Season Opener

Considering the fact that we're favored to win?...umm...yea...we do expect to win. BTW, you remind me of a Southern Miss fan. You think your team is unstoppable against "little ole" MTSU. Just watch the highlights from the New Orleans Bowl last year and what we did to that team. But please underestimate us! Every team that has underestimated us and thought that they could just run over us, we've beaten.

"Unstoppable"? Nobody who watched the Gophers on Offense last year thinks of them as unstoppable. The last 20 years of games against San Jose State, San Diego State, Hawaii, Arkansas State, Houston, Ohio University, Toledo, Florida Atlantic and a couple of Dakota schools tells all true Gopher fans, Coaches and players not to take ANYBODY lightly, particularly any team coming off a Bowl win.

Ironically enough, the feeling Nationally seems to be that the Gophers will be lucky to win three games and the one at MTSU isn't going to be one of them. Most of us hope that won't be the case - but we're not going to be crowing about it before hand.

The vast majority of your fans who have come around here seem like very decent people. I hope you get to enjoy an 11 game wining streak, starting with your second game of the season of course!:drink:

I hope the Gophers have an incredible year or have one that disastrous. I hope there is no in between. It's time that Brewster starts taking us to the next level or it's time to find someone else. Mike Hohensee would be my first choice as our next replacement. He won the Championship one year in Arena football and that is a LOT harder to do then winning the BSC National Championship.

New Coach?

I'm just curious because I don't know any Gopher fans but just from reading posts on here, the fans seem indecisive about Brewster. Do you guys want him gone? Or do you just want to keep him until he gets fired and maybe plays himself out? Some seem like they want him gone now while others are willing to give him a chance. I was just curious.

I hope the Gophers have an incredible year or have one that disastrous. I hope there is no in between. It's time that Brewster starts taking us to the next level or it's time to find someone else. Mike Hohensee would be my first choice as our next replacement. He won the Championship one year in Arena football and that is a LOT harder to do then winning the BSC National Championship.

You have to be a bit. I mean...you just have to be. Nothing in your post is even remotely correct. Seriously, not one thing.

I'm just curious because I don't know any Gopher fans but just from reading posts on here, the fans seem indecisive about Brewster. Do you guys want him gone? Or do you just want to keep him until he gets fired and maybe plays himself out? Some seem like they want him gone now while others are willing to give him a chance. I was just curious.

That's exactly right; some want him gone now, others want to give him a chance to use the players he's recruited. That would mean this year and or next.

There are also a whole bunch of Iowa and Wisconsin trolls and fanatical followers of the old coach(Masonites) who just want to stir-up trouble.

Just use the drop down under their moniker to read "all posts by". that makes it pretty easy to see who is who.

My favorite is a Wisconsin poster who state that he "doesn't care about anything that happened before" he was in school. That was about four years ago. :eek:He's always good for two or three nonsensical posts a week!:clap:

I hope the Gophers have an incredible year or have one that disastrous. I hope there is no in between. It's time that Brewster starts taking us to the next level or it's time to find someone else.

Gopher fans never want the Gophers to lose. If you're rooting for the Gophers to lose, you can check your Gopher fandom at the front door.

Mike Hohensee would be my first choice as our next replacement. He won the Championship one year in Arena football and that is a LOT harder to do then winning the BSC National Championship.

Why not get Tom Kelly to coach the Gophers. After all, he won TWO world series. Sure, it's a different sport, but Arena Football only has a superficial resemblance to football.

And it's MUCH EASIER to win a championship in Arena football than the BCS national championship. There are 120 teams in I-A college football that are competing for that National Championship. There are only a handful of Arena football teams. That means it is about 10 times easier to win an Arena football championship.

Again, Arena football only has a superficial resemblance to football. Canadian Football is FAR more similar than is Arena Football.

I'm hoping they will let the RaiderWalk happen since it is a school day. 2 years ago, professors complained about the noise during class and they couldn't have it. Yea...I know...Pathetic.

