Souhan: Minnesota athletic director faces issues regarding coach Tim Brewster

The answer, if you need it spelled out for you, is this: The players he has already recruited aren't good enough to carry the program.

Nice. Hopefully our young student athletes do not read the paper. If anyone had the slightest wonderment as to why Brewster wants to distance our kids from this media group, this should help to turn on that light bulb.

Here is a list of the top 50 JUCO players in the country per Rivals....I'd say almost every one of the schools are BCS. Should Mark Richt be fired at Georgia because he is still recruiting JC? Souhan is uneducated and should stop trying to cover college football.

Prospect Ranking
Rivals.com junior college top 50 2010 | Rivals.com Football Recruiting | last sorted on 12/13/2009

2010 Rank Pos Ht/Wt Schools
1 Cameron Newton
Brenham (TX) Blinn C.C. QB 6-6/247 list
2 Jakar Hamilton
Milledgeville (GA) Georgia Military College DB 6-2/196 Georgia
3 John Cullen
Fullerton (CA) Fullerton C.C. OL 6-6/280 list
4 Scott Smith
El Dorado (KS) Butler County C.C. DE 6-7/275 Texas Tech
5 Randall Mackey
Scooba (MS) East Mississippi C.C. ATH 6-0/190 Ole Miss
6 Bruce Irvin
Walnut (CA) Mt. San Antonio C.C. LB 6-2/235 Arizona State
7 Lavonte David
Fort Scott (KS) Fort Scott C.C. LB 6-1/214 Nebraska
8 James Carmon
Perkinston (MS) Gulf Coast C.C. DT 6-7/370 Mississippi State
9 Brice Schwab
San Marcos (CA) Palomar C.C. OL 6-8/320 USC
10 Kenbrell Thompkins
Torrance (CA) El Camino C.C. WR 6-3/190 Tennessee
11 Roszell Gayden
Visalia (CA) College of the Sequoias OL 6-7/310 Auburn
12 Glen Stanley
Thatcher (AZ) Eastern Arizona J.C. LB 6-2/245 UCF
13 Jermarcus Hardrick
Fort Scott (KS) Fort Scott C.C. OL 6-7/315 Nebraska
14 Dequan Menzie
Wesson (MS) Copiah-Lincoln C.C. DB 5-11/200 list
15 Wayne Dorsey
Perkinston (MS) Gulf Coast C.C. DE 6-8/255 Ole Miss
16 Mike Harris
Torrance (CA) El Camino C.C. DB 6-0/185 Florida State
17 Devonta Bolton
Scooba (MS) East Mississippi C.C. LB 6-4/230 Alabama
18 Lamar Holmes
Fulton (MS) Itawamba C.C. OL 6-6/335 Southern Miss
19 Brandon Mosley
Coffeyville (KS) Coffeyville C.C. TE 6-6/285 Auburn
20 Malcolm Murray
Walnut (CA) Mt. San Antonio C.C. DB 6-2/205 list
21 Jonathan Mathis
Brenham (TX) Blinn C.C. DT 6-3/292 list
22 Matangi Tonga
San Mateo (CA) College of San Mateo DT 6-2/280 list
23 Michael Lindsey
Senatobia (MS) Northwest Mississippi C.C. WR 6-3/200 list
24 Toquavius Gilchrist
El Dorado (KS) Butler County C.C. LB 6-2/230 South Carolina
25 Anthony Young
San Marcos (CA) Palomar C.C. DB 5-9/180 Iowa State
26 Damien Jackson
Perkinston (MS) Gulf Coast C.C. DB 6-3/195 Ole Miss
27 Marquis Jackson
Santa Clarita (CA) College of the Canyons DE 6-4/240 UCLA
28 Chase Harper
Corsicana (TX) Navarro J.C. TE 6-5/251 Nebraska
29 Joel Bonomolo
Fullerton (CA) Fullerton C.C. DE 6-3/245 Auburn
30 Perry Jackson
Roseville (CA) Sierra C.C. DE 6-2/250 San Diego State
31 Ryan Clanton
San Francisco (CA) City College of San Francisco OL 6-5/305 Oregon
32 George Bell
Chula Vista (CA) Southwestern C.C. WR 6-3/195 Arizona State
33 John Brown
Booneville (MS) Northeast Mississippi C.C. DT 6-2/285 Tennessee
34 Robert Griffin
Corsicana (TX) Navarro J.C. OL 6-6/355 Baylor
35 Tyrone Crawford
Bakersfield (CA) Bakersfield C.C. DE 6-5/258 Boise State
36 Chris Young
Athens (TX) Trinity Valley C.C. WR 5-11/185 Iowa State
37 Derek Earls
Wahpeton (ND) North Dakota State College of Science LB 6-4/225 Arizona
38 Adam Davis
Hutchinson (KS) Hutchinson C.C. DE 6-1/249 Kansas State
39 Dave Clark
Independence (KS) Independence C.C. DB 6-2/190 Kansas
40 Willie Mobley
Costa Mesa (CA) Orange Coast C.C. DT 6-2/275 Arizona
41 Donald Langley
Wesson (MS) Copiah-Lincoln C.C. DT 6-2/290 Texas Tech
42 David Mahoney
Woodland Hills (CA) Pierce C.C. DT 6-2/285 list
43 Javonta Boyd
El Dorado (KS) Butler County C.C. DT 6-4/302 Kansas State
44 Kelvin Bolden
Perkinston (MS) Gulf Coast C.C. WR 6-0/165 Southern Miss
45 Star Lotulelei
Ephraim (UT) Snow College DE 6-4/290 Utah
46 Tobais Palmer
Milledgeville (GA) Georgia Military College ATH 5-11/166 N.C. State
47 Quinn Mecham
Ephraim (UT) Snow College QB 6-2/195 Kansas
48 Brandon Lewis
Scooba (MS) East Mississippi C.C. DT 6-3/275 Alabama
49 Dexter Ransom
Brenham (TX) Blinn C.C. WR 6-4/217 Arizona
50 Ken Adams
Wesson (MS) Copiah-Lincoln C.C. TE 6-5/240 Tennessee
ntry and the schools they committed to per rivals..

