Teague: We are going to dig deep this offseason to improve crowd situation

Maybe the athletic department has to consider this question: For the next two years, what would be easier to do: promise and promote wins or fun? People have to be willing to buy tickets even if we lose.

I'm glad you mentioned it. I was going to. As big of a fan as I am, I do not need wins to get me there. What I need is a belief that I will enjoy myself. On any given Saturday, there are usually other great games going on, involving matchups between BCS teams. I don't want to ignore that to sit on my hands and be told how to have fun.

Like another poster mentioned, convince people they can have fun without being bothered. Tell the fraternities and others with houses near the stadium that they can drink in the yard all they want, just don't bother traffic. Have you music up, who cares. Have it be wild in the stadium. I think Maturi spent too much time courting the older folks who are happy to show up for a 7am 'Sota Social pancake breakfast, watch the game quietly, and get home in time for their afternoon nap. I don't want to go to a game with those people!!!! I want fans like I see on TV. Loud, wild, etc.

Let people buy beer at the bars around the stadium and drink it on the sidewalk without having to have a red velvet rope and 10 bouncers watching them. Hell, for us older folks, open up McNamara Alumni Center and serve beer there before/after the game. Some of us might not feel comfortable with the 21+ crowd, but would be happy to be at MAC with some other alums.

In other words, give me a reason to think I might enjoy that 5-6 hours of my life.

Alcohol is already served to the general public at McNamara Alumni Center before games, although not afterwards, and has been since football returned to campus.

The game experience at TCF Bank Stadium, inside and out, seems more tailored to the Metrodome than an on campus stadium, as if Maturi and company had no idea what to do in the new stadium and as a result mainly stuck to what they knew. Teague and company ought to consider blowing up the entire template after this year and starting from scratch in 2013. That doesn't mean some elements can't be retained, but a top to bottom reconsideration of everything from music to video board segments to tailgating to student interaction ought to be in play. Athletic department officials have also been to enough stadiums as the visitors to see what works elsewhere and what might work if imported and what wouldn't. Regardless of what happens on the field, I agree the U of M needs make the overall game experience more fun for students and regular fans alike.

Minnesota tickets are CHEAP.

It's not the price, it's the atmosphere and the product.

I disagree with the atmosphere part. Fans have everything they really need for a true college football experience (minus the 10 win type seasons). Outdoor stadium on campus (newer stadium). Booze at the games. Tailgating options. Bars near by. The band. Cool uniforms. Giant scoreboard. Goldy.

What is missing atmosphere wise-a full house. The ingredients are all there. The product is another category altogether.

And we scheduled NDSU, SDSU, and USD because?

So Joel Maturi knew that in year 1, 2 and 3 of a brand new 50000 seat stadium, he needed to schedule those teams to help fill the place?

They were scheduled because they cost the minimum to bring in.

Florida paid 3 million dollars for its three home non conference games. Ohio State paid Akron and Colorado 2.3 million total last year to come to Columbus.

Utah State received 925,000 for this year's game at Wisonsin. UTEP received 900,000 for this year's game in Madison.

So Joel Maturi knew that in year 1, 2 and 3 of a brand new 50000 seat stadium, he needed to schedule those teams to help fill the place?

Florida paid 3 million dollars for its three home non conference games. Ohio State paid Akron and Colorado 2.3 million total last year to come to Columbus.

Utah State received 925,000 for this year's game at Wisonsin. UTEP received 900,000 for this year's game in Madison.

Maturi's bean counting is a big reason why the new stadium hasn't expanded the fanbase.
Not the only one, 3-9 seasons hurt, but Maturi's "vision" was so focused on balancing a damn budget he never saw the need to do anything more than open the doors to the bank and push papers around.

It should have been the start of a new era on campus, a major turnaround in attitude where the students and fans controlled the gameday and the fanbase grew because it was a unique and fun experience to come down on gamedays, visit campus, and cheer on a college that represents the state.

Instead, we squeezed out younger fans from the tailgate lots, strip searched/breathalyzed students on their way into the game, and allowed the city of Minneapolis to control gameday festivities. All that mattered was balancing the books.
In the end, the damage this fumble has caused the gameday atmosphere will not be fixed for a decade maybe, maybe more. {MATURI RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!}

I agree with Ole and 'be like Wisconsin'. It starts and ends with the students. I can tell you without question that the things that put unexpected smiles on my face during the game are watching the student section. Examples: Ski-u-Mah banner, Gangham style, the noise when the gophers are defending their end zone, watching team singing with Floyd down there.

