Harbaugh Unrealistic?

Duluthguy

Reaction score
I've read several posts saying getting Harbaugh is almost as unrealistic as getting Dungy, but I'm not sure how anyone can actually know that.

Consider:
He has Big Ten roots.
His salary is estimated to be only 1.25Mil. Signed just a three year extension last year.
He's kind of trashed Michigan lately, so maybe he really wouldn't be that interested in them.
If Rich Rod survives at Michigan, he won't have that option anyway.
Interviewed for a pro job last year, so he's not totally committed to Stanford.
From what little I know, it appears his offense would work well in the Big Ten.
Some Stanford people threw a fit when there was talk of raising his salary to 1.25mil.
Once his QB graduates, his success may drop back some.

I'm not saying that he would be interested or take the job, but I can't see a reasonable reason why we wouldn't ask.

Would a head coach at Minnesota ever leave to take the Stanford job?

There's your answer.

I've read several posts saying getting Harbaugh is almost as unrealistic as getting Dungy, but I'm not sure how anyone can actually know that.

Consider:
He has Big Ten roots.
His salary is estimated to be only 1.25Mil. Signed just a three year extension last year.
He's kind of trashed Michigan lately, so maybe he really wouldn't be that interested in them.
Some Stanford people threw a fit when there was talk of raising his salary to 1.25mil.

I'm not saying that he would be interested or take the job, but I can't see a reasonable reason why we wouldn't ask.

We will ask and he will say no I think.

The only move his is going to be making is to the NFL (as I'm sure he wants to coach against his bro) or to Michigan. Not to Minnesota which is too bad.

Does anyone know if Disco Darrin Nelson from the Vikings is still with the Athletic Department at Stanford? Just curious......not sure if it has any bearing at all other than Harbaugh could get a feel for what Minnesota is like from him if he was considering a switch.

From what I know, Nelson liked Minnesota other than it being cold here, back in the day when he was still playing for the Vikings and I was a student at the U of M I used to deliver pizzas to the Nelson's when they lived in Minnetonka, nice family.

There's your answer.

Agreed that would never happen if a coach was successful here....Minnesota is a better job.

$ available for the coach, stadium, facilities, land grant big ten school....and fans starving for a winner!

There's your answer.

No, I highly doubt a coach at Minnesota making $3M would leave to coach Stanford to make $1M.

you are right

just sayin

We will ask and he will say no I think.

The only move his is going to be making is to the NFL (as I'm sure he wants to coach against his bro) or to Michigan. Not to Minnesota which is too bad.

I think he is currently pretty bitter towards Michigan. Sounds like the relationship may not be able to be repaired, although I'm sure enough money can do it.

If he really wanted to leave Stanford for another college job, he had the perfect opportunity last year with the Kansas job. They have new facilities, been to a BCS bowl recently and his wife was from the area. He didn't take it however so I think he is holding out for a elite college job or NFL job.

Harbaugh would be a killer hire, he is a Big Ten guy and might love the chance to coach here if the Michigan job is not available. A downside is that he could jump at the opportunity to coach in the NFL against his brother. With the exception of Trestman (who I think would be a good hire); just about coach we bring in and is successful will get offers to move on.

I think he is currently pretty bitter towards Michigan. Sounds like the relationship may not be able to be repaired, although I'm sure enough money can do it.

I don't think it matters what his feelings toward Michigan are. I think the other direction is more important in this case, and it would take a lot of "forgive and forget" for Michigan to ever offer him the job.

Yeah, has been more than bitter towards Michigan. Some of the things he has said has questioned the integrity and honor of Michigan's most sacred cows.

If he really wanted to leave Stanford for another college job, he had the perfect opportunity last year with the Kansas job. They have new facilities, been to a BCS bowl recently and his wife was from the area. He didn't take it however so I think he is holding out for a elite college job or NFL job.

The Kansas job isn't a good job.

Consider:
He has Big Ten roots.

We damn well better ask!!!!!!!

I don't think Michigan is an option for Harbaugh. He has publicly thrown Michigan under the bus a couple of times and well known Michigan alums such as Mike Hart have spoken out against Jim Harbaugh.

It doesn't seem like Harbaugh has a great relationship with his alma mater.

The Kansas job isn't a good job.