Souhan's the same guy who after the Iowa game on one of his little telechats with Reusse flat out said "I'm tired of talking about it."

And yet here you are again.......

Score three more points against Illinois and we're not talking about this.

Score one more point against Tech and we're not talking about this.

Does anyone think that the general public actually prefers all of these negative articles? The majority of our "journalists" are like this guy. I feel like Minnesotans must love these kind our writers, because there wouldn't be so many employed if we didn't. To me, it makes no sense. I would much rather read something positive about our student athletes, I just don't get why they are always tearing down the U, regardless of facts or insight.

I can't believe this terd muffin gets paid to do this. I wonder what the comments are online for this article. I would figure if he, or any retard media member, recieved enough public backlash they would cool off a bit. Power to the people

Score three more points against Illinois and we're not talking about this.

Score one more point against Tech and we're not talking about this.

This point is a toughie because on the flip-side, a few less points vs. 'Cuse or Air Force or SDSU, and this board would be going crazy.

I will refrain from starting a firestorm with my thoughts on the piece (although one may already be underway) ... the Gray point, I'm sure, was an honest mistake. As many have pointed out, he's been on campus for 2 years.

It's the lack of logic he uses, Doogie

First - I admire the way you come on board here and engage with us 'amateurs'. With that, I do have soem very very pointed criticisms of your colleague! take it for what it is worth:

With J Souhan, it's not an honest mistake that has us in an uproar (imho). Anyone can make a mistake, and the one with Gray was as you say, an easy one to make.

The problem is bigger. It's his lack of logic. Witness the comment about excessive JC recruiting. I just do not remember Glen being castigated for bringing in Antoine Burns. Or Rhys Lloyd. or even Brylee Callendar or Logan Uu for God's sake!

And the intellectual laziness when he essentially just re-capitualtes what he has been saying on the radio and in his columns for 2-3 months at least. Souhan is entitled to his opinion. People can read it or not, and engage in opinions on its value, or not. His opinion is after all very well known and has been expressed voer as I say, quite a bit of bandwidth. Why does it need to be re-stated, other than because he has an axe to grind?

You may disagree with that assessment. But you might ask yourself, deep down. You are trying to make a living at writing, and seem to be doing allright. Cool. But --> all of us have finite resources. Think about this. Why should any of us pay for recycled claptrap and poorly-thought out, illogical articles like Souhan just wrote? What is the purpose of using a business model which naturally torks off more than half of your constituency? Imho, Mr. J.S. is letting his emotional/visceral dislike of Brewster rule his columns and his scope of work. I don't know, I don't know the guy like you do. But what he did today is as the science fiction author Larry Niven has said is the ultimate sin for any writer paid for his work. He has totally wasted my time.

Now of course your mileage, as they say, may vary. As for me, I will never intentionally shell out a single nickle for anything Souhan writes. Obviously that includes dropping my Strib subscription.

And ,a s J.S. said in another context, "I'm tired of (talking) about this topic!!!!!

Although I am positive many Gopher fans will say what an idiot Souhan is and how he hates the Gophers, that article is spot on and unfortunately for us Gopher fans is a concise, well-written article. I think we are better off with Brewster than having Maturi find us another coach.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the article itself, but know Brew has his blind supporters on here and Souhan and Reusse will always be considered 'idiots' who 'have it in for Brew.' The reality is that Souhan's take more closely resembles that of most Gopher fans, just not the 300-400 that comprise most of this site.

In the end, his biggest point was that Maturi's 'dithering' was the worst of the 3 choices and that even an extension was preferable to doing nothing. Isn't that what most of us have been saying? The only thing I'll critisize Souhan on is the timing of this. Maturi's 'D-Day' with Brewster passed about 2 weeks ago. If he had any inclination to fire him, he should have done it already. Since he hasn't it's time to move on. So we're down to two choices, continue dithering or give him an 'empty' extension. Depending on who you believe this has already been done. And based on all the commits this week, Brew either does have an extension or is able to recruit inspite of Maturi's dithering.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the article itself, but know Brew has his blind supporters on here and Souhan and Reusse will always be considered 'idiots' who 'have it in for Brew.' The reality is that Souhan's take more closely resembles that of most Gopher fans, just not the 300-400 that comprise most of this site.

In the end, his biggest point was that Maturi's 'dithering' was the worst of the 3 choices and that even an extension was preferable to doing nothing. Isn't that what most of us have been saying? The only thing I'll critisize Souhan on is the timing of this. Maturi's 'D-Day' with Brewster passed about 2 weeks ago. If he had any inclination to fire him, he should have done it already. Since he hasn't it's time to move on. So we're down to two choices, continue dithering or give him an 'empty' extension. Depending on who you believe this has already been done. And based on all the commits this week, Brew either does have an extension or is able to recruit inspite of Maturi's dithering.

I'm not a blind Brewster supporter, and I don't think anyone that posts here is, at least I haven't seen it. However, at this time I'm for Brewster staying and receiving a short extension (not over 2 years).

Yes, Souhan did make the point that Maturi was dithering, and concluded that Brewster should receive an extension, because it's better than the alternatives. But the rest of the article presented only negative views of Brewster's tenure. He didn't balance it with any positive views that would support is conclusion to extend Brewster's contract. It was a lazy piece that didn't present anything knew, had factual errors, and showed a shallow understanding of college football. A casual fan reading that article would most likely think Brewster should be fired, not extended. It was a confusing, negative and poorly formed article.

First - I admire the way you come on board here and engage with us 'amateurs'. With that, I do have soem very very pointed criticisms of your colleague! take it for what it is worth:

With J Souhan, it's not an honest mistake that has us in an uproar (imho). Anyone can make a mistake, and the one with Gray was as you say, an easy one to make.

The problem is bigger. It's his lack of logic. Witness the comment about excessive JC recruiting. I just do not remember Glen being castigated for bringing in Antoine Burns. Or Rhys Lloyd. or even Brylee Callendar or Logan Uu for God's sake!

And the intellectual laziness when he essentially just re-capitualtes what he has been saying on the radio and in his columns for 2-3 months at least. Souhan is entitled to his opinion. People can read it or not, and engage in opinions on its value, or not. His opinion is after all very well known and has been expressed voer as I say, quite a bit of bandwidth. Why does it need to be re-stated, other than because he has an axe to grind?

