Anyone in favor of extending Fleck and making him one of the highest

So, based on your experience you are saying it would be cheaper to sign him if we aren’t in a bidding war with other schools? Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea how many contracts you've negotiated, but my guess is none. It seems a majority of those who have posted want to wait. Always happy to provide insight for you. I'm still trying to find insight in your high snark, low substance posts. Lighten up my friend.

Last edited:

I can understand why anyone would think an extension is premature given that he hasn't won the West yet.
But the effort is outstanding. The recruiting level and effort are outstanding. The results on the field are very good and trending very well. The results off the field are outstanding. It's a great time to make a long term investment. There's no downside. At worst he's at the top of what we've achieved here for decades. At best, he's the best coach we'll ever have in our lifetime.

Judging from the total effort with a seven game winning streak, I think it is apropos towards the end of the season if he continues his winning ways to lock him and his staff long term.

If he keeps winning, recruiting will be elevated especially if he is locked in long term. Why wait too long? He has a chance to elevate the Gophers into a winning program. Show him commitment.

I certainly think we should try as hard as we can to keep him, if the team finishes this season well. But I'm pretty confident hes gonna bolt for a helmet school once they back up a dump truck full of cash to his Edina manor. Perhaps he would want to stay in one place for a while since he has a gaggle of children. He bolted out of Kalamazoo as soon as he had a really successful season, why wouldn't he do the same thing here? I think UCLA, Tennesee, and Michigan would be alluring to him.

Posting this garbage nonsense once wasn't enough? You had to post it again?

Comparing the University of Minnesota to Western Michigan University? AND comparing Minneapolis to Kalamazoo? Seriously?

If he leaves, I doubt it will be about the money. If he wins, he knows he can get a lot more than he’s currently making even if he stays here.

If he leaves, it will be for a better atmosphere, better recruiting potential, a more loyal fanbase....stuff like that.

On the flip side, he’d be expected to win a national championship within a few years at a helmet school, and be under a microscope to a much larger degree than he is here. I think he’s better off staying and building a Wisconsin level program here, which is totally doable, IMO.

I have no idea how many contracts you've negotiated, but my guess is none. It seems a majority of those who have posted want to wait. Always happy to provide insight for you. I'm still trying to find insight in your high snark, low substance posts. <b>Lighten up my friend.</b>

You type all that then tell me to lighten up?
Good Stuff Scooter.

If he leaves, I doubt it will be about the money. If he wins, he knows he can get a lot more than he’s currently making even if he stays here.

If he leaves, it will be for a better atmosphere, better recruiting potential, a more loyal fanbase....stuff like that.

On the flip side, he’d be expected to win a national championship within a few years at a helmet school, and be under a microscope to a much larger degree than he is here. I think he’s better off staying and building a Wisconsin level program here, which is totally doable, IMO.

Yes, I agree if Fleck were to leave it would be to escape the apathy and negativity that hang over this program. I hope he is the kind of person that gets extra enjoyment from making something big out of this team. It isn't an easy task, but if he is truly successful and turns this program into a perennial winner then he could be pretty proud and well compensated.

You type all that then tell me to lighten up?
Good Stuff Scooter.

I generally find your takes reasonable Spoofin, but in this case you come off as an ass.

I generally find your takes reasonable Spoofin, but in this case you come off as an ass.

Duly noted. Since sharing common sense as insight is now defended, let me advise all that wearing a jacket in winter will help keep you warmer.

Why are Gopher fans so sensitive about losing a head coach? Cuz Holtz left 35 years ago? Becky has had 2 coaches leave for Arkansas and Oregon St in the last 10 years.

Seriously, enjoy the team and the moment.

Why are Gopher fans so sensitive about losing a head coach? Cuz Holtz left 35 years ago? Becky has had 2 coaches leave for Arkansas and Oregon St in the last 10 years.

Yeah, and they haven't been to the Rose Bowl since.

2000 years?

We beat Wisconsin once in the last 2000 years, we beat a bad Georgia state team in a exhibition game and we are 5-0 against weak competition, all positive. November will say a lot about the real PJ Fleck and if he is a "coach". If we can get to the BIG championship, maybe win it or go to a decent Jan 1 bowl, then we can talk a light extension. Win next year then we can talk more seriously about it. It might not matter what money is offered or how the contract may play out, it might be Fleck is looking for a bigger job.

Not 2000 years. Say it ain't so, Jay!

Duly noted. Since sharing common sense as insight is now defended, let me advise all that wearing a jacket in winter will help keep you warmer.

Charlie Strong: Louisville to Texas

I have said it before, Fleck leaves for another “helmet school” and he becomes just another coach in that schools history. He stays here and brings this program to true relevance, he becomes a legend. He will stay, we will win, he will become a legend. Lock him up now!

Fleck is an under dogg, has been his whole life. He is the perfect coach for this program. His mission is to get the Gophs back to the glory years of winning national titles and Big Ten Championships. Is he perfect? No. But he is a gamer and never gives up, he is the type of guy that scratches and claws getting every ounce of effort out of his players on the field and he recruits 24/7.

I do get the wait and see, he hasn’t proven anything yet comments. But if you look at what he is building you can’t deny it is different than anything we have seen here before. Year 3 and being 5-0 is nice, but I think year 4, 5, & 6 will be lights out and we will really see the program turn the corner.

