$10 Tickets for Syracuse

I look at my ticket costs solely as a donation to my school's athletic department, and pretend that the tickets themselves are just an added bonus. It makes it a lot easier to deal with knowing that others are there for much cheaper.

Corporations use this type of marketing to promote getting new customers all the time while those of us who have been with them a long time get nothing. It's called marketing.

Let's see:
Season ticket holder and the U agree on a specific price for a specific number of games in a specific location............and as time goes by nothing changes. All conditions in the agreement are kept.

Later, the U decides to reduce prices for remaining tickets to 1) attempt to fill the stadium, 2) raise a few more dollars for the team/school 'we all' support.

Next, some season ticket holders get upset because ' Johnny got a sucker and I didn't'.

In a group of 12 season ticket holders which I am....that is 360 dollars difference.

Back in the dome in the early Mason years we would buy tickets to games individually because they were available and cheaper. If it seems like they are going to be available next year for single game purchases our group has already talked about dropping season tickets for a while until they become less available for single game purchases.
Between this and the 25 dollar meal deal (I will only include the price of the ticket, not the meal) we have spent an extra 720 dollars this season compared to if we had not purchased season tickets.

This isn't anything new. They used to sell upper endzone tickets in the dome for $15 plus a hot dog and coke for years. This is basically the same thing. I'm glad they recognize and are marketing the 3-0 start and see the importance of getting that place rocking so we can be 4-0 heading into Iowa. This could be a special year so let's get the ball rolling now.

For years we didnt have season tickets because we would do all of the deals. When tickets are available, there is a definite incentive to drop season tickets and still go to all the games for cheaper.

Thank god for that!:clap:

The amazing thing is, Killjoy, I agree with you 100%.

The again, I don't think I am handsome, but what is my opinion versus the rest of the world?

The U needs to contract with Ticket Express out of Omaha. They have a great setup where you can buy and sell your tickets online. A lot of empty seats are the result of people staying at home who would probably give their tix away but too much work. Ticket Express makes it easy for both buyer and seller. Long story short, the seller posts with Ticket Express and buyers bid/offer online and if the seller agrees, the buyer simply goes to the stadium and locates a Ticket Express employee at designated locations and gets their tix. Ticket Express collects a modest fee for being the middleman. I've used this service at the College World Series and it is nice. Much better than going through StubHub, Craigslist, etc.

I've mentioned this to the U tix staff but not sure if they have ever looked into it? I think a lot of currently unused seats would get used if the U contracted with Ticket Express.

Go Gophers!

I don't understand how people are saying this is cheaper. Can you not get season tickets for $250? That breaks down to about $30 a game. Yes, you could see New Hampshire-Syracuse for $10, but there's no way you could see Wisconsin-Iowa-Nebraska-Michigan for anything less than $40, and probably much more than that. Doesn't it break even at worst? That's not to mention you get much better seats and other perks that go along with being season ticket holders.

I'd love to get season tickets, but my wife hates football, and her feelings about the U aren't much better. We go to about 2-3 games a year only because I don't think it's fair to ask her to commit 8-9 Saturdays to something she doesn't like doing, and I don't have any kids or friends who like the Gophers to commit to something like that.

We bought two tickets in section 233. Hardly seats that would be filled by a season ticket holder, and likely tickets that wouldn't otherwise be filled at all. I don't see what the big deal is.

In a group of 12 season ticket holders which I am....that is 360 dollars difference.

Back in the dome in the early Mason years we would buy tickets to games individually because they were available and cheaper. If it seems like they are going to be available next year for single game purchases our group has already talked about dropping season tickets for a while until they become less available for single game purchases.
Between this and the 25 dollar meal deal (I will only include the price of the ticket, not the meal) we have spent an extra 720 dollars this season compared to if we had not purchased season tickets.

You could guarantee that for $720 less, you could get 12 tickets, all together, in the seats you're in (betting they're better than ANY available for $10), with the perks like upgrade capability if any other STHs drop, first crack at away tickets and bowl game tickets, etc? Not to mention the fact that you're supporting the team you like by paying what YOU thought was a reasonable sum of money for a good or service at the time you bought them?