The point is, the ratio of smiles generated by glancing over to the student section vs smiles generated by ads, promotions, stuff the PA says, etc. is 10:1. Students and marching band are what set CF apart. Even though it is vulgar, In Madison when they start chanting FU-ES you just kind of look over there and wish you were a kid again. Same for Gopher Hockey with pa responses like "we always were! (at full strength)".

Imagine a stadium with 40,000 general public attendees but no students. Now imagine a stadium with 10,000 students and 30,000 general public seats. Which one do you want to buy a ticket to?

There is not one single magic answer to improving attendance. Going 7-5 or 8-4 with a cupcake NC schedule isn't the answer. It's certainly better than 4-8 but I guarantee you won't see anything close to a waiting list for tickets (student or otherwise) just by improving by a win or 2.

1. The fewer 11 AM games there are, the better. Night games are the best for attendance. Night games have an aura that 11 AM games can never replicate.

2. Improve tailgating. If the lots hugging the stadium resemble a morgue pre-game, students and the general public will treat it as such. It should be an event. Tailgating should be encouraged and parking spots close to the stadium should be priced to the point where the demand goes way up. There should be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG waiting list to get one of those spots. It should be mandated that each spot tailgate of their pass gets revoked next year. When people walk to the stadium, drive past the stadium, look at the stadium, it should look like a party. Solution: awesome tailgating as close to the stadium as possible. Make it so when people thing about Gopher football, they think of tailgating (and vice versa).

3. Treat students like adults. I've heard stories about a Big Brother presence in the stadium that makes them feel uneasy. The whole freshman orientation bouncy house event during the opener against UNLV is a symptom to an overall problem. They should have access to a party atmosphere as well. This last part is tricky because a college can't encourage underage drinking but what it can do is not make preventing it the absolute #1 gameday priority (wink wink).

4. If half the home games are against the Sisters of the Poor (which is Kill's stated goal), that's not a good way to drum up buzz and entice new season ticket holders, especially when those games are obviously front-loaded on the schedule.

5. Sell hope. Example of the opposite: Dropping a medicore UNC team because you're afraid of playing them in an home-and-home 3-4 years into the head coach's regime. Why the F would a prospective season ticket holder purchase tickets this offseason when the coach is saying we're not good enough to play with a medicore UNC team?

Keyword is BUZZ. 7-5 won't get people to show up the way you want. 7-5 with buzz will. Guaranteed.

We're in a strange pattern in that every other year our rivals will fill our stadium so attendance numbers will look skewed. The goal should be to improve the number of Gopher fans each game because that's how you withstand the years when NW, Purdue, MSU, and Michigan are the home BT games.

Maturi's bean counting is a big reason why the new stadium hasn't expanded the fanbase.
Not the only one, 3-9 seasons hurt, but Maturi's "vision" was so focused on balancing a damn budget he never saw the need to do anything more than open the doors to the bank and push papers around.

It should have been the start of a new era on campus, a major turnaround in attitude where the students and fans controlled the gameday and the fanbase grew because it was a unique and fun experience to come down on gamedays, visit campus, and cheer on a college that represents the state.

Instead, we squeezed out younger fans from the tailgate lots, strip searched/breathalyzed students on their way into the game, and allowed the city of Minneapolis to control gameday festivities. All that mattered was balancing the books.
In the end, the damage this fumble has caused the gameday atmosphere will not be fixed for a decade maybe, maybe more. {MATURI RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!}

i don't care what anyone says. ole's takes are usually spot on. once again he manages to put it perfectly and hit the nail on the head. really just stop and think about each thing he wrote here. it is all so unfortunately true. these were things that maturi missed and that his administration, including president bruininks, just refused to do the heavy lifting on and fight for prior to grand opening. they just wanted to open the doors, put everything on cruise control, and get busy planning their golden parachute retirement packages.

it is all very true and all very emblematic of one of the main reasons why interest has ebbed and flowed since the new stadium opened. of course not the only reason, with 2010 & 2011 being down seasons the other. there was not ENOUGH vision and innovative thought put into what moving back to campus after 30 years REALLY MEANT and what would need to be done to interest students & general fans week in and out aside from just opening the doors to the place. i.e. what could really make it truly and all day (before AND after) event for fans with and without tickets.