I have said it before, Fleck leaves for another “helmet school” and he becomes just another coach in that schools history. He stays here and brings this program to true relevance, he becomes a legend. He will stay, we will win, he will become a legend. Lock him up now!

Fleck is an under dogg, has been his whole life. He is the perfect coach for this program. His mission is to get the Gophs back to the glory years of winning national titles and Big Ten Championships. Is he perfect? No. But he is a gamer and never gives up, he is the type of guy that scratches and claws getting every ounce of effort out of his players on the field and he recruits 24/7.

I do get the wait and see, he hasn’t proven anything yet comments. But if you look at what he is building you can’t deny it is different than anything we have seen here before. Year 3 and being 5-0 is nice, but I think year 4, 5, & 6 will be lights out and we will really see the program turn the corner.

If he relishes the under dog role, why did he leave his previous job when he was pushing toward the goal of making the team relevant on a national level?

He took a step up to come to Minn, he will take the next step if offered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at this transaction like buying stocks. Do your research, enter in at lower levels and buy and hold before the hype. Once the news is out, it's too late.

I always buy my socks before the hype starts. People are like, "Slouched argyle is the next big thing!" and I'm like, "I already cornered the market, see." So they have to either buy from me or settle for plain white ankle socks.

Posting this garbage nonsense once wasn't enough? You had to post it again?

Comparing the University of Minnesota to Western Michigan University? AND comparing Minneapolis to Kalamazoo? Seriously?

He left a successful mid major program he built as soon as he had a chance to do it at a higher level. This may blow your mind dpodork... but we are a perennial P5 bottom feeder. Plenty of programs with more money to throw at football than the U. He will leave us for a helmet school, His ego craves it.

OK. Let's put this in perspective. This, to the best of my knowledge, is the current status of Fleck's contract, which runs through 2023. His original deal from 2017 was 5 years, $18 million total. He signed a 1-year extension in 2018. that takes us up to the present. (per the Strib)

BASE SALARIES PER SEASON
2019: $3.6 million
2020: $ 3.65 million
2021: $3.7 million
2022: $3.75 million
2023: $3.8 million

BUYOUTS
If he’s fired: Amount owed to Fleck if the Gophers fire him ...
on Jan. 1, 2020: $9M
on Jan. 1, 2021: $5.5M
on Jan. 1, 2022: $3M
on Jan. 1, 2023: $1.5M

If he leaves for another job: Amount Fleck owes the Gophers if he leaves ...
before 2020 season: $4M
before 2021 season: $3M
before 2022 season: $2M
before 2023 season: $1M
Note: Buyouts are prorated, if termination occurs midyear.

We should get another one-year extension in place now where the salary is increased along with the buyout levels. Do it now versus waiting until the end of the year when the annual "who's going to be our next coach now that we fired our last loser" frenzy starts.

If he relishes the under dog role, why did he leave his previous job when he was pushing toward the goal of making the team relevant on a national level?

He took a step up to come to Minn, he will take the next step if offered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe. And maybe MN will no longer be an underdog? Maybe he can make us nationally relevant in 5 years. Western Michigan's absolute cap is building a program like Boise. And Fleck got them there in 4.

some will tell you our cap is West titles, but it isn't.

He left a successful mid major program he built as soon as he had a chance to do it at a higher level. This may blow your mind dpodork... but we are a perennial P5 bottom feeder. Plenty of programs with more money to throw at football than the U. He will leave us for a helmet school, His ego craves it.

His goal wasn't mid major. It might not be Minnesota. It might be helmet school or the NFL. There is a lot to like about the Twin Cities though. There's a reason Mason never left. Part of why I like the long slow build route is because once those roots take hold here, it's hard to leave. Old Lou got out just in time.

How our standards have fallen...

Win a few more axe games, regularly beat top-25 teams, and win at least one west title and then we can talk. I don’t want our future to be based on a great year with a weak schedule.

Bottom line - as long as Coyle is the AD, I think Fleck will be the FB Coach.

My bet is that they do a one-year "extension" every year, so Fleck always has at least 5 years on his contract. It will be the equivalent of an annual 1-year rollover.

if another school does come sniffing around, and Coyle gets wind of it, he'll give Fleck a salary bump to keep him at MN.

(we could do the debate over whether a coach needs a 5-year deal to recruit effectively, but that would be another topic for another thread.)

Bottom line - as long as Coyle is the AD, I think Fleck will be the FB Coach.

My bet is that they do a one-year "extension" every year, so Fleck always has at least 5 years on his contract. It will be the equivalent of an annual 1-year rollover.

if another school does come sniffing around, and Coyle gets wind of it, he'll give Fleck a salary bump to keep him at MN.

(we could do the debate over whether a coach needs a 5-year deal to recruit effectively, but that would be another topic for another thread.)

I believe this is the way to go.
Hasn't MC done this exact same thing with Richard?

I believe this is the way to go.
Hasn't MC done this exact same thing with Richard?

Richard isn't exactly in demand.

This isn't the way to go with Fleck. Give him a long term deal. Lock him up. Help him recruit. Show committment. Help him retain assistants.

Top Bottom