Media Prediction Thread: Nebraska at Minnesota

Our friends at The Daily Gopher are of course taking the Gophers!
HipsterGopher: On 10/2/1943 Minnesota beat the piss out of Nebraska 54-0. How funny would it be if that happened again?

It’s going to be ugly, weather-wise and probably football-wise. I don’t think the Huskers are terrible, but I think the Gophers are marginally better and the Minnesota run game is better, so I’ll go with the sloppy-but-close win

Another MN site, Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) is predicting a 31-21 Minnesota win
I think Minnesota comes out ready and hot to try and keep Nebraska at bay with a halftime lead. The Huskers make it close late, but Tanner Morgan does what he's done all year in leading a big fourth-quarter drive that ends in a Shannon Brooks touchdown to seal it for the Gophers.

Athlon Sports now has a full analysis with a 38-23 prediction in favor of the Gophers
Right now, Minnesota is getting the job done on the ground and has several capable defensive disruptors... This year, the boat gets rowed, Fleck gets revenge for 2018 and the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy heads to Minneapolis.

At the Daily Nebraskan, the predictions are mixed
38-35 Gophers, I think Minnesota has too much offensive firepower for Nebraska to handle and will win on a late field goal.

33-31 Huskers, The good news for the Husker offense is that no matter who is under center, the Golden Gophers don’t have a stellar defense. No matter Minnesota’s opponent this year, they’ve always managed to score points against the Gophers, and that won’t change this week.

27-21 Gophers, Not only will the Gophers be at home with a better record than they had at this point last season, but their personnel has improved as well. The biggest difference for Minnesota in this game will be at the running back position. Rodney Smith missed last year’s matchup due to injury and has been one of the best backs in the Big Ten so far this season.

Our friends at The Daily Gopher are of course taking the Gophers!
HipsterGopher: On 10/2/1943 Minnesota beat the piss out of Nebraska 54-0. How funny would it be if that happened again?

It’s going to be ugly, weather-wise and probably football-wise. I don’t think the Huskers are terrible, but I think the Gophers are marginally better and the Minnesota run game is better, so I’ll go with the sloppy-but-close win

Another MN site, Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) is predicting a 31-21 Minnesota win
I think Minnesota comes out ready and hot to try and keep Nebraska at bay with a halftime lead. The Huskers make it close late, but Tanner Morgan does what he's done all year in leading a big fourth-quarter drive that ends in a Shannon Brooks touchdown to seal it for the Gophers.

Athlon Sports now has a full analysis with a 38-23 prediction in favor of the Gophers
Right now, Minnesota is getting the job done on the ground and has several capable defensive disruptors... This year, the boat gets rowed, Fleck gets revenge for 2018 and the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy heads to Minneapolis.

At the Daily Nebraskan, the predictions are mixed
38-35 Gophers, I think Minnesota has too much offensive firepower for Nebraska to handle and will win on a late field goal.

33-31 Huskers, The good news for the Husker offense is that no matter who is under center, the Golden Gophers don’t have a stellar defense. No matter Minnesota’s opponent this year, they’ve always managed to score points against the Gophers, and that won’t change this week.

27-21 Gophers, Not only will the Gophers be at home with a better record than they had at this point last season, but their personnel has improved as well. The biggest difference for Minnesota in this game will be at the running back position. Rodney Smith missed last year’s matchup due to injury and has been one of the best backs in the Big Ten so far this season.

Only mostly true. The defense pitched a no-hitter vs Illinois. A coaching blunder in trying to ice the kicker, but accidentally allowing a practice kick, gave Illinois their only offensive points in the game.

Only mostly true. The defense pitched a no-hitter vs Illinois. A coaching blunder in trying to ice the kicker, but accidentally allowing a practice kick, gave Illinois their only offensive points in the game.

But the scoreboard said 17 and for people who do nothing other than look at box scores it makes sense

Bold predictions by USA Today

Minnesota's main weakness on defense has been its rushing defense. Nebraska is probably the one team all year that can truly exploit that, averaging 196.3 yards per game on the ground.
Like we mentioned above, Minnesota started very slow but ultimately won 40-17 behind 332 yards rushing and a couple of touchdowns. Minnesota can rush on Nebraska as well, considering the Cornhuskers have yielded 165.6 yards on the ground themselves.
Minnesota has played a lot of close games this season; four of its games have been decided by seven points or less. However, they did look great in the second half against Illinois.
Nebraska must get pressure up front to slow down Minnesota's running game and make the Gophers as one-dimensional as possible. If the Huskers do not, then it is blowout city.
Minnesota must run and run and run - keeping the ball around 33-35 minutes almost ensures a victory. Nebraska likes to push the ball downfield and play with pace. That plays into Minnesota's hands.
The turnover margin is where Minnesota excels as a top-20 club in the nation. Nebraska ranks in the bottom third.
Minnesota's defense will be tested often but must get off the field as quickly as possible so its offense can wear Nebraska down.
Can QB Rodney Smith make enough big plays for Minnesota to keep Nebraska honest? He threw for three scores last week and may have to throw for 250 and 2-3 touchdowns this week.

——————————-
Really ...QB Rodney Smith (clueless)

Jerry Palm @ CBS Sports

Upset of the week
Nebraska at Minnesota (-8): I get that Minnesota is undefeated, but I have seen them in person. The offensive line is not especially good and the defense is sketchy. The Gophers have gotten away with it so far, and had their most impressive performance of the season last week at Illinois, but this week is different. Nebraska has not lived up to the preseason hype, but the Huskers are still the best team Minnesota has played so far. The Cornhuskers win a high-scoring affair. Pick: Nebraska (+8)

Hahahaha

we should rename this thread to dink vs not a dink

Jerry Palm also predicted no bowl game for the Gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom