What grade would you give the Gophers Class of 2018 Recruiting Class?

What grade would you give the Gophers Class of 2018 Recruiting Class?

• A

Votes: 104 59.1%
  • B

Votes: 65 36.9%
  • C

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
If I give it an 'A' and they go on to average 6 wins over the next five seasons, was I wrong?

If I give it a 'C' and they go on to average 8 wins over the next five seasons, was I wrong?

I'm glad in real life, the letter grade doesn't matter, because we only went from a C to a B by your account.

As I've stated here already. If we are grading by how it compares to the rest of the FBS teams, then it is in the C to B area. Really can't say for sure right now since there is another signing window in Feb.
If we are grading based on how we have filled needs, then it is a B to an A.
If we are grading based on how it compares to previous Gopher classes, then it is an A.

If we are grading based on how it compares to previous Gopher classes, then it is an A.

Even though we have no idea how much contribution these guys are going to provide towards the number of wins that are accrued over the next five seasons?

I am not good with crooting, I've no idea if these guys are good or what. But just going by rankings and such they look good and as a reasonable step forward in recruiting PJ & Co. have come through so far.

Even though we have no idea how much contribution these guys are going to provide towards the number of wins that are accrued over the next five seasons?

Yes,
I put all players from each recruiting class over the past 10 years into Madden using their player rankings. Simulated the games and 2018 came out as the winner, beating the 2016 class, to go undefeated, by 10 pts. in head to head match up. They had close calls with the 2008 and 2013 classes and the 16 team split with those two.

As I've stated here already. If we are grading by how it compares to the rest of the FBS teams, then it is in the C to B area. Really can't say for sure right now since there is another signing window in Feb.
If we are grading based on how we have filled needs, then it is a B to an A.

"Comparisons will rob you of your joy" ~ PJ Fleck, quoting Theodore Roosevelt

I've gone A based on context.

Huge achievement keeping recruits from the SE with SEC offers after a 5 win season. Addressed significant areas of need especially QB, receivers and lineman.

Clear endorsement that students and their families are buying into Fleck's energy and vision.

Well done to all the coaches for giving Gophernation reason to be optimistic.

I went with A. If you grade on a curve and say that 20% of all teams have to fall in each letter grade, that would put the top 26 teams with an A. So we just made the cut. ;)

IMO you grade recruiting classes based on relative talent and program need. The fact that Ohio State signed a couple 5-stars and like 15 4-stars doesn't factor into how MN is graded for their recruiting class.

I give MN an A:
By all measures, the collective talent in this class is the highest rated since they started rating them. They had significant need at QB, WR, OL, and DL. So they got the California Offensive Player of the Year at QB and the best WR, OL, and DL class in MN modern history. Talent and need.

The fact that Fleck can walk into IMG Academy and get players buzzing about MN is an achievement unto itself. In this class alone, the school produced 1 5-star and 9 4-star recruits (including MN signee Curtis Dunlap).

Have to go with A. Fleck is getting men who 'Look good coming off the bus' as Mase would say.

PJ referred to Faalele in this regard today.

Said he's going to be walking off the bus right with me.

Evidently 6'9" - 400 lbs looks good coming off the bus.

For those of you who are saying B or lower: What would be an A?

Won't happen: but a bunch of 4 and 5-star recruits including one of the two or three best running backs, tight ends, QBs, corner backs, linebackers and defensive ends, plus a safety at the same level. game-changing running and QBs.

Won't happen: but a bunch of 4 and 5-star recruits including one of the two or three best running backs, tight ends, QBs, corner backs, linebackers and defensive ends, plus a safety at the same level. game-changing running and QBs.

So which teams of the 130 FBS schools scored an A today?

Yes,
I put all players from each recruiting class over the past 10 years into Madden using their player rankings. Simulated the games and 2018 came out as the winner, beating the 2016 class, to go undefeated, by 10 pts. in head to head match up. They had close calls with the 2008 and 2013 classes and the 16 team split with those two.

So as long as these "player rankings" are higher than they've ever been, you don't care how many wins this class accrues?

