All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Marquette has 2 commitments for 4 star power forwards, I don't think Marquette is a great option anymore.

Is Indiana in the last decade much different than Minnesota honestly. The 2015-2016 season they had a really nice team and run in the NCAA's but that couple years have been meh.

Marquette has 2 commitments for 4 star power forwards, I don't think Marquette is a great option anymore.

Is Indiana in the last decade much different than Minnesota honestly. The 2015-2016 season they had a really nice team and run in the NCAA's but that couple years have been meh.

Have NBA placement pedigree, inclduingnin last 10 years. They’re still head and shoulders more regarding as a destination program than the U

Minnesota: 0 Big Ten titles, 4 NCAA Tournament appearances (2 second round appearances), Big Ten record of 69-113 (.379), 0 players drafted into the NBA
Indiana: 2 Big Ten titles, 4 NCAA Tournament appearances (3 sweet sixteen appearances), Big Ten record of 87-95 (.478), 6 players drafted into the NBA (3 lottery picks)

No one's going to confuse the last 10 years of Indiana with those of Bobby Knight (or even Mike Davis), but Indiana has been significantly better than Minnesota over those 10 years. Moreover, while the Indiana fanbase never embraced the good coach they had in Crean, they now have one of the best young coaches in the country, someone they rally behind and who could coach there another 30 years.

All of that being said - it would be odd for us to lose a 5-star in-state recruit to Indiana. I don't know if that's ever happened.

Last edited:

well...as a gopher fan here in indianapolis and a father of a IU student. We dislike IU / PU alot. Go Gophers. Many here cant wait for Glass to get fired or leave...anything really. It is my hope that Garcia n others stay home and play for the U. I have a 6'9" 250 lbs. sophomore at IU and they dont want him to play basketball for him. So IU apparently doesnt need any big men for the next few years...WTF. Well have a good day.

Five-star Prior Lake senior Dawson Garcia plans Gophers official visit this weekend

Five-star Prior Lake big man Dawson Garcia will be the first Minnesota player in the 2020 class to take an official visit with the Gophers when he comes to campus this weekend.

Garcia, who is ranked as high as No. 22 nationally, recently narrowed his list of schools to seven, which includes Marquette, North Carolina, Indiana, Kansas, Arizona and Memphis.

The 6-foot-11 power forward visited the Gophers unofficially twice this fall, including for last weekend’s football game vs. Georgia Southern.

Pitino is also hosting four-star Chicago Bloom High school center Martice Mitchell on an official visit this weekend. The 6-10 Mitchell also has offers from Iowa, Xavier and Illinois.

http://www.startribune.com/five-sta...ophers-official-visit-this-weekend/561430992/

Go Gophers!!

Five-star Prior Lake senior Dawson Garcia plans Gophers official visit this weekend

Five-star Prior Lake big man Dawson Garcia will be the first Minnesota player in the 2020 class to take an official visit with the Gophers when he comes to campus this weekend.

Garcia, who is ranked as high as No. 22 nationally, recently narrowed his list of schools to seven, which includes Marquette, North Carolina, Indiana, Kansas, Arizona and Memphis.

The 6-foot-11 power forward visited the Gophers unofficially twice this fall, including for last weekend’s football game vs. Georgia Southern.

Pitino is also hosting four-star Chicago Bloom High school center Martice Mitchell on an official visit this weekend. The 6-10 Mitchell also has offers from Iowa, Xavier and Illinois.

http://www.startribune.com/five-sta...ophers-official-visit-this-weekend/561430992/

Go Gophers!!

Would we take both Garcia and Mitchell? Always seems kind of interesting on visits like this -- are they potentially future teammates, or are they both interviewing to fill one available slot?

Would we take both Garcia and Mitchell? Always seems kind of interesting on visits like this -- are they potentially future teammates, or are they both interviewing to fill one available slot?

Yes. Without question. In a blink of an eye.

Neither is interviewing, both are selecting.

Go Gophers!!

Yes. Without question. In a blink of an eye.

Neither is interviewing, both are selecting.

Go Gophers!!

Completely agreed, Garcia is so versatile you can pair him with any traditional big and be more than fine

Probably a 99% chance that we would. I think one of the only ways we wouldn't is if Pitino is confident that Garcia and Walton are a package deal. I'd bet money we'd take both this weekend if they both wanted to commit though.

You absolutely take them both, if they both want to commit. Garcia is a top 30 recruit and can play the 4 and 5. He's not just a center.

Being hopeful. No real rumors. Just chatter from excitable fans. Couple of interesting things.

