Armelin Signed Yesterday

Agreed. I'de rather watch a boy grow over 3-5 years into a responsible young adult than watch a self-absorbed and entitled hotshot acquire what he wants at to the detriment of others.

I'm not going to take this guy's word... especially from an old post, but right now I (we) have no way to know if Chip is going to have a Lawrence Westbrook attitude or be a great Paul Carter type guy.

TorNation
Sulphur, LA
Member since Aug 2008
120 posts

re: Chip Armelin (2010 basketball)
Chip is not as good of a player as Martin Zeno at this stage. Biggest difference I see is Chip needs to improve on defensive end. Also tends to get an attitude if he thinks he's not getting enough touches. If Zeno wasn't getting his touches he made them by going to the boards. Chip has a very quick step and can definitely finish at the basket. Still not convinced he is SEC caliber player.

Johnson

Small forward
Corsicana, Texas
Eldon Academy (Mich.)
Ht:6'7"
Wt:190 lbs
Class:2006 (Prep School)

He was 6-7 in 2006. Is he 7-0 tall now? That would be "growing 5 inches" in college.

I'm not going to take this guy's word... especially from an old post, but right now I (we) have no way to know if Chip is going to have a Lawrence Westbrook attitude or be a great Paul Carter type guy.

TorNation
Sulphur, LA
Member since Aug 2008
120 posts

re: Chip Armelin (2010 basketball)
Chip is not as good of a player as Martin Zeno at this stage. Biggest difference I see is Chip needs to improve on defensive end. Also tends to get an attitude if he thinks he's not getting enough touches. If Zeno wasn't getting his touches he made them by going to the boards. Chip has a very quick step and can definitely finish at the basket. Still not convinced he is SEC caliber player.

98VQueens, please tell us the reason for all the negative posts. It is a done deal. He is a Gopher and I will support him 100%. Like any other recruit, we can only hope that he is better than advertised. Please stop bashing our players if you are a true fan. Thanks.

Go Gophers

98VQueens, please tell us the reason for all the negative posts. It is a done deal. He is a Gopher and I will support him 100%. Like any other recruit, we can only hope that he is better than advertised. Please stop bashing our players if you are a true fan. Thanks.

Go Gophers

Thanks, that cracked me up... My words were not negative, I bashed nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN1nAZ
Agreed. I'de rather watch a boy grow over 3-5 years into a responsible young adult than watch a self-absorbed and entitled hotshot acquire what he wants at to the detriment of others.

We don't know what kind of character he will have (let's not pretend to know), we can only hope he will become a responsible young adult. Hence the LW - PC character reference.

I wish we could get past this idea of finding some sort of comfort in not taking "bad kids". Beyond the fact that talent does not = "bad", this is MAJOR COLLEGE BASKETBALL. I want Minnesota to compete, and to compete you need top talent. I'd much rather take a chance on a kid or two who's had some problems in the past (if necessary) than take a kid who should be playing for a bottom of the Big Ten team. It's been 13 years since the Gophers won a title and 13 years since they even won an NCAA game, plenty of "good" kids and a few "bad" kids have past through the program in that time. A lack of talent, foolish decisions to enter the NBA draft and some terrible luck have factored in to that draught. The one area the program has some control over is talent, and it simply needs to get back to recruiting the type of classes we saw in Tubby's first two years here.

Thanks, that cracked me up... My words were not negative, I bashed nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN1nAZ

We don't know what kind of character he will have (let's not pretend to know), we can only hope he will become a responsible young adult. Hence the LW - PC character reference.

Now You make laugh. LSU board is considered as a valid source?

Now You make laugh. LSU board is considered as a valid source?

Did you fail reading comprehension? I started it off with 'I'm not going to take this guy's word... especially from an old post.'

When did I say it was a valid source? If he was actually from Chip's home town he has a better vantage point then us... IF.

Haven't heard of this guy. Where is he ranked nationally?

The campus is pretty good...

Minnesota's campus is way better than "pretty good". I don't know if it's better than LA Monroe but I do know it's better than pretty good.

Clipped From American Press (Blog) Last Week

Sulphur’s Armelin signs with Golden Gophers (8/11)
Posted August 10, 2010 at 11:36 pm

By WARREN ARCENEAUX
AMERICAN PRESS

SULPHUR — A return to the summer basketball circuit paid off for Sulphur graduate Chip Armelin, who signed with Minnesota after impressing the Golden Gophers coaching staff at a June AAU tournament in Florida.

After Armelin caught the eye of Minnesota assistant coach Ron Jirsa while playing with the Louisiana Stars summer team, the Golden Gophers began pursuing Armelin. Last year, Armelin skipped some summer tournaments to prepare for football season.

