Traye to declare for NFL draft?

You mean #15? I about gagged on my coffee when I read this. He is nowhere ready for the NFL.

BPT and I would have something in common

We both will go undrafted in the 2009 NFL draft.

I'm just the messenger. Their opinion, not mine. I don't know the first thing about what makes a NFL CB.

That site is neither updated nor factually correct in may cases.

Why make a post with an eye popping headline and then producing such a terrible source?

Scaring people isn't usually what you're known for as a poster.

Traye was a step up from the last Gopher corner to wear #15, but that's not saying much.

I knew nothing about this web site, never heard of it until I ran into it after doing a Google search. Have no idea whether it's credible or not. I don't make a living deciding what is a credible internet site and what isn't. I saw their note on Traye and figured it was speculation we haven't heard (something we get just a smidge of on chat boards) Gopher fans might be interested in.

Not according to his facebook status:

"BigPlay Traye ain't leavin early 4 da NFL draft. So stop asking!!! I'm comin back 4 that Rose Bowl & to get in that 1st round for next year's NFL draft. Bet that."

BPT has been an upgrade, and I hope he succeeds, but as things stand now - I'll take his bet (1st round?)!

An upgrade, yes.

BPT has been an upgrade, and I hope he succeeds, but as things stand now - I'll take his bet (1st round?)!

I'll take his bet, too. But if he wants to go first round, he needs to make "Big Play" apply only to stopping the offense, not giving up the "big play". At least he lives up to his nickname, just not always as we'd like him to.

Hilarious!!!

BPT will play as many games in the NFL as I did.

ZERO

He must have the same advisor as Rick Rickert.

Memo to BPT: Get your degree son....you will need it.

He's pretty good. He'll get a shot. 1st round??? He could be that good and that still would be a long shot. Bet he gets drafted though if he doesn't get injured next year.

He is probably in the same boat as Wheelwright was last year. He may be a late round draft pick or undrafted at this point. He is all around better off staying in school for the senior year and trying to show more, along with helping the team get better.

I like how OUR fans

are ripping one of the better cover corners we've had here in a long time.

Traye is a solid kid who will only be better next year. I hope he gets a shot at the next level.

Traye is a solid kid who will only be better next year. I hope he gets a shot at the next level.

Not trying to rip Traye at all, just an honest opinion of where he might stand in regard to the draft. I think everyone hopes he gets a good shot for his own sake and the prestige of the school.

That said, other then this article, where has his name been even mentioned as a potential for coming out early and declaring. That is something the top players in the game get mentioned in as a possible option.

I hope this isn't true cause he is my Favorite player.

Getting Better

He will get better next year, if he stays. Regardless of how good he was for us this year (and he was a significant upgrade) he is not first round material, but I hope he will be by the end of next year.

I'm not saying he stinks, but he is a long shot at the very best of playing in the NFL. Being a "solid kid" is nice, but that has absolutely nothing to do with playing at the next level. Like I said, I would worry about getting my degree before worrying about pro football.

accomplice,

You're waaay too sensitive if you misconstrued the earlier comments as "ripping" on BPT, and possibly delusional. Are you considering declaring for the draft as well?

Dom Barber went in the 6th round

Dom Barber went in the sixth round as a safety to the Houston Texans. He didn't get cut, and actually made the team. At the time he was listed at 6'0 and 210 pounds with a 4.58 forty time. Simmons is listed on Rivals as 5'11 with a 4.4 forty time. He has the NFL height and speed for a cornerback. If his forty time is accurate, he is MUCH faster than Dom Barber. If he stays another year and can build up to about 190-200 pounds, he should have a good shot at being a higher round draft pick. Right now (just in my unprofessional, unqualified opinion) he'd probably be a later round pick due to his listed weight of 175 pounds. I'd be willing to bet that he'll end up on an NFL roster at some point in time.

Give the guy a break. He was the best corner we had this season and he honestly may be the best CB that we have had since Mike Lehan. He led the conference in passes defensed. He was 2nd team All Big Ten and the two players in front of him on the 1st team (Jenkins & Davis) will be the first two CB's drafted and will both go in the first round.

Personally, I'd take BPT over Willie Middlebrooks and Denver was dumb enough to draft him in the first round because of his measurable (6'0"+ and 4.4).

BPT is 5'11" and runs a 4.4 so that is pretty close to the NFL prototype. I personally don't think his hips are fluid enough to be a lock down corner in the NFL but he has most of the tools and if he did enter the draft somebody would take him on as a project in the 3rd-5th round. Hopefully he can add some muscle in the S&C program this offseason, he can improve his abilities in run support, and they can work with his hip movement which could ensure he is a first day pick. I don't see him going in round one in 2010 but I do think he can go in round 2-3 next season if he really improves. He will be a pre-season 1st team All Big Ten in 2009.

I hope BPT succeeds, but again, I'll take his bet and anybody else's who thinks he is going to be drafted in the first round.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I like my odds.

I hope BPT succeeds, but again, I'll take his bet and anybody else's who thinks he is going to be drafted in the first round.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I like my odds.

Agreed. He is on pace to be drafted but the only guys that go in the first round are lock down corners (Jenkins) or guys that have all the measurables and a team screws up by believing they can turn him in to a lock down corner (Denver w/Middlebrooks before they fired the secondary coach and traded for Champ Bailey).

unfortunately big play was sometimes making big plays for the other team;)

of course he is a great cover corner, but with that comes a lot of trying to jump routs and cheat and that means getting beat big.

BPT is a great corner

when did he ever give up the big play to the other team? I remember him single handily trying to win the game against Northwestern. He will be on of the if not the best corner in the Big ten next year. He is an SEC talented back and we are lucky to have him. Hopefully he and Paige and Brock can bring the secondary even better next year.

I am sure he got burned, all corners do. I just mean someone made it sound like he was Jamal Harris.

he's certainly not harris. i wouldn't say he got burned a lot (unless that is what i said earlier;)), but when you go for the ball instead of the tackle you are always risking the WR making a big play. i tried to look for a highlight that i remember it happening.

yes he is a great corner.

lol at all you uninformed goofballs claiming BPT has 0 shot at the NFL. He has the height and speed the NFL loves and had some great coverage many times last year. He gave up a few plays but usually locked up on the fastest WR and don't forget that we still had an average at best pass rush and an entirely new secondary which makes communication difficult. He was essentially a rookie against D1 comp and made second team All conference which is pretty good to me. His biggest set back is a lack of strength right now but hopefully an off season in a B10 conditioning program can help that. Kid has a lot of ability and while he probably won't be a 1st or 2nd rounder he could be a solid mid round (3-5) pick

Top Bottom