Harrison Barnes- Gophers out of it

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
He is apparently now down to Iowa State, Kansas, UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, and Oklahoma of all places. Damn.

Is this a direct quote from Barnes or just going off of a list on Rivals, Scout, etc?

(Not that I think we have a prayer of landing him anyway but...)

Is this a direct quote from Barnes or just going off of a list on Rivals, Scout, etc?

(Not that I think we have a prayer of landing him anyway but...)

It's a direct quote:

"I have contacted schools not on this list to thank them for recruiting me," said Barnes. "Following are schools I'm considering attending the Fall of 2010: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), Duke University (Duke), University of Kansas (KU), University of Oklahoma (OU), and University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)

"I will also still be considering Iowa State University (ISU)," he added.

Based on recruiting classes for this year and next year, I'm betting on Kansas or Oklahoma. He appears to have minutes and the potential to be the guy at either place. Damn that hurts, other than UCLA (indifferent towards Oklahoma) the others could be the 3 schools/coaches I can't stand the most in NCAA basketball. Would be cool if he went the ISU route.

Based on recruiting classes for this year and next year, I'm betting on Kansas or Oklahoma. He appears to have minutes and the potential to be the guy at either place. Damn that hurts, other than UCLA (indifferent towards Oklahoma) the others could be the 3 schools/coaches I can't stand the most in NCAA basketball. Would be cool if he went the ISU route.

He's going to Duke and this has been set for some time. That's why he's in Kyrie Irving's ear begging him to come with him. That's why Duke laid off other wing prospects in the last few months. All this "staying close to home" stuff was lipservice. I'm sure ISU will be in it in the end (and KU) to take the sting off of choosing to go across the country to play basketball for Duke. It really hasn't been that big of a secret among the recruiting beatniks and journalists on the camp circuit.

I hope he does well even if he does go to Duke

Kid has a good head on his shoulders - I hope he truly becomes something special

I think I dislike Duke and Coach K the most in the NCAA. The NCAA wouldn't dare crack down on Coach K, The New Jersey Socially Elite (The Dukies), and John Feinstein regardless if they got busted Kelvin Sampson style. I don't think I could send my kid there if they had to choose between full-rides to Duke or Southwest State.

Frightening. I honestly didn't think Minnesota stood a chance at landing Barnes, but not getting him just reminds us all that we haven't gotten ANYONE from the Class of 2010. I know Tubby has come through late in the process before, but I'm honestly getting worried. I would hate for him to be forced to settle for two-star talent when everyone at the top of the league (Illinois especially) is quickly racking up some of the best recruiting classes in the nation.

He won't settle. He is either going to land some top prospects like Corey Joseph or he will save schollarships for next season.

It's not like we are going to be desperate for young kids to step in right away. We have plenty of young talent already that we can afford to not have a huge 2010 class.

4 scholarships- for a post, athletic wing, a shooter, and a point guard. Worst case scenario wouldn't be the end of the world to at least get a project post and either a wing or shooter, and bank two for next year.

Best case at this point appears to be Joseph or Releford, Thomas getting academics on track, Kirk, Eliason, or even Brown, and a stud wing who didn't sign in the early period jumping into the radar late and putting the class over the edge.

Hard to swallow Iowa putting together a decent class, and having four open spots. Then again Lickliter has a bunch of PT to sell.

He's going to Duke and this has been set for some time. That's why he's in Kyrie Irving's ear begging him to come with him. That's why Duke laid off other wing prospects in the last few months. All this "staying close to home" stuff was lipservice. I'm sure ISU will be in it in the end (and KU) to take the sting off of choosing to go across the country to play basketball for Duke. It really hasn't been that big of a secret among the recruiting beatniks and journalists on the camp circuit.

I have a hard time believing this has been "set." Maybe a Duke lean, or maybe the Dukies think they have him, but I doubt this is over. At various times he's supposedly been a Kansas lock as well.

I hate Duke. Man they're going to have a good team next year if they get Barnes, though, along w/ Seth Curry becoming re-eligible.

P.S. I'm pretty surprised we at least didn't get one of the 5 visits. Oklahoma and UCLA are head scratchers. Obviously good programs, but never heard much about them vis a vis Barnes. I have a feeling he included UCLA just to have one prestigious west coast school on the visit list. Oklahoma? Who knows, but maybe is more of a B12 guy than thought.

We only have 3 scholly's to give. We also have 3 more next year, (Bostick, Damion, Westbrook). I doubt he wants to bank a couple scholarships for next year and have to fill 5 in one class again. I could see one maybe but not two or three.