You may disagree with that assessment. But you might ask yourself, deep down. You are trying to make a living at writing, and seem to be doing allright. Cool. But --> all of us have finite resources. Think about this. Why should any of us pay for recycled claptrap and poorly-thought out, illogical articles like Souhan just wrote? What is the purpose of using a business model which naturally torks off more than half of your constituency? Imho, Mr. J.S. is letting his emotional/visceral dislike of Brewster rule his columns and his scope of work. I don't know, I don't know the guy like you do. But what he did today is as the science fiction author Larry Niven has said is the ultimate sin for any writer paid for his work. He has totally wasted my time.

Now of course your mileage, as they say, may vary. As for me, I will never intentionally shell out a single nickle for anything Souhan writes. Obviously that includes dropping my Strib subscription.

And ,a s J.S. said in another context, "I'm tired of (talking) about this topic!!!!!

very well stated.

Not that everyone (myself included) hasn't weighed in on this a dozen times already.. but I'll go ahead and reiterate my opinion of the extension:

I don't think it would be prudent to give Brewster an extension with real "teeth" at this time. His record just does not warrant it. I don't care about empty cupboards anymore. Almost all of the 2006-2008 class of new coaches have done much better (in years 2 through 5) regardless of how empty or full their cupboard was. The few who have done worse have been fired (see Steve Kragthorpe and Ron Prince) or given an "empty" extension (see Dan Hawkins).

I really do hope that Brewster succeeds in 2010, and then we can all feel much better about giving him a more genuine extension.

On the other hand, a long-term extension with high buyout implications (which I don't think anyone here is advocating) could be a real albatross around this program's neck for several years if Brewster can't improve things.

The solution: either fire Brewster for a marquee coach that is in the bag (we don't have one or this would have already happened), or give him an additional year on the contract without too-much buyout exposure. The latter appears to be in the works.

The only question now is timing. If the outcome of the Insight Bowl is not relevant to the decision, than the extension should have been done in late November or early December (and saved a lot of that Kansas crap). The fact that Maturi is apparently waiting until after the Insight Bowl indicates to me that the outcome of that game will have some bearing on his decision - which is kind of a scary thought.

Again, nothing new here, just my thoughts on the question of extension.

As far as Souhan is concerned - I will agree that this is lazy journalism. This is not a very pertinent topic right now. Ten days ago or in the week following the bowl - yes, but not right now.

Wouldn't it be nice to have local sports journalists who information that is not already widely known on message boards (aka their "sources") or provided insight that wasn't inspired by the degree to which the coach does or does not stroke their precious little egos?

3 recruits out of 25 are JC guys, each of them at a position of need and in the case of Lewis and Eure, likely slated to be starters come the fall. Yep, that's really heading to the JC ranks.

Oh, and it's one more than last year and half as many as 2008.

I wonder if Souhan writes these in his bathrobe and boxers. I don't mind what he says, but it's just flat-out lazy journalism. Look something up if you are trying to make a strong case.

EDIT: 3 JC guys in Mason's last class as well (Cooley, Robertson, and Callendar).
IIRC we need to add Small, UU, and Onwuachi (plus I think I'm forgetting a LB) to Mason's JC recruits. IIRC The last year Mason was coach, there was an LB coach that had strong connections with staffs at western JC's.

I'm not Brewster's biggest fan

but because I hate Reusse and Souhan so much, I find myself starting to pull for Brewster more.

At this point, it would be great to see Brewster have an 8 or 9 win season just so he could force those both of those guys to eat s**t. The only downside is that Reusse would probably enjoy it - especially if it were deep fried.

The timing of the article was definately poor. It almost appears to have been written 2-3 weeks ago and submitted to fill a column he didn't have time for. It didn't even mention the Kansas fiasco, which is really the only reason to bring this up again at this time. The D-Day is passed. Time to move on.

Is this nothing more than a cut and paste from a previous Souhan article? He must have been up against a deadline so he went back to the "Fire Brewster" well again!

"He has recruited one superlative athlete". I am glad Souhan has such the eye for talent that he already has this figured out. No matter most of Brew's recruits are in their first or second years. Besides Cooper, others such as Jewhan, Carter, Stoudermire, Kirksey, and Wilhite have shown that they could be "superlative"players

"after two years on campus". Perhaps Souhan neglected to notice that Gray was not on the team last year.

And the title makes it look like there is some new "breaking news" issue or scandal. Nope, just Souhan deciding it was time to ride Brew and Maturi again.

