Scanlan on U's chances with Seantrel: I do believe sincerely that the U’s back in it

BleedGopher

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/p...rksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

The recruiting derby for Cretin-Derham Hall offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson is reaching the final stage, with signing day coming up on Feb. 3

The mammoth 18-year-old has made official visits to Southern California, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Florida, and will complete his official visits when he goes to Miami this weekend. Coaches from all those colleges are also expected to visit Henderson at Cretin-Derham Hall before signing day, Cretin-Derham Hall coach Mike Scanlan told me today.

"They’re going to play it out right to the end," he said.

Scanlan also said that he believes the Gophers are in the mix for Henderson.

"I do believe sincerely that the U’s back in it," he said. "I think the U’s got a fair chance."

Go Gophers!!

That's two of his high school coaches in the last week saying we're in it. Then again it could all be for PR sake.

At least the U is getting some positive press for a change.

That's two of his high school coaches in the last week saying we're in it. Then again it could all be for PR sake.

I am one of those guys that doesn't/didn't think we had a prayer for Seantrel, however, I do know Mike Scanlan. He really isn't in the business of selling false hope and is one of the most honest (often brutally honest) people I have ever known. If he genuinely didn't think the U had a chance, he wouldn't have said they do.

From someone who knows Mike Scanlan, the chances (in my head) of Seantrel coming to the U just went from .ooo1% to about 5%.

CDH coaches never felt the need to make those kind of statements when Mason/Shaw where leading the charge. Never.

A lot of us remember that because we disliked them for it. I didn't blame Mason for it; never even thought about blaming Mason or Shaw for that matter. Just felt irritated that there seemed to be a rather smug attitude over at CDH that while second or third tier kids were good enough for the U, Four or Five Star recruits had no business even considering heading over there.

That feeling seemed to be shared by the General Public by the way.

Maybe Mason and Shaw would still be coaching at TCF if they had been able to get that kind of support over at CDH. No matter how the recruitment of SH pans out, it's nice to see the change.

CDH coaches never felt the need to make those kind of statements when Mason/Shaw where leading the charge. Never.

A lot of us remember that because we disliked them for it. I didn't blame Mason for it; never even thought about blaming Mason or Shaw for that matter. Just felt irritated that there seemed to be a rather smug attitude over at CDH that while second or third tier kids were good enough for the U, Four or Five Star recruits had no business even considering heading over there.

That feeling seemed to be shared by the General Public by the way.

Maybe Mason and Shaw would still be coaching at TCF if they had been able to get that kind of support over at CDH. No matter how the recruitment of SH pans out, it's nice to see the change.

I was at CDH during those times (obviously not one of the heavily recruited kids), but there was a definite feeling that the U didn't look at CDH as a legitimate pipeline of D1 talent. Coaches from Wisconsin, Iowa, and Notre Dame were definitely a larger presense in the school than the U.

LOL. You clearly didn't pay attention to Mason's track record. He was an arrogant jerk to all the MN HS coaches and they in turn all hated him. Respect is a two way street and Mason never showed any to the area's coaches, so why would they give any support to him?

I was at CDH during those times (obviously not one of the heavily recruited kids), but there was a definite feeling that the U didn't look at CDH as a legitimate pipeline of D1 talent. Coaches from Wisconsin, Iowa, and Notre Dame were definitely a larger presense in the school than the U.

Thanks.That's a side I've never heard. Maybe the anomosity went both ways at CDH? The summer after Brewster was hired we heard about an avalanche of state Coaches saying that it was the first time they had heard from the U in years.

I just never thought CDH was a place that was ignored.

I like coach Scanlan's comments. At least there's a glimmer of hope that Seantrel may join the Gophers. And there does seem to be a positive relationship between the Minnesota and Cretin-Derham Hall, which wasn't the case in years past.

That said, in recruiting there's only one winner and it doesn't matter what place you finish, unless it's first. 2nd, third or other finishes are like moral victories, they can't be found on the scoreboard except as a loss.

Let's hope next Wednesday there's a win and not a moral victory in the Henderson recruitment.

Go Gophers!!

