Mason to New Mexico?

You are really whacked out tully55. In 1999 and 2003 the Gophers under Mason were on the verge of breaking into the shared Big Ten Champion role. Since then, the Gophers have crashed and burned under that brewster character. Coach Kill is here now and we MIGHT win 3 games this year if we are fortunate. It easily might be only two. That one over Miami, OH was an ooc creme puff. There were also some other ooc creme puff losses in 2011.Only one of them really counts & matters...that win over iowa. How many Big Ten wins are realistic for next season? At iowa? At Nebraska? At wisky? At Illinois? (Maybe at Illinois...maybe.) How many Big Ten home wins are realistic for next season? Micigan? MSU? Maybe NU? Maybe Purdue?

People like you tully55 had better get damned used to seeing less wins than the lowly Mason was able to accomplish here at Minnesota. I guess I'm just going to have to continue to contrast your smug little gamesmanship. In the five years since Mason was fired, Gopher Football has NOT been fun to watch. The NEW STADIUM not only has NOT helped...but...in only it's third season, attendance sucks at TCF BANK STADIUM.

Get used to it. I hope Coach Kill can some day succeed in winning enough Big Ten games so that even our own, out of touch with reality mobbers and bashers can actually experience our program being competetive in Big Ten play again. I really DO want him to succeed very much. However, for him to win more than 3 Big Ten games in a season will be a truely remarkable accomplishment.

The remarks you smug little mobbers and bashers make about the Coach Mason years will undoubtedly continue to be jammed down your throats when it becomes even more clear how difficult it really is to win a significant number of Big Ten games here at the University of Minnesota.

Now, Coach Kill should have a damn GREAT shot at beating both Northwestern and Illinois to end the season. Will he get that done? What the heck tully55: doesn't he even want to get us to the heights of mediocrity? Didn't he aim higher than 3 Big Ten wins and 4 wins overall in 2011??????

In the five seasons since Coach Mason was fired, the Gophers have only won 9 Big Ten Football Games. For THREE of those seasons, the games were played in the NEW ON CAMPUS STADIUM.

And YOU knock Coach Mason?????????

Things are supposd to be BETTER with the new stadium...right tully55? You can talk about how good things are going to be in the future all you want...but...the games are going to have to be won...or lost on the Big Ten playing fields.

You people continue to make the mistake of taking cheap shots at the best we have had in a LONG time. That means that we have to compare those days to THESE days. And, we sure as hell are coming up short THESE days...

You people are going to have to realize that there is NO magic formula to getting back even to the levels of competetivness that Coach Mason had this program at. Big Ten programs have been pounding us silly. Coach Kill and his staff are probably getting set to pay the price for the next three seasons or so to BUILD a program that has a CHANCE to be more competetive in Big Ten play.

And some of you people smugly try to take shots at Coach Mason?

I can only ignore this alternative reality that you people try to create for brief periods of time.

Coach Kill and his staff need all the help and all the time that they can beg, borrow or steal to start putting a team on the field that will be competetive in Big Ten play and will be capable of winning four or five Big Ten games in an 8 game Big Ten schedule. When that happens, it will be a GREAT day...a WONDERFUL day...an INCREDIBLE day. But, I fear that day will not be here for a while.

I think Coach Kill's contract should be extended to a full TENURE-type contract of "ten years" or more in order to give him and his staff a real chance to get close to a .400 Big Ten winning percentage. Even with the new stadium. It's going to be a REAL bear to get to that .400 winning percentage in Big Ten play.

Just this last game, that beating wisky put on the Gophers was NOT my idea of a program that is getting ready to compete in the Conference in Football. Maybe you people can snuggle into your alcohol induced little worlds and start trash-talking and HATING on wisky's coach and wisky's fans. But, it was a pretty unsettling scene for this old Big Ten Golden Gopher Football fan. It reminded me of just how far this program has to go to even get any where near a somewhat competetive level in Big Ten play. What kind of stuff are some of you people on?

