We still could have won the game even though we played so poorly. This team desperately needs to go on a winning streak.

Bo has the fans taught well, I sat in the lower bowl and all of the elderly fans were bitching everytime they called a foul on Wisconsin. I forgot how annoying most of the elderly UW alumni are at Wisconsin games.

Lastly, there was literally a middle aged man pissing into a snowbank no more than 10 feet from the exit of the Kohl Center. I've never seen anything like it.

You know the fans are "trained" well when they went crazy when the obvious technical was called against Kaminsky for hanging on the rim.

Remember when people on here thought Austin Hollins had NBA potential?

1. It wasn't just people here who were saying that. He was being slotted as a 2nd rounder in many mock drafts. Maybe there was some "homerism" in this, but it wasn't just Gopher fans thinking it.

2. I think most of the predictions came after his sophomore year where he really had a nice year on the offensive end. He shot 45%, up from 40.5% the year before. He shot 37% for 3-pointers, up from 26% the year before. He improved his free throw % from 69% to nearly 82%. With everything else he does well, I don't think it was that outlandish to think if he would have continued to improve his shooting, he'd be able to play at the next level. Not sure why his shooting has gotten worse as he became an upperclassman though.

Top Bottom