Pioneer Press

Maximus

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/ci_13953385

High comedy. I believe 1 percent of this at this point but imagine the local media tripping over themselves to get the scoop....

-----------------------

Maturi, who said he wants and expects Brewster to return to Minnesota next season, said he asked Brewster about the rumors but did not point-blank ask Brewster if he were interested in the job.

"I'm smart enough to know that (Brewster's) not going to tell me; nor is the athletic director (Lew Perkins) at Kansas going to tell me until it's a done deal," Maturi said early this afternoon, adding that Kansas had not contacted him. "I chatted with (Brewster) about it very, very briefly. I told him I'm getting tired of all of these Kansas calls. That's kind of been my conversations with him. I know how the game is played. I know how it is. I'm respectful of that. I'm not going to believe the rumors until they're fact. I'm not going to knee-jerk react one way or the other because of it."

---------------

Is this an "extend me now" ploy?

When these coaching vacancies come up, there are usually dozens of names that surface. So it wouldn't be a shock to me if Brewster's name hasn't come in in discussions about a number of vacancies. That said, a name being mentioned and a serious candidate are two different things.

Not sure how to feel about this. I'm still on the fence with Brewster, but I don't see how Kansas is much better of a job (other than he's back to the Big 12), nor that Kansas think he's a worthy coach (heck, they smoked us last year).

Side note: "I always have a list of candidates," Maturi said. "In all the high-profile sports" -- how about exercising that in hockey, bud.

Brewsters a bit of the anti mangino though, so I can see the attraction. programs often head the other way after a bad experience.

Side note: "I always have a list of candidates," Maturi said. "In all the high-profile sports" -- how about exercising that in hockey, bud.

We all know that this is true, but it is nice to see Maturi put it out there.

Not sure how to feel about this. I'm still on the fence with Brewster, but I don't see how Kansas is much better of a job (other than he's back to the Big 12), nor that Kansas think he's a worthy coach (heck, they smoked us last year).

ahhhhh.......joel maturi.....always an "interesting" quote. how again did we end up with mr. local yokel from up nort' on da range as our AD? ;)

ahhhhh.......joel maturi.....always an "interesting" quote. how again did we end up with mr. local yokel from up nort' on da range as our AD? ;)

You're back!

Thought you were banned. I wouldn't have been surprised. :)

With the talk about Huff decommitting partially due to Brewster's lack of an extension, having Brewster's name being talked about as a potential hire elsewhere will certainly hurt recruiting. He needs to squelch this asap if he's staying, and if he doesn't -- maybe we'll have our answer.

I can picture Brew telling the Pioneer Press reporter....psst....I really, really want a contract extension...do me a solid and ask Maturi about Kansas wanting me.

With the talk about Huff decommitting partially due to Brewster's lack of an extension, having Brewster's name being talked about as a potential hire elsewhere will certainly hurt recruiting. He needs to squelch this asap if he's staying, and if he doesn't -- maybe we'll have our answer.

are you referring to brew or maturi here?

if you are referring to maturi then i fully agree. if he doesn't understand that a full month of this specualtion back and forth (just wait until jabba the hut (reusse) and that spineless dink (souhan) start talking and writing about it) prior to the insight bowl game will absolutely hurt the U of M's 2010 recruiting then maturi actually is as clueless as some have liked to speculate that he is.

If Maturi "always" has a list of candidates then why did he have to hire a search firm last time?

Well, I think the cupboard would be less bare for a replacement for Brew than it was when Brew came on board. And while we've lost guys, who knows? Depending on the hire, maybe that person could pull some late switches ala Lane Kiffin (w/o being a d-bag).

I could see the appeal of KU - good school, good campus, strong alumni network, good athletic program, plus he wouldn't deal with the media drag he has here.

Again, Maturi is showing is lack of strategic capability. The football season is over NOW for most schools considering a change in coaches. This is when extensions and new hires happen so recruiting doesn't miss a beat. Maturi says he wants to play the game his way and wait until after the bowl season is over. Well, he's the only one playing the game his way and it could be another Maturi miscalculation if he waits.