Lazy journalism. Same re-hashed story he has written many times before, and will write again. I am sorry I wasted my time reading it. I really am curious what Brewster would need to do to make he and Reusse happy.

There are so many fallacies in his article that it is almost comical if it weren't so sad and pathetic. The very sad part is that readers of the star tribune actually believe this stuff.

I guess according to Jim 2nd year players should be carrying a team, and especially 2nd year players that are really only 1st year players(Gray)

The part that bugs me most is the recruiting -- he makes it sound as if Brewster has recruited one good player (Gray) and a bunch of slouches. What he doesn't bother to mention is that Brewster's first "class" consisted of Mason's leftover recruits and a few guys he could scrape together at the last second. Most of Brewster's recruits at this point are redshirting, true freshmen with limited roles (as it should be) and sophomores with emerging roles (as it should be...Green, Wilhite etc.). I can't stand the way he bends and omits facts.

Then, he makes the claim that recruiting JC guys is a sign the program is in dire straits.
I looked at that list of top 50 JC recruits...I noticed USC, Georgia, Alabama among many other mid to high tier BCS programs. Are those programs in shambles? No. Souhan is setting up a straw man here.

IIRC we need to add Small, UU, and Onwuachi (plus I think I'm forgetting a LB) to Mason's JC recruits. IIRC The last year Mason was coach, there was an LB coach that had strong connections with staffs at western JC's.

Good points. It was unclear from Rivals who recruited whom in Mason's last/Brewster's first class of 2007 so I left that out of my comparison and went with the last class totally attributable for Mason.

I believe your impression is correct. Small committed before Mason was fired, but I wasn't clear on who recruited and signed Mark Cheatham, Durell Clark-James, and Logan Uu. I can't find anything on Rivals about Onuwachi as to when he committed. The Rivals site is misleading because it shows signing dates of before Mason's firing, but has Brewster assistants as being the person recruiting the player.

Not that everyone (myself included) hasn't weighed in on this a dozen times already.. but I'll go ahead and reiterate my opinion of the extension:

I don't think it would be prudent to give Brewster an extension with real "teeth" at this time. His record just does not warrant it. I don't care about empty cupboards anymore.
The solution: either fire Brewster for a marquee coach that is in the bag (we don't have one or this would have already happened), or give him an additional year on the contract without too-much buyout exposure. The latter appears to be in the works.

Again, nothing new here, just my thoughts on the question of extension.

As long as we are rehashing opinions - One viewpoint that I feel has been lacking on the short term, minimal buy out discussion is anything related to whether Brewster would accept it or not. If he feels like he deserves a "real" extension getting him to sign a no-confidence extension may not be be an easy task for Maturi. It MAY be far from a slam-dunk.

As long as we are rehashing opinions - One viewpoint that I feel has been lacking on the short term, minimal buy out discussion is anything related to whether Brewster would accept it or not. If he feels like he deserves a "real" extension getting him to sign a no-confidence extension may not be be an easy task for Maturi. It MAY be far from a slam-dunk.

This is a VERY good point and one that people seem to lose. We have no idea what Brewster is looking for. He might want a 5-year $1.5 million per year deal with a large buy-out clause. We simply don't know.

If I'm Brewster and I'm feeling confident that 2010 will be a MUCH better year (and what is Brewster if he's not optimistic?), then I think I would say no to a short-term extension without much buyout money. I'd roll the dice and gamble that the great 2010 season will result in much more leverage and money.

On the other side, we don't know what Maturi is willing to offer at this time either.

I know everyone likes to think that Maturi is a blundering idot, but I think he can make a better decsion with a handle on the facts than any of us can speculate about absent the facts.

So I guess you have about 50,000 friends that are all Gopher fans and you talk to them on a consistent basis? Because that's the only way you would know what other Gopher fans are thinking.

Secondly, I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't dislike Souhan and Reusse because they hate Brewster. I can't stand their articles because:
a) they're practically the same thing, beating a dead horse. Why not come up with something creative? It's like the person in your office that complains about the weather every day during the winter.
b) many times have incorrect information (Gray comment)
c) many times only give half the story or only look at the negative side.
d) doesn't do much or any research. The Juco comments in this article were flat out wrong and many have shown it already. Top programs do recruit Juco's. Hayo Carpenter last year had offers from schools like Florida, Boise St., and Oregon St.