Reminds me of our Thursday night opener at Toledo in 2001 (I can't believe it's been nine years already....damn). We got to the "tailgate lots" around midday while classes were still in session, so we're wandering through buildings with beers in hand (they hadn't set up the portalets yet so we needed to find a restroom), and I'm sure we were a distraction for the classes going on.

We also opened the 2006 season on a Thursday night at Kent State (another time where we were their first visitor from the Big Ten) and they went the opposite direction - they didn't allow tailgating until that game, but folks were so jacked up for a B10 opponent that they changed their minds. Final score, BTW: Gophers 44, Kent State 0. (Let's not talk about the Toledo result).

In response to the latest posts. I think Minnesota fans are way too lenient when it comes to their head football coach. When Mase was coach here I think myself and maybe two other people on this board felt it was time for him to go his last couple years.

Now with Brewster I'm starting to see the same pattern on this board. I see people starting to become apologists for another mediocre year even before it started. I always felt by year four we needed to start seeing improvement over the previous coach. If we are stuck in mediocrity again for this year, it will bye Brewster another couple years with Minnesota fans.

I want Brewster to do well but I see Minnesota fans being very forgiving. The only way I see the posters on this site and other sites turning against Brewster is if we only win 3 or less games this year.

Sorry for the mistake, it will buy Brewster another couple years. The other bye is not going to happen unless we win very few games this year.

I see people starting to become apologists for another mediocre year even before it started.

It's not being apologists. It's simply continuing to be fans of the Gophers even if it isn't a good year.

Let's remember that Toledo team had Chester Taylor running the ball.

Mason had almost 10 years to get it done, some are calling for Brews head after 3. No comparison between the two. Minnesota can't afford (in wins and losses) to have a coaching revolving door every couple of years. Anyone with a brain can see the pieces being put in place that Brew envisioned from day 1.

Bama is the worst. We played them in Tuscaloosa my freshman year, when I danced for MTSU. Of course the cheerleaders and dance team walked in together and we had to have an army of police officers around us at all times. We were called every name in the book, spit on, and had glass beer bottles thrown at us. Believe me, I know what you mean about Bama fans.

87665dude-wtf-posters1z.jpg

GoGophers2005
Your post makes way to much sense, I doubt if most people on this board can comprehend your rational train of thought.
Go Gophers!

Reminds me of our Thursday night opener at Toledo in 2001 (I can't believe it's been nine years already....damn). We got to the "tailgate lots" around midday while classes were still in session, so we're wandering through buildings with beers in hand (they hadn't set up the portalets yet so we needed to find a restroom), and I'm sure we were a distraction for the classes going on.

We also opened the 2006 season on a Thursday night at Kent State (another time where we were their first visitor from the Big Ten) and they went the opposite direction - they didn't allow tailgating until that game, but folks were so jacked up for a B10 opponent that they changed their minds. Final score, BTW: Gophers 44, Kent State 0. (Let's not talk about the Toledo result).

Tailgating isn't really all that different on school days, aside from the students walking around campus. I just graduated in May, so this will be my first season as an alum, but when I was in school we pretty much had at least one Tuesday or Thursday home game every year, so I always made sure I was done with my tues/thurs classes by noon so I'd still have plenty of time to tailgate. I always loved walking around campus with a beer on my hand while other students were going to class.

If you tailgate in the lot that they usually put visitors in, you won't see too many students and there won't be any students(other than tailgaters) over at RV row as the lot will be closed to students and it's not near any campus buildings. Peck forest is pretty much smack dab in the middle of campus, so there will be plenty of students passing by for classes.

While I'm thinking about tailgating, I should let you all know that MT is a dry campus(gotta love being in the Bible belt) but they turn a blind eye on gameday. That being said, you can still get in trouble for drinking on campus, but it will only happen if you're being an idiot about it and attracting attention to yourself. It's pretty much an accepted rule that if you put it in a cup, you'll be fine.

Great bit from Bruce Feldman on strength of schedule and getting a big opponent on your schedule first.

