Report: Urban Meyer knew about 2015 domestic violence incident involving ex-assistant

Well let's clarify then, you talked about Urban not apologizing to Courtney Smith... should he have? If so why?
If you don’t know, there’s nothing I can post that will help you understand.

Why would he tell him about it? The attorneys on the committee said that wasn’t a breach of rule, law, or protocol.
Others aren’t having difficulty seeing this point:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/23/ohio-state-urban-meyer-suspension-contract

As revealed in Wednesday night’s press conference and in the accompanying investigative report, Meyer erred in several ways, including as follows:

• Meyer failed to inform athletic director Gene Smith of Zach Smith’s problematic history when Ohio State hired Zach Smith in 2012 as wide receivers coach. Zach Smith was on Meyer’s Florida coaching staff from 2005 to ’09. In the press conference, Gene Smith observed that a pre-employment background check on Zach Smith failed to reveal that in ’09 Zach Smith was arrested for aggravated battery on a pregnant victim (the victim was Smith’s then-wife, Courtney Smith). Gene Smith was unaware of that important fact when he agreed to hire Zach Smith. Meyer, however, was well aware of this information. Yet Meyer omitted mention of it to Gene Smith in discussions about Zach Smith’s hiring. Stated differently, the limitations of a background check on Zach Smith should not have kept crucial knowledge away from Gene Smith—Meyer should have been simply been more forthcoming with Gene Smith, his superior.

• Meyer failed to inform athletic director Gene Smith of Zach Smith’s problematic history when Ohio State hired Zach Smith in 2012 as wide receivers coach. Zach Smith was on Meyer’s Florida coaching staff from 2005 to ’09. In the press conference, Gene Smith observed that a pre-employment background check on Zach Smith failed to reveal that in ’09 Zach Smith was arrested for aggravated battery on a pregnant victim (the victim was Smith’s then-wife, Courtney Smith). Gene Smith was unaware of that important fact when he agreed to hire Zach Smith. Meyer, however, was well aware of this information. Yet Meyer omitted mention of it to Gene Smith in discussions about Zach Smith’s hiring. Stated differently, the limitations of a background check on Zach Smith should not have kept crucial knowledge away from Gene Smith—Meyer should have been simply been more forthcoming with Gene Smith, his superior.[/I]

Sure.

But why do you want him fired, over that?

Sure.

But why do you want him fired, over that?
Urban Meyer is paid $8 million a year. The standards for performance are high, not only for winning, but for running the program with integrity. He has THE ultimate responsibility to run the program morally, ethically, and by the standards set in his contract. He clearly did not live up to the standards he supposedly set or set by his contract.

I’d be happy to see him fired b/c I believe him to be a fraud when it comes to integrity and moral superiority that he sometimes displays. Read the following link. The articles keep coming:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...oral-high-ground-domestic-assault/1065039002/

Meyer apologists, and there are many, will lean on the fact that an independent investigation concluded that their man neither "condoned or covered up" the domestic abuse by Zach Smith.

Nice try, but no. A man like Meyer, so comfortable in his own greatness that he wrote a book titled “Above the Line: Lessons in Leadership and Life from a Championship Program,” had to do better. After all, he always has portrayed himself as the righteous guy who would do so much more than everyone else.

He has happily spoken out about the transgressions of other coaches, saying nearly a year ago, when the latest men’s college basketball scandal surfaced, that, “if you willfully and intentionally broke the rule or you lie to the NCAA, you can never coach again. … I’m not talking about mistakes made when you have a rulebook like this (thick). But if you intentionally pay a guy money or willfully have a second cell phone to make illegal phone calls, you’re done. You can never coach again.”

My favorite part B/c it’s true:

Meyer goes down in U.S. cultural history as a leader who didn’t do all that he could to stop another man from repeatedly beating his wife, and then easily, willfully lying about it. He can win dozens of football games from now on, but it doesn’t matter. We know exactly who he is.

Last edited:

Urban Meyer is paid $8 million a year. The standards for performance are high, not only for winning, but for running the program with integrity. He has THE ultimate responsibility to run the program morally, ethically, and by the standards set in his contract. He clearly did not live up to the standards he supposedly set or set by his contract.

I’d be happy to see him fired b/c I believe him to be a fraud when it comes to integrity and moral superiority that he sometimes displays. Read the following link. The articles keep coming:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...oral-high-ground-domestic-assault/1065039002/

Meyer apologists, and there are many, will lean on the fact that an independent investigation concluded that their man neither "condoned or covered up" the domestic abuse by Zach Smith.

Nice try, but no. A man like Meyer, so comfortable in his own greatness that he wrote a book titled “Above the Line: Lessons in Leadership and Life from a Championship Program,” had to do better. After all, he always has portrayed himself as the righteous guy who would do so much more than everyone else.