; 0 (

Old%20Grand-dad%20100.jpg

However, for him to win more than 3 Big Ten games in a season will be a truely remarkable accomplishment.

So...you agree that Brewster achieved "a truely [sic] remarkable accomplishment" in 2 of the (almost) 4 years that he coached here by going 3-5 in both 2008 and 2009.

Thank you, next witness.

Hey there wildanimal with the keyboard stuck somewhere: I said: "...for him to win MORE than 3 Big Ten games in a season will be a truely remarkable accomplishment..."

Now what the heck don't you understand about MORE than 3 Big Ten games.

3 Big Ten games is LESS than MORE than 3 big Ten games wild animal with the keyboard stuck somewhere.

Can you comprehend? The loser brewster only won a total of 6 Big Ten games in 3 3/8ths Big Ten seasons. They threw his tail out of there mid-season...remember that?????

You are dismissed now...case CLOSED!

; 0 )

Iamthewalrus:
You talk with pride about only 2 of Mason's years at Minn. You fail to mention about his other 8 years. For instance, in his years after your quoted 2003 season, his BIG record was as follows:
2004...3-5
2005...4-4
2006...3-5
Not what I would really call a threat to break into the upper escelon of BCS. Of course if you pad your schedule with cupcakes in non- conference games you still can get all those much desired New Year's Day bowl games. Oops, I guess that great strategy didn't pan out too well either.
M-e-d-i-o-c-r-e is how I would spell all that.

imthewalrus Can you comprehend? The loser brewster only won a total of 6 Big Ten games in 3 3/8ths Big Ten seasons. They threw his tail out of there mid-season...remember that????? You are dismissed now...case CLOSED! ; 0 )[/QUOTE said:
How many BIG wins did Mason have in his 10 seasons before they threw his tail out? More or less than half?

"@schadjoe: New Mexico has hired former ND coach and ESPN Analyst Bob Davie"

Go Gophers!!

Interesting hire. He's been out of coaching longer than Mason.

It's a big name for New Mexico. Looks to be a good hire.

Of course if you pad your schedule with cupcakes in non- conference games you still can get all those much desired New Year's Day bowl games. Oops, I guess that great strategy didn't pan out too well either.

Scheduling "Bodybag" games has NOTHING to do with New Year's Day Bowl Game invites.
Rather, it is a strategy which entails padding a winning season in order to position your university in becoming bowl eligible.

There are numerous factors which are considered when sending and furthermore accepting bids. I'm sure this has already been discussed ad naseum when we were passed on in previous years.

There are numerous factors which are considered when sending and furthermore accepting bids. I'm sure this has already been discussed ad naseum when we were passed on in previous years.

Absolutely. The fact is, though, the Gophers went into three season finales in the Mason era with a chance to better their bowl position, and in at least one instance (2003), if not two (2005), a New Year's Day bowl bid was on the line. In each case, Mason's Gophers got pasted:

In 2002, with the Alamo Bowl announcing they would take the Minnesota-Wisconsin winner, the Gophers surrendered the final 21 points in a 49-31 loss.

In 2003, with the Outback Bowl announcing they would take the Minnesota-Iowa winner, the Gophers fall behind 40-6 in a 40-22 drubbing.

In 2005, the 7-3 Gophers went to Iowa City and trailed the 6-4 Hawkeyes 45-7 after three quarters in a 52-28 defeat. If an Outback Bowl bid didn't go out the window, at the very least the Alamo Bowl did.

Point being, every time the Gophers had a chance to get over a hump, they got thumped, by an average margin of three touchdowns. I am grateful for what Mason did, but that was his downfall.