A lot of people wanted to rip him for the 5-win season and rightfully so, but this was truly the first real test to see how PJ Fleck is doing and what he is bringing to Minnesota and I think a lot of people will be surprised at the talent he was able to bring to Minnesota.

Great job to coach Fleck and his entire staff!

So as long as these "player rankings" are higher than they've ever been, you don't care how many wins this class accrues?

Don't hijack this thread with your obsession with "player rankings"
Of course wins matter, but since this class hasn't played any games for the U of M, you can't really rank them along those lines. We would need to wait 5, 6 or 7 years before we could get a true barometer of the class. Heck even that would be hard, because each win would have to be divided up based on how many recruits from each class played in each win. If you want to figure all that out each season, you go for it and let the rest of use know what you come up.

Don't hijack this thread with your obsession with "player rankings"
Of course wins matter, but since this class hasn't played any games for the U of M, you can't really rank them along those lines. We would need to wait 5, 6 or 7 years before we could get a true barometer of the class. Heck even that would be hard, because each win would have to be divided up based on how many recruits from each class played in each win. If you want to figure all that out each season, you go for it and let the rest of use know what you come up.

This...who knows how the class will pan out. This could be a number one ranked team in College Football in 4-5 years from now. I'm just happy with the class we got and commend the staff and players on this as the players also play a major role in recruiting players.

OK.

We have no idea how the class will pan out.
Would have to wait 5-7 years to star to have an idea.

but ..... this is definitely the best class ever signed by Minnesota!! No question!

OK.

We have no idea how the class will pan out.
Would have to wait 5-7 years to star to have an idea.

but ..... this is definitely the best class ever signed by Minnesota!! No question!

I don't understand how you can be so dense? This is a really good recruiting class on signing day. That is how we can rate it based on today when the poll was posted. We all know that we will look back on this class in a few years and we will have a better idea how it panned out but at this point in time it is a really good class by Minnesota standards. I want to be excited about it and worry about whether or not these kids end up living up to their potential in a few years.

A great class some solid athletes, but it's no osu or Penn state class hence it's not an A

This has to be the dumbest take I’ve seen in awhile. Right there with Demry Croft has the tools to be the best Minnesota QB in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best recruiting class in modern history for the Gophers and there are Gopher fans who say it’s not an A, that’s rich. Don’t let the pessimism ruin your fanhood [emoji16]. I know, I know, you’re just being real [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Best recruiting class in modern history for the Gophers and there are Gopher fans who say it’s not an A, that’s rich. Don’t let the pessimism ruin your fanhood [emoji16]. I know, I know, you’re just being real [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Definitely not an A. Everybody who rated this an A has accepted mediocrity. You could maybe argue A- because it is a really good recruiting class for us, but it could obviously have been better so you can't rate it an A.

Definitely not an A. Everybody who rated this an A has accepted mediocrity. You could maybe argue A- because it is a really good recruiting class for us, but it could obviously have been better so you can't rate it an A.

So you are telling me that at the start of the Fleck era, you expected a better than a top 30 ranked class with more impressive offer lists. You must be one tough hombre to please.

So you are telling me that at the start of the Fleck era, you expected a better than a top 30 ranked class with more impressive offer lists. You must be one tough hombre to please.

Not what I said at all. I actually expected him to do worse (as in I thought at least a few of these recruits wouldn't sign today), I'm definitely impressed and pleased. That doesn't make it an A. If you think this is an A class you are settling for mediocrity, plain and simple. I expect him to improve next year and even the year after. Once he has a class that likely can't be improved upon, that will be the A class.

My two cents, it's the best class we've had in a long time, it's roughly around the middle of the pack for the league but above average for the P5. I'll go B+

For me, giving it an A is simple. The class far exceeded my expectations. I couldn't have imagined this class looking as good as it has.

That said, if Fleck isn't competing for top 5 BT classes consistently from this point on, I'll be very disappointed.

A. There are many unhappy head coaches tonight who didn't get our recruits and would have loved to have. That's a change, bigly.

Top Bottom