Annexstad Named Starting QB for NMSU Game

What happens on a low snap when ZA bobbles it and it falls to the ground and he tries to pick it up but it rolls away and NMSU recovers?

What happens if the NMSU coachs pulls out a rifle and shoots ZA at the 50 yard line? Or what happens if ZA throws an interception on the 4th play?

Whatever happens when the lights come on and the games begin and the rubber hits the road over the next few months, you have to like and have some respect for a guy that turned down scholarships to play for the hometown team. He definitely has a pocketful of goodwill to begin his tenure. Obviously him being a Minnesotan is a point of pride for fans. Definitely pulling for Zach to pull off a storybook freshman year, even though my expectations are for some mild to moderate inconsistency. The offense is a work in progress.

Starting a true freshman makes me a little nervous (not so much the 'walk-on' thing for reasons we all know), but here is why I'm also a little encouraged: I think throughout the off-season, most of us were fairly comfortable with Morgan being the starter and assumed he would fare better than what we saw last year. Combined with that, it would have been very "easy" for Fleck to just name Morgan the starter for the first game if neither QB really separated themselves in camp because of the extra year in the program. It think this decision pretty much solidifies the fact that ZA must have CLEARLY been the better QB in practice.

Crossing my fingers...

Wow, what some people won’t dream up just to bash PJ or his judgement. This sure reflects on this age of believing what you want instead of what is really happening.
The reports were telling us how Zack was developing very quickly and had better performance. Zack has proven that he is a major league competitor and wins in situations where he was a major underdog. That is the ideal personality that you want as a leader for the team. An “I will make it happen” attitude. Yes, Morgan was in the system last year, but he didn’t play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's strange because he will be the 2nd true freshman walk-on QB in the history of major college football to start in his first game. I don't get what's so hard to grasp about the rarity of this.

Yes, but it’s important not to conflate the ideal of a “rare talent” with the reality that “it’s rare for a P5 program to be so devoid of older QBs”.

you have to like and have some respect for a guy that turned down scholarships to play for the hometown team.

Well I’m guessing that PJ sold him on getting a scholarship as soon as possible, and that he would get to travel as the emergency 3rd strong and run the scout team this fall with no pressure.

Really doubt ZA committed having any expectation of playing let alone starting this fall.

Well I’m guessing that PJ sold him on getting a scholarship as soon as possible, and that he would get to travel as the emergency 3rd strong and run the scout team this fall with no pressure.

Really doubt ZA committed having any expectation of playing let alone starting this fall.

Which will be two years. That's why he gave one to his brother now.

There is a lot of positive vibes in GH about ZA. He hasn't even played a snap in the B1G. This is a good omen. Could we be seeing the development of another Lindsay Whalen story? Who knows.

Watching him get command and attention of the WRs is fascinating. IMHO, he has a few more checks on the decision matrix than Tanner Morgan. Announcing ZA as the starter early is a good move. Why wait?

Tanner Morgan better be ready and maintain the right attitude continue to develop and put the team first ahead of his individual aspirations.

This is how this team will win - through leadership and selfless play. Is this part the HYPRR culture? Carter Coughlin is a good example of the kind of selfless leader you'd want every player to be.

TEAM FIRST.

Last edited:

No, I really think Zack thought he was going to be the starter! The kid has proven that he can overcome challenges. He had the determination to go to IMG and compete and beat out much higher rated QB’s. A true “get er done” mentally.

Which will be two years. That's why he gave one to his brother now.

No it will be this winter. No idea if they’ll continue to honor Brock’s scholarship, or if Brock will “voluntarily” give his up for Zach.

No, I really think Zack thought he was going to be the starter! The kid has proven that he can overcome challenges. He had the determination to go to IMG and compete and beat out much higher rated QB’s. A true “get er done” mentally.

Appreciate this sentiment, and absolutely have to tip your hat to ZA for taking on this challenge. Enrolling early to go through spring ball and winter workouts. That’s big time.

I can prove nothing, of course. But my intuition is that ZA was planning on being behind VV and Tanner, when he committed. In fact, Seth Green was probably still considered a QB back when ZA committed, but Fleck might have known back then that he was being switched.

Run the scout team, like Tanner did last year, and get to travel with the team as emergency QB. Get a fall under your belt, fight for the job next spring.

That’s my guess. We’ll probably never know. ZA might not even admit that if asked now. He might say he was always going for he starting job from last spring, to portray confidence now.

Appreciate this sentiment, and absolutely have to tip your hat to ZA for taking on this challenge. Enrolling early to go through spring ball and winter workouts. That’s big time.

I can prove nothing, of course. But my intuition is that ZA was planning on being behind VV and Tanner, when he committed. In fact, Seth Green was probably still considered a QB back when ZA committed, but Fleck might have known back then that he was being switched.

Run the scout team, like Tanner did last year, and get to travel with the team as emergency QB. Get a fall under your belt, fight for the job next spring.

That’s my guess. We’ll probably never know. ZA might not even admit that if asked now. He might say he was always going for he starting job from last spring, to portray confidence now.

You think he enrolled early because he thought he had a good chance to develop into the #3 QB?

Wow, what some people won’t dream up just to bash PJ or his judgement. This sure reflects on this age of believing what you want instead of what is really happening.
The reports were telling us how Zack was developing very quickly and had better performance. Zack has proven that he is a major league competitor and wins in situations where he was a major underdog. That is the ideal personality that you want as a leader for the team. An “I will make it happen” attitude. Yes, Morgan was in the system last year, but he didn’t play.

If that ain’t the kettle...

I don’t recall many reports saying he was clearly better. PJ said it was neck and neck until yesterday.

I think one point being missed is that the Annexstad family has a fair amount of money. I'm guessing the cost of sending their kids to the University of Minnesota doesn't really alter their life at all, so the scholarship, albeit nice, isn't as important to them as it is to most college students.

I'm happy they want to be Gophers, that is really cool. If it works out for him, even better. My expectations are that he will be capable of winning games and making some big plays. If he isn't, I'd like to see Morgan, but being as I've never seen either of them in my life, I'll trust Fleck and his staff.

I think one point being missed...

No.

No, that has not been missed.

That has been pretty much beaten to death here in a relatively short amount of time.

And it's pretty easy for people to assume what other families can or should do with their money.

but being as I've never seen either of them in my life, I'll trust Fleck and his staff.

They've seen both in spring practice and fall camp. But no one has seen either in a game, let alone a Big Ten game. So I just don't buy that Morgan won't see non-mop up reps with the offense early in the season.

Gotta get both a chance to show what they got, at a minimum in the NM St game. Fresno game, I can buy it more ... because we gotta have that one. Miami OH, back to NM St philosophy. Then comes Big Ten season...

No.

No, that has not been missed.

That has been pretty much beaten to death here in a relatively short amount of time.

And it's pretty easy for people to assume what other families can or should do with their money.

I was just going to say something, but your post summed it up exactly.

Guys, I think it was a pretty innocuous comment. He was just saying they can afford to send both sons to the U of Minn. I would like to assume that if neither played football, they'd still happily pay for both sons to receive a fantastic education at the U.

I don't think that's anyone telling them what they should do with their money ... most people like to pay for their children to go to school, if they can afford it.

Moving on ...

From T-Docious:
wish i was better at searching this forum so I could find an old post of mine letting you know my source said ZA had a real shot at starting this year. I was chastised up and down that thread...

Oh well, bygones be bygones. Apology accepted.

Found it. From April 4th...

Zack taking second team snaps from Vic and Fleck saying it's truly a three person battle.
like i said in another thread. Zach will be pushing our guys. The real mankato jesus
WUCK FISCONSIN and all that they stand for.

Last edited:

I'm very excited for the Annexstad Era but I wouldn't bet the farm he starts the Opener just yet...

I'd be willing to bet you do not even have a farm. :)

Unless Annexstad plays lights out every single game this will be a continuing argument. Many of you have an attachment to Morgan just like you did with Croft. BTW, undoubtedly since this is college football, we will need both to play well throughout the course of the season. Hopefully two will be enough.

I'd be willing to bet you do not even have a farm. :)

Unless Annexstad plays lights out every single game this will be a continuing argument. Many of you have an attachment to Morgan just like you did with Croft. BTW, undoubtedly since this is college football, we will need both to play well throughout the course of the season. Hopefully two will be enough.

This is a great post. Very likely to be true.

He's an 18 year old, true freshman. It's a guaranteed fact, that he's going to make mistakes. He'll probably have bad throws, even interceptions against NM St. *shock, horror* He needs the opportunity to make mistakes, and learn from them! Fleck said nearly that exact thing.

Of course I don't. And I didn't say that. So, no reason for you to make that up.

Reads like you did to me...First line of second paragraph of your post...

I can prove nothing, of course. But my intuition is that ZA was planning on being behind VV and Tanner, when he committed.

Reads like you did to me...First line of second paragraph of your post...

I can prove nothing, of course. But my intuition is that ZA was planning on being behind VV and Tanner, when he committed.

That reads to you like wanting to develop into a 3rd stringer?? Not sure what else I can do for you, if you honestly think that.

No one wants to develop into a 3rd stringer. Everyone wants to develop into a starter. And there is a natural progression, a path that has to be walked, to get there, for most people. What I clearly said, was that ZA seems like a guy who is willing to do the right thing, walk that path, grow into the position.

The Morgan story will end like the Croft story. Hope he doesn't pout and end up in Fleck's doghouse like Croft. We will need both this year, don't want to lose Green as a receiver.

You are probably right. When you have a coach that treats his players like children they tend to act that way. These guys are young men, not "kids".

That reads to you like wanting to develop into a 3rd stringer?? Not sure what else I can do for you, if you honestly think that.

No one wants to develop into a 3rd stringer. Everyone wants to develop into a starter. And there is a natural progression, a path that has to be walked, to get there, for most people. What I clearly said, was that ZA seems like a guy who is willing to do the right thing, walk that path, grow into the position.

It's called sarcasm.

Top Bottom