Thoughts on team as we head into Big Ten games

Ben is arguably coaching for his career. He’s not going to play Betts after what we’ve seen so far. He certainly gotten a few opportunities and was about as bad as I’ve seen. I’m ok decreasing Ihnen’s minutes if he doesn’t improve, but I certainly wouldn’t be giving them to Betts unless the game is in hand (either way).
While it's said a lot... There is only one poster truly tooting Betts horn

Minnesota being a better team for one.
In what measure? Every statistical measure has the Gophers as the worst team in the conference by far. Any game we'd win this year would be a sizable upset. There are games that we'd be more likely to win than others, but we should be statistical underdogs in every one. Saying we'll beat Penn State...well, that's why Las Vegas makes so much money off poor gamblers.

If Hawkins can learn to play under control they can win the close games. Down the stretch against Missouri he just killed the Gopher chances and it didn't have to be that way. As a point guard in crucial situations he needs to play under control and get the ball to his money guy.

In what measure? Every statistical measure has the Gophers as the worst team in the conference by far. Any game we'd win this year would be a sizable upset. There are games that we'd be more likely to win than others, but we should be statistical underdogs in every one. Saying we'll beat Penn State...well, that's why Las Vegas makes so much money off poor gamblers.
By jboy measure.

Penn St has actually dropped below the Gophers on KenPom after yesterday's debacle. But the Gophers are the worst team in the B1G until proven otherwise on the court. I do think the Gophers are in the neighborhood with Penn St and Maryland though.

Bad Gopher does not do his research clearly. I swear you said you were honored for your research in another thread :/

If you're talking about actual statistical measures of performance (like field goal percentage, rebounding percentage, or anything other than turnovers and steals given up per game) that's simply not true.

If you're talking about quantitative rating indexes, well, that depends upon which index you're consulting. Right now, Sports Reference's rating system has Maryland ranked below the Gophers and has Indiana tied with the exact same rating as the Gophers. Penn State is only slightly ahead of those two teams. Pomeroy has Penn State ranked below the Gophers. Team Rankings has the Gophers last in the conference with a rating of 4.7 but Penn State is only a few spaces ahead of them at 4.9.

But your's doesn't. You are comfortable telling others how they should feel and think. There's only one way, right?
How did you possibly get that from what I said? You can think whatever you want. I am not even sure why you felt the need to throw this straw man argument out there.

My opinions change regularly...I have never said or implied otherwise. They are also just my own I don't say people have to agree with me or that I am right.

Plus I didn't even give my opinion...all I said was opinions change. Bizarre take man.

If Hawkins can learn to play under control they can win the close games. Down the stretch against Missouri he just killed the Gopher chances and it didn't have to be that way. As a point guard in crucial situations he needs to play under control and get the ball to his money guy.
If I recall correctly, the Hawk was benched the last six minutes of Missouri.

That fact consumed multiple pages of a post game thread as well. There was no down the stretch for him.

Haven’t even tipped the ball in the big ten season and there are a lot of wet blankets in here. Sit back, have an adult pop and settle in for some hoops. The Big Ten season has arrived. Let’s go Gophers, play good D, take care of the ball, and let’s see what yah got!

Bad Gopher does not do his research clearly. I swear you said you were honored for your research in another thread :/
I stand corrected. I should've checked after PSU stubbed their toe. We should be favored against them at home. Yay!

Haven’t even tipped the ball in the big ten season and there are a lot of wet blankets in here. Sit back, have an adult pop and settle in for some hoops. The Big Ten season has arrived. Let’s go Gophers, play good D, take care of the ball, and let’s see what yah got!
and then the game started......

I do think it is a team that can win 5-8 big ten games. Ihnen should not be getting more than 5 minutes. Play 8. He isn’t not one of those. i play fox he can guard either and can rebound knows his role, isnt going to float on the 3 pt line and shoot 10%. Carrington is a much much better defender and rebounder even at the 3 than Ihnen could ever be.

Front court

Garcia-33
Payne-25
Fox-12
JOJ-10

Wings-Backcourt depenending on size
Hawkins-25
Mitchell-25
Carrington-25
Christie-30
JOJ-15
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Frustrated by how many gophers think they are great 3pt shooters, that are not: carrington was a good high school shooter, has done nothing from 3 in college. Ihnen with his crazy reach just stands around outside the three. He can be streaky when hot, but he offers little else on offense.

I am also bothered by not making the defense work and just launching long three's early in the shot clock. So many gophers do it and they don't get yanked.

Things I hope Ben can teach them. Not all players are natural shooters that should shoot their way out of ice spells. Find other ways to contribute!

After a couple of forced shots driving the lane and a turnover or two and the lead cut in half he was benched. By then confidence had eroded and the Gophers were on the defensive end of the spectrum.

He seems be learning from it. He is starting to play under control and the difference and the impact on the team is noticeable. It makes everyone better.

So you don’t think this team has any shot at winning 4 or more additional Big Ten games? They definitely do. Will they? I don’t know. Can they? Of course they can.
0% chance

Who are you going to pay $100 to for the Gophers winning more than the 9 games, which you said they wouldn't before the season?
A new low for Johnny boy bragging about 9 wins.....

Lets have them get there first eh?

Or better yet another bet that you think they hit 5 big wins this year? $200?

Who's bragging? Just pointing out how dumb you are. Carry on

I’d jump all over that if I were you. $200 for 5 conference wins??!!

It seems multiple numbers of u take pleaaure if the University of Minnesota does poorly! I feel sorry for you.
This group of players has a chance to be a decent Big Ten team. And funny they seem to be improving under a coach most of u label as a disaster or incompetent!
My prediction they will win 17-20 games overall and be in the NIT. And Ben is going nowhere. He will be back next year!

Going into the season my goal was making the NIT. That is if the injury bug didn’t take over as depth can only take you so far. We need to get and stay healthy going into the full BIG grind

We have one B1G win and that was a come from behind win at the Barn. The jury is still out on what kind of a team we have. At this point, I can only go by the past and the past makes me skeptical of success in the future. The kids will have to change my mind.

Top Bottom