If Mase still wants to coach, I think he'd probably do just fine there, and especially if he can round up some of his old staff to continue the journey with him. The guy's a good football coach in my opinion, and he does know how to put together a power-running offense that's just top-notch, and he also excels at coming into programs foundering on the rocks and turning them around. He obviously did that here, but unfortunately just never enough for our tastes. I'm sure in New Mexico though, he'd be hailed as a savior, and rightfully so.

The one concern I'd have for Mase taking a job like that is the laziness factor, as we all know he got progressively lazier, more secure and more complacent by the year in Minneapolis, as noted by his recruiting, or more accurately lack thereof. I'm not sure how likely it is for a man of his age to regain that 'fire in the belly', especially when he was demonstrably lacking in that fire in his later years here.

I think he should go for it though, if he wants to and feels he can make a difference there. It would be super interesting to see how he's able to do there, but on a selfish note, I'd miss him on the Big Ten network. I think he's a heck of a game announcer, and I like his studio work too. Oddly enough, he's much more likable to me now in his media roles than he was in his role as our football coach.

If Mase still wants to coach, I think he'd probably do just fine there, and especially if he can round up some of his old staff to continue the journey with him. The guy's a good football coach in my opinion, and he does know how to put together a power-running offense that's just top-notch, and he also excels at coming into programs foundering on the rocks and turning them around. He obviously did that here, but unfortunately just never enough for our tastes. I'm sure in New Mexico though, he'd be hailed as a savior, and rightfully so.

The one concern I'd have for Mase taking a job like that is the laziness factor, as we all know he got progressively lazier, more secure and more complacent by the year in Minneapolis, as noted by his recruiting, or more accurately lack thereof. I'm not sure how likely it is for a man of his age to regain that 'fire in the belly', especially when he was demonstrably lacking in that fire in his later years here.

I think he should go for it though, if he wants to and feels he can make a difference there. It would be super interesting to see how he's able to do there, but on a selfish note, I'd miss him on the Big Ten network. I think he's a heck of a game announcer, and I like his studio work too. Oddly enough, he's much more likable to me now in his media roles than he was in his role as our football coach.

Not sure if you saw the post a few above yours, but New Mexico already hired a coach and it's not Mase.

Not sure if you saw the post a few above yours, but New Mexico already hired a coach and it's not Mase.

Oops. Nope, I did NOT see that. :eek:

Well, you little dudes and dudettes will be getting exactly what you DESERVE for a long time to come. The five years since you fired Mason have NOT produced as many Big Ten wins as Mason's last five seasons did. In Mason'sfinal five seasons, he won 18 Big Ten games. In the five seasons since Mason was fired, the Gophers will not win more than 9 or MAYBE with some luck 10 or at VERY best 11 Big Ten games. (Coach Kill would have to beat both Northwestern and Illinois for the Gophers to have 11 Big Ten wins and he would have to win 1 of the 2 remaining Big Ten games to give the Gophers of the years since Mason was fired 10 Big Ten wins.

You people really deserve exactly what your have gotten. You really did deserve to walk in the wilderness for these last five seasons since you fired Mason. Will Coach Kill be able to step it up next season? How about the 2013 seasons. Or, will things start coming around by the 2014 season.

IF Coach Kill gets only the iowa win in 2011, during the next four seasons he is going to somehow have to win 17 Big Ten games. He will have to win four Big Ten games in three seasons and 5 Big Ten games in 1 season to go along with the 1 Big Ten game he has won in 2011, if he wins no more. If he wins 2 Big Ten games this season, he would just have to average 4 Big Ten wins a season for the next four seasons...just to match the final five seasons of Coach Mason and you dudes and dudettes just HATED Mason's last five seasons here at Minnesota.

I'd say the odds of Coach Kill doing that are not too great, considering the way things look at this point in time. But, I am really hoping he can step it up enough to return us to the competetive nature that Coach Mason brought the Gophers to.

And IF he can do it...we KNOW that you dudes and dudettes just woud NOT settle for that kind of result.

