Former Gopher A.J. Barker arrested UPDATED 5/9: Sid says AJ wants back on team

I can't blame the staff for not wanting to put with AJ. He's a talented guy, but he might be in the Jewhan Edwards category of not worth the risk/hassel.

Nor can I. Barker's transgressions and talent were both certainly lesser than Royce White's, but we saw what can happen when you let that kind of cancer in the program because you think he's a good player. This kind of decision is why Kill will be here far longer than Tubby was.

An Emmy for station19 ...

For those of you that were saying A J was the victim, this is called burning bridges.

...for best quip on a blog so far in 2013. Priceless! For everything there is MasterCard.

in the quips it says Patterson wanted the U job but Kill had accepted. really?

Nor can I. Barker's transgressions and talent were both certainly lesser than Royce White's, but we saw what can happen when you let that kind of cancer in the program because you think he's a good player. This kind of decision is why Kill will be here far longer than Tubby was.

Tubby didn't want the Royce White circus. Can you imagine the moral outrage if he had rejected a local 5 star?

I'm with you, don't think he really had a choice. Back to Barker, do we know when he alledgedly wanted back on the team? Doesn't change anything but curious.

The thing that bugs me about this is I still see uninformed comments on the Strib talking about how the Barker situation is just like the North Carolina cancelled games as a sign that the program ising being run into the ground. If Barker was taken back on the team after what he did, the same people would be claiming the desparation is clear and the program is being run into the ground.

I just adore hyperbole. Barker burned his bridges and all that, but how was he a cancer on the team? Kid was a walk-on who stuck it out and arguably became the team's best receiver. He was disappointed about not being awarded a scholarship and acted inappropriately and made a string of ridiculous decisions that doomed his status on the team. He's not a victim, but nor is he a cancer.

The thing that bugs me about this is I still see uninformed comments on the Strib talking about how the Barker situation is just like the North Carolina cancelled games as a sign that the program ising being run into the ground. If Barker was taken back on the team after what he did, the same people would be claiming the desparation is clear and the program is being run into the ground.

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense. The comment section of the STrib is where intelligence goes to die.

I just adore hyperbole. Barker burned his bridges and all that, but how was he a cancer on the team? Kid was a walk-on who stuck it out and arguably became the team's best receiver. He was disappointed about not being awarded a scholarship and acted inappropriately and made a string of ridiculous decisions that doomed his status on the team. He's not a victim, but nor is he a cancer.

Just as bad as hyperbole is ludicrous understatement. He was not "disappointed," he was livid. He did not "act inappropriately," he acted like a total assh*le. He didn't make "a string of ridiculous decisions," he was wrong, then wrong, then wrong. The reason people do what he did was is that we accept such things as acceptable under circumstance. What he did was wrong.

Just as bad as hyperbole is ludicrous understatement. He was not "disappointed," he was livid. He did not "act inappropriately," he acted like a total assh*le. He didn't make "a string of ridiculous decisions," he was wrong, then wrong, then wrong. The reason people do what he did was is that we accept such things as acceptable under circumstance. What he did was wrong.

+1 and with that, please let this thread die.

I find the media's role in this entire thing pretty hilarious. They all fell over themselves to promote AJ's letter and almost glorify it based off their lustful hatred of the U. AJ finally felt important and like he had some real friends. Turns out, those same 'friends' are probably a huge reason why his career is OVER. If the media would have just ignored this brat and his adolescent tantrum, there would be a better chance that he could be granted another opportunity to wear his hometown colors again. Now, he might as well move...he'll forever be a joke in this town.

One other thought...

Does this make Barker's Mom's best friend wrong?

I gave her more credit than this. Well, maybe not.

+10000

AJ Barker's letter was one of the most selfish and asanine things that I've ever read. I would have had much more respect for the kid if he waited for the season to end before releasing a statement. He could easily have just said that he's done for the season because of injury and then released this letter after the regular season. But nope, a couple days before his teammates were set on to play MSU, they had to answer for him.

Obviously the content of his letter were the ramblings of someone who wasn't of clear thought. I am not talking about him writing it in text talk or whatever, I'm talking about the actual content of the letter (mom's friend, not icing, etc.). But even that, it could have been excusable and forgiveable had AJ showed even the slightest amount of respect for his teammates and the program. I disagree with the style and substance of everything that AJ said, but the style/manner of his letter was the end of the kid at the U.

The media saw a chance to bash the U and they ran with it. Some of the sports guys around town just made fun of AJ Barker, but for the casual sports fan around the Twin Cities last year for the Gophers will be remembered by the UNC cancellation and AJ Barker. Mind you, AJ Barker is now begging to come back to the team because there isn't another program that wants him and the same casual fans complaining about the UNC game couldn't list the BCS nonconference games we've played over the last few years (USC, Syracuse, Cal, etc.). I get it when an actual Gopher fan is upset about the UNC thing, but some of the casual fans outrage about this is hilarious. It'd be like us complaining about the Swarm firing their coach.

time and truth walk hand in hand. looks like JK will be allowed to coach as he sees fit without the kids walking out.

I'll say this tho- this is a perfect parenting opportunity to forgive and move on. the kind of lesson a kid recalls as the moment he/she grew up. some of you hardliners are either young or lived perfect lives.

time and truth walk hand in hand. looks like JK will be allowed to coach as he sees fit without the kids walking out.

I'll say this tho- this is a perfect parenting opportunity to forgive and move on. the kind of lesson a kid recalls as the moment he/she grew up. some of you hardliners are either young or lived perfect lives.

I do think AJ acted like a spoiled, selfish, caustic brat, but i agree with you. Talk to the team about it, maybe even vote on it...and if that passes then put the kid through a list of requirements and obligations more strict than he's ever dreamed of. And help him turn a corner? It sure would be a nice story for the U if it could work out somehow. It could be a pivotal lesson in the lives of not just one, but of 85(?) young men.