There is not one single magic answer to improving attendance. Going 7-5 or 8-4 with a cupcake NC schedule isn't the answer. It's certainly better than 4-8 but I guarantee you won't see anything close to a waiting list for tickets (student or otherwise) just by improving by a win or 2.

1. The fewer 11 AM games there are, the better. Night games are the best for attendance. Night games have an aura that 11 AM games can never replicate.

I agree, problem is we are very much at the mercy of TV for this. Part of that is being a better program that warrants the marquee 2:30 time, part of that is the U pushing for night games as our "thing" because it clearly helps attendance and atmosphere (not that any other school is different, though).

2. Improve tailgating. If the lots hugging the stadium resemble a morgue pre-game, students and the general public will treat it as such. It should be an event. Tailgating should be encouraged and parking spots close to the stadium should be priced to the point where the demand goes way up. There should be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG waiting list to get one of those spots. It should be mandated that each spot tailgate of their pass gets revoked next year. When people walk to the stadium, drive past the stadium, look at the stadium, it should look like a party. Solution: awesome tailgating as close to the stadium as possible. Make it so when people thing about Gopher football, they think of tailgating (and vice versa).

I completely agree. People say that the U had to do this to make adequate money. And maybe they're right - they clearly sold most if not all of those passes, people just aren't showing up. I think this is the example where you sell you soul to sell tickets to corporations who can afford it but their employees either aren't actual UMN fans, aren't tailgaters, or won't even show up. Implement some sort of way to track attendance to these lots and what time they show up. If the people show up every game but come 5 minutes prior to gametime, the U should "offer" a different lot/garage that doesn't allow tailgating and bring in a new crowd. Lower the donation requirement as well.

3. Treat students like adults. I've heard stories about a Big Brother presence in the stadium that makes them feel uneasy. The whole freshman orientation bouncy house event during the opener against UNLV is a symptom to an overall problem. They should have access to a party atmosphere as well. This last part is tricky because a college can't encourage underage drinking but what it can do is not make preventing it the absolute #1 gameday priority (wink wink).

While I agree there needs to be a better student atmosphere, we absolutely cannot expect the U, the police, the city, or even citizens (who aren't avid Gopher fans) to rally behind the idea of allowing underage kids to drink. We all might think the ol' turn your head policy is good for atmosphere, but the U cannot go that route. They need to be 100% providers of good clean fun on the SuperBlock, open up a tailgate lot for 21+ students and recent alums (between the 2 groups there are PLENTY of people to make this a large contingency), and control how many UMPD they request without it being obvious. Flip side is... students are not always adults. I know that there are plenty of drunk adult jerks at games, but I would bet students are more likely to be the ones peeing on buildings and going a tad overboard. Wisconsin also implemented the breathalyzer policy at CR.

4. If half the home games are against the Sisters of the Poor (which is Kill's stated goal), that's not a good way to drum up buzz and entice new season ticket holders, especially when those games are obviously front-loaded on the schedule.

5. Sell hope. Example of the opposite: Dropping a medicore UNC team because you're afraid of playing them in an home-and-home 3-4 years into the head coach's regime. Why the F would a prospective season ticket holder purchase tickets this offseason when the coach is saying we're not good enough to play with a medicore UNC team?

No arguments from me on this one. Can't figure out why the coach is worried about losing one NC game that would cost us a bowl game. That means he expects to be no better than 2-6 in the BT on a given year. The other problem.. with no big games in the first month of the season, we squander perfect September weather for fans to come and enjoy the game with no excuses on terrible opponents (quality of play and lack of rivalry/excitement). Maybe the BT will change scheduling policies like the SEC and Pac12 do with conference games early to bring up the excitement level. But until that happens, our best weather for a true all-day gameday party is wasted on bori

We're in a strange pattern in that every other year our rivals will fill our stadium so attendance numbers will look skewed. The goal should be to improve the number of Gopher fans each game because that's how you withstand the years when NW, Purdue, MSU, and Michigan are the home BT games.

