Most anticipation or biggest watershed game for Gophers since...

Most anticipated Gopher game since...

• Michigan 2003

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Northwestern 2008

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • TCU 2015

Votes: 32 43.2%
  • OTHER (please explain)

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2014. I’m really excited for Saturday. Chili hot. This thread may be over playing this game just a tad. This whole site has gone off the deep end this week tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, was at that game. Nice showing from the Gopher faithful there. Huge section of students who stood the whole game, pissing off the badger fans behind them. It was awesome for 3 quarters. The PSU game or season-ender against Bucky have a shot of replacing that game in anticipation if the Gophs continue to win.

And don't you mean the deepest end...this board is routinely off the deep end. :D

This game may not be a sexy matchup, but it is pivotal for both teams. More so for Nebraska.

I don't honestly know what Gopher and Nebraska teams will show up. It will be nice if the Gophers are 8-0 going into the Penn State game. However, anything can happen.

I guess I don’t remember a lot of hype for TCU. The Michigan game had far far more amperage.

I guess I don’t remember a lot of hype for TCU. The Michigan game had far far more amperage.

The 2015 Halloween Michigan game?

TCF was WAY more packed for TCU than it was for Michigan that year, not even close. The TCU game had one of the top two crowds in TCF history, the other being Air Force. The Michigan game crowd was good but nothing like we’ve never seen before.

The 2015 Halloween Michigan game?

TCF was WAY more packed for TCU than it was for Michigan that year, not even close. The TCU game had one of the top two crowds in TCF history, the other being Air Force. The Michigan game crowd was good but nothing like we’ve never seen before.

Agreed. People forget in 2015 we were coming off the Citrus Bowl season and the vibes were strong, plus TCU was ranked #2 for that game.

This game may not be a sexy matchup, but it is pivotal for both teams. More so for Nebraska.

I don't honestly know what Gopher and Nebraska teams will show up. It will be nice if the Gophers are 8-0 going into the Penn State game. However, anything can happen.

I agree that this is a must win for Nebraska. I think the Gophers will get their best shot.

But until the Gophers lose, every game is going to be huge.

2016 Gophers were 7-2, only losses were in overtime to PennState and by 7 to Iowa. night game in Lincoln, 90,000 people, 7-2 Huskers ranked 17-19, Gophers 34th. we win and we get second chance in three years to win the west by beating WI two weeks later. we were up at half, tied at end of third in Lincoln. I think we were beating Bucky at end of third quarter that year. NE qb was game time decision, iirc.

Last edited:

I picked other because none of the above wasn't an option. I don't feel like the anticipation level is super high for this game and I honestly don't feel like a win over Nebraska would really be any sort of watershed moment at this point.

Now if we manage to get to Penn State at 8-0 that one will be right up there with Michigan 2003 in terms of anticipation and excitement level.

Yes, but we're not at the Penn State game yet so this game is huge. If we win, we're firmly ranked. If we lose, we drop down into the lower ranks of those teams getting votes. That's the way it is right now. Each win from here on (except for Rutgers) moves us further away from "pretenders" to "contenders."

Now, if we win the next three and then somehow manage to beat PSU, we might be top 10.

Agreed. People forget in 2015 we were coming off the Citrus Bowl season and the vibes were strong, plus TCU was ranked #2 for that game.

Yes, but TCU killed us the year before so few people thought we would beat them in 2015. It turned out to be a close game which gave some optimism but, unfortunately, that optimism wasn't merited for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Yes, but TCU killed us the year before so few people thought we would beat them in 2015. It turned out to be a close game which gave some optimism but, unfortunately, that optimism wasn't merited for the rest of the season.

IIRC, that season was derailed pretty badly with injuries, particularly on D. Myrick, Craig James, Demarius Travis, Ace Rogers, Cody Poock all had season ending injuries and maybe 1-2 on the D-line. That secondary was suppose to be the best in school history but didn't do much that year. The offense was pretty solid and Mitch had a good year but the pass D let us down.

I voted TCU. I was in the Band and even though we got killed by TCU the year prior we were all flying high on the chance to watch the team make a statement. That is the most packed I've seen the home opener that I remember (other than the first game in TCF vs Air Force), the aura on the field for pregame was the most electric I felt in my entire band career and the cheering we got when we started expansion was thrilling. I still go back and watch the pregame video for that game.

We were robbed in that game too. We tried to hurry up and get one more play in since were were in the Red Zone, and so a TCU defensive player faked an injury to get the time to run out (he got up and was walking fine once the time ran out). I still maintain we would have been able to score and win the game if that hadn't happened.

The offense was pretty solid and Mitch had a good year but the pass D let us down.

Yes, Mitch had a very good year in 2015 and that is a big reason why he was such a disappointment a year later as a senior.

I voted TCU. I was in the Band and even though we got killed by TCU the year prior we were all flying high on the chance to watch the team make a statement. That is the most packed I've seen the home opener that I remember (other than the first game in TCF vs Air Force), the aura on the field for pregame was the most electric I felt in my entire band career and the cheering we got when we started expansion was thrilling. I still go back and watch the pregame video for that game.

We were robbed in that game too. We tried to hurry up and get one more play in since were were in the Red Zone, and so a TCU defensive player faked an injury to get the time to run out (he got up and was walking fine once the time ran out). I still maintain we would have been able to score and win the game if that hadn't happened.

Roderick Williams fumbling at the 2 yard line about to score was the big thing.

Great example and now that you mention that one, I probably could have added it as well as the 2014 game where the winner would have won the west to this list, as the only away game on the list. But both these games still fit the mold as being losses, sadly.

I'd say the 2014 game. It's somewhat lessened by the fact that we got the Citrus Bowl anyway, and probably would have even if we'd gone to the B1G championship and lost.

2016 Gophers were 7-2, only losses were in overtime to PennState and by 7 to Iowa. night game in Lincoln, 90,000 people, 7-2 Huskers ranked 17-19, Gophers 34th. we win and we get second chance in three years to win the west by beating WI two weeks later. we were up at half, tied at end of third in Lincoln. I think we were beating Bucky at end of third quarter that year. NE qb was game time decision, iirc.

Good post. The 2016 game in Lincoln is rarely mentioned in these discussions but was a huge opportunity at the time.

Biggest game since we lost at Wisconsin when we had the lead and Mitch threw the pick in the end zone and we lost. Can’t remember the year. We win and I think we would of had a chance to win the BT West.

I chose the ****sconsin game for the Big West because Minnesota had sucked since Brewster (not a personal shot, just based on record), and Minnesota was showing signs of higher level competition. I thought we had a good shot, but the Gophs just weren't there yet. They showed they belonged in certain conversations, but still only an afterthought after that game. I think a win in this Nebraska game (especially after last year's game) will show major signs of program improvement and raise the level of impression.

Heads have begun to turn. It is interesting that at least in post year 2000 Gopher history, the Gophers have lost these games. But, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on where this weekend's game against Nebraska ranks in terms of Gopher history of big games.

I’ve read on this board that Nebraska sucks, so this game is important only in that we stay undefeated. We win this game and it means little other than we remain unbeaten and still suspect as we haven’t beaten “anybody”.

For this season the first watershed game is Penn State. And it’s only watershed if we’re 8-0 going in.

If we beat them (they haven’t exactly faced a murderers row of opponents either) the Wisconsin game becomes the next watershed game with a chance to win the west.

Nebraska isn’t that good.
It’s important to win if we are going to be good at the end of the year. If we win today it means we beat the 4th or 5th best team in the big ten west. If we lose it means we lost to the 3rd or 4th best team in the west.

Top Bottom