Another potential name...

Doogie

Reaction score
My boss, Joe Schmit, has been digging around... he says to keep an eye on this name: Randy Shannon of Miami. Still underpaid in the ACC... buyout is reportedly only $500,000. Because Miami is a private school, his contract is not available for the public to see.

If his contract is not available, how can you say that he's underpaid?

Thanks for the info...that's a new one. Runs a good program from what I understand.

If his contract is not available, how can you say that he's underpaid?

I'm sure people in college football circles are quite aware of how much he is making and what the buyout is.

Re: Randy Shannon

Silly and no shot. The PC crowd at the U don't want to deal with his 9 children by 6 women issues.

I can see it now......

Randy Shannon comes to the U of M and brings a player with him. It's none other than old #77, Seantrel Henderson. Some things can never die.:eek:

Google Shannon new contract... signed it in May... several reports have it at $1.4 mil./year. Gophers can go higher if he wants to leave.

Silly and no shot. The PC crowd at the U don't want to deal with his 9 children by 6 women issues.
If we came from his background you and I would either be dead or junkies living in Liberty City. His teams are well disciplined and excel in the classroom.

Domestic abuse is one thing, but how far into someone's personal life are we going to dig for things we don't like? It's not even legal to ask about such things and frankly has no affect on his ability to coach a football team. I love how everyone on here is so willing to nitpick every option, especially non-football stuff. We are in no position to be picky. Mark Richt would have an entirely different group that wouldn't like him for his personal-life. Both can coach, which is all I and 95% of Gopher fans care about.

We would he want to come to the frozen tundra of Minnesota where the average high temperature is -20 and the sun only shines 14 days a year?

Domestic abuse is one thing, but how far into someone's personal life are we going to dig for things we don't like? It's not even legal to ask about such things and frankly has no affect on his ability to coach a football team. I love how everyone on here is so willing to nitpick every option, especially non-football stuff. We are in no position to be picky. Mark Richt would have an entirely different group that wouldn't like him for his personal-life. Both can coach, which is all I and 95% of Gopher fans care about.

+1. If he supports his kids then it is a now issue. It isn't the way I live my life, but its not up to me the tell others how to live theirs.

No, if this was an issue it wouldn't be from the alleged "PC crowd", but from the alleged "family values" crowd. But go ahead and keep grinding that axe.

I would be shocked if Randy Shannon would leave Miami..one of the best recruiting grounds for Minnesota. He doesn't have to travel outside of the Miami metro area to fill out his roster. Shannon is from Miami...went to school at Miami. I don't see it happening.

Take a look at his coaching record at Miami.. the guy has a pretty so-so record so far and is by no means doing a great job considering he took over a pretty good program.

I'll pass. We need a PROVEN winner, not just a coach from a big-name program.

Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't been impressed by Miami since Shannon arrived?

Seantreal Henderson is coming!?!?!? Is he bringing Walker Lee Ashley too??!!??

Im so excited! A new head coach and two 5 star recruits...sweet.

Can't win at Miami and he will win here? Voluntarily leave Miami for Minneapolis? Joe Schmit? Give e a break with this stuff.

Give me one good reason why he would come here? He is a Miami guy through and through. Why would he leave his alma mater and home town to coach for a worse program?

Can't win at Miami and he will win here? Voluntarily leave Miami for Minneapolis? Joe Schmit? Give e a break with this stuff.

I think saying he can't win at Miami is misleading. They were 9-4 last year and finished ranked 19th. They are off to a 5-2 start this season. They've been to 2 straight bowl games (which they lost). They are ranked again this year. Not saying he is setting the world on fire, but he is well on his way to a third straight winning season and bowl game.

Well... He wouldn't voluntarily leave Miami, he sees him being pushed out by Miami. He also didn't take over the best Miami team either.

This intrest better be coming from Shannon! Joel better not be wasting his time with this.

#1- Why would we want someone who is underachieving considering the amount of talent he generally has on the team?

#2- How do you not have elite teams when you have the Miami/Florida pipeline of recruits?

I say no thanks, we don't need an underachiever to come here and underachieve.

Give me one good reason why he would come here? He is a Miami guy through and through. Why would he leave his alma mater and home town to coach for a worse program?

The "U" may have zero interest... but, why would he come? Can make more than the $1.4 mil. he makes per year now... better facilities at a different school... more love (he was destroyed behind-the-scenes after the 4 TD loss vs. Florida State), and way less pressure.

THIS!

I wonder what qualifies as "digging around" for Joe Schmidt? Actually talking to people with connections? or randomly sifting through wikipedia entries.

#2- How do you not have elite teams when you have the Miami/Florida pipeline of recruits?

Because it used to be Florida and FSU. Then, Miami became a major school. But now Florida also has UCF, USF, FAU and FIU, all as FBS teams. By the way, look up how freaking huge those last four schools are. USF is the ninth largest school in the US.

There are more in-state options for big time football than there used to be.

Top Bottom