Reusse Writing the Facts

What's the point of that article? What is he trying to accomplish? Does he think people need or want to be reminded? Or does he just get some type of perverse pleasure in pointing out their futility?

What's the point of that article? What is he trying to accomplish? Does he think people need or want to be reminded? Or does he just get some type of perverse pleasure in pointing out their futility?

The point is that we have sucked for a long time and no one other then the 25,000 diehards care. It is a crucial time for this program in 2012.

Reusse is an average columnist in a weak media market. The Gophers didn't make a bowl, the Twins were garbage, the Vikings were terrible, the Wolves won't contend, the Wild won't contend, and the Gopher hoops team padded their record with a weak non-conference schedule.

Reusse has nothing else to write about, so he isn't worth worrying about. He drew the sports-writer short-straw.

Typical, blame and get mad at the writer/paper and not the program/school.

You, can read Reusse if you want. I don't! I wish Reusse would take his posion pen, shove it where the sun doesn't shine, crawl under a rock, and die. I never read or listen to him.

Perhaps we all need to look at this article for it's historical perspective. Remember, if we ignore our history, we may become doomed to repeat our history.

And, the other thing that can not be ignored from this piece is the fact that in this day and age, it IS really risky for a Division I Program to NOT be invited to a bowl game.

I can see no shame in acknowleging the truth of the situation as long as there is an absolute committment from the coaches, the administration and the players to begin to bring improvement to the program....and then getting it DONE! That is up to our leaders. THAT is their JOB.

The hard part is to make the improvements that will get the Gophers invited to participate in a bowl game in 2012. In my opinion, a start was made with the win over iowa and was followed up with the win over Illinois in 2011. It may be modest...but...it was the start of a response to Reusse's very harsh...but, also...very true history lesson.

There is no shame in owning up to the truth. There is ONLY shame if there is no committment to begin to accept responsibility for changing a history that produced a horribly negative impact. The history lesson has been delivered. It is now up to Coach Kill, his staff, the players and the University of Minnesota officials and administrators to reverse the course of history.

And now, we watch and wait and hope...Perhaps some day we can thank reusse for reminding the chief administrators at the University of Minnesota and any one who may read reusse for bringing this history lesson to our attention again. Maybe THIS time we will be moved enough to demand action...

Someone needs to copy this history lesson to prexy k, macturi, Coach Kill, Coach Kill's staff, all the returning players...and to all of us who call ourselves "die-hard fans..." We don't need to bash the history professor for bringing us the message. We need to put the pressure on the people who run the show to quit blowing the mission...

; 0 )

Typical, blame and get mad at the writer/paper and not the program/school.

I'm not mad; I just don't care. Reusse isn't to blame for the Gophers being bad, but why bother writing the article? It is clear that he has nothing else to write about, so why get worked up? Reusse isn't to blame for the Gopher losses, but this article just doesn't prove anything.

Writing this column is like writing a column about how bad the weather has been. Yeah, Pat, we get it. The column won't change anything and doesn't say anything he hasn't already said 20 times so, in my opinion, it isn't worth writing.

Not bothering to read it as usual, but most of us long time fans could have basically written the same thing. Gopher fans are very aware of how crappy we've been even if we don't go through the effort of researching old Tribune files for a few facts and scores like he probably did. Like others pointed out--what's the point? Just tired of his act.

History is not merely a recitation of dates, which often makes the subject dry and lifeless, but, rather, and more importantly, it should be educational (what happened and why), instructional (giving direction so as not to repeat and/or avoid similar errors), and at times inspirational (examples of persons and groups overcoming obstacles and succeeding in their endeavors, and why they succeeded). History lessons, therefore, should include critical analysis (understanding) with lessons learned, possible solutions as well as being educational, instructional and inspirational. Without those key components there's no history lesson, merely words without substance.

That's my take on history lessons . . .

Go Gophers!!

Still, reusse's history lesson points out the fact that the U of M has accomplished..

trips to the Rosebowl, a NC as well as a dozen invitations to lesser bowl games. He also reminds us that one of our conference border rivals has been able to rise to the level of many bowl invitations as well as numerous Rosebowl appearances and wins that have been achieved by our rival during our own period of dormancy in that regard.

Would this not imply that it IS possible for a Big Ten Program, under the direction of it's administrators, athletic director, coaches and the community to improve the plight of that program? It is really rather simple to retrace the rise of this rival program...to check the design...the plans...the courses of action...the costs...the resorces needed...the sacrifices made and the committments demanded from the chancellor on down the ranks.

It would seem that this would beg the question: WHY haven't the administrators and leaders at the University of Minnesota struck their own course of action that would help create an environment that would support a successful football program here at the University of Minnesota.

