All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

Funny video ... instead of the typical rap music (which drives me nuts) we hear parents/coaches yelling at the refs. LOL

JP has some good moves and could be a really good college player if he 1) bulks up, and 2) gets more elevation on his jumper. His jump shot often looks almost like a set shot.

Funny video ... instead of the typical rap music (which drives me nuts) we hear parents/coaches yelling at the refs. LOL

JP has some good moves and could be a really good college player if he 1) bulks up, and 2) gets more elevation on his jumper. His jump shot often looks almost like a set shot.

Neither one of these things concern me personally. He's really skinny right now, but he has the frame to add plenty of weight. With some time I'm confident that he will put on a good amount of muscle. I think his release is just fine too.

Neither one of these things concern me personally. He's really skinny right now, but he has the frame to add plenty of weight. With some time I'm confident that he will put on a good amount of muscle. I think his release is just fine too.

Sounds like he's also tough as nails & highly, highly competitive. You can't teach heart & from everything I hear he is a warrior.

I would red shirt him if at all possible. Very good size, nice frame, but right now doesn't have a B1G body. IIRC he even mentioned he would be open to that in his first GopherHole interview. He still has a year, but I would consider it.

I would red shirt him if at all possible. Very good size, nice frame, but right now doesn't have a B1G body. IIRC he even mentioned he would be open to that in his first GopherHole interview. He still has a year, but I would consider it.

Meh. Personally I think strength isn't that big of a deal for a guard who shoots a lot of threes (I know he isn't just a shooter). It would be different if he was a PF/C or a guy who depended on getting to the rim and finishing through contact. He'll get stronger between now and the time his freshman season starts anyway. Austin is as skinny as they come and he's doing just fine.

If he can help by putting the ball in the bucket right away, I would play him right away. He would hopefully be coming in with a superstar one-and-doner, along with Dre...could be a special year. I think Coach P believes he will be able to land future scorers as well, so no need to save the kid.

This is serious? Or are you trying to get into the Parski Dpo club?

Not at all. But this is not GREAT NEWS, because it is OLD news. If JP had been wavering on MN prior to the publication of this interview, then yes, I would say this is GREAT NEWS. But given the fact that JP has pretty much always praised MN in every interview, I just don't see this interview as being GREAT NEWS. Rather, it's more of the same old same old. The more this kid just talks about MN, the more nervous I get. Why doesn't he just commit already?

Not at all. But this is not GREAT NEWS, because it is OLD news. If JP had been wavering on MN prior to the publication of this interview, then yes, I would say this is GREAT NEWS. But given the fact that JP has pretty much always praised MN in every interview, I just don't see this interview as being GREAT NEWS. Rather, it's more of the same old same old. The more this kid just talks about MN, the more nervous I get. Why doesn't he just commit already?

That's fair. I do think the GopherHole tweet was slightly misleading. At the very least I was expecting a quote that said we were his #1 school right now.

If this is "great news" then I would think the most recent Tyus interview is "great news" as well. What did he tell us that is great news?

He told us it would be great to be the first commit. Big deal.

He told us it would be great to play in front of family. Big deal.

He told us he has a great relationship with the coaches. Big deal.

Nothing new here. We've heard those quotes from recruits we've gotten and from recruits we've lost. This tells us nothing.

If this is "great news" then I would think the most recent Tyus interview is "great news" as well. What did he tell us that is great news?

Nothing new here. We've heard those quotes from recruits we've gotten and from recruits we've lost. This tells us nothing.

I'd add that he seemed unenthused if not insulted by Indiana's pitch to him.

And the latest Tyus interview was good news...

+1000! Thank you!

Just be warned that Winasota Gopher and KSBGopher will call you illiterate or different from the rest of the world for not sharing their enthusiasm.

+1000! Thank you!

Just be warned that Winasota Gopher and KSBGopher will call you illiterate or different from the rest of the world for not sharing their enthusiasm.

Don't be mad because afurry is more articulate than you.

While I don't agree wholeheartedly with the idea that this isn't great news, I understand where afurry iscoming from and respect his opinion.

I think its great news to hear that JP is STILL talking about us that way. It certainly isn't bad news, or no news either. If we are going to fight over whether or not this is truly great news i guess we are in a good spot.

Given the context that GH "teased" with some "great news" I'll admit that I was disappointed he didn't say he wasn't going to go visit Creighton or ISU. But I'll take this great news over any other news any day.

Don't be mad because afurry is more articulate than you.

While I don't agree wholeheartedly with the idea that this isn't great news, I understand where afurry iscoming from and respect his opinion.