Agreed. I read GG's statement and the only thing that sticks out to me is the ties to the area his wife has. Why am I not surprised that an up and coming coach passed on a team that would have been left outside the BCS mix if the Big 12 had imploded just because his wife is from the area?

It depends on what his career goals are. If they are to eventually get to a helmet school or to the NFL, he would probably stay at Stanford until he got such an offer. He's already got it turned around there and undertaking the MN job, which outside of Lou Holtz hasn't really elevated anyone's job status in awhile, would be a big risk.

If his career goals are to get back to the B10 and to get a significant raise, then yeah, we have a shot, just not a great shot. Outside of playing in a more stable conference that isn't run by a bunch of Texas schools, are we really that much better of a job than Kansas? I've seen the Kansas offer from 2.5 to 3 million, about the top end of what we are allegedly willing to pay, and his wife is from that area, and he turned it down. I hope he comes here, by far my #1 candidate, I just don't see it.

He wanted the Gopher and Iowa State jobs when both Brewster and Chizik were hired. For 2.5 mil, he would come I bet.

I think Minnesota is a better job than Kansas. LIke Leach said, all the Big Ten jobs are good jobs. This conference is second to the SEC in terms of prestige. If you win big here, you're the unquestioned King of the athletic department. If you do it at Kansas, you're still going to be second fiddle to the basketball coach.

Agreed. I read GG's statement and the only thing that sticks out to me is the ties to the area his wife has. Why am I not surprised that an up and coming coach passed on a team that would have been left outside the BCS mix if the Big 12 had imploded just because his wife is from the area?

The only thing is, at the time he was considering the Kansas job no one could predict the Big 12 would explode.

Hiring Harbaugh is like my daughter's Christmas wish list. I don't care if its not realistic, I want what I want.

Harbaugh would be awesome. If he really is bitter towards Michigan, this is one of 5 teams that will be playing them every year and the only job out of any of them that is going to be open anytime soon. If I were Bob Bruininks I would give Joel Maturi a shotgun and a loaded Brinks truck and tell him to bring back Jim Harbaugh dead or alive.

I think Harbaugh has done fantastic job at Stanford and would be a great hire - tops on my list of all the names thrown out so far. To me, the idea of potentially doubling his salary means it's not unrealistic, though who knows if he is even remotely interested.

I don't think it is so much that he would leave Stanford, I think the real question is WHEN he leaves Stanford, will he come here? Stanford is a pretty good job and he will most likely have his pick of jobs at most places (college and NFL). I don't know if he would jump the gun and come here.

The only thing is, at the time he was considering the Kansas job no one could predict the Big 12 would explode.

Who?

Gopherhole's resident Huskers expert on 4-14-2009, while other posters were pointing out that the Big Ten could pretty much take its pick among most of the Big 12 schools:

Nebraska would never leave the Big 12 in a million years. They are one of the old Big 8 members and they would never leave those rivalries.

Who?

Gopherhole's resident Huskers expert on 4-14-2009, while other posters were pointing out that the Big Ten could pretty much take its pick among most of the Big 12 schools:

I was wrong, wasnt the first and won't be the last. Also never thought Texas would talk to the PAC 10 which lead to the instability and for Nebraska to look elsewhere, I am sure you knew however before Osborne even did. Afterall, at that time Nebraska hadn't had any contact with Delaney or the Big Ten. I can be a man and don't have a problem admitting I was wrong, you should try it sometime.

I think it is pretty obvious to most people that the Big 10 could have had almost any school from the Big 12 (exception of Texas), but Nebraska made the most sense.

Harbaugh Unrealistic?

Yes, why would he leave? Pretty sure he has enough money and he is coaching in Northern California. Which is a lot better than Minnesota. He is kicking ass in recruiting and will probably be a contender for the Pac12 title next year. Yea he is going to leave all that to take over a last place Big10 team just because he went to Michigan.

He will certainly leave Stanford at some time. I'd imagine Florida in a swamp is a better job than Hawaii, location has absolutely nothing to do with it. The question about Harbaugh isn't why would he choose MN over Stanford (because if those were his only two options, MN would be a better destination), it is why would he choose MN over all of his other opportunities?

How, right now, is Minnesota a better destination than Stanford? Location has lots to do with it. You can't tell with the way things are right now that you would take the Minnesota job over Stanford.

Who is winning more game?
Who is recruiting better?
Where is it 30 degrees out?
Where is it 61?

Top Bottom