The U should definitely be more responsive to STH prices - aka, the team was 3-9 2 years in a row and this year's home slate is arguably worse than last year's. They should incorporate market pricing schemes to better evaluate what their product is worth, but instead they continue to charge a flat fee (something we'd all be glad about if we win the B10 and prices remain the same, BTW).

First gen iPhone buyers that bought on contract right away at $500 a phone were all butt-hurt, too, when Apple dropped the MSRP to $300. Price you pay for being a fanboy and early adopter. Moreover, in a situation like this, the U clearly overestimated its worth but recognized that it has to make a certain amount of money to support the football team and rest of the sports there. Even more so, you're complaining about spending an extra $60 a person? Really?

I think the whole argument about these deals screwing season ticket holders is ridiculous. The seats are way worse in these deals than most, if not all season ticket packages. Isn't there a sense of pride that comes with being a season ticket holder? I would love to sit in the same spot for all the games, than get bumped around from seat to seat if I bought individually. Granted I am a student and my season tickets are cheaper, but I bought the season tickets despite the fact that I will miss two games because I feel I am supporting the team by being a season ticket holder rather than buying individual tickets. I could have bought tickets to the first two games for less money than my season tickets cost per game, but I didn't because I can spare an extra 10 dollars to the football team. While that may not seem like a big deal, I think it's just a small thing I can do to get the team back to winning games. While everyone's financial situation varies, I think if you bought season tickets, you already budgeted out that money for them. I don't think anyone is pulling out bank loans to buy tickets. But that's just my two cents.

Hope you all don't hate me for buying two tickets with this deal

Section 232

This is not about the ticket price, but about Syracuse the football team. What do we know about them. They lost to Northwestern 42-41. Lost to USC 42-29 and beat Stoneybrook 28-17.

Let's see:
Season ticket holder and the U agree on a specific price for a specific number of games in a specific location............and as time goes by nothing changes. All conditions in the agreement are kept.

Later, the U decides to reduce prices for remaining tickets to 1) attempt to fill the stadium, 2) raise a few more dollars for the team/school 'we all' support.

Next, some season ticket holders get upset because ' Johnny got a sucker and I didn't'.

Boom!

What a petty way to look at it. The University is trying to fill the stadium you cheapo & you should support them in their efforts. Don't you want the stadium FULL when we play on National TV with thousands of recruits watching? Don't you want the stadium rocking if you're gonna be at the game? Don't the players deserve a full crowd behind them as they go for 4-0? Sadly, this is what we have to do to build excitement right now. It's good business too, a loss leader. It gets people to the games who otherwise would not attend. Maybe they'll like watching our 3-0 squad playing in our PACKED on-campus, outdoor stadium? Maybe they'll come back & pay full price or buy season tickets if our team is fun to watch? Be a good sport & support getting the stadium packed without asking "what's in it for me?"
You nailed it!

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson
#Gophers have sold 4,500 $10 tix for the Syracuse game since Sat. at 2:30. 700 of those left, + 1,500 in better locations. Sellout possible.

#Gophers have sold 4,500 $10 tix for the Syracuse game since Sat. at 2:30. 700 of those left, + 1,500 in better locations. Sellout possible.
I have season tickets, but purchased 2 for my parents so they could attend the game. There older but I figured getting them out of the house and to the stadium to see the Gophers is worth doing.

How fun will this will be - first sellout since the Air Force game! Place should be rocking for (4-0)!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Kudos to those in charge.

Could be scalpers buying up tickets, trying to sell outside stadium. Hope the place is packed, though.

Could be scalpers buying up tickets, trying to sell outside stadium. Hope the place is packed, though.

I'm sure that's part of it. Still, this was a pretty well planned and executed move thus far.

As a season ticket holder, I'm nothing less than pumped up that the U has sold all these extra seats. It will make a better atmosphere for the game, which is of direct benefit to me. It generates revenue to the program, which is of direct benefit to the program for which I cheer. And it just might generate some loyal fans who will keep coming back.

I'm glad Athletics is getting serious about marketing this team...finally.

i really hope it is not. this would be a time when i hate how scalpers go about their mass ticket buying business. scalpers have their purpose, but hope they kept most of their greedy hands off these and they went to individual gopher fans/ticket buyers.

Curiosity got the best of me..checked StubHub..and looks like some folks (scalpers) did purchase some in bulk.

Just one example: Section 246 Row 31 Seats 1-20 $26 each.

Top Bottom