I think its great news to hear that JP is STILL talking about us that way. It certainly isn't bad news, or no news either. If we are going to fight over whether or not this is truly great news i guess we are in a good spot.

Given the context that GH "teased" with some "great news" I'll admit that I was disappointed he didn't say he wasn't going to go visit Creighton or ISU. But I'll take this great news over any other news any day.

Well I like how you automatically question my literacy when I merely posted my thoughts in a one sentence post. Maybe you should go back and read how further articulated my position on page 23.

I think we can at least both agree that when, and if, JP does commit, this will be great news.

Well I like how you automatically question my literacy when I merely posted my thoughts in a one sentence post. Maybe you should go back and read how further articulated my position on page 23.

I think we can at least both agree that when, and if, JP does commit, this will be great news.

FWIW you got articulate after I questioned your literacy, to my defense I was unaware of your capabilities at the time of questioning your literacy.... Maybe you should explain yourself in more than a one sentence post in the future to make sure we all understand that you do indeed posses some literary skills. :cool02:

And you are absolutely correct, it WILL be great news WHEN JP commits.

FWIW you got articulate after I questioned your literacy, to my defense I was unaware of your capabilities at the time of questioning your literacy.... Maybe you should explain yourself in more than a one sentence post in the future to make sure we all understand that you do indeed posses some literary skills. :cool02:

And you are absolutely correct, it WILL be great news WHEN JP commits.

Fair enough. Just please don't attack people as your first line of questioning next time. Alright, back to talking about JP...

It looks like his release point is higher than in previous recruiting video's. Maybe I'm crazy but it looks like he has been working on that.

I had the same impression. His release looked higher and quicker to me than I had previously thought. Also loved how he's attacking the basket.

I'm sure Badger fans would laugh at me for this comparison, but does anyone else think Macura could be a poorman's Sam Dekker? They both have sneaky good athletcism, shoot well, and have good to great basketball instincts. Dekker was a 5-star recruit and is a bit taller and perhaps more polished, but I think Macura could have a similar game. And I think that comparison is better than the Hoffarber one that so many people like to use.

I'm sure Badger fans would laugh at me for this comparison, but does anyone else think Macura could be a poorman's Sam Dekker? They both have sneaky good athletcism, shoot well, and have good to great basketball instincts. Dekker was a 5-star recruit and is a bit taller and perhaps more polished, but I think Macura could have a similar game. And I think that comparison is better than the Hoffarber one that so many people like to use.
Agreed that its a better comparisson, but its not close as Dekker is silky smooth while Macura is smooth like the other side of the pillow.

Macura only has one year of varsity under his belt. He is developing fast and is underrated as a result. He is going to be GREAT! He needs to be great in Maroon and Gold.

Dekker's a different type of player, plays a different position.

Macura's maybe a poor man's Sam Jacobson at this point of his career.

Macura is not as athletic as Sam. But can shoot and score like Sam.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lakeville North's JP Macura said if he used his last two official visits they would be to Minnesota and Iowa St. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— PiPress Gophers Now (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/374602240939421697">September 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>ISU still hopeful to have him Sept. 14. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow">@GophersNow</a> JP Macura said if he used his last 2 officials they would be to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> & Iowa St.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/374604256805793794">September 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Four months ago it seemed like Macura was dying to be a gopher and now he seems content on exploring his options and waiting. Were we just that late to the party or has his stock risen that much?

Four months ago it seemed like Macura was dying to be a gopher and now he seems content on exploring his options and waiting. Were we just that late to the party or has his stock risen that much?

I think it's because we were late. We probably could have had him earlier, but now he has seen other pastures and isgetting some attention. It's not Pitino's fault though.

Not sure where this is coming from. Pretty sure he said all along he planned on taking his visits and would probably make a decision in September. According to Fuller he said today that he could make a decision within a few weeks and in the tweet above it says "IF" he uses his last visits, which implies he might not. Nothing seems to have changed if you ask me. Still seems like we're in great position to land him.

As I've probably mentioned before, one of the writers for the Purdue Rivals website lived on my floor in the dorms back in the day. He eventually was the Sports editor for the school newspaper. Anyways, I still keep in touch with him on occasion and I asked his $0.02 on Macura and he said he just spoke to Macura's dad this weekend and it appears a decision will happen very soon. It's between Xavier, Minnesota, Purdue, Creighton, and Iowa State - which probably isn't news to anyone. That being said, he doesn't think Creighton or Iowa State are a factor. He fully expects Macura to pick Minnesota but Purdue and Xavier are right there. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Honestly, Purdue already has a very similar player locked up for 2014 (Dakota Mathias) so I'm hoping Painter uses that scholly to address a bigger need.

Top Bottom