Quite frankly, I believe that reusse laid out all the clues...all the pieces of information that could lead to a formulation of an action plan that could inspire a course of action that could produce many positive results for the football program right here at the University of Minnesota IF...IF...IF the administration and the LEADERS of the University of Minnesota had the committment and the desire and the drive to just DO IT...

Just read that piece again. While the EXACT course of action needed is not laid out step by step...the key concepts are there.

1. The University of Minnesota had success long ago.
2. The university of wisky took action to BUILD a successful program.
3. It looks VERY bad to be in the company of other programs who have
NOTcommitted to being more competetive.

WHY are we satisfied to "shoot the person bringing the history lesson to us? Why don't we demand that our leaders and administrators should do MORE?

I see a LOT of stuff in that history lesson...a LOT...Are things really so different in Minneapolis from iowa city, madison, Ann Arbor, Columbus, East Lansing, Lincoln, et al? Not really. It just looks to me as though in those places they wanted to be successful and went about getting that done. I'm not sure IF our officials, leaders and administrators at the University of Minnesota either wanted that or were willing to make a committment to being successful at Big Ten Football after 1962...IF you are going to be a member of a conference you have GOT to make a committment to try to win the conference championship ONCE in a while. Wouldn't you think?????

; 0 )

I stopped reading Fat pat long ago

and I recommend to everyone that they do the same.

He reads Gopherhole - he even said so on 1500. He loves to get us all stirred up over his Gopher football comments. He is sh!t sandwich.

Maybe after 50 years we SHOULD be all "stirred up..." over the Gopher Football Programs long WILDERNESS WALK? Maybe we DO need to go out and FIRE somebody at the University of Minnesota or at least quit "flat-lining our passions and frustrations about the lack of pride for our football program for the past fifty years over in the athletic offices at the U of M...

; 0 (

C'mon gang. Everybody know what this is about. Reusse is like a little kid who gets his jollies by burning ants with a magnifying glass - and we're the ants.

Reusse has admitted that he writes articles like this solely for the purpose of generating a (negative) response. In other words, he writes an article, which he knows will tick off a lot of the Gopher diehards - and he does it on purpose. He wants to tick us off. And by reacting, we give him exactly what he wants.

We're giving the bully our lunch money. If you don't want to play the game, don't click on Reusse's articles, and don't respond when one of his screeds gets re-posted here.

And Pat, if you're reading this - the Fulda boys basketball team got their butts kicked Wednesday night. Ha, Ha, Ha.

I usually defend Reusse here. I think he is generally a very good writer, and can be an excellent writer when he has the right subject.

But this is just lazy on his part. He's not saying anything everyone doesn't know. This reeks of "I can't think of anything to write about, so I'm going to try and yank the chains of the people on GH."

I don't hate Reusse like some of the people here. I like his column, and his radio program, but yeah, this was kind of a stupid column to write.

So....

1. Reusse is wrong in what he writes about 50 years of Gopher Football but we don't care??

2. Reusse is right about what he writes about 50 years of G.F. but "we" don't care?

3. Reusse is right about what he writes about in this piece but we should act like we don't care because if we do that he won't get any satisfaction because it will appear that NOBODY even cares about Gopher Football?

4. We don't care even if Reusse is right because it's not cool to care about Gopher Football?

5. IF we ignore Reusse it won't matter what he writes whether it is right or wrong.

Do we really not care what reusse writes about the last 50 years of Gopher Football? I really can't say that I feel that way at all. I really DO know that I really DON'T care what reusse thinks about it, but I really DO care about how difficult the LONG Walk in the Wilderness for the past fifty years has been for the Gopher Football Program and I really don't care if Reusse knows that. What Reusse thinks is NOT the problem. The problem has been with the Football Program that the University of Minnesota Administration has run for the past half century.

I want the administrators and big wigs at the University of Minnesota to know that I am NOT happy about the last half century of Big Ten Football at the University of Minnesota. IF Reusse gets a kick out of that, I really don't care.

; 0 (

It is a dog bites man story by a columnist who is so predictable that any one of us could write his column for him.

Reusse must be dying. He wrote a Gopher column semi-related to the Rose Bowl and forgot to take his obligatory cheapshot at Brewster.

I'm as frustrated as any Gopher fan with our Rose Bowl drought, but why does Reusse only pick on the Gophers? I'd love to se him write about the beloved Vikings and their Super Bowl drought sometime. Also, every time Mason took us to a bowl game, he wrote about how it was "meaningless". It's only meaningless to HIM and only when it's convenient to write something negative about our program. Maybe just a little positivity (say, one in ten articles) would be a welcome change to his writing. Also note that his buddy, Souhan, hasn't written one thing about the Gopher BB team since Trevor went down with the injury. Should the Gophers lose at Ann Arbor on Sunday, look for a nice negative article by Jimmy S., mark my words.