I am one of those guys that doesn't/didn't think we had a prayer for Seantrel, however, I do know Mike Scanlan. He really isn't in the business of selling false hope and is one of the most honest (often brutally honest) people I have ever known. If he genuinely didn't think the U had a chance, he wouldn't have said they do.

From someone who knows Mike Scanlan, the chances (in my head) of Seantrel coming to the U just went from .ooo1% to about 5%.

I don't know why people are so pessimistic about the U's chances at Seantrel. Is it because we have always been spurned by the states #1 talent? Is it Minnesota "whoa is me"? I think with each passing day our chances are improving and I think we have a 60-75% of Seantrel becoming a Gopher

Since you bolded my statement, i'll answer your question. For me, I just look at the other programs that are interested in Seantrel (Ohio St., Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame), and I think what they can offer is signifcantly better than the chance to play in front of your hometown. The U has a lukewarm fanbase, a coach on the hot seat, an AD that wouldn't seem competant to hire a good replacement, and less of a chance of playing in big time games.

I just read the article and read all the negative comments posted about our chances. It would be nice if the true Gopher fans could somehow come together and do something tangible in the next week to show Seantrel how much we want him here. But I do not know what. You know Seantrel reads that crap and it has to negatively effect him and it would be nice to combat that. Maybe we could send "fan" letters to Seantrel at CDH care of Mike Scanlan?

I only see the lukewarm fan base. Brewster is not on a hot seat, no matter what the local media wants us to believe. the AD is not going to have to hire a new coach anytime soon. We play USC next year and Texas in the near future and OSU, Penn State, Michigan on a regular basis. We play big games and are on our way to competing with the cream of the crop

I only see the lukewarm fan base. Brewster is not on a hot seat, no matter what the local media wants us to believe. the AD is not going to have to hire a new coach anytime soon. We play USC next year and Texas in the near future and OSU, Penn State, Michigan on a regular basis. We play big games and are on our way to competing with the cream of the crop

Pass the joint this way!

Bankonit, you are absolutely delusional!! Welcome to my ignore button. Every post you create is a complete waste of everyone's time.

nice 18 posts and you are just as delusional if you think this program is not headed in the right direction. Brewster is somehow on a hot seat when he just got a 3 year extension?

Wha...?! Brewster got a three year extension? Last I heard was Maturi running his mouth about one but hesitating to pull the trigger. Besides, that extension would be nothing more than a false vote of confidence to boost recruiting. It'd be highly unlikely that Maturi actually increases that remaining buyout, which means no increase of job security for your boy Brewster.

If you haven't noticed, the recruits are decommitting at a fast pace. I suppose we'll find out next week how we did, but I don't feel good about it. Simply playing USC next year is not an indication that our program is on the rise; we'd have to play well in that game. And what's this Texas talk? You're willing to wait around for Brewster to learn on the job for another 5 years so he can have his shot at Texas in 2015?! Ha! Don't hold your breath bankonit, but that is doubtful.

nice 18 posts and you are just as delusional if you think this program is not headed in the right direction. Brewster is somehow on a hot seat when he just got a 3 year extension?

Right direction? Please elaborate.

4 different OC's in 4 seasons
3 different DC's in 4 seasons (if Cosgrove deosn't bail)
0-3 vs. Wisconsin
0-3 vs. Iowa (without scoring a single freakin' point in 2 of those games)
lost to NDSU
recruits bailing left and right
many high ranking recruits can't get admitted each year
players getting arrested left and right
folks in athletic dept. can't stand Brewster

How is this the "riight direction"?

Besides Huff, Hawkins, and Kip Smith who else bailed that we did not ask to bail? The others were asked to look around and Green did not get admitted to school, that is not a decommit. You have to go after the high risk recruit and hope they can get in, some get in and some don't, every school has that.

I just read the article and read all the negative comments posted about our chances. It would be nice if the true Gopher fans could somehow come together and do something tangible in the next week to show Seantrel how much we want him here. But I do not know what. You know Seantrel reads that crap and it has to negatively effect him and it would be nice to combat that. Maybe we could send "fan" letters to Seantrel at CDH care of Mike Scanlan?