Virginia Tech Hokies coach Frank Beamer, a guy who has played more than his share of hefty opening-week games, told me that he believes his team will be a better team for having that kind of test right out of the gate. The reason? Beamer said the spectre of such an opponent brings his team's focus to a different level in spring football, off-season drills and conditioning and then in fall camp. In the case of this year's Hokies' team, the challenge of playing the Boise State Broncos (ranked in the top-five in the first coaches' poll) on September 6 is a constant.

Also, losing the first game doesn't necessarily spoil your title hopes, underscoring the old adage, that if you're going to lose, lose early. When Va. Tech played the Alabama Crimson Tide in their kickoff game, they lost. A few weeks later? They were No. 4 in the country.

Not that the Gophs have to worry about national title hopes, but getting to a Jan. 1 bowl game would be a nice step. Heck, I'd take the Alamo New Year's Eve game right now... although I think it's now the Insight or Gator Bowl?

Am I drinking too much kool-aide because I'm getting excited to see what we've got on 8/21.

I'm sorry. Did I confuse you on that? I am a chick, if you've been too ignorant to tell and yes, I danced for MTSU for 4 years and traveled with football and basketball. So my response to your post is.. "Dude. WTF?!"

Are you hot? And can you post some pics??

That would be great.

I'm sorry. Did I confuse you on that? I am a chick, if you've been too ignorant to tell and yes, I danced for MTSU for 4 years and traveled with football and basketball. So my response to your post is.. "Dude. WTF?!"

Are you REALLY a chick? Or do you just pretend to be one on the internet? I know a guy that got burned on that one once.

Are you REALLY a chick? Or do you just pretend to be one on the internet? I know a guy that got burned on that one once.

Umm... I'm positive that I'm a chick. Born one, stayed one, but not into them. I'm on the ESPN site too and my picture and profile is listed on there if you want proof. Screenname on there is dance4mtsu.

It depends on where you want to park and where you want to tailgate.

2268538880078979489S500x500Q85.jpg

The major parking area #1 on the map is I believe strictly reserved for members of the BRAA.

The two major tailgating areas are #2 and #3

#2 is "RV Row" and being next to the BRAA parking lot, it is where the majority of BRAA members tailgate. This is a bit of an older crowd, but there are still some pretty rowdy tailgates over here. It is a pretty large tailgating area and if you get there fairly early, you should be able to park in #6(there are two #6's on this map, I'm referring to the one just to the left of #2) I think they'll charge you $5 to park there, but you can park there and you'll just have to go across one crosswalk to set up in that big field.

#3 is "Peck Forrest"(named for being right outside of Peck hall) If you look very closely, just above the #3 is a small square building(Peck hall) and just below the #3 is a small rectangular building(Cope admin building) and you should clearly notice an ovular road enclosing the entire area. Within the rectangle created between the two buildings and the road looping around is where the majority of students tailgate. There are some alumni who tailgate in this vicinity, just outside the rectangle, but within those four sides is pretty much all students and occasionally there will be visiting fans tailgating within the area, but I wouldn't set up to close to the students, but definitely go over and check the area out at some point. The "Raider Walk" goes right through this area. If you want to tailgate anywhere in this vicinity, you should try to park in #5 there's also a smaller lot an inch or so below #5 that you may be able to park in.

The other #6(towards the upper right hand corner of the map) is generally where the majority of visitor's park and tailgate and if anyone from your athletic department or alumni association organizes a big tailgate event, that is likely where it will be. Parking and tailgating there is probably your best bet as you'll be with all your fellow gophers and you're about a s short walk away from RV row if you want to come over and check it out and maybe mix it up with Blue Raider fans and you're probably about a ten minute walk or so from Peck Forrest if you want to check that out.

After typing all that it occurred to me that this game is being played on a school day. They'll definitely have the BRAA lot closed off from students, but I'm not sure what other lots they'll have closed off. I would imagine that "the other #6" where visitors usually get together will be closed, but with students being on campus in other lots, I imagine there will be more home fans parking there as well. At this point, I would say that this will probably be your best bet at finding a spot without too much hassle, but I will come back and update you on that in a few weeks. I'm a new alumni and currently back living at home in GA, but hoping to move back to Murfreesboro right before this game, either way I'll be there a day or two early and get the scoop on the parking situation for any Gopher fans making the trip.

