Rumblings: Brian Ferentz will step down as OC.

NoelarBear

Reaction score
Hearing rumblings that there will be changes down in Iowa City regarding Brian Ferentz.

Makes no sense for it to come out today. Why not Tuesday last week during bye week

Did anyone else notices the stat they showed during the Iowa game... It said Capt Kirk lost to MN in his first season as an OC at Iowa. And he lost to MN in his last season as OC at Iowa.

Then he lost to MN in his first season as Head Coach.

Was really strange, like they are trying to tell us this is his last season. Wouldn't surprise me.

Makes no sense for it to come out today. Why not Tuesday last week during bye week
It makes sense if it is a demotion rather than a firing and someone else on the staff is becoming OC.

It makes sense if it is a demotion rather than a firing and someone else on the staff is becoming OC.
It doesn’t make sense to change the play caller during a bye week but not until the 8th day of the 13 day stretch between games

And to be fair, Ferentz isn't the only issue. There is a dire lack of talent on offense. And you can't win on defense and special teams every single week (as seen in the MN game). No offensive coordinator can make up for that.

Sounds like something coming out at 1 p.m.

with the new provisions in his contract, I think everyone realized this was a make-or-break season for Brian F. and barring a huge turn-around in the offense, Brian is not going to meet the benchmarks needed to keep his job.

So the question is - why now? Why make this move in the middle of the season? for all the complaints about the offense, we're still talking about a team that is 6-2 and in contention to win its division.

so I'll speculate - did someone tell Kirk Ferentz that he has to choose - drop his kid as OC or else?
who might be behind this - the AD, the administration, the boosters?

Personally I think it was Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the library, but I could be wrong.

with the new provisions in his contract, I think everyone realized this was a make-or-break season for Brian F. and barring a huge turn-around in the offense, Brian is not going to meet the benchmarks needed to keep his job.

So the question is - why now? Why make this move in the middle of the season? for all the complaints about the offense, we're still talking about a team that is 6-2 and in contention to win its division.

so I'll speculate - did someone tell Kirk Ferentz that he has to choose - drop his kid as OC or else?

Personally I think it was Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the library, but I could be wrong.
Recruiting!

If someone told Kirk F he had to fire his son mid season there is a 51% chance this is kirks last year

Did anyone else notices the stat they showed during the Iowa game... It said Capt Kirk lost to MN in his first season as an OC at Iowa. And he lost to MN in his last season as OC at Iowa.

Then he lost to MN in his first season as Head Coach.

Was really strange, like they are trying to tell us this is his last season. Wouldn't surprise me.
The stats we get during games are a joke now.

I think they’re supposed to be a joke sometimes but the TV guys don’t understand and present them seriously…

Unless the change was made last week and is just now being announced.
I have a tough time believing something like that wouldn’t leak for a full week. But yes, it would make more sense last week

Given that the players know about the 25 ppg thing, at some point Brian becomes a laughingstock and a distraction even within the program and staff. It will only get worse.

Very sad news for Big Ten.

It doesn’t make sense to change the play caller during a bye week but not until the 8th day of the 13 day stretch between games
I’m thinking it was a weeklong transition with the staff last week, and it’s just now obvious to the players and those close to the program that it means he is no longer the OC as of this week.

Given that the players know about the 25 ppg thing, at some point Brian becomes a laughingstock and a distraction even within the program and staff. It will only get worse.

Very sad news for Big Ten.
Maybe. Or maybe it becomes very happy news because Kirk F becomes bitter (more) and spiteful (more) and quits.

And the Iowa program is left out in the wilderness after they hire the Montana coach

I’m thinking it was a weeklong transition with the staff last week, and it’s just now obvious to the players and those close to the program that it means he is no longer the OC as of this week.
That would make more sense but I would think it would’ve leaked faster

From the Iowa 24/7Sports guy : BF will coach the remainder of the 2023 season but will not return in 2024.

The rumblings I hear/read are that he's done after this season.

this makes more sense. I just didn't see Kirk F. making the change in-season.

by announcing it now, it allows Iowa to begin screening candidates for the OC job for next year. and it gives Brian F. time to freshen up the resume and go looking for a new job.

I bet his current employer will give him a good reference.

"Daddy says I done a good job."

Top Bottom