Our attendance numbers will look mostly the same no matter what because they report tickets sold as attendance. The difference in this year vs next for "attendance" will be at most 8k for some games. The difference between real attendance will be more like 15-20k for Purdue vs Nebraska.

I disagree with the atmosphere part. Fans have everything they really need for a true college football experience (minus the 10 win type seasons). Outdoor stadium on campus (newer stadium). Booze at the games. Tailgating options. Bars near by. The band. Cool uniforms. Giant scoreboard. Goldy.

What is missing atmosphere wise-a full house. The ingredients are all there. The product is another category altogether.

The part of the atmosphere that bothers me is being told to sit down for just standing up on a good/big play. It isn't just at TCF though, 2008 Insight Bowl I was yelled at by the people behind me to sit down for standing up cheering for a TD and the Rouser.

i don't care what anyone says. ole's takes are usually spot on. once again he manages to put it perfectly and hit the nail on the head. really just stop and think about each thing he wrote here. it is all so unfortunately true. these were things that maturi missed and that his administration, including president bruininks, just refused to do the heavy lifting on and fight for prior to grand opening. they just wanted to open the doors, put everything on cruise control, and get busy planning their golden parachute retirement packages.

it is all very true and all very emblematic of one of the main reasons why interest has ebbed and flowed since the new stadium opened. of course not the only reason, with 2010 & 2011 being down seasons the other. there was not ENOUGH vision and innovative thought put into what moving back to campus after 30 years REALLY MEANT and what would need to be done to interest students & general fans week in and out aside from just opening the doors to the place. i.e. what could really make it truly and all day (before AND after) event for fans with and without tickets.

It's something i think about alot when i'm on here discussing or at the lot on a beautiful sat morn.
The thing of it all is: It doesn't HAVE to be this way.

The serious lack of young energy is evident in the lots and on campus, Lot 37 where I'm at has several awesome groups and enough solid tailgating to make you hopeful, but Lot 33 next door is EMPTY for the first 2 hours(a few cars are there, not a dig at those strong souls)and the lots closest to the stadium are maybe full(5 minutes before kickoff), definitely sold, but certainly not a boon to the atmosphere.

Maturi is the scapegoat I will forever blame for the travesty that is our gameday atmosphere, but i'm absolutely certain the real decisions have come from higher up.

Why the H can't the U figure out that without wild and crazy students, a festival atmosphere, and a rich bar/tailgate/open space selection for ALL fans(not just richy riches) there will continue to be an attendence issue. Especially for students who are likely drinking in a garage a few blocks away and for younger ticketholders who would be willing to drop a 20 on parking with tailgating but can't swing 2000.
Winning is almost none of it at this point.
If by chance we beat Nebraska, which would be a historic win, does anyone think MSU will be a sell out?
Get the damn energy back on campus and make it a raucous party EVERY weekend, and people will come to be at the game if for no other reason than it's a blast before and after.

This is very close to what I said earlier. I love to tailgate and I find myself buying tailgate lot passes on Craigs list a few times every season. It is far cheaper than forking over the massive amounts of $$ to get a dedicated spot. I am now in line for a spot on a non-U-controlled lot a few blocks away, but still in view of the stadium. I know that I am somewhat unique in the effort I am willing to put in to tailgate. For most people, it is just too much money or too much effort to tailgate for Gopher games. A big lot where one can be assured of showing up to pay $20 for a tailgate spot would do WONDERS.

And, after a few years at the bank now, I can say that I have tailgated in most of the lots, and I am familiar with ALL the lots. When I refer to tailgating, I'm referring to the lots that you can see the stadium, and are close by. I have done the shuttle bus thing and it isn't my cup of tea. To me, tailgating is just best when you can wrap things up and walk to the stadium. Anyway, with having my experience spread around all the lots, I can vouch for lot 37 - it is by far the closest thing to the way the U tailgating experience SHOULD be. Another thing that would do wonders, is allowing all the private lots, one-off spots, and small lots to have tailgating... as in Wisconsin style.

The irony is I think it was actually easier for students to tailgate when the team played in the dome than it is now at the Bank, on campus! That is saying a lot considering the dome is not a noted tailgate hotspot.

And we scheduled NDSU, SDSU, and USD because?

Because you can count one win from a D1-FCS school toward Bowl eligibility. Every major (and most minor) D1-FBS schools schedule one for that reason. The fact they couldn't beat them is a different issue completely.

This is very close to what I said earlier. I love to tailgate and I find myself buying tailgate lot passes on Craigs list a few times every season. It is far cheaper than forking over the massive amounts of $$ to get a dedicated spot. I am now in line for a spot on a non-U-controlled lot a few blocks away, but still in view of the stadium. I know that I am somewhat unique in the effort I am willing to put in to tailgate. For most people, it is just too much money or too much effort to tailgate for Gopher games. A big lot where one can be assured of showing up to pay $20 for a tailgate spot would do WONDERS.

And, after a few years at the bank now, I can say that I have tailgated in most of the lots, and I am familiar with ALL the lots. When I refer to tailgating, I'm referring to the lots that you can see the stadium, and are close by. I have done the shuttle bus thing and it isn't my cup of tea. To me, tailgating is just best when you can wrap things up and walk to the stadium. Anyway, with having my experience spread around all the lots, I can vouch for lot 37 - it is by far the closest thing to the way the U tailgating experience SHOULD be. Another thing that would do wonders, is allowing all the private lots, one-off spots, and small lots to have tailgating... as in Wisconsin style.

The irony is I think it was actually easier for students to tailgate when the team played in the dome than it is now at the Bank, on campus! That is saying a lot considering the dome is not a noted tailgate hotspot.

Exactly.

My 10 point plan to improving gameday and expanding the fanbase

1)Pregame week the outreach on campus Kill and Teague have done was great this year, keep it up.
Why can't festivities start Friday night? Have the band down at the bars marching at a preknown hour every Friday, they do this in Boulder, it's actually pretty cool.
Maybe have a marroon and gold block M spotlight at the stadium light up Friday before home games. Worked for Batman right?:)

2)Tailgating
Make lot 37 a first come first serve lot. Open it at 5AM, and encourage people to show up early by hosting "first" 100 events. Have the marching band start at Lot 37 on their way to the victory march to gather fans and improve that event.

Understandably the premium lots near the stadium are reserved for big donors, that's probably a significant chunk of change.
However, I'd make specific 4-8 spot sections in strategic places among the lots lottery for "big time tailgaters" Make islands of energy among the masses of big donors in the lots near the stadium.

Push hard, VERY hard to get the ban on private tailgating lots and parking removed by the city. Allow the neighbors and businesses around the stadium to benefit financially from the gamedays AND improve the energy around the stadium. Think MN state fair parking as a model. Use the vikings "rental' as balckmail over the city's head if they won't budge.

As the gameday and attendence improves increase prices and reap sown rewards.

3)Students
The freshman givaway was great, do this for the opener and for homecoming every year.
Use a "hands off' aproach to gamedays on campus, open up open spaces around the stadium to allow for student gatherings. Include frat row as an important part of the gameday tradition. Have the frats/students organize and march down sidewalks towards the stadium all at once carrying flags/signs/ wearing costumes and other college sillyness at a predetermined and preorganized time, leading the student section in all at once. Have the personnel ready for the swath of kids and get them into the game quickly, safely, and without harrasment or strip searches. Make it known that drunkeness and dangerous behavior isn't ok, but craziness, noise, and energy is.
Have random 3rd quarter givaways organized by the band and the cheerleaders specifically for the students.

4)Young fans
Up to 3 years out, have reduced ticket prices available and seat them in the upper deck sections surrounding the students.

5)Gametime
Overall the leadups to games have been solid IMO. Guests that have lead onto the field are always a great thing, i'd like to see a MN HS kids in full HS pads/uni once in awhile. Say what you want, but the Wild have an unbelievable opening, with the kid planting their flag at mid ice.
State pride is an undersold element of the gophers athletic dept which is crazy because college sports have much more of a connnection to the communities than the pro franchises.

6)Halftime
No reason to change the marching band, they are great. I'd love to see more of an interaction between the band and the student section, almost like a yell leader element to the band. Have them rally the kids at the half, make it start there and spread through the stadium.

7)3rd quarter transition. We need a stable and organized tradition here, let the students come up with it, use social media before the season and have student leaders, the band, the cheerleaders/goldy come up with something.

