John Gutekunst29–36–20.448
Jim Wacker16–390.291
Glen Mason64–570.529
Tim Brewster15–300.333
Jeff Horton2–30.400
Jerry Kill29–290.500
Tracy Claeys11–80.579
P. J. Fleck44-270.620

That is some impressive company to be in. Having said that, it is so far under the general college football fan’s knowledge that without that tweet, no one would know. The losses to bad Iowa teams that last 3 years have kept us from not only being ranked, but from appearing the in the Big10 title game at least twice probably. As such, we are an afterthought to most fans.

It’s still a tremendous accomplishment, and I’m so proud of this program and the path we are on. But at the same time, we’ve left a lot of meat on the bone.

That is some impressive company to be in. Having said that, it is so far under the general college football fan’s knowledge that without that tweet, no one would know. The losses to bad Iowa teams that last 3 years have kept us from not only being ranked, but from appearing the in the Big10 title game at least twice probably. As such, we are an afterthought to most fans.

It’s still a tremendous accomplishment, and I’m so proud of this program and the path we are on. But at the same time, we’ve left a lot of meat on the bone.
The only “bad” Iowa team was this year, and even that team is going to a bowl. Last year they won 10 games, they went 6-2 in 2020, and won 10 games in 2019.

I don't want to hear about weak schedules, teams they should've beaten, recruiting, playcalling, "Tressel ball", etc. This is flat-out impressive. The level of consistency, preparation, and depth this requires is massive. Kudos to PJ and his staff for getting the program to this level. I'm excited to see whether they can take the next step.

I get a kick out of the Tweet comments noting that Notre Dame isn't a Power 5 football school. I hadn't thought about that, but they aren't.

"...we are an afterthought to most fans." Including sports fans in the Twin Cities. I'm guessing most Gopher FB fans are alums while not such a factor in those other markets.

I don't want to hear about weak schedules, teams they should've beaten, recruiting, playcalling, "Tressel ball", etc. This is flat-out impressive. The level of consistency, preparation, and depth this requires is massive. Kudos to PJ and his staff for getting the program to this level. I'm excited to see whether they can take the next step.
What do you and other fans think is the ceiling for Gopher football?

Its a process and we're on our way

I get a kick out of the Tweet comments noting that Notre Dame isn't a Power 5 football school. I hadn't thought about that, but they aren't.
Not in a conference but clearly considered a Power 5 program.

Cal Stoll39–390.500
Joe Salem19–35–10.355
Lou Holtz10–120.455
John Gutekunst29–36–20.448
Jim Wacker16–390.291
Glen Mason64–570.529
Tim Brewster15–300.333
Jeff Horton2–30.400
Jerry Kill29–290.500
Tracy Claeys11–80.579
P. J. Fleck44-270.620

Jeff Horton (MN) vs Iowa: 1-0

Man, for some reason I don't remember Brew being here for 45 games. Felt like about a season or a season and a half.

For those of us who lived through the Salem and Wacker and Brewster years. If you'd have told us that this team was getting 8-10 wins a year at this point, we'd be ecstatic. Sure there are disappointments, but Gopher football in general has been fun to be a fan of for some time.

Consistency.
  • The Gophers seem to lose fewer significant players to the Portal vs peers.
  • The Gophers often have eligible players who would likely get drafted returning.
  • The Gophers are recruiting and developing quarterbacks internally.
  • The head coach is entering his 7th year. No real signs of him going anywhere.
  • The coordinators were both here at the beginning*
  • The bowls under Fleck have all been wins showing a trend of finishing strong and motivated
While the West title has eluded the Gophers, this has been the best run of consistency for the program since the national title eras of the 1930s and early 1960s.

Jeff Horton (MN) vs Iowa: 1-0

Man, for some reason I don't remember Brew being here for 45 games. Felt like about a season or a season and a half.
Another thing people forget is that Brew went to 2 bowl games in 4 years. Not that that’s impressive by any means but based on memory you would have thought he won about 3 games in his whole tenure the way people talk.

I think it's realistic for this program to follow the Kansas State model. They were a program that came out of nowhere and has become a consistent winner for the last 30 years. I think Fleck could create a legacy here comparable to Bill Snyder at KSU.

I think it's realistic for this program to follow the Kansas State model. They were a program that came out of nowhere and has become a consistent winner for the last 30 years. I think Fleck could create a legacy here comparable to Bill Snyder at KSU.

That's exactly what Mason did (following the K State model). The following disastrous firing then hiring of a terrible coach put them behind that trajectory by several years.

That's exactly what Mason did (following the K State model). The following disastrous firing then hiring of a terrible coach put them behind that trajectory by several years.
I agree. Changing coaches on a whim is a bad idea. I think Fleck has more potential than Mason because he seems to see this as a destination job.

About a year ago, I was thinking about which FBS team would be a comparable to Minnesota in the current era. I looked through recent historical conference standings and came to the conclusion that the Gophers are the Big Ten's Kansas State.

This tweet is very valuable information for two reasons:

1) it reminds MN fans that Fleck comparatively has done a very good job here; and 2) more importantly, should make people realize that winning 9+ games for a three year period is not very common for a second tier football team. Most of those teams listed are 1st tier teams who have double digit win seasons regularly.

Top Bottom