He has happily spoken out about the transgressions of other coaches, saying nearly a year ago, when the latest men’s college basketball scandal surfaced, that, “if you willfully and intentionally broke the rule or you lie to the NCAA, you can never coach again. … I’m not talking about mistakes made when you have a rulebook like this (thick). But if you intentionally pay a guy money or willfully have a second cell phone to make illegal phone calls, you’re done. You can never coach again.”

My favorite part B/c it’s true:

Meyer goes down in U.S. cultural history as a leader who didn’t do all that he could to stop another man from repeatedly beating his wife, and then easily, willfully lying about it. He can win dozens of football games from now on, but it doesn’t matter. We know exactly who he is.

The fixed version reads like this: "Urban Meyer is paid $8 million a year. The standards for performance are high, for winning. He has THE ultimate responsibility to run a winning program, and by the winning standards set in his contract."

I know you want to reject that reality, but that's the way it is.

And I don't think he will care much if you, or the article writer, "know who he really is" when he's hoisting the championship trophy over his head.

The fixed version reads like this: "Urban Meyer is paid $8 million a year. The standards for performance are high, for winning. He has THE ultimate responsibility to run a winning program, and by the winning standards set in his contract."

And I don't think he will care much if you, or the article writer, "know who he really is" when he's hoisting the championship trophy over his head.
He’s a narcissist. It will eat him up that people don’t adore him.

If that makes you feel better then you should believe that. My personal opinion is the opposite.
Give me some articles that defend Meyer that aren’t published in the state of Ohio. I’d love to read them too.

Here’s a couple good ones:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/23/17772912/urban-meyer-zach-smith-ohio-state

And here’s one publish by a Buckeye website:

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2018/8/23/17772188/urban-meyer-ohio-state-suspended-zach-smith

Sure, Meyer will be back on the sidelines when the Buckeyes take on Tulane on Sept. 22, but at what cost? Parts of the report make your head spin. At multiple times it would’ve been apparent to fire Smith, but that never happened. Now, we’ve gone through one of the most surreal months in Ohio State history, that has both tarnished Meyer’s legacy and put the university in a quagmire.

All of this for what, exactly?

Ohio State can let Meyer keep his job and $8 million/year, but it can’t keep a good reputation by letting him keep his job. And Meyer’s reputation and legacy are cr@p.

+12 bottles.

He's paid to win, he's winning and he doesn't care what us peons think of him.

Urban Meyer issues apology to Courtney Smith via Twitter - 8/24/18

3:01 PM - 24 Aug 2018

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer issued a statement on relationship violence on Friday in which he apologized to the wife of former assistant coach Zach Smith.

Meyer is currently on suspension, along with athletic director Gene Smith, following an investigation into how both handled domestic abuse allegations against Zach Smith in 2015. Zach Smith was investigated by Powell, Ohio police and never charged, but Meyer and Gene Smith were found to not have followed reporting procedures to the letter of their employment contracts when finding out about the allegations three years ago.

They were also found to have ignored repeated red flags from Smith in both his personal life and work performance for years up until he was fired on July 23.

When asked on Wednesday, following the announcement of his suspension, if he had any message for Courtney Smith, the victim of Zach Smith's alleged abuse, Meyer said: "Well, I have a message for everyone involved in this. I'm sorry we're in this situation. And, um ... I'm just sorry we're in this situation."

Those comments drew criticism in the days following, leading up to Meyer's statement on Friday evening, released through his Twitter account and a university release. It read:

My words and demeanor on Wednesday did not show how seriously I take relationship violence. I sincerely apologize. I was taught at a very young age that if I ever hit a woman, I would be kicked out of the house and never welcomed back. I have the same rule in my house and in the football program at Ohio State. Over the years, we have worked hard to educate and remind our coaches and players of the seriousness of relationship violence.

"I understand my lack of more action in this situation has raised concerns about this commitment. I once again apologize for this, and I extend my empathy to all women, men and families who are affected by relationship violence. This has been a real learning experience for me. I fully intend to use my voice more effectively to be a part of the solution.

"Let me say here and now what I should have said on Wednesday: I sincerely apologize to Courtney Smith and her children for what they have gone through."

https://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/08/ohio_state_coach_urban_meyer_a.html

So much fake outrage.

Meyers didn’t believe there was an assault in 2009 and the wife elected to not press charges. Got counseling.
Meyer didn’t believe there was an issue in 2015, along with his wife and the police. No arrest or charges.
Toxic relationship. Friends, police, her mother, OSU coaches and admin apparently have reason to doubt her stories.

Stamping your feet and yelling doesn’t change the above. Posting equally ridiculous hyperbole from the SB or SI writers is sad. I can form my own opinions based on available data.