Well, dudes and dudettes, you just MAY have a VERY long walk in the wilderness waiting for someone...anyone to coach .500 Big Ten Football at the University of Minnesota. Even with the new stadium...and you current dudes and dudettes who think it's so damn easy to play .500 Big Ten Football at the U of M will most likely be long gone after a couple years of 2-6...1-7...3-5 type Big Ten Seasons for Coach kill and the Gophers. I'll keep supporting him, because I KNOW how difficult it is to "get over the so-called hump" for a football coach at the University of Minnesota. It is one of the most active grave yards of college football coaches.

And you dudes and dudettes who fired Mason deserve EXACTLY what you have gotten...

; 0 (

Wren, Mason is gone and since you've firmly attached your tentacles to his coattails, you should do the same and banish yourself to the land of wind and ghosts.

Well, you little dudes and dudettes will be getting exactly what you DESERVE for a long time to come. The five years since you fired Mason have NOT produced as many Big Ten wins as Mason's last five seasons did. In Mason'sfinal five seasons, he won 18 Big Ten games. In the five seasons since Mason was fired, the Gophers will not win more than 9 or MAYBE with some luck 10 or at VERY best 11 Big Ten games. (Coach Kill would have to beat both Northwestern and Illinois for the Gophers to have 11 Big Ten wins and he would have to win 1 of the 2 remaining Big Ten games to give the Gophers of the years since Mason was fired 10 Big Ten wins.

; 0 (
WOW! After coaching for Gophers for five full seasons you point out that Mason won 18 BIG games over his next 5 seasons. That means after recruiting his players for 5 years and implementing all of his offensive and defensive schemes and instilling his desires, goals, and direction for the team, his team that won 18 BIG games lost 22 games, a fact you managed to not point out. That's a whopping .450 win percentage. I doubt you will see an episode of Mason on Big Ten Icons.
Your logic and ranting only proves that Mason was a better coach than Brewster, something I doubt he would highlight om his resume'.

We will have to see just how well coach Kill can do before we start acting too smugly, won we tully55!!!!!!!!!!!!! So far, coach Kill has one Big Ten win in his first season. He has chances to win two more Big Ten games this year, and I really think it would improve his chances of getting to the Mason level if he does beat Northwestern and Illinois THIS 2011 season.

It's a hell of a lot tougher to win Big Ten games at Minnesota than you realize tully55...a hell of a lot tougher... Is Coach Kill up to the task of becoming Mason-esque in his Big Ten record at Minnesota? I hope he is tully55...I sincerely hope he is. In the past 22 years, Mason is head and shoulders above any other coach we have had here.

What is going to change tully55?

I am really pulling hard for Coach Kill to get 18 Big Ten wins in his first five seasons here. But...there are NO guarantees...from Coach Kill OR prexy k. It's a mighty tough gig...

; 0 )

Mason won only one Big Ten game in his first year, and thus far Kill has won only one Big Ten game. Since he has put up Mason-like numbers, you should be satisfied.

"...you people..." can mean anything you want it to mean zambam. I give you the license to "own" it if you want to. It really does have all kinds of "inner-hidden-deeper-secret-meaning..." associated with it and packed into it zmabam...but...I'm not going to just "give it away..." You figure it out in terms you can understand and comprehend. Then maybe we'll talk about it...

In the mean while, "...you people are getting exactly what you deserve..."

; 0 )

And that is one reason why I have stated all season long that it was essntial for Coach Kill to get at least ONE Big Ten win in his first season to improve his chances of having any kind of success here at the U of M. Even just ONE Big Ten win in a season is MUCH better than zero Big Ten wins in a season for a LOT of reasons.

I WANT Coach Kill to do MUCH better than Coach Mason did...He HAD to win at least ONE Big Ten game in his first season here to have a chance to equal OR surpass Coach Mason. I was SO incredibly happy when Coach Kill got his first Big Ten win...especially because it was a trophy win with a border battle state. No one was happer with that win than I was!