I wonder if Bruininks buys this BS Maturi is trying to sell us. And what does Brewster think about a school calling about a job and his current AD wants to wait to review his job for a possible extension. That's like saying don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I've checked many websites, Kansas forums, google, and I see nothing that lists Brewster & Kansas beyond this article. Kansas has a list of 7 candidates. That's a substantial list, so why add a struggling recruiter with a .500 record?

I think it's a rumor meant to help him get an extension.

Well, I think the cupboard would be less bare for a replacement for Brew than it was when Brew came on board. And while we've lost guys, who knows? Depending on the hire, maybe that person could pull some late switches ala Lane Kiffin (w/o being a d-bag).

I could see the appeal of KU - good school, good campus, strong alumni network, good athletic program, plus he wouldn't deal with the media drag he has here.

true college town newspapers and mid-sized papers that may surround them are the best. university athletic programs are often the ones who "butter their bread". so they are rarely hyper-critical or just blatantly unfair (soley for the purpose of generating ratings/clicks) to the teams and coaches to the point of nauseum like the smarmy local press is able to get away with here.

He'd also get to coach in the same conference as his son and mentor, although Texas and Kansas are not on eachother's schedule next year.

We aren't that lucky. Maybe if we'd pay his salary in the 1st year.

Imagine if Notre Dame hired him -- we could get a real coach, and he could tank their program further!

Again, Maturi is showing his lack of strategic capability. The football season is over NOW for most schools considering a change in coaches. This is when extensions and new hires happen so recruiting doesn't miss a beat. Maturi says he wants to play the game his way and wait until after the bowl season is over. Well, he's the only one playing the game his way and it could be another Maturi miscalculation if he waits.

I wonder if Bruininks buys this BS Maturi is trying to sell us. And what does Brewster think about a school calling about a job and his current AD wants to wait to review his job for a possible extension. That's like saying don't let the door hit you on the way out.

ding, ding, ding. we have a winner.

regardless of how one feels personally about coach brewster these comments about maturi are spot on. maturi is extremely lucky that tubby fell into his lap when he did.

haha, oh man, Kansas, PLEASE TAKE HIM. It would save so much trouble for us, while at the same time shipping him far away where he can't do anymore damage.

Seems a lot like the Bilema to Notre Dame story. Bogus?

Just throwing some dots up in this thread

If I were Brewster I'd leave Minnesota for the first team that offers me a job. Why would he stay here? He's the only coach in 40 years that dares to talk Rose Bowl and he gets criticized for it. He brings some enthusiasm into Dinkytown and gets mocked for it. Not even done with his 3rd season, and 2 bowl games, and everyone questions where his recruits are. The guy never gets a break.

Brew would be perfect in Kansas. Closer to Texas for his recruiting.

We all know that this is true, but it is nice to see Maturi put it out there.

For me, there are two ways to look at this comment:

1) If he's always got a list, how come he was so completely clueless as to what to do when he fired Mason?
2) Maturi has learned something

What is that, bigotry?

Dose guise from da metro are always raggin' on da Raynchers.

Believe it or not, the Range schools do put out smart people. I should know, I am one of them ;)

Wow, the Kansas City Star bit was the first any KU fans has heard of this unless they read the Pioneer Press. I know he hasn't had the greatest record for you guys, but he fits the criteria that KU is looking for. First off his recruiting connections to Texas and Colorado are major pluses. He seems like a good coach, but I would assume much of his defensive staff wouldn't be coming with him if he took the job.

I don't know what to say really about this. KU fans know this search is a one man job by Lew Perkins. There are no leaks and if you find any info it comes from agents and athletic departments. Case in point, your AD brought this development to light.

Wouldn't surprise me that he was a legit candidate if your AD admits he doesn't know if Brewster will be back next season or not.

true college town newspapers and mid-sized papers that may surround them are the best. university athletic programs are often the ones who "butter their bread". so they are rarely hyper-critical or just blatantly unfair (soley for the purpose of generating ratings/clicks) to the teams and coaches to the point of nauseum like the smarmy local press is able to get away with here.

Bwahahaha! You are delusional.
a) have you ever listened to the a**-kissing at 'cco?
b) do you really think a tough guy college football coach is intimidated or fearful of media?????

Nuts.

Top Bottom