All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

I went to grad school at IU...loved every minute of my 4 years there, Bloomington is an amazing college town. I've been away for over 4 years now and still miss it. Games in Assembly Hall are second to none. Easy to rip on Bloomington, but after spending time there I would 100% make the decision to go there again if I could.

I certainly hope Garcia chooses Minnesota, but I wouldn't blame him if he chooses IU.

I went to grad school at IU...loved every minute of my 4 years there, Bloomington is an amazing college town. I've been away for over 4 years now and still miss it. Games in Assembly Hall are second to none. Easy to rip on Bloomington, but after spending time there I would 100% make the decision to go there again if I could.

I certainly hope Garcia chooses Minnesota, but I wouldn't blame him if he chooses IU.

Right, as another poster I think made the apt comparison: Indiana to major college basketball is like Nebraska to major college football.

Meaning that, they still WANT to be a national contender, they're willing to spend to do that, and they still get sold out, huge crowds of support hoping that one day they'll return to that.

I rip Nebraska football as much as anyone, but I can't deny that they're simply the right coach away from returning to the national top 10. Indiana could be the same. That history and potential, along with playing time, is absolutely what they will full-press sell to Garcia.

I think for an 18 year-old young man, that type of sales pitch is just too tough to resist.

But again, I've been wrong plenty of times before, and if he doesn't cancel the trip then hopefully I'll be wrong again.

I rip Nebraska football as much as anyone, but I can't deny that they're simply the right coach away from returning to the national top 10. Indiana could be the same. That history and potential, along with playing time, is absolutely what they will full-press sell to Garcia.

I think for an 18 year-old young man, that type of sales pitch is just too tough to resist.

But again, I've been wrong plenty of times before, and if he doesn't cancel the trip then hopefully I'll be wrong again.

Minnesota has a way better training facility. The Twin Cities is his home.

As far as on the court, Garcia will not be a 4-year college player. The idea Indiana will get a program-changing coach within the next 3 years is pretty fantastical. I'm sure Garcia wants to win, but it's not like Indiana is going to become a Top 10 program overnight, no matter its history. Garcia is just as likely to make the Sweet16 with Minnesota as he would at Indiana.

I think playing at the Barn in front of a sold-out crowd would be far more rewarding for Garcia than anything else. But, hey, i've been wrong plenty of times before.

Right, as another poster I think made the apt comparison: Indiana to major college basketball is like Nebraska to major college football.

Meaning that, they still WANT to be a national contender, they're willing to spend to do that, and they still get sold out, huge crowds of support hoping that one day they'll return to that.

Indiana is a college town and basketball is number one, so they have a good tradition of attendance (not much else to do). But playing basketball most anywhere in the B1G gives a similar atmosphere. The B1G has led the country for the last 43 years in attendance, so you are playing in front of large crowds every night! Every year Indiana is getting farther removed from the old "glory days", so basically any program in the B1G could become a national top 10 program. Most of these 18 yo recruits do not really know about coach Knight.

I think Nebraska is in the same boat. Both programs still carry a little of the old national recognition, but not enough to keep them in the blue blood club. Look at this year's Nebraska team, too many of the old national forecasters had them winning big based upon nothing but ancient history.

Indiana is a college town and basketball is number one, so they have a good tradition of attendance (not much else to do). But playing basketball most anywhere in the B1G gives a similar atmosphere. The B1G has led the country for the last 43 years in attendance, so you are playing in front of large crowds every night! Every year Indiana is getting farther removed from the old "glory days", so basically any program in the B1G could become a national top 10 program. Most of these 18 yo recruits do not really know about coach Knight.

I think Nebraska is in the same boat. Both programs still carry a little of the old national recognition, but not enough to keep them in the blue blood club. Look at this year's Nebraska team, too many of the old national forecasters had them winning big based upon nothing but ancient history.

Any program can do it but it requires having a tremendous coach to become a top 10 national program.

BTN interviewed Ayo Dosunmu, who stated he went to Illinois because he wanted to represent his state and he was close to his family and wanted them to be able to come to his games. I hope the same factors will influence Dawson.

Race Thompson has not been successful at Indiana, of course injuries have been a factor.

Bloomington, Indiana is a nice little town.

Could go either way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bloomington IN is a great college town and the Campus is very impressive.

Despite Bobby Knight era history, Assembly Hall is not all that great and they probably should have built something new in the giant parking lot next to it and then torn it down rather than spend more money trying to fix it.

I still think Miller is a very good coach, and I can see why players pick Indiana. I'd certainly pick it over Wisconsin for certain and several other Big Ten programs.

Gophers make more sense for Garcia. Fingers crossed.

I went to undergrad at Purdue and the weather was terrible -- snow would turn to slush during the day, freeze into ice at night, and repeat, every day, all winter. You'd either be walking in slush or slipping on ice. Give me warm weather all the time, or cold enough weather to have snow on the ground. Indiana has neither.

Its not the winter where Minnesota loses the weather contest; its spring and fall. As in, they don't exist.

Its not the winter where Minnesota loses the weather contest; its spring and fall. As in, they don't exist.

Fall is wonderful in MN. Spring I would agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do players pick Minnesota based on weather ? I would think it rates far down the list for most players at most places.