So I guess you have about 50,000 friends that are all Gopher fans and you talk to them on a consistent basis? Because that's the only way you would know what other Gopher fans are thinking.

Secondly, I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't dislike Souhan and Reusse because they hate Brewster. I can't stand their articles because:
a) they're practically the same thing, beating a dead horse. Why not come up with something creative? It's like the person in your office that complains about the weather every day during the winter.
d) doesn't do much or any research. The Juco comments in this article were flat out wrong and many have shown it already. Top programs do recruit Juco's. Hayo Carpenter last year had offers from schools like Florida, Boise St., and Oregon St.

Or you could look for instance at the Star Tribune website which has a poll on Brewster and over 70% of the people want him fired. It can be argued that those people are not "fans", but it does give a pretty good representation of what many minnesotans think.

... the Gray point, I'm sure, was an honest mistake. As many have pointed out, he's been on campus for 2 years.

What is up with this? He is on campus for a few weeks, his ACT score is flagged, he gets sent home. Passes the ACT test again and enrolls in Jan. '09 (little less than one year ago). How does this add up to two years on campus? Near as I can tell he has completed two semesters.

This "fact" was used this to bolster his "point". Hardly an honest mistake.

With all the other inaccuracies pointed out, I find it surprising no one has pointed out Souhan's continued love for Mike Dunbar, calling him a competent OC. All one has to do is go back to last year and look at the results of the last few games to see just how wretched our offense was then too. There is a reason Brewster moved on from him. Whether it was the best move or not, the fact is our offense was putrid then as well. If Fisch is overmatched, then so was Dunbar.

And if you're goign to continue to propagate this story of Brewster yelling at Maturi in every single article you write, Jim, I think it's high time you prove it happened or get some back up. Because it is a ridiculous story that could mean 1000 different things, yet you continue to throw it out over and over as a fireable offense.

What is up with this? He is on campus for a few weeks, his ACT score is flagged, he gets sent home. Passes the ACT test again and enrolls in Jan. '09 (little less than one year ago). How does this add up to two years on campus? Near as I can tell he has completed two semesters.

Yet when Brewster makes an honest mistake to bolster his point, (i.e. winning at Iowa as a player or Julius Peppers playing for Dean Smith) it is okay for him because it is just an honest mistake. So Brewster can make honest mistakes but others cannot, got it. It was honest mistakes by both Brewster and Souhan.

Not exactly. But I do know that most casual Gopher fans I know only care if they win, if they embarrass themselves off the field and if the coach seem to have a clue. They don't care a lick where his recruiting classes rank.

Most of these folks think Brew is a blow-hard and it's hard to argue that most of the time. Take a look at the poll on the Strib website. 75% say fire him. I don't even agree at this time. But don't brush that off by saying 'everyone that votes on those polls is a moron' etc. The Strib, whatever it's faults, probably has 1,000x the traffic of this website and is much more representative of the casual Gopher fan, who admittedly would be hard-pressed to name more then 5 players on the team. This website is made of much more hard-core fans who Brew has obviously done a better job of winning over.

I agree that Souhan is beating a dead horse in this case. But generally he's still a decent writer, Gophers or otherwise. This column had some errors, but he's a columnest not a beat writer and he's not writing to the Gopherhold audience. It doesn't matter whether Gray's been on campus for 2 years or not, it doesn't change his point. The JUCO thing is a bit more relevant and he should have chosen a different point there. Reusse is past the point of no return with Brew, but is still generally decent on other subjects, and downright excellent at times.

Yet when Brewster makes an honest mistake to bolster his point, (i.e. winning at Iowa as a player or Julius Peppers playing for Dean Smith) it is okay for him because it is just an honest mistake. So Brewster can make honest mistakes but others cannot, got it. It was honest mistakes by both Brewster and Souhan.

Saying something off the cuff and writing something for publishing are worlds apart. Being about the same age as Brewster, I can state with some experience, that 30 year old memories are not always sharp.

OK, on campus was a bit too strong.

For the sake of argument, if Gary Patterson was hired instead of Brewster are we having this discussion?

Sorry, was half-distracted earlier, I agree that Gray, as Jim wrote, has not been "on campus" for 2 years.

Top Bottom