So disappointing. He really seemed like a guy who wanted to take a different path and not go to a school that's top 10 every year. I can't stand most of those schools on his list. They can just recruit so much off of reputation and it pisses me off. And everyone knows ISU on there is bs.

Now I just hope that we can get an eligible Jacob Thomas for this class. If we end up with a crap big man that's a work in progress I'm not going to be very happy.

Disappointed, but oh well… Maybe Barnes did us a favor in some way by dropping us rather early. At least, we can better focus on a wing prospect with him out of the picture if we were not meant to land him at all from the beginning.

I thought we had a chance at Barnes, so I am disappointed by this news (especially to see OU and UCLA on the list of 5). My thought was that Minnesota would become Barnes local choice and that if he decided North Carolina was too far away, he could end up a Gopher. I didn't think it was likely that Barnes would be a Gopher, but I thought that there was somewhere between a 10 and 20 percent chance. The fact that he also did not exactly put ISU in his top 5 suggests to me that hes decided he's fine with going a long way from Ames for school.

As for this class, I have been nervous for a long time, but there is still time. If the Gophers land Joseph and Kirk, they go from "what is going on?" to a 3rd really good class in a row. I will say that the success of some other Big Ten teams in 2010 really makes it important that the Gophers land some quality talent to keep from losing ground.

I think the overlooked aspect of the issues with the 2010 class is that it now gets us behind on 2011 as well. Those other Big Ten schools who have their commits for 2010 are on the trail checking out the 2011 kids while we try to fill 2010's class.

4 scholarships- for a post, athletic wing, a shooter, and a point guard. Worst case scenario wouldn't be the end of the world to at least get a project post and either a wing or shooter, and bank two for next year.

Best case at this point appears to be Joseph or Releford, Thomas getting academics on track, Kirk, Eliason, or even Brown, and a stud wing who didn't sign in the early period jumping into the radar late and putting the class over the edge.

Hard to swallow Iowa putting together a decent class, and having four open spots. Then again Lickliter has a bunch of PT to sell.

Gophers have 3 spots, not 4 (right now).

Gophers have 3 spots, not 4 (right now).

You are right. Regardless, this could be salvaged with getting a stud PG Joseph/Releford/McCallum, a project post Kirk/Eliason/or even Brown in the early period. I'd wouldn't mind seeing the last position a wing held for Thomas/someone who didn't sign early/or a later riser in April.

Is the coaching staff staying away from JUCOs this year?

Austin Hollins

I've heard we're interested in this kid. Think he's Lionel Hollins' kid. What do we know about him?

Here is some info on Hollins, who is from Germantown, TN, a "suburb" of sorts of Memphis.

Austin Hollins, SG, Nashville Celtics – Majority of the attention on the Celtics goes to Prather, but we think Hollins is quite a prospect as well. At 6-foot-4, Hollins has wide shoulders and an impressive long and lean body. At this point he does lack the strength to be physical when he attacks the rim, but he’s got a nice looking jump shot and above average athleticism. Against the young Pump team Hollins scored a number of buckets at the rim and worked the boards for put backs.

Here is a good recent article:

Still, as many as 28 college programs have inquired about Hollins' services, according to Mealer, including Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, Minnesota, Oregon State and the University of Memphis.

"Obviously he's got the last name, and that's helped with college recruiting. But I'll be honest -- he's earned most of that because of the way he's played," Mealer said. "He's had, legitimately, 28 schools that I feel like I've talked to on the phone and have said, 'If Austin Hollins will go here, we'll give him a scholarship.'"

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/20/hollins-earns-accolades/

Go Gophers!!

Count me disappointed in Barnes not coming as well. Not that we ever had him in the bag of course but it is exciting when the number one is considering us.

I wish him the best though, he seems to be fairly refreshing with his attitude and his head being on pretty straight. He'll do well wherever he lands. :)

I have a hard time believing this has been "set." Maybe a Duke lean, or maybe the Dukies think they have him, but I doubt this is over. At various times he's supposedly been a Kansas lock as well.

I hate Duke. Man they're going to have a good team next year if they get Barnes, though, along w/ Seth Curry becoming re-eligible.

Kyrie Irving is Rod Strickland's godson. Kyrie Irving is telling his family that Harrison Barnes wants him to go to Duke with him and is "bugging him" to commit.

I have more evidence. Things could change at the last minute and if I'm wrong I am wrong but I've seen, heard, read and discussed enough to be 99% certain on this.. Barnes is going to Duke and this is just a part of the game. Harrison Barnes is not stupid and he is just as savvy in his recruitment as any other top prospect. He's going to play this out and "build his brand" so to speak.

Honestly, who doesn't hate Duke. At least Paulus is gone... well, from one sport at least.

Top Bottom