“I played at a showcase tournament in Florida, and afterwards Jirsa talked to me and said he liked my game and thought I would fit with their style of play,” Armelin said.

After doing a bit of research, Armelin agreed with Jirsa, the former head coach at Georgia and Marshall.

“I watched a few of their games on TV and was impressed, they are active on defense and play man-to-man pressure,” he said. “Their offense is real similar to what we ran in high school so I think it is a good fit.”

Armelin decided on Minnesota after visiting the campus. He was also recruited by Texas El-Paso and Oregon, he said.

“They have nice facilities and are building a new practice gym,” he said. “It is far away and I am going to miss my people here, but I am going up there to do my job. I am going to get an education and take care of what I have to do.”

Armelin has received advice from fellow Sulphur alum Martin Zeno, who played at Texas Tech.

“He just told me to work hard, stay focused and to make sure to get my books,” Armelin said. “I have not decided what I am going to study yet, I am probably going to enter in liberal arts and spend that first year looking at different options.”

On the court, Armelin will get a chance to play for a national champion coach in Tubby Smith, who led Kentucky to the 1998 championship. Minnesota went 21-14 last year, reaching the championship game of the Big Ten tournament and losing to Xavier in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

“I have talked to Coach Smith and he is real humble,” said Armelin. “He tells you like it is, which I really like it. I already feel like we have a good relationship and I hope it grows over the next four years.”

Armelin averaged 21.1 points and 7.5 rebounds per season this game, leading Sulphur to a 30-6 record. He was named second-team allstate for the third straight season and the American Press All-Southwest Large Schools Player of the Year.

Armelin’s Sulphur teammate Matt LeBato has already left for school after signing with the University of Denver.

“It is not often we get Division I players here, it feels good having had two this year,” said Tors head coach Clint LeBato, Matt’s dad.

“Chip started as a freshman and had a great career here at Sulphur. I’m glad he is getting this opportunity to keep playing at a high level.”

Armelin is the sixth signee in a Minnesota class that includes two other shooting guards.
“Coach Smith already told me that we have a lot of freshmen coming in, so I have to be ready,” Armelin said. “I have been doing a lot of shooting drills and playing some pickup games to get ready. My dribbling and defense have improved over the years, I feel those parts of my game are ready for the next level, but I want to get better all parts and my shooting is really improving.”

Armelin, a Georgia Tech fan growing up, is studying up on the Big Ten before heading up to the Twin Cities in a couple of weeks.

“I have been watching games and clips on YouTube, and it looks tough, but I am ready for the challenge,” he said. “It is a great opportunity to play for a coach like Tubby, something I have always dreamed about, and I am glad to get a chance to take advantage of it. It felt great to sign the papers and become a college player.” “

pass it around for 25 seconds, dish it to westy in the iso, let him get his own shot at the buzzer swish. that offense?

And what offense is that exactly? I'm sure most of us would be interested to know, including some of the Gopher players :rolleyes:

You may want to ask him - he is quoted thusly.

The Gophers had #2 offense (in terms of PPG) in Big 10 last season, per B10 official stats.

Create offense from strong defense, run whenever you can.

Funny that should come up. I kinda thought about starting a thread on these tweet(s) from Al Nolen and Damian Johnson but didn't want to draw the attention it could create ..

Al said:

I'm watching these old tapes we should just pressed every team msu purdue everybody Im salty cause they woulda been shock

Damian replied:

man no team in the big team had a pg that would been able to handle us pressing def purdue wisc mich

Just bringing it up for conversation's sake.

i agree with al and damian, although kalin lucas can deffinately break a press, hopefully Al and Rodney or Mbakwe do that this year

The funny thing is, guys like that don't bring programs to the next level. I may be forgetting someone, but I'm 99% sure that the only one-and-done ever to lead his team to a title was Carmelo in 2003. Schools that are able to keep guys for at least 2 years, and preferably 3 or 4, are the ones that win the overwhelming majority of the time. If cohesion, experience, familiarity, etc. weren't at least as important as talent, you would never see schools like Davidson, George Mason, (and Butler, to some extent), make the runs that they do. Likewise, we got little-to-nothing from guys like Rickert, Humphries, and Przybilla. That's one of the reasons I was so excited for Williams and White - I figured they'd be program guys that would stay 2-3 years and bring this team some deep runs. In other words, guys who were good, but not quite good enough to make the leap immediately. Give me a team full of guys like that any day over a team full of John Walls. White couldn't keep his head out of his rectum long enough to achieve anything, but maybe Williams can still be that kind of player for us.

Why do people always do this on here??? Davidson, George Mason and Butler are the exceptions to the rule. That's why everyone pays attention when teams like that make deep runs in the postseason, because its a rare occurance. MOST of the time, the Final Four is made up of top-tier programs that ink several 4-5 star recruits every year. Bottom line.

