Rumblings: Brian Ferentz will step down as OC.

Aren't we on pace to miss the 25 ppg metric too?
A lot will depend on how many times we play a TOP 3 in the country ranked team. Will it be ONLY two times (Michigan & tOSU), OR 3 Michigan, tOSU AND Michigan again, I would guess that may lower the Gopher ppg metric, which the Gopher wasn’t asked to or stupid enough to agree to. A 25 ppg mandate with the schedule the Gopher team has this year. The stinking Hawkeye was shut out by PSU, the only top ten ranked team (at the time) they played.

Hell, even that Ferentz led stinking Hawkeye team held the Gopher to 13 points in their kinnick stadium in front of their trash-throwing crowd. So, are you saying that makes the Gopher offense “Iowa-like?”

And: who is stupid enough to agree to a 25 ppl mandated metric any way?

Last edited:

It doesn’t make sense to change the play caller during a bye week but not until the 8th day of the 13 day stretch between games
Can you read English?

"...after this year."

Jeebus.

A lot will depend on how many times we play a TOP 3 in the country ranked team. Will it be ONLY two times (Michigan & tOSU), OR 3 Michigan, tOSU AND Michigan again, I would guess that may lower the Gopher ppg metric, which the Gopher wasn’t asked to or stupid enough to agree to. A 25 ppg mandate with the schedule the Gopher team has this year. The stinking Hawkeye was shut out by PSU, the only top ten ranked team (at the time) they played.

Hell, even that Ferentz led stinking Hawkeye team held the Gopher to 13 points in their kinnick stadium in front of their trash-throwing crowd. So, are you saying that makes the Gopher offense “Iowa-like?”

And: who is stupid enough to agree to a 25 ppl mandated metric any way?
The 25 PPG mandate was for Ferentz.

Jeebus.

someone who is desperate to keep their job.
Ferentz, the head coach is on the verge of looking as tired and worn out as Hayden Fry did in his final season or two as I recall it.

He’s had a great run, but a lot of things in Iowa and the B1G are changing pretty quickly. Ferentz always was an offensive line, defensive line guru. The lines on his face…and his lines in the games are looking pretty tired and somewhat faded.

with the new provisions in his contract, I think everyone realized this was a make-or-break season for Brian F. and barring a huge turn-around in the offense, Brian is not going to meet the benchmarks needed to keep his job.

So the question is - why now? Why make this move in the middle of the season? for all the complaints about the offense, we're still talking about a team that is 6-2 and in contention to win its division.

so I'll speculate - did someone tell Kirk Ferentz that he has to choose - drop his kid as OC or else?
who might be behind this - the AD, the administration, the boosters?

Personally I think it was Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the library, but I could be wrong.
Something called Queen.

Per ABC 9 KCRG
Published: Oct. 30, 2023 at 12:35 PM

IOWA CITY, Iowa (KCRG) - A report out today says Brian Ferentz will no longer be a Hawkeye at the end of this football season. That’s according to a report from David Eickholt with 247Sports.com. He cites multiple sources reaching out to the Hawkeye Insider

It's official Beth Goetz puts out a release that he is done after the bowl game.

25 is a tough number to average, esp. in the defense-oriented B1G. After 8 games, here is where B1G teams sit ranked by points per game.

Michigan 40.6
Penn St. 38.9
Maryland 32.6
Ohio St. 32.2
Rutgers 28.1
Wisconsin 24.8
Purdue 21.9
Northwestern 21.8
Minnesota 21.1
Illinois. 20.4
Nebraska 20.3
Iowa 19.5
Indiana 18.8
Michigan St. 18.0

If Iowa had Rutgers' offense, it would be 7-1, heading for an 11-1 regular season (because of its soft schedule). Even with its ridiculous offense, Iowa is 6-2 and probably headed for a 9-3 or at worst 8-4 regular season. The combination of elite defense and special teams is pretty potent.

Last edited:

I usually don't want to dump on a guy when he's down, but I am tempted to when it comes to Ferentz the Younger. Different last name and he's probably polishing up his resume so he can finally become assistant night manager at the Iowa City Holiday Station.

So he didn't "step down," he's been informed by the AD that she isn't going to give him a new contract. For anyone who hasn't been following the story closely, Brian doesn't report to Kirk as that would violate Iowa's anti-nepotism laws, he reports directly to the AD. Probably will never know, but it would be interesting to hear exactly what they discussed in those meetings.

Jerry Burns (video above) had big Iowa connections, and was kind of like Kirk Ferentz in some ways (taciturn, etc.), but was different in that he a personality and sense of humor. Burns was an assistant coach at Iowa under Forest Evashevski for seven seasons before becoming Iowa's head coach, tenure 1961 through 1965. To my knowledge, Burns never hired his son as OC!

I have no idea why tweets aren't embedding correctly for me, but you get the point:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Iowa will have a new OC in 2024.<br><br>The school announced today that Brian Ferentz, who has been the OC since 2017, will not be back. <a href="https://t.co/nOLlPw1qRq">pic.twitter.com/nOLlPw1qRq</a></p>&mdash; Big Ten Football (@B1Gfootball) <a href="">October 30, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think it's absolutely malpractice to have an OC/QB coach that was a linemen in college and the NFL.

Made a fair amount of money during his short time with the Hawkeyes. He should be very thankful for that as he wouldn't have gotten that elsewhere.

Well, good point, but this is a cumulative thing. We haven't been averaging less than 20 points per game for the last two years. Even during the 2021 season with our much maligned OC, the Gophers averaged 25.5 points per game.

She didn’t even let him pretend to take the high road and resign.
Also didn't let him take a demotion to Offensive Quality Control or something made up.

We don't know whether she gave him those options or not, although I can't imagine him wanting to be demoted. Maybe she did and he told her to stick it. She's letting him stay (and get paid) through the end of the year. We'll see whether he does that or whether he leaves early.

She learned under Maturi how to make the hard decisions and not let them drag on.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom