I have realized something about Gopher Football and Minnesota in general!

began11

GOPHER11
Reaction score
Let me first say that I live in Minneapolis and I am a huge Gopher football fan and season ticket holder! However, over the past year I have trolled various message boards of our competitors before each of our games... and it has not been pretty. They think when you land in Minneapolis it is just a bunch of corn fields and ice! I was just on Kansas's message board and they act like Minnesota is on the same level as NDSU or SDSU. I guess I never realized how badly other fans think of our program and our state. Michigan has a nice little nickname for us, "LOLphers", and they all commented how "Cute" our little stadium is. We have one of the biggest colleges in the country and we are the laughing stock. Things need to change and the University needs to put its money where its mouth is. Who knows maybe Brewster will pull it all together next year and we can get this program back to where it should be...very doubtful! I am sick and tired of taking crap from the hicks in Iowa and the Wisonsinites! GO GOPHERS!

true that. It's time to put up, take a risk, make the investment, make it happen. or get out, and make dick head happy and join the crappy league to the west.

Let me first say that I live in Minneapolis and I am a huge Gopher football fan and season ticket holder! However, over the past year I have trolled various message boards of our competitors before each of our games... and it has not been pretty. They think when you land in Minneapolis it is just a bunch of corn fields and ice! I was just on Kansas's message board and they act like Minnesota is on the same level as NDSU or SDSU. I guess I never realized how badly other fans think of our program and our state. Michigan has a nice little nickname for us, "LOLphers", and they all commented how "Cute" our little stadium is. We have one of the biggest colleges in the country and we are the laughing stock. Things need to change and the University needs to put its money where its mouth is. Who knows maybe Brewster will pull it all together next year and we can get this program back to where it should be...very doubtful! I am sick and tired of taking crap from the hicks in Iowa and the Wisonsinites! GO GOPHERS!

Have you ever been to Kansas? Outside of Lawrence it's like the land that time forgot. Seriously, it's terrifying....

I'm with you, though I try and keep the Minnesota inferiority complex in check. I just keep telling myself that one day, very soon, we'll have competitive football and basketball programs about which we can all be proud.

And then relentlessly mock whichever of the Iowa/Wisconsin/Michigan/Kansas programs sucks the most.

I wouldn't go that far. Our university is 61 on US World News Ranking. It's our football program that is the laughing stock, and is close to the level of NDSU / SDSU. And, I have always heard great things about Minnesota when I travel, and judging by these rankings http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2009/city/minneapolis-st-paul , we're doing great in a lot of areas.

And as far as the cold goes, one can't stop that.

I wouldn't go that far. Our university is 61 on US World News Ranking. It's our football program that is the laughing stock, and is close to the level of NDSU / SDSU. And, I have always heard great things about Minnesota when I travel, and judging by these rankings http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2009/city/minneapolis-st-paul , we're doing great in a lot of areas.

please! based on your stellar posting history here on GH something tells me that when you use the word "our" when referring to gophers sports and yourself - as if you are a true fan and supporter (and not just an internet flamer trying to get a rise out of people) - that it is just about as disingenuous as it gets.

please! based on your stellar posting history here on GH something tells me that when you use the word "our" when referring to gophers sports and yourself - as if you are a true fan and supporter (and not just an internet flamer trying to get a rise out of people) - that it is just about as disingenuous as it gets.

haha, who are you? Internet flame wars, FTW? Weren't you just banned?

Depending on the year and the enrollment trends we are the #1 through #5 sized university in the country. We need to have our pay scale for our football and basketball coaches in line with our peers; Ohio State, Arizona State, Texas, Florida, etc. It will take some time, but if that is our investment, we should resume our rightful place on the national scene in the future.

It does seem that simple doesn't it GGR. And maturi is worried about a pissant 800K buyout. Extend him, if he can't do it fire him. Take the hit. We're a big boy university, let's make big boy decisions.

Depending on the year and the enrollment trends we are the #1 through #5 sized university in the country. We need to have our pay scale for our football and basketball coaches in line with our peers; Ohio State, Arizona State, Texas, Florida, etc. It will take some time, but if that is our investment, we should resume our rightful place on the national scene in the future.

but we need to make sure we keep fielding women's rowing, gymnastics, women's hockey, etc., etc. those are the real money makers. what's next a curling team? maybe badmitton (sp)?

hey - i have a great idea. let's build a separate hockey rink for frickin' women's hockey. that will bring in the dough! :rolleyes:

It does seem that simple doesn't it GGR. And maturi is worried about a pissant 800K buyout. Extend him, if he can't do it fire him. Take the hit. We're a big boy university, let's make big boy decisions.

couldn't agree more. maturi is such a spineless, gutless turd of an AD

OTOH, that spineless, gutless, turd of an AD got you an on-campus stadium when no one else could. Not to mention that previous ADs never saw the need for it.

This seems to be the consensus and fairly obvious. Why does Maturi still (or even to begin with) command the post? Does the Prez put less of an emphasis on the AD as other B10 universities? Is it a budget play? It just seems like we have a milk-toast on our hands. Yeah, yeah, yeah...Tubby Smith...but that seems like it fell on his lap.

i do like maturi, but I am not happy about this situation. I believe Brewster is doing the only thing he can do given the situation. It shouldn't be the right thing for him to do. But it is. Just think about that. Brewster, unproven, reviled by many, thinks the best thing for him to do is move on and leave the University behind. A guy like brewster should be clinging to this opportunity like it's a hundred bucks and his favorite prostitute will be at his door in ten minutes. Instead he's cutting bait. What does that say about us?

OTOH, that spineless, gutless, turd of an AD got you an on-campus stadium when no one else could. Not to mention that previous ADs never saw the need for it.

Shhhhh....

We're fighting each other tonight. Can we get a raincheck on fighting with rival posters?

I hope you're just venting and actually understand that we shouldn't so much as take a sip of coffee because people on out-of-state message boards say it's the right thing to do. BTW, if you lived in Iowa you'd have to take advice from Minnesotans on message boards.

Brewster is T-66 on the list of 100 highest paid coaches.

Some interesting schools/coaches ahead of that spot:
(Granted some incentives might not be included, but the list seems pretty legit)

Hawaii pays their coach $1.1 Mil, so does Tulsa, (100k more than MN)
Duke pays David Cutcliffe $1.5 Mil, that's right, DUKE
Danny Hope opened at $1.25 for Purdue
June Jones $2 Mil at SMU
Mangino was at $2.3 at Kansas
Ferentz is $3.03 Mil, but we knew that

Only 4 BCS schools that pay the coach less than MN

West Virginia(probably soon to change)
Northwestern(soon to change)
Indiana(not to change)
Washington St(might change with a new hire)

http://www.americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegehighestpaidcoaches.html

Next time the U needs to hire someone don't turn it into a glorified shopping trip for the wife during the interview.

This reminds me of another thread where G4L was crying b/c someone made fun of our raised floor when he went to a bar to watch a game.

but we need to make sure we keep fielding women's rowing, gymnastics, women's hockey, etc., etc. those are the real money makers. what's next a curling team? maybe badmitton (sp)?

hey - i have a great idea. let's build a separate hockey rink for frickin' women's hockey. that will bring in the dough! :rolleyes:

They don't make money, but I think most would say that they are important to have, and they all have been successful, much more so then the football team.

(Insert probable chauvinistic grrr only major mens sports matter response here.)

Brewster is T-66 on the list of 100 highest paid coaches.

Some interesting schools/coaches ahead of that spot:
(Granted some incentives might not be included, but the list seems pretty legit)

Hawaii pays their coach $1.1 Mil, so does Tulsa, (100k more than MN)
Duke pays David Cutcliffe $1.5 Mil, that's right, DUKE
Danny Hope opened at $1.25 for Purdue
June Jones $2 Mil at SMU
Mangino was at $2.3 at Kansas
Ferentz is $3.03 Mil, but we knew that

Only 4 BCS schools that pay the coach less than MN

West Virginia(probably soon to change)
Northwestern(soon to change)
Indiana(not to change)
Washington St(might change with a new hire)

http://www.americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegehighestpaidcoaches.html

Next time the U needs to hire someone don't turn it into a glorified shopping trip for the wife during the interview.

Um, I wouldn't have paid a coach with no coordinator experience more than this. Plus, Brew said from Day 1 that he was taking less money to hire better coordinators. I don't disagree that on the scale of BCS coaches we pay less...but that should only change if 1) Brew starts winning and deserves it or 2) he gets fired and we need to hire a good coach.

As for some of the examples above, they aren't good comparisons b/c of the situations:
Duke: It's David F-ing Cutliff. QB guru and offensive whiz. You can't get a coach like that to come to Duke unless you pay him.
Kansas: Mangino won them an Orange Bowl. Nuff said.
SMU: June Jones had Hawaii into a BCS bowl. No small feat. Also, SMU is chock full of rich boosters willing to pay to get the team back to the glory days of winning championships like they did before the program got the NCAA death penalty.
Iowa: Completely confused how Ferentz gets added to the discussion with his success.

They don't make money, but I think most would say that they are important to have, and they all have been successful, much more so then the football team.

(Insert probable chauvinistic grrr only major mens sports matter response here.)

don't need to. you just said it for me. thanks!

I am trying to remain neutral on Brew still to this point...but I am going to be a little bit jealous of Louisville hiring Charlie Strong tomorrow or later this week...

Um, I wouldn't have paid a coach with no coordinator experience more than this. Plus, Brew said from Day 1 that he was taking less money to hire better coordinators. I don't disagree that on the scale of BCS coaches we pay less...but that should only change if 1) Brew starts winning and deserves it or 2) he gets fired and we need to hire a good coach.

As for some of the examples above, they aren't good comparisons b/c of the situations:
Duke: It's David F-ing Cutliff. QB guru and offensive whiz. You can't get a coach like that to come to Duke unless you pay him.
Kansas: Mangino won them an Orange Bowl. Nuff said.
SMU: June Jones had Hawaii into a BCS bowl. No small feat. Also, SMU is chock full of rich boosters willing to pay to get the team back to the glory days of winning championships like they did before the program got the NCAA death penalty.
Iowa: Completely confused how Ferentz gets added to the discussion with his success.

Doesn't look like paying those coordinators worked out too well. Is it possible that they low-balled anyone that was a coordinator, Charlie Strong, Lane Kiffin, Bob Stoops 10 years ago? Maybe MN should "pay to get them back to the glory days of winning championships"

I know who David F***ing Cutcliffe is. Don't you find it alarming that Duke(and Hawaii pays more also) will pony up for someone proven and the U probably won't again next time. My examples were because MN is supposed to be a BCS school. Maybe they should act like it.

Once Paul Wulff gets canned only Indiana will pay someone less in a BCS conference. Not the end you want to be on.

Doesn't look like paying those coordinators worked out too well. Is it possible that they low-balled anyone that was a coordinator, Charlie Strong, Lane Kiffin, Bob Stoops 10 years ago? Maybe MN should "pay to get them back to the glory days of winning championships"

I know who David F***ing Cutcliffe is. Don't you find it alarming that Duke(and Hawaii pays more also) will pony up for someone proven and the U probably won't again next time. My examples were because MN is supposed to be a BCS school. Maybe they should act like it.

Once Paul Wulff gets canned only Indiana will pay someone less in a BCS conference. Not the end you want to be on.

I would agree that the coordinator thing didn't work. That doesn't change the fact that this is part of why Brewster is making less.

As for where we stand in comparison to other schools, no, I don't find it alarming. Because Brew doesn't deserve to earn more. If they get rid of him and low ball someone else then yes, I'll be alarmed. But they chose to get an unproven coach and paid him a salary to match his (in)experience. In the end you're not comparing apples to apples with your examples. Cutliff is a proven commodity and is able to command a price that matches it. Hawaii is an odd outlier in this whole convo...Lord knows why Hawaii bothered to pay their coach that much given the fact that their athletic department is losing millions each year. Brew's situation isn't the same as Cutliff's, Jones', or Mangino's because he wasn't proven. Critique the decision to pay less for a new head coach all you want...that ship has sailed. This is all pointless unless Brew wins or gets fired.

However, should he get fired then I agree that the U has to pony up to hire a good coach (emphasis on the coaching part of the coach title) to replace him. We are a BCS school with good facilities and if we pay like a BCS school we should be able to get a good coach in here.

First of all, welcome back, Bronko. I know some people think you might have been banned for issues dealing with self-control, rational thought, and anger management, but I don't think that's fair at all. Like with Tiger, I'm going to respect your need for privacy. Just glad you didn't end up buried in the end zone of TCF Bank Stadium like our own Jimmy Hoffa because of those obvious issues.

Secondly, I'd like to put a little gray shading into your extremely black and white world. There's a thing out there called Title IX. It's a federal law. It states basically that males and females have equal opportunities in education and activities in institutions that receive federal money. I think most people with a daughter in sports would think Title IX is a good law.

The U of M has added some sports because of Title IX. They need to balance the number of scholarships men and women receive. Some schools, like Wisconsin, did it by cutting men's sports like baseball. Our university did it by adding women's sports like rowing. Since college athletics are also about personal growth and providing opportunities, I'm glad the U of M is taking this approach. Just because you'll never see me out on the banks of the Mississippi watching a rowing race, isn't any reason to deny those athletes a scholarship or a chance to be a college athlete.

I'll also add that TCF Bank Stadium probably doesn't get built without Title IX. It was partially (mainly?) sold on the idea that the U of M needs more football revenue. Yes, it's needed to support other sports, but it's still needed, and a new stadium would help with that. To keep twisting the connections, football is the sport that has made it difficult to comply with Title IX. It's easy to balance basketball, hockey, baseball/softball, etc., but how do you balance a sport women generally don't play but gives out 85 scholarships? Women's rowing and soccer, perhaps? Since there is a balance now, you won't have to worry about all of that money you give going to badmitton someday.

Got to basically agree with you on the need for Ridder Arena, but there's a rather prominent Minnesota family associated with the name. If you notice, Bronko, there's about an equal number of women around. Their support of our university is awfully important even if they obviously don't count for much in your world.

This has amazed me as I've moved around the country: generally smart people think Minneapolis is basically in Canada - even though its probably about five hours South.

First of all, welcome back, Bronko. I know some people think you might have been banned for issues dealing with self-control, rational thought, and anger management, but I don't think that's fair at all. Like with Tiger, I'm going to respect your need for privacy. Just glad you didn't end up buried in the end zone of TCF Bank Stadium like our own Jimmy Hoffa because of those obvious issues.

Secondly, I'd like to put a little gray shading into your extremely black and white world. There's a thing out there called Title IX. It's a federal law. It states basically that males and females have equal opportunities in education and activities in institutions that receive federal money. I think most people with a daughter in sports would think Title IX is a good law.

The U of M has added some sports because of Title IX. They need to balance the number of scholarships men and women receive. Some schools, like Wisconsin, did it by cutting men's sports like baseball. Our university did it by adding women's sports like rowing. Since college athletics are also about personal growth and providing opportunities, I'm glad the U of M is taking this approach. Just because you'll never see me out on the banks of the Mississippi watching a rowing race, isn't any reason to deny those athletes a scholarship or a chance to be a college athlete.

I'll also add that TCF Bank Stadium probably doesn't get built without Title IX. It was partially (mainly?) sold on the idea that the U of M needs more football revenue. Yes, it's needed to support other sports, but it's still needed, and a new stadium would help with that. To keep twisting the connections, football is the sport that has made it difficult to comply with Title IX. It's easy to balance basketball, hockey, baseball/softball, etc., but how do you balance a sport women generally don't play but gives out 85 scholarships? Women's rowing and soccer, perhaps? Since there is a balance now, you won't have to worry about all of that money you give going to badmitton someday.

Got to basically agree with you on the need for Ridder Arena, but there's a rather prominent Minnesota family associated with the name. If you notice, Bronko, there's about an equal number of women around. Their support of our university is awfully important even if they obviously don't count for much in your world.

Bronko is the dad who when his daughter asks to play hockey or basketball says, no honey girls sports are stupid, go put on your cheerleader outfit and makeup and be a real girl....

Something tells me he his still single and will be for quite a while.....

The U is rated in tier 1 at #61, NDSU is in tier 3 and SDSU in tier 4. The football program is mediocre, but not a laughing stock. Don't mistake smack talk for a genuine assessment. There are a lot of football teams more laugh-worthy than ours.

And we do have winters in Minnesota, but winters in the Twin Cities aren't much different than winters in any other northern city. They aren't exactly sitting on the beaches sipping Mai Tais on the shores of Lake Michigan. International Falls is a long ways away.

The U is rated in tier 1 at #61, NDSU is in tier 3 and SDSU in tier 4. The football program is mediocre, but not a laughing stock. Don't mistake smack talk for a genuine assessment. There are a lot of football teams more laugh-worthy than ours.

A true "laughing stock" football program would be euphoric about back to back bowl games.

I have watched and listened to way too many OSU, Michigan, Wisonsin, and Iowa fans come in here and talk about how bad our fans and facilities are. The only thing this school needs is a new baseball stadium and a basketball practice facility and it will be on par with some of the best facilities in the nation. TCF stadium maybe on the small side but it is a "Taj Mahal" compared to some of the erector set stadiums in the big ten and sec. We just need a little time to get the ball rolling with Football and with Tubby here we will be a sweet sixteen contender in basketball again. I know it is hard because as GOpher fans we have been very patient and have sat back for many years and watched Wisconsin and Iowa clobber our teams and go to New Years day bowls. It is tough because Minneapolis has twice as much to do with pro teams and everything else compared to Iowega and other big ten cities. If our teams don't win then we can just go to the next team or event. Iowega fans have nothing else but corn and pigs so they follow their team no matter what. I can't wait until the day we go to a New Years day bowl and finally get this great school and state back to where it needs to be!

Top Bottom