8)Have the team winning again, this is Kill's job. He's set himself up for a solid run now with the schedule he's got in front of him.

9)Work really hard to reach out to young fans and to retain outgoing students as season ticketholders. Our fanbase is shrinking, anyone who says otherwise is lying.
The old guard of the 60's is getting older and new blood needs to be infused into the equation.

10)This is one I feel strongly about. Norwood Teague needs to up the anty on the rivalries we have around the B1G. When we beat Iowa, talk a little smack, when we face wisky, stand tall and don't simply gladhand the media about them, when we end up beating wisky in 2013, publicly declare our state's victory over the damn sconnie trash, yell it from the high heavens and get the citizens behind the athletics program.
Nothing, and I mean nothing gets a Minnesotan sports fan riled like a competition with wisky.

Great ideas Ole! I agree with everything you are saying! :clap: :clap: :clap: :rockon:

Because you can count one win from a D1-FCS school toward Bowl eligibility. Every major (and most minor) D1-FBS schools schedule one for that reason. The fact they couldn't beat them is a different issue completely.

and that's why we played New Hampshire this year and DIDN'T have 10K-15K fans of the opposing team in the stadium (and they didn't bring their band, so it wasn't necessary to let their band play at halftime).

I'm sure they were cheap (anybody want to do the research on what we paid these schools vs what we paid New Hampshire this year?), but you don't think geographic appeal also figured into those games? Given our experience with NDSU in the Dome, you don't think Maturi realized scheduling those games meant 10k-15K fewer Gopher fans in the building (either due to lack of interest and just not showing up, or selling their tickets to visiting team fans)? If you're right, then Maturi is even dumber more naive than I thought he was.

But I agree with you in one respect - Maturi's highest priority (and nothing else was even close) was how can we save as much money as possible vs. doing what was necessary to build and promote the program (looking back, given the buyouts on the garbage contracts he negotiated with coaches he fired, this shouldn't have surprised any of us).

As others have said - cheap, cheap, cheap.

Exactly.

My 10 point plan to improving gameday and expanding the fanbase

1)Pregame week the outreach on campus Kill and Teague have done was great this year, keep it up.
Why can't festivities start Friday night? Have the band down at the bars marching at a preknown hour every Friday, they do this in Boulder, it's actually pretty cool.
Maybe have a marroon and gold block M spotlight at the stadium light up Friday before home games. Worked for Batman right?:)

2)Tailgating
Make lot 37 a first come first serve lot. Open it at 5AM, and encourage people to show up early by hosting "first" 100 events. Have the marching band start at Lot 37 on their way to the victory march to gather fans and improve that event.

Understandably the premium lots near the stadium are reserved for big donors, that's probably a significant chunk of change.
However, I'd make specific 4-8 spot sections in strategic places among the lots lottery for "big time tailgaters" Make islands of energy among the masses of big donors in the lots near the stadium.

Push hard, VERY hard to get the ban on private tailgating lots and parking removed by the city. Allow the neighbors and businesses around the stadium to benefit financially from the gamedays AND improve the energy around the stadium. Think MN state fair parking as a model. Use the vikings "rental' as balckmail over the city's head if they won't budge.

As the gameday and attendence improves increase prices and reap sown rewards.

3)Students
The freshman givaway was great, do this for the opener and for homecoming every year.
Use a "hands off' aproach to gamedays on campus, open up open spaces around the stadium to allow for student gatherings. Include frat row as an important part of the gameday tradition. Have the frats/students organize and march down sidewalks towards the stadium all at once carrying flags/signs/ wearing costumes and other college sillyness at a predetermined and preorganized time, leading the student section in all at once. Have the personnel ready for the swath of kids and get them into the game quickly, safely, and without harrasment or strip searches. Make it known that drunkeness and dangerous behavior isn't ok, but craziness, noise, and energy is.
Have random 3rd quarter givaways organized by the band and the cheerleaders specifically for the students.

4)Young fans
Up to 3 years out, have reduced ticket prices available and seat them in the upper deck sections surrounding the students.

5)Gametime
Overall the leadups to games have been solid IMO. Guests that have lead onto the field are always a great thing, i'd like to see a MN HS kids in full HS pads/uni once in awhile. Say what you want, but the Wild have an unbelievable opening, with the kid planting their flag at mid ice.
State pride is an undersold element of the gophers athletic dept which is crazy because college sports have much more of a connnection to the communities than the pro franchises.

