Doogie on Shaka Smart to Minnesota

I disagree with you...I will die by being shot by a jealous husband when I am 99 years old.

Come on Doc, do you really need to fool around with another man's blow up doll? I'd be happy to spot you the cash for your own.

I disagree with you...I will die by being shot by a jealous husband when I am 99 years old.

I'd say the odds of that are quite low. It definitely won't be a pick'em.....or pick her.

and tubby might discover the fountain of youth and coach the gophers for eternity. Shaka might not want the job, he might be happy at VCU, he might get another job down the road... nonsense

regarding the AAU corruptness- I have heard that before regarding Chicago and the Illinois job -- but how do we feel about that AAU corruptness angle now that Tubby has two Chicago kids coming in next year? Are we a program that can recruit there and not be corrupt but at Illinois you can't?

We didn't exactly get Chicago's finest. Both Ellis and Foster are solid recruits but they are 3* guys in a city that churns out a ton of 4* and 5* talent year after year. I have a feeling the corruptness deals more with these types of recruits then the two we nabbed. If you are at Illinois you are expected to keep most if not all of the best Chicago talent in-state. Thus, you have to deal with the corrupt AAU coaches etc.

The sad(?) thing is if Doogie ever gets something right he won't get credit for it. I mean, if I shot infinite 82 foot shots, one would eventually go in, but it isn't because I did anything particularly well.

Thing is, if Tubby does not leave after this year(which is probably 99% likely) Doogie will be correct on point 1 and we won't have any idea about point 2.

I think Doogie covered his butt pretty well on this comment.

It would suck to lose you next year, Don. :p

As for Shaka, I just don't see it happening. He's a pretty hot commodity right now, and I think he could go to a high end program right from VCU. Even if he somehow became coach at the U, I've got to believe it would just be a stepping stone. He's still at the beginning of his career and I have to believe he's shooting for a Kansas, Duke, UConn type of a job. I could be wrong though.

I don't know why Shaka Smart would be interested in the Gopher job if Tubby left or was forced out. If he respects Tubby as a coach he may feel there was not enough support or the facilities were not good enough here to win consistently or win big. As for changes to Tubby's staff, one of the reported reasons why Tubby left UK was they wanted him to make staff changes so we will see about that one.

One could argue that Monson was the Shaka Smart of his day after taking Gonzaga on that run, with that said, Smart will get his chance if he ever wants to leave VCU

Big differences between Shaka and Dan Monson: A)Shaka is racially diverse...There's a different kind of buzz for a Shaka Smart than Dan Monson simply because of their racial background...Tubby has had recruiting success for this reason as well. It's my belief that the majority of High School standouts are more excited to sign on with a coach who has the same color skin and racial background as opposed to a young, hot, white coach. The strenght of certain programs can make that a moot issue... B)Shaka is a little younger....I believe Shaka is just 35...Monson was already 39 or so when hired. C)Shaka has a Final Four run and deep run, fresh in the memory banks of potential recruits....Monson had a run to the elite 8. The Final 4 and enhanced media coverage with a nice documentary on VCU's run make Shaka more viable to young recruits than Monson ever was.

I would hope the U could do better then Shaka Zulu or whatever his name is if something happened with Tubby.

That reminds me of what I said to a Badger fan acquaintance 12 years ago, something like, "Who's this Schmoe Ryan clown they just hired to coach basketball? Is that all they could scrape up?"

I've heard some of the media(Reusse, Souhan, Doogie???) state Teague already knows whether Smart would be interested in the Gopher job if were to open......which makes perfect sense.

Sounds like the ESPN1500 echo chamber to me.

One could argue that Monson was the Shaka Smart of his day after taking Gonzaga on that run, with that said, Smart will get his chance if he ever wants to leave VCU

Monson should have never been hired for the Gopher position, at that time. I still maintain they would have been better off hiring a janitor (custodial engineer?) at $75K for the first few years after Ganglegate. Impossible situation, those first 3-5 years were essentially throw-away years. Hire a sacrificial lamb to ride out the sanctions for those first 3-4 years (maybe even all 5?) and then go after a promising coach to rebuild the program.

Monson got a nice gig, but in hind-sight kind of got the short end of the stick. He's built a nice program at LBSU, 22 wins 2 years ago and 25 wins and a tourney berth last year, and they're off to a 7-1 Big West conference start this year after a BRUTAL non-conference schedule. He's doing just fine.

Shaka has great chance to be a program changer, I'd love to have him. As for the Illinois job, that whole process was a mess and they got turned down by coaches much further down their list than Shaka (a lot of similarities to the Maturi/Mona football search).

I don't know why Shaka Smart would be interested in the Gopher job if Tubby left or was forced out. If he respects Tubby as a coach he may feel there was not enough support or the facilities were not good enough here to win consistently or win big. As for changes to Tubby's staff, one of the reported reasons why Tubby left UK was they wanted him to make staff changes so we will see about that one.

Teague got Shaka what he needed at VCU, no reason to think he wouldn't be able to get him what he needs here. We will have a practice facility sooner rather than later, Teague is much more capable than Joel.

Teague got Shaka what he needed at VCU, no reason to think he wouldn't be able to get him what he needs here.

What do you mean by that?

The one thing that stands out is that Tubby makes a boatload more than Shaka... could afford to bump up his VCU pay quite a bit (even though Smart has gotten a new deal 3 years in a row now).

What do you mean by that?

The one thing that stands out is that Tubby makes a boatload more than Shaka... could afford to bump up his VCU pay quite a bit (even though Smart has gotten a new deal 3 years in a row now).

I was replying to a poster that mentioned our lack of facilities as a reason not to come to Minnesota. Teague was instrumental in building first class facilities at VCU, he is going to do the same here. Hence I don't think that would be a major worry for Shaka.

I was replying to a poster that mentioned our lack of facilities as a reason not to come to Minnesota. Teague was instrumental in building first class facilities at VCU, he is going to do the same here. Hence I don't think that would be a major worry for Shaka.

Wait for it...

You just fell into GW's trap.

VCU's practice facility is a decrepit building the school would LOVE to replace, but they have not. I realize the U has said (and still claims) that Teague was responsible for a new practice facility that was built on his watch, but it doesn't exist.

It's a good story, but it's not true. Teague has already accomplished at Minnesota what he did at VCU with regard to a practice facility - he has talked about the school needing to build something. That's it.

It is going to be built this year. You don't think Teague played a roll in that?

It's a pointless discussion. Nobody is going to hire a 60 year old coach for $2.5M a year who has won less than half of his conference games. Tubby is all ours for at least a couple of more years.

I would hope the U could do better then Shaka Zulu or whatever his name is if something happened with Tubby.
Man, I've noticed some racist overtones in this board the past couple weeks.... Skaka Zulu??? C'mon man...

Big differences between Shaka and Dan Monson: A)Shaka is racially diverse...There's a different kind of buzz for a Shaka Smart than Dan Monson simply because of their racial background...Tubby has had recruiting success for this reason as well. It's my belief that the majority of High School standouts are more excited to sign on with a coach who has the same color skin and racial background as opposed to a young, hot, white coach. The strenght of certain programs can make that a moot issue... B)Shaka is a little younger....I believe Shaka is just 35...Monson was already 39 or so when hired. C)Shaka has a Final Four run and deep run, fresh in the memory banks of potential recruits....Monson had a run to the elite 8. The Final 4 and enhanced media coverage with a nice documentary on VCU's run make Shaka more viable to young recruits than Monson ever was.

What? This is a bit out there. Sad.

Top Bottom