All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Washburn RB <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23JeffJones&src=hash">#JeffJones</a>, the state's Mr. Football, visits Iowa State this weekend.</p>— David Shama (@Minn_Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/Minn_Sports/statuses/411529453626347520">December 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• The Gophers currently have 13 commitments for their 2014 class, including New Market, Ala., safety Khari Blasingame, who committed this past week. Minneapolis Washburn running back Jeff Jones, who is the top-rated player in the state, had his first official visit this past week after once committing and then decommitting. He still favors Minnesota but will visit Michigan State, Iowa State and Missouri, according to GopherHole.com. Jones recently scored 37 points in a Washburn basketball game.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/235896841.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Washburn RB <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23JeffJones&src=hash">#JeffJones</a>, the state's Mr. Football, visits Iowa State this weekend.</p>— David Shama (@Minn_Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/Minn_Sports/statuses/411529453626347520">December 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Why not visit Colorado at the same time? Insert laugh...

I heard he plans a Western Michigan unofficial visit. In all seriousness though, Michigan State is the only one that worries me. Why would he go to Iowa state? He can be a star here and get more exposure, where all he would get at Iowa state is bottom of the conference exposure.

Michigan State however, that is troublesome.

Eh.....everything about Jones' recruitment has been weird. I'm not taking anything for granted until he actually signs.

It's hard to be positive with the way basketball recruiting has gone this year, but we must stay positive. He still has a verbal so we are favorites.

I heard he plans a Western Michigan unofficial visit. In all seriousness though, Michigan State is the only one that worries me. Why would he go to Iowa state? He can be a star here and get more exposure, where all he would get at Iowa state is bottom of the conference exposure.

Michigan State however, that is troublesome.

Maybe he finds other things important than being a star and exposure? Maybe he likes the coaching staff and University? Maybe he likes it being close to home? These things may not matter to most kids, but it does to some.

Maybe he finds other things important than being a star and exposure? Maybe he likes the coaching staff and University? Maybe he likes it being close to home? These things may not matter to most kids, but it does to some.

So, he'd choose Iowa State over us because it's 'close to home?'

So, he'd choose Iowa State over us because it's 'close to home?'

Details man. I said it is close to home. Never said closer than MN. It is, however, closer than Michigan State and Mizz. The question raised was why would he consider IA State. Sorry to bother you with context.

These kids get pampered on official visits to the extreme. Why not take more visits and enjoy them? I can't really blame him for wanting the enjoy the process. It sure sounds like Jones will still be a Gopher.

I get that feeling about Jones as well. That kid is very loyal. I think he stays but will take a few visits to make sure.

Good to hear if that's the case. It's been a weird recruitment, and Jones' statements seem to be all over the map.

according to MSU fans on the scout board their staff has stopped recruiting him when they landed RB Madre Landon, and they have 20 commits and they are looking to put the finishing touches on their class soon

I think that the biggest problem with Jones is someone his inner circle feels that he should go away to school. To placate him/her, and to satisfy himself, he's taking official visits. I think he has a pretty good connection with the coaches here and unless something extraordinary happens he's a Gopher.

I think that the biggest problem with Jones is someone his inner circle feels that he should go away to school. To placate him/her, and to satisfy himself, he's taking official visits. I think he has a pretty good connection with the coaches here and unless something extraordinary happens he's a Gopher.

I've never heard this. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I've just never heard this.

I know the Head Coach at Washburn has seemed to push him towards the U. In his interviews he talks highly of the U an all of that. I kind of doubt Jones' family would want him to go elsewhere, but I really don't know. It's interesting.

I always thought it was a matter of a young athlete liking the courting the process. I am sure being recruited is an incredible feeling for awhile. He has big name football coaches calling him and telling him how great he is and offering him free trips all over the country. It has to be a pretty intoxicating process. So I don't blame a kid for taking all of the trips and soaking it up a bit, he's earned it.

I always thought it was a matter of a young athlete liking the courting the process. I am sure being recruited is an incredible feeling for awhile. He has big name football coaches calling him and telling him how great he is and offering him free trips all over the country. It has to be a pretty intoxicating process. So I don't blame a kid for taking all of the trips and soaking it up a bit, he's earned it.
Except these really aren't big names or big schools. Iowa State? If he wanted a free trip all over the country why on earth is he going to Ames?