6)Halftime
No reason to change the marching band, they are great. I'd love to see more of an interaction between the band and the student section, almost like a yell leader element to the band. Have them rally the kids at the half, make it start there and spread through the stadium.

7)3rd quarter transition. We need a stable and organized tradition here, let the students come up with it, use social media before the season and have student leaders, the band, the cheerleaders/goldy come up with something.

8)Have the team winning again, this is Kill's job. He's set himself up for a solid run now with the schedule he's got in front of him.

9)Work really hard to reach out to young fans and to retain outgoing students as season ticketholders. Our fanbase is shrinking, anyone who says otherwise is lying.
The old guard of the 60's is getting older and new blood needs to be infused into the equation.

10)This is one I feel strongly about. Norwood Teague needs to up the anty on the rivalries we have around the B1G. When we beat Iowa, talk a little smack, when we face wisky, stand tall and don't simply gladhand the media about them, when we end up beating wisky in 2013, publicly declare our state's victory over the damn sconnie trash, yell it from the high heavens and get the citizens behind the athletics program.
Nothing, and I mean nothing gets a Minnesotan sports fan riled like a competition with wisky.

It is, and our group members are typically anywhere from 2nd to fifth in line to get in :)

Edit - just realized - you probably mean to make it free. I doubt they'll ever do that. I really doubt they'll walk away from the revenue they're already getting from lot 37 and the other lots (if folks in the other lots know they can get into lot 37, they'll probably not buy a tailgate spot and just take their chances with lot 37). Although, maybe Maturi policy has warped my mind...

You guys have all brought up great points. I have been persuaded through this thread that it's more than just winning. I believe it's getting the young people hooked. Young doesn't just mean current students either. Find ways to bring teams of junior high school football kids into the stadium for a discount. Let Minnesota high school marching bands play before or after the game. They used to do the later and my older brothers still talk about what a great experience that was (playing at Memorial stadium). Find ways to strengthen the bond with the young kids and you might have fans for life.

I'm sure they were cheap (anybody want to do the research on what we paid these schools vs what we paid New Hampshire this year?), but you don't think geographic appeal also figured into those games? Given our experience with NDSU in the Dome, you don't think Maturi realized scheduling those games meant 10k-15K fewer Gopher fans in the building (either due to lack of interest and just not showing up, or selling their tickets to visiting team fans)? If you're right, then Maturi is even dumber more naive than I thought he was.

But I agree with you in one respect - Maturi's highest priority (and nothing else was even close) was how can we save as much money as possible vs. doing what was necessary to build and promote the program (looking back, given the buyouts on the garbage contracts he negotiated with coaches he fired, this shouldn't have surprised any of us).

As others have said - cheap, cheap, cheap.

First of all thatta guy for being there early. If 37 is first come first serve i've never seen that. Good start then, advertise it as such. What's the price and how many spots are available?

2ndly, i absolutely believe Maturi realized scheduling NDSU would result in a sellout of a NC game and didn't care one bit whether it meant less gopher fans at the game.
1 butt in a seat = 1 butt in a seat to him.

I really believe NDSU owes Maturi a huge debt for scheduling them 3 gems of recruiting tools, they have built their program on MN walk on candidates and likely wouldn't be where they are in D2 football right now without those 3 games against the U. It's a HUGE motivator for alot of their key contributors to be able to come back home in front of their family on a national stage and play the team that "didn't recruit me"

First of all thatta guy for being there early. If 37 is first come first serve i've never seen that. Good start then, advertise it as such. What's the price and how many spots are available?

2ndly, i absolutely believe Maturi realized scheduling NDSU would result in a sellout of a NC game and didn't care one bit whether it meant less gopher fans at the game.
1 butt in a seat = 1 butt in a seat to him.

I really believe NDSU owes Maturi a huge debt for scheduling them 3 gems of recruiting tools, they have built their program on MN walk on candidates and likely wouldn't be where they are in D2 football right now without those 3 games against the U. It's a HUGE motivator for alot of their key contributors to be able to come back home in front of their family on a national stage and play the team that "didn't recruit me"

Again, if you were insinuating it should be free (no donation), that it is not - $1000 donation, plus the cost of the spot, which I can't remember the cost (we have four ramp spaces, but purchase one 37 space; add it all up and divy amongst the seven of us). Once through the gates, go to whatever spot you want.