Thanks for the info and hospitality. Looking forward to watching the game in Murfreesboro.

Great post PiKapp. I'm hoping they will let the RaiderWalk happen since it is a school day. 2 years ago, professors complained about the noise during class and they couldn't have it. Yea...I know...Pathetic. For the visitors with kids, Peck Forrest would be a great place to go because they have inflatables and some games that will keep the kids entertained. Just to be safe, if you are tailgating, I would recommend getting there 3 hours early. That way you can find parking, walk around, relax awhile, get in the stadium for pregame or so you have enough time to get food, etc. I'm planning to definitely be there by 5 but of course, I work until 4 or 430. It is a great atmosphere and I've never heard of any MT fans being mean to opponents while tailgating. We know you're not from around there and most people will be more than happy to help with any questions, directions, etc you might need. I'm sure PiKapp will keep you updated and I can too. I actually know a few marketing people and will contact them just to see what lots will be open and if they have anything planned in a certain area for Minnesota. If I hear anything as well, I will let y'all know.

And thanks to you, too, Dance4raiders, for the info. Always nice to get some scoop from the locals. We're looking forward to the trip and hope our 12-year-old son's first road trip will be good all the way around.

Umm... I'm positive that I'm a chick. Born one, stayed one, but not into them. I'm on the ESPN site too and my picture and profile is listed on there if you want proof. Screenname on there is dance4mtsu.

I have a shiny Sacajawea dollar that says you are really Chris Hanson from NBC's Dateline.

LOL!!!! Dance4raiders, they just aren't used to us chicks posting on the boards. Girl Power.

Go Gophers!

LOL!!!! Dance4raiders, they just aren't used to us chicks posting on the boards. Girl Power.

Go Gophers!

I agree. Guys freak to see that a girl knows so much about football! Anyway, why I think this game will be good and close:

1. MT passing yards from 2009 overall= 42nd (235.7 yds)
Minny overall= 76th (207.0 yds.)
2. MT rushing yards from 2009 overall=26th (186.0 yds)
Minny overall= 111th (99.5)
3. MT points for 2009 overall= 23rd (32.0)
Minny overall= 100th (20.9)
4. MT points against 2009 overall= 49th (23.7)
Minny overall= 51st (23.8)

Obviously, when it comes to rushing the ball, MT may stomp Minnesota with that. And points for, as well. But both teams really aren't that different with passing yards and points against. I'm actually anxious to see if Dasher will pass more this year and try to expand his QB talent or if he will stick to rushing, which he tends to be awesome at. I know at the Spring Game, what little Dasher played, he did pass more. I also think his passing has improved. At least in April, he seemed to be more accurate. I just can't wait for September 2. I think it's going to be a great game and I know a ton of MT fans are going to be pumped!

And thanks to you, too, Dance4raiders, for the info. Always nice to get some scoop from the locals. We're looking forward to the trip and hope our 12-year-old son's first road trip will be good all the way around.

You're more than welcome! MTPiKapp and I will update you on anything as soon as we can and I hope you and your family have a safe trip to the Boro.

I agree. Guys freak to see that a girl knows so much about football! Anyway, why I think this game will be good and close:

Obviously, when it comes to rushing the ball, MT may stomp Minnesota with that. And points for, as well. But both teams really aren't that different with passing yards and points against. I'm actually anxious to see if Dasher will pass more this year and try to expand his QB talent or if he will stick to rushing, which he tends to be awesome at. I know at the Spring Game, what little Dasher played, he did pass more. I also think his passing has improved. At least in April, he seemed to be more accurate. I just can't wait for September 2. I think it's going to be a great game and I know a ton of MT fans are going to be pumped!

You can't even compare overall stats without factoring in strength of schedule. No doubt it will be a great game, but those spreads in overall stats are meaningless.

How would you handicap those compairsons given the Sarigan rankings listed earlier in this thread? It feels like comparing track times where MTSU had the wind at its back and the U had the wind in its face.

Top Bottom