; 0 )

But you keep screaming at Kill and the Gophers for only having one win, ignoring that Mason only had one win his first year. And one win versus zero wins really doesn't make that much difference.

wren

If you want sainthood for Glen you are asking the wrong group. For that you need to go to the Vatican. Meanwhile you can keep lighting the candles for Glen. Just don't light too many or you might burn down your trailer.

rodentrampage: I CELEBRATE the fact that Coach Kill got a BIG Ten win to escape going winless in Big Ten play during his first year of coaching here at the University of Minnesota.
What I am saying is that some of the stinkers here on GH keep bashing Coach Mason's record in Big Ten play when it is the best Big Ten record of any other coaches here in a very LONG time. They are the ones who will eventually drive Coach Kill out of this job UNLESS he wins a LOT MORE Big Ten games than Mason did. I see no reason at this time to think that will be the case. When I look at the schedule, for the next few years, I just don't see a LOT of Big Ten wins for Coach Kill and the Gophers. The schedule reads Michigan, iowa, wisky, Nebraska, MSU...and then Northwestern and then a couple other teams from the other division on a rotating basis. Where are the wins in the next few years going to come from?

I will say that I fear some of the stinkers around here who talk so smugly and act as though Big Ten wins "should be" easy to get here at Minnesota will find that Coach Kill is going to be hard-pressed to reach the numbers of Big Ten wins here that Coach Mason did.

I'm a long time Gopher Fooball fan and believe me: I want Coach Kill to get all the Big Ten wins he can possibly get. I HOPE he passes Mason...yet, I also realize just how difficult it will be for him to do that.

Even though the new stadium SHOULD greatly help Coach Kill, Nebraska has been added to the yearly Big Ten Schedule.

I think that Coach Kill will ALMOST be a miracle worker IF he can come close to winning as many Big Ten games in his first five years...and in any additional years that he may have here as compared to Coach Mason's 10 year Big Ten record.

This really IS a tough gig.

; 0 )

some of the stinkers here on GH keep bashing Coach Mason's record in Big Ten play when it is the best Big Ten record of any other coaches here in a very LONG time.

His competition has been Brewster, Wacker, and Gutekunst. Let's nominate him for the Hall of Fame.

Hell, Holtz had a better Big Ten record than Mason playing almost exclusively with Salem's players.

Also, I wouldn't call 26 years a "very LONG time".

I will say that I fear some of the stinkers around here who talk so smugly and act as though Big Ten wins "should be" easy to get here at Minnesota

Who has said that? Seriously, cite one piece of evidence.

killjoy, before you pimp and pump too much hype, let's see how many wins Coach Kill can achieve here during the remainder of the 2011 season, in 2012, 2013 and 2014 before you try to bash Coach Mason too much.

The number of Big Ten wins vs. Big Ten losses for Coach Kill will be compared against Coach Mason's numbers as they are compiled. Coach Kill has the new stadium that Mason helped to get for him as a positive factor favoring him. However, to balance out the equation, Coach Kill has to coach against Nebraska in addition to wisky, iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and NU.

It is going to be VERY interesting killjoy.

; 0 )

Hell, dopodoll: lou hoax only stopped bylong enough for a cup of coffee and before he bagged tail in the middle of the night he already had the football program in trouble with the NCAA. Does the name LUTHER "the BAG-MAN" DARVILLE ring a bell dopodoll???? It certainly SHOULD. hoax was DIRTY and a cheat.

He NEVER would have sustained anything. The NCAA would have busted his head and his tail LONG before he would have done diddly squat here. hoax was NOT getting it done here...he was getting this program done in. He set Gopher Football back a LONG ways with his cheating ways and the way he bagged tail before the second season was even completed.

26 years is one hell of a long time dopodoll...then...add on the salem years...we are talking a LONG, LONG time any way YOU try to spin it dopo-d...

; 0 )

Top Bottom