[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats Purdue 38 - 31

Any video of the handshake?
I don't have video but I don't think it was that big of a deal. It was really quick.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

If there ever was a trap game, next week is the one. Can't overlook Illinois with Nebraska coming on 10/12.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Trap? Why would you worry about Nebraska. This is not the cheating 90's. Both Nebraska and Illinois are not very good. Any team can beat anyone but there is no trap. We still are an unknown.

That's not inconceivable. He's just a soph. But, you're probably right. Stefon Diggs was only a 5th rounder.

I stand by my remarks. Bateman is really good, but Gopher fans tend to protect our players as getting drafted much earlier than when they actually get picked, if at all.

Does the RPO Scheme hinder/restrict run blocking?

The passing offense was wonderful... Pass blocking (for the most part), Morgan, the receivers, the calls.... A+.

The run game.... Ugg. This big line can't get you a per run average over 3 yards? Unacceptable.

Defense? If they don't improve their tackling, my heart may not survive the season.

What could have been a laugh off victory needlessly turned into a nail biter.

There was one flag for ineligible down field.

Does the chance of a preferred run call being executed as a pass limit the line push/explosion on fun plays?

Does the chance of a preferred run call being executed as a pass limit the line push/explosion on fun plays?

Great question... Hopefully some our tacticians have input.

I'm not finding the typical postgame video of Fleck.

Yes, a true RPO can limit aggressive blocking for the run. That's expecially true for the lineman that would normally double/chip a defensive lineman then block a linebacker downfield. That downfield blocking can't be done on a run-pass option play. I noticed on the Gophs last drive when it was obvious every play was going to be run, there was some good push from the O-line even with Purdue stacking the box.

Pompous Elitist (responding to your onside kick words), obviously you were not a good infielder back in the day because if you were, you would have a natural response to controllably charge, when a ball is kicked/hit that slow in your direction. Do not let it make that second or third hop. If Seth was in control of that action it would have been a different story. I bet that will never happen to him again. He is that good of an athlete.

One odd thing is that the Gophers were ahead 14-3 when the double injury to Purdue's ostensibly two best players happened; after that, we were 24-28 and almost lost.

One odd thing is that the Gophers were ahead 14-3 when the double injury to Purdue's ostensibly two best players happened; after that, we were 24-28 and almost lost.

Purdue was able to make a game of it without those two but I wouldn't say we almost lost. No last minute heroics needed in this one. Purdue made it a little interesting at the end by recovering the onside kick but it never really felt like this one was going to be an L the way some of the non-conf games did.

If there ever was a trap game, next week is the one. Can't overlook Illinois with Nebraska coming on 10/12.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another good reason to not overlook Illinois is because they beat the **** out of us last year.

Pompous Elitist (responding to your onside kick words), obviously you were not a good infielder back in the day because if you were, you would have a natural response to controllably charge, when a ball is kicked/hit that slow in your direction. Do not let it make that second or third hop. If Seth was in control of that action it would have been a different story. I bet that will never happen to him again. He is that good of an athlete.

do you think Seth played a whole lot of infield back in the day? failing to see what PE's prior infield days have to do with anything

Finding the balance

Yes, a true RPO can limit aggressive blocking for the run. That's expecially true for the lineman that would normally double/chip a defensive lineman then block a linebacker downfield. That downfield blocking can't be done on a run-pass option play. I noticed on the Gophs last drive when it was obvious every play was going to be run, there was some good push from the O-line even with Purdue stacking the box.

Kind of thought so, thanks for confirming.

Any idea how they can improve the run blocking working around that limitation? Is there a variant = run screen pass option that combines the mystery and powerful blocking?

I was thinking the same thing. An infielder would definitely charge that ball and get it before the second hop or at the worst take it in the chest and be able to control it. SG stood there and let it come to him and left the ball in control.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I stand by my remarks. Bateman is really good, but Gopher fans tend to protect our players as getting drafted much earlier than when they actually get picked, if at all.

You are absolutely right about Gophers fans overrating their own players (I think every fanbase does this), but there is something different about Bateman. He just has that "it factor" that is difficult to fully explain. He has the height, the build (and still getting bigger), the hands, the speed, the route running, timing on jumps, actually pretty decent at run blocking - the whole package, really. And he's only a sophomore. He may not be drafted in the first round, but I would be absolutely floored if he's not drafted by at least the third round whenever he comes out. That's assuming, God forbid, no devastating injury or some other dire outcome.

I was thinking the same thing. An infielder would definitely charge that ball and get it before the second hop or at the worst take it in the chest and be able to control it. SG stood there and let it come to him and left the ball in control.

Any chance the fielding strategies would be different for a football than a baseball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ Fleck I thought had a nice post game conference on the grassy knoll. This is what the Purdue sniveling man child of a coach provided for PJ. What a classless lousy loser.

I wonder if King Doerue had second thoughts about opting for Purdue over the Gophers. PJ Fleck had a pretty long chat with him post game. That is classy on PJ's part.

I’m not convinced NE is much better than IL.

Last weeks game tells me that Nebraska is better.
Nebraska won on the road.
So they are probably a little better on a neutral field.

It took a bad hop. Get real.

PJ Fleck I thought had a nice post game conference on the grassy knoll. This is what the Purdue sniveling man child of a coach provided for PJ. What a classless lousy loser.

I wonder if King Doerue had second thoughts about opting for Purdue over the Gophers. PJ Fleck had a pretty long chat with him post game. That is classy on PJ's part.

I've noted that PJ always seems to seek out opposing players who performed at a high level in the game. I'm sure complimenting and wishing well. It's a nice touch.

PJ Fleck I thought had a nice post game conference on the grassy knoll. <b>This is what the Purdue sniveling man child of a coach provided for PJ. What a classless lousy loser.</b>.

Already been posted that is where Vandy did their post game presser too - so, as much as you want to make it about Brohm shafting PJ - Purdue apparently chooses to be classless to all teams.

The clown show continues

A mutual blow by handshake and thinking they both are being childish is a clown show? The right answer is only one is being so? Talk about a clown show.

Already been posted that is where Vandy did their post game presser too - so, as much as you want to make it about Brohm shafting PJ - Purdue apparently chooses to be classless to all teams.

I'm curious to know what it looks like at the visiting postgame presser on a rain or snow day in West Lafayette...... Yesterday, I particularly enjoyed the fact that the site is under airline and helicopter flight paths which make for excellent audio quality.

Good to know that we are not being singled out with the crap setting, but I still think we set up Brohm in a concourse men's room for future postgame, just to prove a point. And no, I don't want the mens room closed off to the public at the time.

This was exactly my point. With the new onside kick rules a lot of teams do the middle kick and we looked woefully unprepared for it. By memory it seemed there was only Green and Winfield and they both looked unprepared.

If you ever played infield with a decent coach what has been said makes perfect sense. Don’t let the ball play you. Let’s hope they get this corrected because it was awful.

Top Bottom