Again, if you were insinuating it should be free (no donation), that it is not - $1000 donation, plus the cost of the spot, which I can't remember the cost (we have four ramp spaces, but purchase one 37 space; add it all up and divy amongst the seven of us). Once through the gates, go to whatever spot you want.

Not free, but single game sales. Maybe $20 per game. That's what I was suggesting.
I get that it would be less money taken in by the U, it's just my opinion that it outprices alot of casual fans or younger fans. FYI My family has a spot for the donation price too, and i'm usually one of the first 10-20 there too.

I don't think Ole is saying the spot should be free, I think he is saying that admission should be sold on a game-by-game basis to the first cars to pull up and pay for it. This way, any one who wants to come early can get a good spot and the party will start close to the stadium and build its way out. I'm a recent alum, can't afford the $1000 donation, and pay $10 to tailgate down by the river behind the student union. I am always there at least 3 hours early, I am never even close to the first person there, and I think that the atmosphere that crew brings could help build up the stadium atmosphere if we could park near the stadium, even at $20-30 a spot.

That's the same system as every other lot. You are still guaranteed a spot to park regardless of when you show up, so for many people, they simply show up right before game time and the entire tailgating scene is dead. What we need is first come first serve lots or at least a couple of them. $20/car. This lot caters to the dedicated fans as you must arrive early to get a parking spot. This is just like every other lot I've tailgated in at several other Big Ten locations.

Gotcha. My brother-in-law went to Michigan for grad school and I think he said it was $100 a car(?) there.

Again, I'm probably Maturi mind-warped, but I don't know if they'll walk away from existing revenue. Lot 37 gets pretty full and going from about $1200 a space per year (with the donation) to even $350 a year ($50 a game) would be a big step back.

That's the same system as every other lot. You are still guaranteed a spot to park regardless of when you show up, so for many people, they simply show up right before game time and the entire tailgating scene is dead. What we need is first come first serve lots or at least a couple of them. $20/car. This lot caters to the dedicated fans as you must arrive early to get a parking spot. This is just like every other lot I've tailgated in at several other Big Ten locations.

The concept is very similar to when Mariucci switched the student seats from assigned to first come first serve. There would be seniors who would get the good seats, not show up until partway into the game because they would be at the bar, and then we would have to start the game with good seats empty. When it became first come, first serve, the most dedicated and loudest fans filled into the lower seats and we had an intimidating atmosphere heckling the other team during warmups. The analogy is that if the lot opens at 5 AM, then the people closest to the stadium will be the people excited enough about the game to get there at 5 AM, and there is a grilling tailgating party going on for 6 hours before the game that will grow outward as people show up. That is a much better atmosphere than some scattered fans of dedicated people who show up early (such as UnitedWeStand) amongst a lot of people who just use the spot as a convenient and close parking spot at 15 minutes til kickoff.

As for the revenue thing, we will lose revenue on the spots themselves in the short run, and if sacrificing the atmosphere for that revenue is what we want, then we can't complain about the atmosphere we get. I think in the long run, having the better gameday environment would result in more overall revenue from increased attendance and concession sales.

It is, and our group members are typically anywhere from 2nd to fifth in line to get in :)

Edit - just realized - you probably mean to make it free. I doubt they'll ever do that. I really doubt they'll walk away from the revenue they're already getting from lot 37 and the other lots (if folks in the other lots know they can get into lot 37, they'll probably not buy a tailgate spot and just take their chances with lot 37). Although, maybe Maturi policy has warped my mind...
Hold on. Maybe I'm missing something, but are you saying anyone can park in Lot 37 if they get there soon enough? What does that cost per game?

Hold on. Maybe I'm missing something, but are you saying anyone can park in Lot 37 if they get there soon enough? What does that cost per game?

No no... I managed to confuse everybody. I misunderstood Ole's point. I was referring to the spots themselves as being first come, first serve. To get in the lot, you have to make the $1000 donation, plus buy the spot; once in, then you can park wherever (same as most of hte other tailgate lots).

Sorry!

NDSU is not D2.

Top Bottom