Dawson going to homecoming instead of Hoosier hysteria:
https://twitter.com/hoosierhystrcs/status/1176954776979828736?s=21

https://twitter.com/samueltstory/status/1176134234139963393?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the minority but I think Garcia will commit here. the staff has done a marvelous job making him a priority. Blue bloods and other elite programs did nit do that and several did not even offer.

You could go small ball, spread the offense out, open up the lanes, shoot three's with Ihnen, Mitchell, and Garcia, oop's they are 6'9" and 6'"10, not so small.

In the minority but I think Garcia will commit here. the staff has done a marvelous job making him a priority. Blue bloods and other elite programs did nit do that and several did not even offer.

It would make big headlines if he did that's for sure

Don’t go getting me excited Built!

Don’t go getting me excited Built!

Just reading tee leaves, that is all there is. The Gophers have been all in from the start and are still in. Others never got in, others have been dropped and others are in trouble, still others have a starter at that spot.

You could go small ball, spread the offense out, open up the lanes, shoot three's with Ihnen, Mitchell, and Garcia, oop's they are 6'9" and 6'"10, not so small.

Just think of the versatility of having such athletic big men, we could really make a lotta noise.

Then adding Chet, we would have to start our own numbering system...

Garcia is alternating between the 12 and 34 spots so far with Mitchell playing the 47 and 15, while Chet has slide over to the 26. This is giving Duke some real match up problems, they just don’t know how to respond, similar to what Minnesota did to Kentucky a day ago....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just think of the versatility of having such athletic big men, we could really make a lotta noise.

Then adding Chet, we would have to start our own numbering system...

Garcia is alternating between the 12 and 34 spots so far with Mitchell playing the 47 and 15, while Chet has slide over to the 26. This is giving Duke some real match up problems, they just don’t know how to respond, similar to what Minnesota did to Kentucky a day ago....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...and there it is! Duke has conceded the game to the Gophers 10 minutes into the game! The Duke players and coaches are walking off the court with their heads hung in shame.

Nice, hed really help get ball rolling

So any word on Dawson’s OV count? Because if 247 is to be believed, Memphis would be his fifth and last official visit after OVing (according to them) to Texas, Baylor, Marquette, Minnesota and now Memphis. Remember there was talk about him seeing Indiana and I imagine he’ll get out to Arizona at some point but those would be unofficial visits. Arizona to me is still the one to worry about but he may not have as quick of a path to playing time as he would here if Zeke doesn’t go pro and with former 5* Jordan Brown transferring in. I feel good about the Gophers chances especially if they can seal the deal with a couple of these guys coming to visit in the next few weeks.

So any word on Dawson’s OV count? Because if 247 is to be believed, Memphis would be his fifth and last official visit after OVing (according to them) to Texas, Baylor, Marquette, Minnesota and now Memphis. Remember there was talk about him seeing Indiana and I imagine he’ll get out to Arizona at some point but those would be unofficial visits. Arizona to me is still the one to worry about but he may not have as quick of a path to playing time as he would here if Zeke doesn’t go pro and with former 5* Jordan Brown transferring in. I feel good about the Gophers chances especially if they can seal the deal with a couple of these guys coming to visit in the next few weeks.

Someone on here posted that players can take 5 officials during their junior year and 5 their senior year under the new rules. Not sure if that's true or not, but if so, guessing all those previous ones were junior year visits?

Someone on here posted that players can take 5 officials during their junior year and 5 their senior year under the new rules. Not sure if that's true or not, but if so, guessing all those previous ones were junior year visits?

I can’t find anything on that but it’d make more sense. From what I’ve looked up, the only change I’ve seen is that Juniors can take OVs now which is why Dawson was able to take the Texas, Baylor and Marquette OVs earlier this year but it’s still limited to five. I wonder whether those three visits were actually officials because apparently Garcia’s plan is to make three more visits and then decide in November/sign early.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Keep hoping every time I sign on he’s going to be committed

He looks good in Maroon and Gold!

Hadn't seen this quote or update on Garcia's visit last weekend. Its from the Mashburn visit article in the Strib online now:

"Last weekend, the Gophers had four-star 6-10 Chicago Bloom forward Martice Mitchell and five-star 6-11 Prior Lake forward Dawson Garcia on official visits. Garcia told Prep Hoops national analyst Ryan James that he would decide this fall after taking three more officials, including Memphis this weekend.

Garcia did enjoy his visit with the home state program.

"I have always been cool with this coaching staff,” Garcia told James. “But going to Coach Pitino's house and being around his family, I just felt super comfortable. Being around that family environment, I just felt at home really."

I like what I'm hearing here!

Top Bottom