Tailgating Lot Planned for U Students UPDATED 5/7: Students won't be carded

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all of the tailgating lots "prohibit" hard liquor? I think those restrictions are pretty reasonable.... plus they're probably more like guidelines anyway.. you know, to appease the law-folk. Those lot prices are cheap, too!

......................... I'm excited.

Plus I think at this point beggars can't be choosers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all of the tailgating lots "prohibit" hard liquor? I think those restrictions are pretty reasonable.... plus they're probably more like guidelines anyway.. you know, to appease the law-folk. Those lot prices are cheap, too!

......................... I'm excited.

No prohibition on hard liquor, just glass bottles and "large common containers"

Curious to see if there are any students on GH who have already bought/planning on buying their season pass?

No prohibition on hard liquor, just glass bottles and "large common containers"

Even with the prohibition on glass bottles, they have been pretty 'hands-off.' We had a glass bottle of vodka in the RV lot a couple of years ago, and they just strolled up and nicely asked us to keep in the RV because they didn't want any broken glass in the parking lot.

Even with the prohibition on glass bottles, they have been pretty 'hands-off.' We had a glass bottle of vodka in the RV lot a couple of years ago, and they just strolled up and nicely asked us to keep in the RV because they didn't want any broken glass in the parking lot.

Same here. I had a bottled beer once. The police officer told me to put it in a plastic container. When I told him I didn't have one he actually found one for me at a nearby tailgate.

So do the people on this thread making fun of the general student for needing a little coddling or a nudge to get them to tailgate for a team that hasn't won the Big Ten in 46 years feel the same way about the ridiculous amount of money spent on the athletes themselves in the facility arms race we are in? Honestly, the general student body gets maybe 1/100th the coddling the student athlete does. Give the ones who do come, tailgate, and party in the stadium a lot of credit.

Actually, yes. Hard liquor (distilled spirits) ARE prohibited.

But, that's besides the point. I guarantee you these restrictions are put in place to remove liability from TheU. If they are smart, they'll loosely regulate these rules and crack down only in extreme circumstances.

He was responding to a question on whether ALL tailgate lots prohibit hard booze. They don't, only the student lot does.

He was responding to a question on whether ALL tailgate lots prohibit hard booze. They don't, only the student lot does.

Well I'm sure glad the U is looking out for the students. They should probably limit the alcohol % in beer too, possibly limit it to 3.2% beer only. We sure don't want the kids to consume too much alcohol. After all, what does being of legal age have to do with anything.

So do the people on this thread making fun of the general student for needing a little coddling or a nudge to get them to tailgate for a team that hasn't won the Big Ten in 46 years feel the same way about the ridiculous amount of money spent on the athletes themselves in the facility arms race we are in? Honestly, the general student body gets maybe 1/100th the coddling the student athlete does. Give the ones who do come, tailgate, and party in the stadium a lot of credit.

I credit those who do show up. It's the constant whining and complaining from those who have no clue how good they've got it that rankles me. Go to your local Target in the next few weeks and you'll see what I mean. I was there yesterday and heard no fewer than 10 "going-to-college" kids bitch at their parents about items that were BEING BOUGHT FOR THEM.
I went to a small college in a bigger city and paid for everything myself. Our football team was absolutely brutal, including one winless season while I was there. We lived about six blocks from campus, and before every home game we had a party in our backyard. We then walked to the stadium, had fun, enjoyed the game, and then walked back home where we would usually grill and have a few more beers. There were no incentives to go to the games. No one had to provide free food and beer for us to attend. We made our own fun and enjoyed ourselves.
And this wasn't in the Dark Ages. There were plenty of other things to do.

I credit those who do show up. It's the constant whining and complaining from those who have no clue how good they've got it that rankles me. Go to your local Target in the next few weeks and you'll see what I mean. I was there yesterday and heard no fewer than 10 "going-to-college" kids bitch at their parents about items that were BEING BOUGHT FOR THEM.
I went to a small college in a bigger city and paid for everything myself. Our football team was absolutely brutal, including one winless season while I was there. We lived about six blocks from campus, and before every home game we had a party in our backyard. We then walked to the stadium, had fun, enjoyed the game, and then walked back home where we would usually grill and have a few more beers. There were no incentives to go to the games. No one had to provide free food and beer for us to attend. We made our own fun and enjoyed ourselves.
And this wasn't in the Dark Ages. There were plenty of other things to do.