Do players pick Minnesota based on weather ? I would think it rates far down the list for most players at most places.

I’m not saying weather is paramount but when competing with California, Florida, Arizona...I’d guess it is a possible swing factor. Indiana, Illinois, New York, Ohio, Michigan etc sure seems like it would be a non factor to me too.

I’m not saying weather is paramount but when competing with California, Florida, Arizona...I’d guess it is a possible swing factor. Indiana, Illinois, New York, Ohio, Michigan etc sure seems like it would be a non factor to me too.

We might as well throw in the towel now.... we will never get another player....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mean, basketball is an indoor sport .... these guys have spent half of their lives inside a gym.

Nonetheless, better believe the other coaching staffs that are recruiting against us are constantly telling them things like "you're gonna freeze in mid-air when step off that plane!"

I can report that I crossed paths with Dawson while I was out walking my dog this morning. He’s a legit 6’9” or 6’10” and he looked half asleep so I didn’t think he would appreciate a suggestion from a stranger that he sign with the gophers. However, I was wearing gopher gear so I’m going to take some credit if he commits for my excellent subliminal messaging. [emoji1]

I can report that I crossed paths with Dawson while I was out walking my dog this morning. He’s a legit 6’9” or 6’10” and he looked half asleep so I didn’t think he would appreciate a suggestion from a stranger that he sign with the gophers. However, I was wearing gopher gear so I’m going to take some credit if he commits for my excellent subliminal messaging. [emoji1]

I'll take credit for TPing your house when he signs elsewhere. :cool:

I agree it should be a very minor consideration here. Relationship and comfort with the coaching staff and players would seem to be #1A and #1B and I really feel like Gophers are in a good place in that respect. Tradition? Meh. IU has much more historical success obviously but things have evened out. As I recall we drubbed them by about 25 last year.

the kid is from Minnesota. why we are dedicating the past 10 posts to weather is beyond me. he knows how to live in Minnesota winters. that's not going to be a factor.

the kid is from Minnesota. why we are dedicating the past 10 posts to weather is beyond me. he knows how to live in Minnesota winters. that's not going to be a factor.

Bingo

Any more inkling on a date he commits? It sounds like before the season, so wasn't sure if that was in a week/month or maybe he won't at all before the season. Couldn't remember his IU visit dates. Obviously would be huge to get him but if he went elsewhere would still be nice to have some time to work on a plan B and not panic into the spring.

Any more inkling on a date he commits? It sounds like before the season, so wasn't sure if that was in a week/month or maybe he won't at all before the season. Couldn't remember his IU visit dates. Obviously would be huge to get him but if he went elsewhere would still be nice to have some time to work on a plan B and not panic into the spring.

IU visit still scheduled for this weekend as far as I've read, not aware of anything scheduled after that. Could be making decision in early November based on that.

I think I read by thanksgiving.

I think I read by thanksgiving.

That seems "late" for the early signing period. Is there a block of time they have to sign LOI's in the early signing period?

That seems "late" for the early signing period. Is there a block of time they have to sign LOI's in the early signing period?

He has stated a decision will be made by the signing period which is Nov 13th.

Also, he is visiting IU this weekend.

All i know is that I watched Garcia play again yesterday AM and he is an impressive player - quite the battle with Dain (PC) at Breakdown. Would be really happy with him in maroon and gold.

I’m sure his trip will be amazing. They always are. Last visit / Last Interviewer usually gets chosen.

Hope I am wrong but all information leads to Him being a Hoosier or Gopher, with the Hoosiers getting in the last word.

I’m sure his trip will be amazing. They always are. Last visit / Last Interviewer usually gets chosen.

Hope I am wrong but all information leads to Him being a Hoosier or Gopher, with the Hoosiers getting in the last word.

My hope is that the IU trip is simply due diligence and that he'll allow himself some deliberation time before making the decision to "stay home". A recruiting loss to a diminished IU program would not be good.

I am in the minority but i think he will pick the Gophers. I do not think of it as a loss if he does not pick the Gophers, all non blue bloods lose more recruits then they get but i think of them as a new beginning opening for another prospect. I remember when UVA got Sacha Killyea Jones. Only he changed his mind and went to Kentucky. That open spot later turned up to be Hunter. That turned out just fine. Often the lower ranked player has a far better career. I want the best players but given that we can not be sure who that is, give me the kid dying to be here.

I am in the minority but i think he will pick the Gophers. I do not think of it as a loss if he does not pick the Gophers, all non blue bloods lose more recruits then they get but i think of them as a new beginning opening for another prospect. I remember when UVA got Sacha Killyea Jones. Only he changed his mind and went to Kentucky. That open spot later turned up to be Hunter. That turned out just fine. Often the lower ranked player has a far better career. I want the best players but given that we can not be sure who that is, give me the kid dying to be here.

I think he picks Minnesota too but there's no way that a kid ranked lower by 50 spots will OFTEN have a better career. Sure it's a possibility but I'll take my chances with the 5 star recruit in Garcia every time over a 3-4 star.

And yes it is a loss if Garcia chooses Indiana. A huge loss actually. We'd be getting torched by our own hometown kid for several years after missing out on him.

Top Bottom