You have selective hearing if you think Reusse only picks on the Gophers.

Yay, another Reusse tells it how it is post.
I'm not going to read it, but here goes: Gophers football sucks, has sucked, examples A-Z, too many bowl games, should play NDSU/Bethel, never going to change.

This is not the year to write trash like this. Quite frankly the lack of vitriol for the Twins and Vikings after complete jokes of seasons WITH talented players on the roster is surprising. At least Kill had the team playing better and winning later in the season.

Reusse is lazy and obviously has some sick fetish with tweaking gopher football fans i don't get.

At some point in Kill's career here he will have the team on the brink of a good season, should he fail, Reusse will immediately write a similar story about the program and how Kill is no different. Should he succeed, Reusse will write a column about how it doesn't matter really and how in the grand scope of things it's really no big deal.

The sports writing in this town is SO dumb. It's not even that it's mostly negative, it's that it's repetitive and obvious, with little insight or creativity.

Reusse has written this column many times before. It has been written here and on the previous Gopherhole site 2 or 3 hundred times before.

They only thing different about this one is it doesn't assign any blame. No Vikings, no Maturi, no fair weather fans, no Administration, no cold weather, no only game in town.

Reusse is not only phoning it in he won't even tell anybody who's on the line. :blah::blah::blah:

I like Reusse. The Gophers have been lousy and his job is to cover local sports with his own flavor. For the most part, he's been critical of the university but given the track record of our athletic programs over the past 20 years, I think that's fair.

He's a curmudgeon, that's his brand and he's that way with most of his stories. The University of Minnesota has been low-hanging fruit for him./ However, I think if the Gophers could turn it around even Reusse would acknowledge the accomplishment. Sadly, the past several decades haven't made him eat much crow.

I usually defend Reusse here. I think he is generally a very good writer, and can be an excellent writer when he has the right subject.

But this is just lazy on his part. He's not saying anything everyone doesn't know. This reeks of "I can't think of anything to write about, so I'm going to try and yank the chains of the people on GH."

I don't hate Reusse like some of the people here. I like his column, and his radio program, but yeah, this was kind of a stupid column to write.

I was going write this same thing, almost verbatim. Reusse can be very good, but when it comes to Gopher football, he really mails it in now. Is it remarkable consistency or a total lack of creativity when you submit the same column over and over and over and over and over?

Dear Pat,

You have written Gopher football articles like this for sometime to no avail. Instead of rehashing the same old negative articles why don't you do some research and figure out what the Gopher football program should do to get better? It kind of is a new concept. How about we see you try it for once? Do I think you will? Nope. Sad because you are sometimes smart. Ha.

Full disclosure; I didn't read the article and probably won't. Very likely nothing in it of which people weren't abundantly aware.

Reusse is a very talented writer, probably the best in the MSP market. His columns are frequently very entertaining. That's what makes offerings such as this appears to be so disappointing. He's capable of a lot more and I wish we would see it more often. I understand it's probably tough coming up with subject matter on a regular basis but I struggle with the columns that don't offer one single thing that is new material. Lack of originality is a writer's worst sin.

If Pat really does read the board as it's been suggested, maybe we should collaboratively help him out and come up with a list of suggestions for column topics. Anything to help out an old senile uncle from another side of the family, right?

Who is this Reusse character everyone is referring to? :rolleyes:

Full disclosure; I didn't read the article and probably won't. Very likely nothing in it of which people weren't abundantly aware.

Reusse is a very talented writer, probably the best in the MSP market. His columns are frequently very entertaining. That's what makes offerings such as this appears to be so disappointing. He's capable of a lot more and I wish we would see it more often. I understand it's probably tough coming up with subject matter on a regular basis but I struggle with the columns that don't offer one single thing that is new material. Lack of originality is a writer's worst sin.

If Pat really does read the board as it's been suggested, maybe we should collaboratively help him out and come up with a list of suggestions for column topics. Anything to help out an old senile uncle from another side of the family, right?

F him. If anything he trolls here to get material or his jollys off.

We have a local pro football team coming off of a horrible season no one seems to talk about, a twins team coming off of a 99 loss season, and a wild team that's lost 8 in a row. Writing about the gophers football team weeks after the season ends is stupid, it's obviously one of his generic columns he has on file to throw out when he's too lazy to think. Guaranteed this article has been on his mind as a holiday week throwaway since Oct.
On second thought.
Maybe he could write about how the gophers football season as bad as it was probably was the most successful of 2011 locally between the vikes, twins, wolves, or gophers bball. How bad is that? At least they beat a rival and finished stronger than they started, none of those teams can say that.

Top Bottom