GET OFF MY PROP-ER-TEE, SONNY!!!!

So you are just shaking your finger, and not a cane (yet)?

So can the U get all attorneys in the state prohibited from taking filing class ...

action legal proceedings against the U of M for allowing the students under the legal drinking age to consume mass quantities or even less than mass quantities of alcohol on University property. There will probably be moms and dads who get really pi$$ed at the U if their kids get in trouble or have accidents as a result of overserving themselves at official U of M events on U of M property?

I would guess that is a question that might concern some.

So, if all the lawyers out there promise to turn away requests for action against the U(ha...ha...ha...), I am sure that the crack U of M legal staff and our new Norwood and all of his assistants and even prexy K might be a little more relaxed on the whole alcohol for those under 21 issue. Because "out there...somewhere..." there are some parents of students that don't think their kids ought to be doing underaged drinking.

Don't try to blame it on just the "old" fans who frequent games and hold season tickets and make contributions to the U. I would guess there are potential legal and liability consequences that I am sure might scare the hell out of some administrators at the U... that's just the kind of society that we live in at this point in time...

So, these under-aged students who want to drink openly on campus at a football game had sure as heck better get their butts to that party early and stay just as long they are allowed to stay. I doubt if they realize that some people really are sticking the neck of the University of Minnesota on the block by allowing this to happen. Party on students! Especially you under-aged students. Take advantage of the situation while it is offered. If it all goes well and is a success...it should be GREAT times!

And get into the game and cheer your well-lubed heads off for my Gopher Football Team!

; 0 )

This is a good first step back from the oblivious gameday plan they rolled out in 09' when they wasted a brand new stadium with student breathalyzers and full pat downs at the gates.
I hope the students show up and do as they wish. I hope the U has already decided to be light in enforcement of tickets and such. This type of thing goes on at almost every major football school in the country, some more prestigious and pious than the U.
If they roll this out and give out minors to underage revelers the first game, the results will be dire. I wouldn't ever blame the students for showing up late to games if they pulled that type of crap. We'll see.
Now open up the private lots around campus to gameday tailgating, allow for a certain number of first come first serve tailgate lot passes in the major lots near the stadium and we're halfway there. I'll do my part.

Where is this lot going to be? I don't want to read the whole thread to find out.

Well I'm sure glad the U is looking out for the students. They should probably limit the alcohol % in beer too, possibly limit it to 3.2% beer only. We sure don't want the kids to consume too much alcohol. After all, what does being of legal age have to do with anything.

Way to miss the point.

I am not one of those people. Not even close. Just a pre-middle-aged guy who's tired of the under-25 crowd's sense of entitlement.

Such an easy, lazy take to make. Every generation like, ever, always thinks the ones younger than them are lazy, entitled, etc etc etc.

Such an easy, lazy take to make. Every generation like, ever, always thinks the ones younger than them are lazy, entitled, etc etc etc.

Only because its true. I guarantee my generation was lazier and felt more entitled than the one before. It needs to stop somewhere.

I hate to say this.......I really hate to say this........but Wren does have a point.

A publicly-funded University has to be very careful to not give the appearance that it sanctions underage drinking in conjunction with a University event.

I know some people say, "what's the harm - let the kids have some fun," but just because you don't like a particular law, that doesn't give you the right to ignore it. I have a huge lead foot, and I would love to ignore the speed limits and drive 75mph in a 55 zone, but if I get caught, there will be consequences.

Imagine the front page of the StarTribune the day after the game, with a big, splashy story about problems caused by underage drunken students. I predict the tailgate lots would be gone by the next home game.

All I'm saying is that the students need to be careful and not abuse their privileges - because privileges can be taken away.

Only because its true. I guarantee my generation was lazier and felt more entitled than the one before. It needs to stop somewhere.

Certain members of your generation may have been lazier and more entitled. And certain members may have been less lazy. It's almost as if sweeping generalizations make swallowing your confirmation bias that much easier!

I really think the greatest hero in the glorious history of the University of Minnesota will be the underage student that somehow, some way, figures out how to have a drink without a proper, state issued ID.

Working in education, I can say that liability issues are a pretty big thing.

I really think the greatest hero in the glorious history of the University of Minnesota will be the underage student that somehow, some way, figures out how to have a drink without a proper, state issued ID.

Only if he shows-up inside TCF watching the game.

Again....anybody know where this student lot will even be located???

Top Bottom