Are you implying that I am not a true Gopher fan because I said Brew is on the hot seat and that I don't trust Maturi to make the right decisions? I'm sorry if the fact that I am living in reality makes me a quasi-Gopher fan in your book.

I actually like Brewster and I don't want him to go anywhere, that doesn't change the fact that he does not have really secure standing at the U. You asked why I didn't think Henderson would end up at the U, and I told you. That doesn't mean that I don't hope that Seantrel ends up here or that I am a fairweather fan, it just means that I can see things without my maroon and gold colored glasses.

how come all the pessimistic people say they are living in "reality" like being optimistic is not "reality"? you are living in the reality of how you view things. In addition saying that you think Seantrel Henderson won't come here does not help him to come here, he reads all the people saying "there is no way he comes here? and do you think that helps him want to commit here? It takes more than 3 years to build a program and Maturi knows that and that is why I don't believe his job is in jeopardy.

Hahaha, bankonit, do you think that you're having an impact on football recruiting by attempting to put a positive spin on everything? Do you think that you can post a message in some thread on GH about how Brewster's job is secure and Seantrel will read it and ultimately decide to choose Minnesota because of your BS post? Hahahaha!! That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

If you want less negativity on here, I'd suggest to stop posting altogether. Your inexplicable, unconditional loyalty to Tim Brewster is getting ridiculous and you setup all the so-called "negative" GHers with slam dunks whenever you post because of the things you say. I was absent for a good month before I stumbled across some outlandish comment you made, then I had to comment. Looks like I'm not the only one you've woken up either.

PS - No poster does more to split the fan base apart here on GH than you do. So please do us all a favor and go on a long hiatus.

how come all the pessimistic people say they are living in "reality" like being optimistic is not "reality"? you are living in the reality of how you view things. In addition saying that you think Seantrel Henderson won't come here does not help him to come here, he reads all the people saying "there is no way he comes here? and do you think that helps him want to commit here? It takes more than 3 years to build a program and Maturi knows that and that is why I don't believe his job is in jeopardy.

I really don't think my post that I don't think there is a good chance that Seantrel comes here has any bearing on his decision. I really doubt he is going to have a list on which school to pick and whether or not the message board rubes think he will choose their school. Seantrel knows that if he picks MN it would be christmas for all of Gopher nation, do you really think he would say, "geez, I want to go to MN but there are some posters on gopherhole who didn't think I would pick the U".

Maybe Brewster's job isn't in jeopardy, I hope it isn't (as i've said three times now), however I think at the very least their is a perception that his job could be in jeopardy. I would imagine that if you ran a poll on this site asking if you thought that Brewster would coach out the remainder of his contract, i'd imagine that 50% or more of the people would doubt that. The perception that Brewster might be on the hot seat, I don't think helps our chances with landing Seantrel.

Anybody else notice Seantrel slipped to #2 on Rivals top 100? Not that this changes anybody's opinion, I just wonder why they would make the change now. It must have been based on Underarmor/Army AA games.

Anybody else notice Seantrel slipped to #2 on Rivals top 100? Not that this changes anybody's opinion, I just wonder why they would make the change now. It must have been based on Underarmor/Army AA games.
Yes, I think it was based on the Army AA game, Ronald Powell was MVP of that game and he's now number 1, seems logical to me.

Tim Brewster's job IS in jeopardy, Henderson probably won't come here, Henderson doesn't care what people on a message board have to say, and bankonit is completely delusional.

Waiting for bankonit's post saying I'm not a true fan because I don't want Brewster or Henderson here, which of course is ridiculous. I hope Henderson comes more than anything, and I hope Brewster stays forever because that would mean we are successful. But I believe neither one will be here a year from now, which makes me a bad fan I guess instead of just a realistic one according to bankonit.

You are either 8 years old or 85, which is it?

How does SH coming to the U of M save brewster's job? Why is 5-7 this fall any better with him than without him? OL is the hardest position to judge future success and there is no linear relationship between inking one 5* recruit and wins.

Top Bottom