The most remarkable thing about Jones' recruitment is despite his declarations that he's keeping his recruiting process open, his biggest offers are still 2nd tier B1G teams and Missouri. Ragnow has offers from Ohio State and Florida State. JC is going to Bama.

Except these really aren't big names or big schools. Iowa State? If he wanted a free trip all over the country why on earth is he going to Ames?

The most remarkable thing about Jones' recruitment is despite his declarations that he's keeping his recruiting process open, his biggest offers are still 2nd tier B1G teams and Missouri. Ragnow has offers from Ohio State and Florida State. JC is going to Bama.

Michigan St., Wisconsin, and Iowa finished 1st, 3rd, and 4th respectively in the Big Ten this year.

i wonder if the lack of elite offers is due to character issues, just speculation on my part with the grade issues that have been talked about but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore

Michigan St., Wisconsin, and Iowa finished 1st, 3rd, and 4th respectively in the Big Ten this year.
Come on....I knew someone would say something like this. We're talking about recruiting. Are those schools in the same class as Ohio State and Michigan in recruiting? Does this really need to be explained?

What is Plan B in case Jones drinks the other kool-aid? Any news on Deron Thompson? Have we cooled on him?

It's a safe bet that we've cooled on Thompson. It appears he would have committed some time ago if we'd have accepted it. Herrod and Smith are the priorities it appears.

It's not that he gets to go to fascinating places. It's that he gets to go to different campuses for free. I think you might be forgetting a bit what it's like to be a 17 yr old. I remember being pumped up at 18 to go visit some friends who went to various small college towns scattered around the Upper Midwest. I wasn't trying to make the argument that he is getting wined and dined in the south of France. I am simply saying that for a lot of people 16-18, getting free trips to go visit a campus and party is really exciting. It has to be even more exciting when the guy who just won the BTC invites you to do it. Even Ames, yeah, I think it would be exciting to be a 17 yr old athlete and get a free trip to Ames to eat well, hang out with football players in the dorm, etc. It's an extremely unique experience.

If Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa are 2nd tier, who is first tier? Only Ohio State?

Come on....I knew someone would say something like this. We're talking about recruiting. Are those schools in the same class as Ohio State and Michigan in recruiting? Does this really need to be explained?

Sorry, I can't read your mind. If you "knew someone would say something like this", then why didn't you try to explain yourself a little bit better?

I agree Ohio St. and Michigan recruit at a different level. Not everyone has the same definition of 2nd tier, that is all.

But how does that change the experience for the athlete? I get that Michigan and Ohio State typically have higher ranked recruiting classes but I don't understand how that changes Jeff Jones offer sheet. You brought up his 2nd tier offers in response to saying that I could see how the process could be intoxicating for any athlete. Do you think he sees Dantonio win the BTC and invite him to East Lansing and think "yeah, but rivals had Michigan rated higher in 2012". Of course not.

From an outsider, I agree. Ohio State and Michigan typically recruit better than Michigan State and Wisconsin.

If Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa are 2nd tier, who is first tier? Only Ohio State?
In the world of recruiting? Michigan and Ohio State are in another league as far as the B1G goes. Penn State and Nebraska have the potential to get back up there, but haven't been recruiting at that national level lately.

When you talk about "helmet schools", do those schools ever come up? No. Why? Because they aren't big brand names that get the big kids at a national level. Michigan State and Iowa have a whopping zero 4-star kids this year. Not 5-star, 4-star.

I've never heard this. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I've just never heard this.

I know the Head Coach at Washburn has seemed to push him towards the U. In his interviews he talks highly of the U an all of that. I kind of doubt Jones' family would want him to go elsewhere, but I really don't know. It's interesting.

I've heard the same, that someone in his inner circle is trying to convince him he needs to be at a helmet school (which of course Iowa St is not).

After many years in sales, when you have a prospect sold but can't quite close the deal, because they keep looking at other options, I've learned that, most of the time it's because there's an outside influence. I could be wrong but Jones' recruitment seems to fit the pattern.

Top Bottom