Tanner Morgan currently 8th best QB in nation on 3rd/4th downs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Combined records of the 9 teams listed on that graphic:
22-4 (kentucky is listed twice, oddly)

Last edited:

yeah, figured he'd be higher actually. Seems to be "money" on third downs. Actually, I wonder if he would be higher if this included third AND fourth down.

I just hope we get to see this continue against teams like Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin and this doesn't become a footnote from an underwhelming 2019 non conference schedule.

yeah, figured he'd be higher actually. Seems to be "money" on third downs. Actually, I wonder if he would be higher if this included third AND fourth down.

I just hope we get to see this continue against teams like Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin and this doesn't become a footnote from an underwhelming 2019 non conference schedule.

It does.

It was so interesting watching NFL quarterbacks this weekend, and how they're puppet masters in moving linebackers and safeties with their head and eyes in order to create room for their receivers. No question that Morgan stares down his target much too often, but I don't think he's alone in the college ranks. That kind of thing comes with years of experience.

It was so interesting watching NFL quarterbacks this weekend, and how they're puppet masters in moving linebackers and safeties with their head and eyes in order to create room for their receivers. No question that Morgan stares down his target much too often, but I don't think he's alone in the college ranks. That kind of thing comes with years of experience.

He definitely could do a better job of looking off the LBs
and safeties. This offense isn’t very complicated. The primary receiver is usually the one drawing single coverage, and since the backs and TEs have to help our sh*t o-line block, Tanner has no safety valve option. If the primary route isn’t open, he’s screwed. Fortunately, we have stud receivers, who usually get open, but a smart Big Ten defensive coordinator will likely be able to scheme against that easily. The season comes down to whether they can get the o-line fixed, so they can run more effectively and open up the playbook a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Years of experience but you're also taking like 3% of college QBs (just a % I picked, but probably kinda close) and watching them in the NFL. The elite of the elite make it to the NFL.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

What about on 3rd and 4th down in the last 2 minutes of a game?

Where does he rank on 1st down? :cool02::cool02::cool02:

What about arm strength? That should factor in there somewhere!?!

Years of experience but you're also taking like 3% of college QBs (just a % I picked, but probably kinda close) and watching them in the NFL. The elite of the elite make it to the NFL.

Just in the 2019 class, there were 11 QBs drafted out of 130 FBS starters, which would be ~8.5%. Given that undrafted free agents also make NFL rosters, the actual number is probably more like 9-10% at any given time.

Go Gophers!!

I’m kinda surprised GH didn’t take a dig at a former QB on this tweet.

Just in the 2019 class, there were 11 QBs drafted out of 130 FBS starters, which would be ~8.5%. Given that undrafted free agents also make NFL rosters, the actual number is probably more like 9-10% at any given time.

I didn't say drafted. I said watching them in the NFL. Unless you count watching them hold a clipboard.

Wondering if Tua from Alabama is off the sheet because nobody they play can get them to 3rd or 4th down?

Wetnz came from a FCS school...

Wondering if Tua from Alabama is off the sheet because nobody they play can get them to 3rd or 4th down?

It’s a minimum 10 attempts, he qualifies

Tua on 3rd down....

11/14, 116 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 171.7 rating, 8.3 yards per attempt.

4th down...

1/1, 42 yards, 1 TD, 782.8 rating.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/4241479/tua-tagovailoa

Those are very good numbers, but apparently not good enough to make the cut.

Tanner on 3rd down...

12/15, 178 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 242.6 rating, 11.9 yards per attempt.

4th down...

2/2, 30 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 391 rating, 15 yards per attempt.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/4240756/tanner-morgan

If you check out Tanner’s splits at the link above, he’s lights out on 2nd, 3rd and 4th down, but on 1st down...not so much. I hope they’re working on whatever is causing that.

Last edited:

If you check out Tanner’s splits at the link above, he’s lights out on 2nd, 3rd and 4th down, but on 1st down...not so much.

Maybe that's why they always run up the middle for 3 yards on 1st down. They know it's not worth it to throw on 1st down with those numbers and TM2 will be much more effective on 2nd or 3rd down!

Top Bottom