He quit the team. Threw Kiil under the bus. got caught doing something he shouldnt have. And then ask then team if they think he should come back? Never. Walk ons are like low round draft picks. you dont get to many chances and when you do, dont blow it. I like our recievers and I dont want him back. he created a lot of bad pr for the U and coach Kill. We are not desperate for recievers.

He quit the team. Threw Kiil under the bus. got caught doing something he shouldnt have. And then ask then team if they think he should come back? Never. Walk ons are like low round draft picks. you dont get to many chances and when you do, dont blow it. I like our recievers and I dont want him back. he created a lot of bad pr for the U and coach Kill. We are not desperate for recievers.

+19

This is a class A example of disrespect for authority/insubordination and putting yourself above the program. I would lose a lot of respect for coach Kill if he were to allow him back.

Allowing him back on the team would be TEACHING MOMENT of the wrong kind. If he would have just left the team, not written the manifesto and not gone on the talk shows.....well maybe then.

is the entirety of your argument that he was livid, acted like and asshole and was then wrong, wrong, wrong?

have you never been livid before? have you never been an asshole? have you never been wrong? cuz i have. seems to me that if the only reason that he is persona non grata is because of this, then kill is lowering himself to the same petty level.

It's not petty, this is how life works. Sometimes you get second chances, sometimes you don't. None of us would get a second chance in similar circumstances. It's the equivalent of telling your boss to 'take this job and shove it', tip over his desk and then ask to get your job back when things don't look as rosy afterwards. If the boss wants to give you your job back, that's his business, but it's not petty if he doesn't.

I do think AJ acted like a spoiled, selfish, caustic brat, but i agree with you. Talk to the team about it, maybe even vote on it...and if that passes then put the kid through a list of requirements and obligations more strict than he's ever dreamed of. And help him turn a corner? It sure would be a nice story for the U if it could work out somehow. It could be a pivotal lesson in the lives of not just one, but of 85(?) young men.

Letting the team vote can be a very slippery slope. Say the vote is 45-40 either way, a rift can be created that is extremely difficult to repair. Let the head coach decide. It's what he gets paid for.

Thank you, Pollyanna.

It's not petty, this is how life works. Sometimes you get second chances, sometimes you don't. None of us would get a second chance in similar circumstances. It's the equivalent of telling your boss to 'take this job and shove it', tip over his desk and then ask to get your job back when things don't look as rosy afterwards. If the boss wants to give you your job back, that's his business, but it's not petty if he doesn't.

It's not like that at all. I'm sick if people comparing this to their jobs. This is semi-pro athletics. A better analogue would be to compare this to the pros where something like this happens every Tuesday.

We're just pissed because we are under the false impression that there are such things as the noble student athlete being shepherded by the noble Knute Rockne.

It's not like that at all. I'm sick if people comparing this to their jobs. This is semi-pro athletics. A better analogue would be to compare this to the pros where something like this happens every Tuesday.

We're just pissed because we are under the false impression that there are such things as the noble student athlete being shepherded by the noble Knute Rockne.

I must not be paying attention enough on Tuesdays. Where are they posting on Tuesday all these 4,000 word manifestos and what radio/TV stations are having these guys ranting on their programs?

I guess you would buy into a kid who murdered his parents and then asked for mercy from the court because he was an orphan. (Yes, I realize this is not at the level of murder but AJ actions went way beyond the norm. Hopefully, AJ has moved on and has learned that in dealing with life's problems that it works better if you act like an adult.

have you never been livid before? have you never been an asshole? have you never been wrong? cuz i have. seems to me that if the only reason that he is persona non grata is because of this, then kill is lowering himself to the same petty level.

Have you ever been so livid that you created a 4000 word manifesto, released it to the public, and went to multiple radio and tv stations to give interviews about how sh!tty your boss is? And then did you expect the boss to write it off as you having a bad day and welcome you back?

If Kill lets this kid back on the team, he is making a huge mistake. One that could possibly lead to his downfall with the Gophers. That move would undermine everything he has worked for during his tenure with the Gophers.

Your pro sports analogy doesn't work either. There are issues that restrict teams from simply releasing a player. Salary, salary cap rules, NFLPA. Those don't exist in college sports.

is the entirety of your argument that he was livid, acted like and asshole and was then wrong, wrong, wrong?

There are consequences, good or bad, to everything we do.

If I did what Barker did, I would get fired.

Barker had his shot, and acted in a way that cost him a spot on the team. He followed that up by acting in a way that cost him a shot at returning to the team.

This is a team sport, and the team morale is more important than Barker. It isn't an individual player's idiocy that directly affects a team, it is how it affects how other players get along. If Player A acts in a way that cause Player B and Player C to not get along, Player A has to go. That's exactly what Harvin was doing to the Vikings. That's what Barker was doing to the Gophers. It's Coaching 101.

Kill might have been the only grown-up in this situation.

If Kill lets this kid back on the team, he is making a huge mistake. One that could possibly lead to his downfall with the Gophers. That move would undermine everything he has worked for during his tenure with the Gophers.

Your pro sports analogy doesn't work either. There are issues that restrict teams from simply releasing a player. Salary, salary cap rules, NFLPA. Those don't exist in college sports.

Why are we still talking about this? That bridge was burned. That ship has sailed. He quit, he transferred, it didn't work out. On a personal level all has been forgiven however forgiveness does not mean the school should put itself and the team at risk for another meltdown. I can't think of a single reason why the school should change course at this point. There are lots of football programs in the area, maybe Augsburg, Bethel, Hamline, Concordia etc would be willing to give a proven D1 receiver with baggage an opportunity...

Top Bottom