3:01 PM - 24 Aug 2018

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer issued a statement on relationship violence on Friday in which he apologized to the wife of former assistant coach Zach Smith.

Meyer is currently on suspension, along with athletic director Gene Smith, following an investigation into how both handled domestic abuse allegations against Zach Smith in 2015. Zach Smith was investigated by Powell, Ohio police and never charged, but Meyer and Gene Smith were found to not have followed reporting procedures to the letter of their employment contracts when finding out about the allegations three years ago.

They were also found to have ignored repeated red flags from Smith in both his personal life and work performance for years up until he was fired on July 23.

When asked on Wednesday, following the announcement of his suspension, if he had any message for Courtney Smith, the victim of Zach Smith's alleged abuse, Meyer said: "Well, I have a message for everyone involved in this. I'm sorry we're in this situation. And, um ... I'm just sorry we're in this situation."

Those comments drew criticism in the days following, leading up to Meyer's statement on Friday evening, released through his Twitter account and a university release. It read:

My words and demeanor on Wednesday did not show how seriously I take relationship violence. I sincerely apologize. I was taught at a very young age that if I ever hit a woman, I would be kicked out of the house and never welcomed back. I have the same rule in my house and in the football program at Ohio State. Over the years, we have worked hard to educate and remind our coaches and players of the seriousness of relationship violence.

"I understand my lack of more action in this situation has raised concerns about this commitment. I once again apologize for this, and I extend my empathy to all women, men and families who are affected by relationship violence. This has been a real learning experience for me. I fully intend to use my voice more effectively to be a part of the solution.

"Let me say here and now what I should have said on Wednesday: I sincerely apologize to Courtney Smith and her children for what they have gone through."

https://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/08/ohio_state_coach_urban_meyer_a.html
But Slab of Bacon said there was no reason for him to apologize. :confused:

And Pompous says he did nothing wrong. Why would he apologize?

2 days too late btw.

But he really really really means it this time.

So much fake outrage.

Meyers didn’t believe there was an assault in 2009 and the wife elected to not press charges. Got counseling.
Meyer didn’t believe there was an issue in 2015, along with his wife and the police. No arrest or charges.
Toxic relationship. Friends, police, her mother, OSU coaches and admin apparently have reason to doubt her stories.

Stamping your feet and yelling doesn’t change the above. Posting equally ridiculous hyperbole from the SB or SI writers is sad. I can form my own opinions based on available data.

So, in your mind, if nothing happen why did the coach get fired and why did Meyer get suspended? Did Ohio State just make it all up to appease the feminist-nazis? And why did Meyer accept the punishment and apologize if nothing happen? Since Meyer wasn’t convicted of a crime he could not have done anything wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does three games fit the crime? He lied to press at the Big 10 Media Day, denied there was nothing to talk about. He was covering up the story of abuse, and what has been shown to be miss use of a credit card to take high school coaches to strip bars. Smith miss practices, ordered sex toys ship to the Woody Hayes Center. Had an affair with a lady at the Center. Took photos of his junk at the Center and at The White House. And if you read the full 23 page report it and more is there. The investigation found grounds that could have lead to grounds to fire or ask for his resignation, but no. He is winning on the field and bringing in millions of dollars. So rather than slap him with a meaningful punishment they kissed him on the cheek and gave him kind of a three game suspension.

Flash back to the Tattoo Parlor and the exchange of game swag for discounted tattoos. Tyrler Pryor was given 5 games for his involvement. And for his cover up and lying to investigators Jim Tressel was let go.

If you follow twitter, some have cartoons of an ostrich labeled OSU Board with its head in the sand. And others have suggest The OSU should change their change from O H I O to Hit her again, Hit her again, Harder, Harder. His name is now Urban Liar.

If there aren't some decommitments I will be surprised. How could a mother send her son to Urb.

Does three games fit the crime? He lied to press at the Big 10 Media Day, denied there was nothing to talk about. He was covering up the story of abuse, and what has been shown to be miss use of a credit card to take high school coaches to strip bars. Smith miss practices, ordered sex toys ship to the Woody Hayes Center. Had an affair with a lady at the Center. Took photos of his junk at the Center and at The White House. And if you read the full 23 page report it and more is there. The investigation found grounds that could have lead to grounds to fire or ask for his resignation, but no. He is winning on the field and bringing in millions of dollars. So rather than slap him with a meaningful punishment they kissed him on the cheek and gave him kind of a three game suspension.

Flash back to the Tattoo Parlor and the exchange of game swag for discounted tattoos. Tyrler Pryor was given 5 games for his involvement. And for his cover up and lying to investigators Jim Tressel was let go.

If you follow twitter, some have cartoons of an ostrich labeled OSU Board with its head in the sand. And others have suggest The OSU should change their change from O H I O to Hit her again, Hit her again, Harder, Harder. His name is now Urban Liar.

