Athan Kaliakmanis struggles?

If you thought he was going to be on fire this game…. I doubt you were watching him this year.

Tanner Morgan vs Iowa, career:

2019: L, 19-23 • Passing: 25-36, 368 yds / 1 TD / 0 INT

2020: L, 7-35 • Passing: 16-33, 167 yds / 1 TD / 2 INT

2021: L, 22-27 • Passing: 14-30, 183 yds / 1 TD / 0 int

------

TOTALS: 0-3 • 55-99, 718 yds / 3 TD / 2 INT

Fact is, Athan raises the ceiling of our offense at a desperate point in the season. We need to play him. He gives us the best chance to stretch the field against Iowa and Wisconsin's defenses

If Tanner is healthy, he gives us the best chance to beat Iowa. Iowa is a team that feeds off of turnovers. Not a good matchup for a Freshman QB.

Tanner is a sitting duck for that Iowa front 7. He has also shown that he will still throw silly picks (early Axe game last year)

Fact is, Athan raises the ceiling of our offense at a desperate point in the season. We need to play him. He gives us the best chance to stretch the field against Iowa and Wisconsin's defenses

I didn’t see any ceiling raised by him today…

Don’t forget about Athan’s running ability. I don’t think he missed too many throws today. I would start Athan next week, even if Morgan is healthy.

Tanner Morgan vs Iowa, career:

2019: L, 19-23 • Passing: 25-36, 368 yds / 1 TD / 0 INT

2020: L, 7-35 • Passing: 16-33, 167 yds / 1 TD / 2 INT

2021: L, 22-27 • Passing: 14-30, 183 yds / 1 TD / 0 int

------

TOTALS: 0-3 • 55-99, 718 yds / 3 TD / 2 INT
Wait til you see PJs record

Pros of playing AK against Iowa
Running ability might help take some pressure off of Mo
Can roll the pocket more to allow things to develop

Cons of playing AK against Iowa
Potential for Freshman mistakes against a really good D (to his credit he has avoided those for the most part in his games so far). Ball security against Iowa is paramount because if you make them drive the ball to score they will struggle. If you let their D score or give the lots of short fields they can beat you.

Success versus Iowa hinges on defense, not turning it over, and hoping the ball bounces the right way, ie the opposite of 2021. MN is not Ohio State in terms of playmakers. I don’t think Athan’s marginally better running ability versus Morgan offsets a hypothetically increased risk of turnovers if MN has to put the ball in the air.

Let me have it.

I'm just not sure that Athan is more turnover prone than Tanner. He had one against Penn State but none against Nebraska and Northwestern. He did have two in limited time against Illinois but the game was a hot mess for the whole offense.

I'm just not sure that Athan is more turnover prone than Tanner. He had one against Penn State but none against Nebraska and Northwestern. He did have two in limited time against Illinois but the game was a hot mess for the whole offense.

Morgan has thrown 2 INTs in 99 attempts in his three career games vs Iowa.

Did you see it lowered?
Not much different than Tanner on a not good day.

I give him credit for no INTs / not beating himself. For a young guy that’s a good thing. I was worried he might force it more like vs Nebraska but he didn’t have to and smartly chose not to.

Last edited:

Tanner is a sitting duck for that Iowa front 7. He has also shown that he will still throw silly picks (early Axe game last year)

Tanner Morgan has thrown a total of 2 (two, count 'em) INTs in 99 passing attempts against Iowa.

Would you like to see his career record against Wisconsin?

He’s not ready he’s not ready he’s not ready. I wish it were different

But today justified every start PJ has given tanner

Northwestern is dog shit. We don’t have the line or the receivers. AK did not look good against a defense that had a week to prepare for him

That's what I normally see when we win.

What do you normally see?

But, but, but... Athan is taller, and has a bigger arm, and is faster, and has more hair!!!!

How could it possibly be the same?!?!

But, but, but... Athan is taller, and has a bigger arm, and is faster, and has more hair!!!!

How could it possibly be the same?!?!
If it is the same, play the young guy. Next season is here in 10 months.

You didn't want to play AK, after Nebraska you wanted to start AK, now you don't again. You almost seem giddy that AK didn't have a great day.

L. M A O

I really shouldn't say this, but I believe had we started AK day 1, we'd totally control our own destiny in the west. 8-2

While I am sure he wants a couple of throws back but man does he zip that ball. What I saw that I liked was his composure under pressure. Someone can fact check me here but did he take a sack? He escaped pressure and extended plays - some for positive yards. Sorry but IMO Tanner takes a sack on some of those plays. Just my take …. I am just warming up - chilly out there today

If it is the same, play the young guy. Next season is here in 10 months.

You didn't want to play AK, after Nebraska you wanted start AK, now you don't again.

L. M A O

I never said I wanted any particular QB to start against Iowa.

And regarding your "LMAO": your ass has been thoroughly laughed off a long time ago.

Tanner was under 50% passing completions in the last 3 games against Iowa. When he is under pressure, not good.

He was off but certainly think he could play a good game vs Iowa. It was maybe a probably with gripping the ball in the cold weather?
The threat of him running on RPO is a bigger advantage than Tanner possibly being more accurate with his passing.

He played HS football in Illinois, not Crete

I never said I wanted any particular QB to start against Iowa.

And regarding your "LMAO": your ass has been thoroughly laughed off a long time ago.
You didn't want to play AK, after Nebraska you wanted start AK, now you don't again.

So who should start next Saturday, in your opinion?

Top Bottom