Regis decommits. Anyone know why?

'cruits should have the ability to sign anytime during their senior year. That way the school knows the kid is coming, and the kid knows the school won't pull the scholly at the last minute. You offer, they sign, it's a deal.

Oh please, quit acting like yesteryear so much better

he's a 17 year old kid deciding his future. let it go.

Do you get pissy at the recruits that had committed elsewhere but later changed their mind to the gophers? IE, Do you think Tanner Morgan is disrespectful punk? Or for that matter PJ Fleck for signing WMU extension but bolting shortly after for more money from MN? I was never a big LM fan after he changed his commitment for here from Illinois. Because we knew why.

Fleck's contract clearly specified the conditions for him to leave. We had no contract with Regis other than his word, his commitment. Don't give your word unless you mean it, otherwise, guess what? You become known as a liar.

Exactly, and that ain't what it used to be. My point exactly. "A man is only as good as his word."

Lol. Settle down grumpy. As others said....this is a big decision and he's just a kid.

Plus....it's early in the recruiting cycle. It's not as though he's hanging Fleck out to dry with this decision. Plenty of time to fill his scholarship if he decides he doesn't want it. And as it is....we are already nearly full up.

Fleck's contract clearly specified the conditions for him to leave. We had no contract with Regis other than his word, his commitment. Don't give your word unless you mean it, otherwise, guess what? You become known as a liar.
As MplsGopher said earlier, this is just people getting hung up on the word "commitment". There is no contract, verbal or otherwise, that binds kids to schools at this point in the process. If there was a better word to use for the term, maybe people wouldn't get so red in the face.

Not that simple. He told someone he was going to buy a ford, changed his mind and decided he wanted a chevy. Not a lie.

He had a financial buyout. A bit different

What about players that followed him? Or other commits we've flipped over the years

I don't think you know what liar means

I heard a rumour his family stands and cheers during game, we're better off. We don't need hooligans joining the team

As MplsGopher said earlier, this is just people getting hung up on the word "commitment". There is no contract, verbal or otherwise, that binds kids to schools at this point in the process. If there was a better word to use for the term, maybe people wouldn't get so red in the face.

I was raised, apparently, in a different era. I do not know why you are getting "red in the face" over this.

Stop trying to act like they are a 12 year old kid that can't make up their mind of what flavor tootsie roll they want. A 17 or 18 year old is fully capable capable of making a decision and being held accountable. There is a reason why there is a difference between a verbal and a written commitment. The verbal still gives them time to really make sure, we do not want any players who does not want to be here.

A 17 or 18 year old can enlist in the armed services and go fight our wars, they will be held accountable if they commit a crime, they can get married (I did at 18), etc.

Of course it is a hard decision, but so are many other things that you have to do in life. Live is made up of living with your decisions and understanding the consequences. People are counting on them to live up to their word of playing hard, going to class, giving their all, working out, staying out of trouble, etc... It is more than just saying they are going to a specific school.

I never committed to something until I was sure I wanted to do it. I thought that was what the word "committed" meant.
Most of us were not that perfect then or now so we can understand someone changing their mind.

Stop trying to act like they are a 12 year old kid that can't make up their mind of what flavor tootsie roll they want. A 17 or 18 year old is fully capable capable of making a decision and being held accountable. There is a reason why there is a difference between a verbal and a written commitment. The verbal still gives them time to really make sure, we do not want any players who does not want to be here.

A 17 or 18 year old can enlist in the armed services and go fight our wars, they will be held accountable if they commit a crime, they can get married (I did at 18), etc.

Of course it is a hard decision, but so are many other things that you have to do in life. Live is made up of living with your decisions and understanding the consequences. People are counting on them to live up to their word of playing hard, going to class, giving their all, working out, staying out of trouble, etc... It is more than just saying they are going to a specific school.
May I ask if you are still married? I married my high school sweetheart at 20 and we have now been married 22 years.

Back in MY day, we didn't have your fancy little Frootie flavored Tootsies! We had ONE kind! It was kinda like a waxy-chocolate flavor that yanked teeth out of kids heads and we LOVED it! 1590584767496.png

Was curious to see how this thread had made it to 3 pages, then I realized it was a Veritas thread so there are at least another 10 pages to go.

But really....are some people that confused about how recruiting works? While we would all love for a verbal commitment to be binding, it isn't, and recruits are kids so they change their mind about things easier then an adult might. Decommits happen, it is what it is, and not worth getting riled up about it. It sucks but Regis isn't the first and he won't be the last, and along the way there is a good chance we will get multiple guys to decommit from somewhere else and come play here as well.

The word committment is entirely wrong for this action. A much better word would be intention. A recruit that "commits" today, really means they intend to commit in writing at the signing date. Regis "intended" to commit to MN, but for some reason his intentions changed. Thus he isn't a liar or backing out on a commitment, merely changing his mind... WTFCA....

We don't know why you are.

I made a comment which reflected my opinion based on my values. Apparently that touched off your guilt over your lack of values in your life. Look how you and others have gotten all hyped over my single post reflecting a common view "that a man's word is his bond."

May I ask if you are still married? I married my high school sweetheart at 20 and we have now been married 22 years.
Good for you, but this is just one valid option. It has zero moral superiority, over any of the other valid options. Not that you claimed it did. I'm just stating that, for correctness.

I was raised, apparently, in a different era. I do not know why you are getting "red in the face" over this.
old.jpg

Most of us were not that perfect then or now so we can understand someone changing their mind.

"Today I should wear blue. No, I have changed my mind, today I shall wear green."
That is "someone changing their mind". That is not what making a commitment is about. Making a commitment is a verbal contract to do something in exchange for something of importance.

Was curious to see how this thread had made it to 3 pages, then I realized it was a Veritas thread so there are at least another 10 pages to go.

But really....are some people that confused about how recruiting works? While we would all love for a verbal commitment to be binding, it isn't, and recruits are kids so they change their mind about things easier then an adult might. Decommits happen, it is what it is, and not worth getting riled up about it. It sucks but Regis isn't the first and he won't be the last, and along the way there is a good chance we will get multiple guys to decommit from somewhere else and come play here as well.
People have also suggested that kids should be able to sign on the dotted line at any time, earlier in the process, as a way to prevent decommitments.

But that wouldn't work.

Kids would simply refuse to sign, until they got near the end. And if Fleck wanted to say "you gotta sign now, or else the offer is pulled", go for it. But he can essentially do that today. He can say "we need a firm commitment from you today, or else the offer is pulled". It's really no different. Some kids will give in, but others won't.

Again, who got riled up? He decommitted, someone commented that his actions reflected poorly on him, someone else said it was absolutely no big deal that person breaks his breaking his commitment and then I dared to state my view that a "man's word is his bond". 90% of what followed is other people going ape over my daring to reflect negatively on their poor life values. Of course Regis is a free man in a free country, and I am entitled to call him out on his poor values reflected in his decision. Now you can express your view if you want. Suit yourself.

Again, who got riled up? He decommitted, someone commented that his actions reflected poorly on him, someone else said it was absolutely no big deal that person breaks his breaking his commitment and then I dared to state my view that a "man's word is his bond". 90% of what followed is other people going ape over my daring to reflect negatively on their poor life values. Of course Regis is a free man in a free country, and I am entitled to call him out on his poor values reflected in his decision. Now you can express your view if you want. Suit yourself.
old.jpg

Top Bottom