If there aren't some decommitments I will be surprised. How could a mother send her son to Urb.
Tressel didn’t lie to investigators. He lied on a standard form that all head coaches are to sign that says they’re not aware of NCAA violations. When asked directly, he admitted that wasn’t true. Small detail.

His punishment was harsh b/c Mark Emmert, NCAA President, wanted to clean up college sports and he was going to use Tressel as an example. NCAA violations occur all the time, especially in the SEC, and coaches know this. Free meals, $100 handshakes are easy for boosters to give and conceal with little evidence to prove it occurred. The bigger the program, the more it happens.

Still, it was wrong and he paid a heavy price.

As always, there is a middle ground.

You can believe, as Pompous does, that the incidents with the former coach and his wife were blown out of proportion, and that the ex-wife may have exaggerated or falsified some of her claims.

And, you can also believe that Urban Meyer and Ohio State did not handle the situation very well.

In the end, I think a 3-game suspension is probably a fair solution to a bad situation. there is plenty of reasonable doubt on both sides. And, like it or not, money talks, and Meyer's program brings in a lot of money to the University. If the Coach was named Joe Schmoe, and the team was coming off a 6-6 season, I suspect there would have been a different outcome.

But, no matter your viewpoint, the situation is a black eye for OSU and Meyer. But, if the Buckeyes win 10 or 11 games, most OSU fans will be happy. On the other hand, if they win 8 games, the background noise will get a lot louder.

As always, there is a middle ground.

You can believe, as Pompous does, that the incidents with the former coach and his wife were blown out of proportion, and that the ex-wife may have exaggerated or falsified some of her claims.

And, you can also believe that Urban Meyer and Ohio State did not handle the situation very well.

In the end, I think a 3-game suspension is probably a fair solution to a bad situation. there is plenty of reasonable doubt on both sides. And, like it or not, money talks, and Meyer's program brings in a lot of money to the University. If the Coach was named Joe Schmoe, and the team was coming off a 6-6 season, I suspect there would have been a different outcome.

But, no matter your viewpoint, the situation is a black eye for OSU and Meyer. But, if the Buckeyes win 10 or 11 games, most OSU fans will be happy. On the other hand, if they win 8 games, the background noise will get a lot louder.
Sorry SON, that’s hogwash.

Meyer repeatedly mishandled Zach Smith’s misdeeds over a 9 year period. Numerous times. He protected him. The evidence was overwhelming and most people that have familiarized themselves with the report and watched the press conference are appalled by Meyer and Ohio State’s punishment.

So, in your mind, if nothing happen why did the coach get fired and why did Meyer get suspended? Did Ohio State just make it all up to appease the feminist-nazis? And why did Meyer accept the punishment and apologize if nothing happen? Since Meyer wasn’t convicted of a crime he could not have done anything wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An accumulation of demerits, like a lot of other firings. He was arrested in 2018. I’d guess it was time.

That’s a lot of unproven allegations and mostly unknown (to Urb) infractions in one paragraph. He’s not a babysitter. Smith was fired. Maybe not soon enough knowing everything in hindsight.

The accuser herself says she did not tell anyone anything until the couple were separated and divorcing in 2015. Couple that with no arrests, an apparently not quite believable witness, and Urban’s apparent loyalty to his mentor and it snowballed.

The ire should be properly directed at Smith, particularly if guilty of battering his wife, and the police. How would firing him earlier (without cause, mind you) have helped end the abuse or helped his family? Yes, perhaps she would have left him earlier. I tend to think his heart was in the right place by getting counseling, arranaging for substance abuse rehab, and not kicking people to the curb at the first opportunity. He was the first coach Meyer has fired.

Zach Smith was the longest tenured assistant coach on the staff, the only remaining coach of his original Ohio St staff, and the only coach to work with Meyer at both Florida and Ohio St.

That may tell you something about Meyer and Zach Smith

Zach Smith was the longest tenured assistant coach on the staff, the only remaining coach of his original Ohio St staff, and the only coach to work with Meyer at both Florida and Ohio St.

That may tell you something about Meyer and Zach Smith

What does it tell me?

Meyer repeatedly mishandled Zach Smith’s misdeeds over a 9 year period. Numerous times. He protected him. The evidence was overwhelming and most people that have familiarized themselves with the report and watched the press conference are appalled by Meyer and Ohio State’s punishment.

AND ... you can be appalled, and then recognize that the magnitude of his misdeeds does not warrant firing him.

A suspension was appropriate, and that was the outcome.

You refuse to stop slamming your fists into the table, but you have yet to even come close to making an argument for why what he did warrants firing. Other than, I guess, because you don't like him and he's not coming to your bday party?

Top Bottom