Shake up in WI football coaching staff?

Plato

Banned
Reaction score
Potrykus, the Milwaukee newspaper beat writer for WI football has Rudolph, the current offensive line coach, going to Virginia Tech.
Rudolph is thought to be a good recruiter but a poor coach by some Wisconsin fans.
He has been with Chryst for at least a decade.
He was demoted from being OC and OL coach last year and this year the OL underperformed and also this year one highly sought after OL prospect from Wisconsin is going to Notre Dame and another is likely going to tOSU.
Buckyville is buzzing over this and some hope for Bostad, the former OL coach when WI sent many OL to the NFL, to return to that job.

Potrykus, the Milwaukee newspaper beat writer for WI football has Rudolph, the current offensive line coach, going to Virginia Tech.
Rudolph is thought to be a good recruiter but a poor coach by some Wisconsin fans.
He has been with Chryst for at least a decade.
He was demoted from being OC and OL coach last year and this year the OL underperformed and also this year one highly sought after OL prospect from Wisconsin is going to Notre Dame and another is likely going to tOSU.
Buckyville is buzzing over this and some hope for Bostad, the former OL coach when WI sent many OL to the NFL, to return to that job.
They are in a weird spot. Paul Chryst has done a good enough job to avoid any hot seat but I think every Badger fans hopes Jim Leonhard is the next coach (soon). As a Gopher fan, I'd love for them to keep Chryst. In my opinion, everyone involved knows it too. So it's kind of an uncomfortable coaching staff.

They are in a weird spot. Paul Chryst has done a good enough job to avoid any hot seat but I think every Badger fans hopes Jim Leonhard is the next coach (soon). As a Gopher fan, I'd love for them to keep Chryst. In my opinion, everyone involved knows it too. So it's kind of an uncomfortable coaching staff.
I agree, I see Chryst as a good not great coach who won't elevate their program and is mostly trending down. PJ outcoached the crap out of him a few weeks ago.

I do find it funny the clamoring for Leaonhard to take over, as it's pretty much a repeat of what people in WI wanted when Beilema was HC and Chryst was OC. That said it does seem like Leonhard will make a good head coach some day.

I agree, I see Chryst as a good not great coach who won't elevate their program and is mostly trending down. PJ outcoached the crap out of him a few weeks ago.

I do find it funny the clamoring for Leaonhard to take over, as it's pretty much a repeat of what people in WI wanted when Beilema was HC and Chryst was OC. That said it does seem like Leonhard will make a good head coach some day.
What's interesting about the noise surrounding Leonhard is that it would be a split from the traditional offensive-minded HC and program ideology.

They are typically quite smug with the "We are the Badgers, this is the way we do football, this is our identity." When they do indeed call for change, it's usually a call for them to return to their bread and butter of NFL running attack.

The fact that Badger-land is panicking and calling for a former d-back/DC to be named as HC makes me a bit intrigued.

I do think they are still going insane over their loss to us. They were probably so excited seeing OSU lose and thought they would have a chance to beat Michigan. I love the idea that we are making their fanbase implode, calling for Chryst's head.

What's interesting about the noise surrounding Leonhard is that it would be a split from the traditional offensive-minded HC and program ideology.

I'm not sure about. Alvarez and Bielema were both defensive guys when they got hired. Leonhard would be a return to that.

I'm not sure about. Alvarez and Bielema were both defensive guys when they got hired. Leonhard would be a return to that.
And it's not like Leonhard hasn't been around the "formula" for long enough. I'm sure he knows what's worked there in the past.

Also got to be strange for Badger fans to see the QB (Coan) they rejected transfer to and win the job—and do very well—at Notre Dame, while the young “star” they traded Coan away for has been spotty at best.

Probably the right move but a little ominous that after Chryst took over…. it didn’t get better.

You're right. I don't know why why I thought Bielema was an OL coach. Maybe it's the gut

Yeah.
And it is also awkward that many wisconsin fans would trade coaches with Illinois straight up

Alvarez was exactly .500 in the big ten his last 6 years at wisconsin.

Wisconsin didn’t really become an every year contender until Beilema
My comment was about him as an AD.

My comment was about him as an AD.
Ah. Yeah. Great program builder: and rumors I’ve heard is he left because he didn’t get along too well with the non athletics people at the school anymore

Alvarez won't be around a hundred years from now. They have to forge their path moving forward without his influence.

Donna Shalala and Barry Alvarez did a remarkable job turning Badger Athletics around.

He got to name his successor. This should tell all you need to know about BA and WI. Person of color need not apply.

He got to name his successor. This should tell all you need to know about BA and WI. Person of color need not apply.
I have mixed feelings about being able to select their successor. For the most part I think that its arrogant of people to think that they get to do that. Just scored some free tickets to the Wisconsin bowl game, will be attending with a Badger co-worker. I prefer Big 10 teams to win bowl games, but I just cannot root for Wisconsin.

I'll bet he sticks his opinion in there every now and then.
Maybe but he also said that Cryst was going to be the last guy he would hire.

I got the feeling he wanted to be done as AD, and maybe just go home.

Alvarez had a good run, wanted to retire and in essence picked a protege as his successor despite the facade of a search committee.
Chryst when he was the OC for Alvarez and BB was thought, for the times, to be a genius and was much sought after to be a HC.
He always replied that he liked being an OC and wanted nothing to do with the glad handing and public appearances that went with the job as a HC.
Now he is a HC and an OC and there is a consensus ,only among fans, that WI needs some new ideas on offense and a new OC.
My feeling is that the OL's poor performance the last few years hindered play calling yet Chryst refused to replace Rudolph who was demoted from OC and took a pay cut.
Rudolph will never be HC at WI and should take the OC job with the Hoakies.

What color is Barry ?
Alvarez's grandparents came from Spain. Some people would consider that a person of color, some wouldn't. Sometimes Spanish get lumped in with Latinos, sometimes they don't. Most do consider them Hispanic.

Ah. Yeah. Great program builder: and rumors I’ve heard is he left because he didn’t get along too well with the non athletics people at the school anymore
Ah, no. 31 years at Wisc and 74 years old. He retired because he wanted to retire. Got a nice lump sum at retirement as well.

Number of minorities on the UW staff: 10 Minn:7
Alvarez is a person of color too of course
Of the main set of coaches (not analysts, low-level positions) there are 2 coaches of color on each staff.

Top Bottom