Why do people always do this on here??? Davidson, George Mason and Butler are the exceptions to the rule. That's why everyone pays attention when teams like that make deep runs in the postseason, because its a rare occurance. MOST of the time, the Final Four is made up of top-tier programs that ink several 4-5 star recruits every year. Bottom line.

The 1998 UK Wildcats had (1) 5 Star recruit and several 4 Star recruits but MOSTLY 3 Star or 2 Star caliber recruits.

What the hell is your point? The conversation was about one-and-dones. The fact remains that ONE (1) (uno) (un) program EVER was led to a championship by a one-and-done freshman. Good job entirely ignoring the point of the discussion and foisting your Rivals-induced boner on everyone for the 802nd time.

What the hell is your point? The conversation was about one-and-dones. The fact remains that ONE (1) (uno) (un) program EVER was led to a championship by a one-and-done freshman. Good job entirely ignoring the point of the discussion and foisting your Rivals-induced boner on everyone for the 802nd time.

+infinity.

pass it around for 25 seconds, dish it to westy in the iso, let him get his own shot at the buzzer swish. that offense?

Great job of being a Gopher fan??? First, you and your likes bash the players and now move into making fun of our coaching style. Why don't we close the basketball program since we have no players or good coaches.

Please remember, players do read these posts every once a while so stop damaging their confidence with these stupid posts. We need a supportive fan base in order to win the B10 and make a good run in March.

Remember: basketball is the game of confidence.

Go Gophers

yea ok, thats why i always defend al, hype mbakwe, hype devoe and rodney, but thats fine you're entitled to your opinion. that was just my observation from the games i went to, when we can't find anything, they get the ball to westy and he makes stuff happen. nuff said

Please remember, players do read these posts every once a while so stop damaging their confidence with these stupid posts. We need a supportive fan base in order to win the B10 and make a good run in March.

And them some!! Encouragement and support are the best contributions that a fan can give to a team. Leave the harsh criitism and negative motivation to the coaching staff and other players. They can better sense when it will be most effective.

These are young men who we have a chance to encourage or deflate. I hope that the coaching staff and some of the older players know that we are pretty much FOS and they are able to discount our opinions appropriately.

Great job of being a Gopher fan??? First, you and your likes bash the players and now move into making fun of our coaching style. Why don't we close the basketball program since we have no players or good coaches.

Go Gophers

If any of the players read these posts and get offended, then I will seriously question their manhood. I find it ridiculous that you are worried about hurting the players' feelings with "mean" posts. Get real buddy. Most of the people on here (myself included) are just basketball dweebs who completely understand that every Division I basketball player is 1,000 times better at the game than they will ever be, or ever were.

The 1998 UK Wildcats had (1) 5 Star recruit and several 4 Star recruits but MOSTLY 3 Star or 2 Star caliber recruits.

A team with one 5 star and several 4 star players should succeed. That's not a Cinderella story at all...
I think its become clear that Tubby Smith is not tracking down the top-tier 4/5-star recruits, but rather concentrating on inking solid 3-star players that fit his system. Its smart, Minnesota simply does not attract as many top-level prospects as many high-level programs.

A team with one 5 star and several 4 star players should succeed. That's not a Cinderella story at all...
I think its become clear that Tubby Smith is not tracking down the top-tier 4/5-star recruits, but rather concentrating on inking solid 3-star players that fit his system. Its smart, Minnesota simply does not attract as many top-level prospects as many high-level programs.

Baloney. 100% pure, unadulterated BS.

The 2008 class had two 4 Star recruits. The 2009 class had one 5 Star and two 4 Star recruits.

Very few teams with NCAA title going 35-4 with one 5 Star and a few 4 Star players.

I'm not always on the same page as BGF. You know? On this issue I'm more than fine with it.

If any of the players read these posts and get offended, then I will seriously question their manhood. I find it ridiculous that you are worried about hurting the players' feelings with "mean" posts. Get real buddy. Most of the people on here (myself included) are just basketball dweebs who completely understand that every Division I basketball player is 1,000 times better at the game than they will ever be, or ever were.

Mean posts??? Hurting players' feelings??? I have a feeling that you were out of it when you posted this stupid post. Imagin you are one of these young people who has been recruited by a great school with a great coach. How would you feel if some of the fans make fun of you and your credentials without even seeing you playing for 1 minute?

Lets give these guys a chance and give them a warm welcome. If they don't deliver like Justine, then start your critical posts. I am a sientist so I only trust the data that comes out of my experiments 1st. If I have no way of doing that experiment, then I would rely on other sources. For now, I support our players and boost their confidence until I am proven wrong.

Meawhile, you can sit behind your keyboard and bash these player as much as you want. It woun't be productive.

Go Gophers

Top Bottom