Jerry Kill: "This year should be the best that Minnesota has had."

Depends on your definition of a goldmine I guess. Hard to see a team with no clear starting QB on the roster and some other depth holes as a goldmine. Fleck certainly inherited a program that is in good shape with a solid foundation but Kill is basically setting him up to fail by calling it a goldmine and implying that great things should happen right away under Fleck.

A small step back this year would not be out of the realm of possibility. Not a 1-11 or anything like that but I could see the team finishing in that 6-8 win range in year one.

Kill took over a team that had gone 3-9. He was soundly praised in his first Press Conference because he said, paraphrasing here, "Boy, things around here are awful! Can't tell you how long it's gonna take to get things turned around".

People around here LOVED that speech, and nationwide, didn't read too many people who disagreed with him either.

Then, in Kill's first year they lost to USC, New Mexico State (his first on field seizure), beat Miami of Ohio, then lost to NDSU, MI, Purdue and NE. The last three were HUGE blowouts. Somewhere in there Kill very somberly answered a question by saying that he wouldn't have taken the job if he really knew how awful things were.

Not THAT Jerry Kill in comparing his situation to Fleck's, should certainly be excused for calling the situation Fleck inherited, in comparison to what Kill got, a "goldmine".

He was just irritated with they "culture" comment. Nowhere in that interview does he downgrade Fleck or his abilities. That is all in the minds of people who demand that every coach tell us how things around here always "suck" and we have no chance of winning except in the distant future.

If that.

I thought when Kill got the OC job he would put Minnesota behind him. He comes across now as a whiny little bitch.

True and nope. The story here are people getting supremely upset if anybody suggests that Fleck has a chance to win more than 6 games. Maybe even 5.

He's a good coach and he doesn't have to start over with the little amount of talent that Wacker, Brewster and Kill did. Mason started out with some talent but threw the first year away by changing the Offense. He admitted it many times through the years. Same way he said the 2008 was gonna be a big "rebuilding" year. He took a lot of heat for saying that.

Oddly now, there are a lot of people demanding that Fleck say the same thing. Far too many people think that Fleck is a Coach who can only work with kids that he recruited.

Can't see where that's coming from or why he's being slandered for it.
Perhaps his 1-11 season at WMU has something to do with it. [emoji844]

I see some are still trying to sell the idea that Coyle and (to a lesser degree) PJF didn't rip on TC/Kill with the early "culture" talk. I don't blame Kill for being pissed. Didn't he get into an argument with PJF about that at Hopkins HS as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see some are still trying to sell the idea that Coyle and (to a lesser degree) PJF didn't rip on TC/Kill with the early "culture" talk. I don't blame Kill for being pissed. Didn't he get into an argument with PJF about that at Hopkins HS as well?

Supposedly but nobody ever managed to get the specifics out o that juicy rumor...

I've been crucified on here a few times for suggesting that the lovable, 'Good 'ol Jer' we saw in front of the cameras, was not the same Jerry Kill everyone else saw behind the scenes. Zach Johnson, owner of Gopher, Scout.com site, who owned GopherIllustrated for many years posted this today on this topic:

"None of Kill's comments surprise me. I knew the real Jerry Kill and what he was like when the camera was off. He is far from the cuddly old ball coach and person many thought of him to be.

Guy was as cut throat as they come and when you couldn't do what he asked, or he didn't get his way...well let's just say I have raised two kids who acted better as toddlers when they didn't get what they wanted.

Supremely hypocritical as well. I know he worded it different in the Q and A RB pasted but previously he has said it is bad form for a coach to be critical of the staff they are replacing, when Kill ripped Brew for years and continues to rip Brew to make his accomplishments appear miraculous.

Kill wasn't the first coach to win at Minnesota. Glen Mason inherited a **** show and he won at Minnesota even more so than Kill. Mason had better seasons and better/higher profile individual wins...at Penn State (ranked No. 2) and at Ohio State (ranked No. 5).

I think I pointed out earlier last year that when you actually look at Jerry Kill's Big Ten record and the wins he accumulated is not all that impressive. He loved slapping himself on the back for beating the basement teams in the Big Ten."

I don't know about any of this, but one thing that I do know is that Zach Johnson is an absolute piece of sh1t.

I think the argument was about his bruised ego.

This is complete apples and oranges. You can't compare the two situations these coaches inherited. How would Fleck have done if he inherited the same exact situation that Kill inherited? For those of you who think Kill sounds like a baby, you are wrong, he gave an honest answer to a question and now you are crucifying him for being honest. Kill inherited **** and made it into damn good fertilizer, now it's up to Fleck to grow some champion Roses from it.

True and nope. The story here are people getting supremely upset if anybody suggests that Fleck has a chance to win more than 6 games. Maybe even 5.

He's a good coach and he doesn't have to start over with the little amount of talent that Wacker, Brewster and Kill did. Mason started out with some talent but threw the first year away by changing the Offense. He admitted it many times through the years. Same way he said the 2008 was gonna be a big "rebuilding" year. He took a lot of heat for saying that.

Oddly now, there are a lot of people demanding that Fleck say the same thing. Far too many people think that Fleck is a Coach who can only work with kids that he recruited.

Can't see where that's coming from or why he's being slandered for it.

I liked Kill, just never thought he was the saint many did. I like Fleck, although his schtick will get old fast if he doesn't win. Kill is dead wrong in saying this was the year they were supposed to win big. I don't think this team is without talent, but our DB's are decimated from the sex scandal. We're going to start our 4th & 5th best CB's this season (gone are Kiante Hardin, Ray Buford & Coney Durr is injured) unless a Freshman can leap frog them. We have so few O-linemen (5 total) that we can barely even practice. We have two healthy TE's, one of whom is a true Freshman and we're breaking in a new QB. Hard to see how that lines up for a big season.

Kill is also likely referring to the new facilities.

5 OL for Spring ball. Not the season. Simple concept. Shouldn't be so hard to understand.

I look back at the roster Kill inherited & it isn't great, but I wouldn't call it a "dumpster fire". This is from memory so I expect to be off on a few, but here goes...

WR AJ Barker (Jr)
TE Eric Lair (Sr)
LT Ed Olson (So)
LG Zach Epping (So)
C Tommy Olson (Fr)
RG Chris Bunders (Sr)
RG Ryan Wynn (Sr)
RT Ryan Orton (Sr)
TE John Rabe (Jr)
WR Brandon Green (Jr)
WR Derek Engel (Jr)
WR DaJon McKnight (Sr)
QB Marqueis Gray (Jr)
RB Duane Bennett (Sr)
FB Mike Henry (Sr)

DE Anthony Jacobs (Sr)
DT Shede Hageman (So)
DT Brandon Kirksey (Sr)
DE DL Wilhite (Jr)
LB Keenan Cooper (Jr)
MLB Mike Rallis (Jr)
LB Aaron Hill (So)
CB Mike Carter (Jr)
CB Troy Stoudermire (Sr)
S Kim Royston (Sr)
S Brock Vereen (So)

5 OL for Spring ball. Not the season. Simple concept. Shouldn't be so hard to understand.

Any way you slice it our OL isn't looking good this season. 10 OL who aren't true Freshmen, half of whom miss Spring practice while implementing a new system, with a new coaching staff. It doesn't scream "Rose Bowl".

Jerry Kill: "This year should be the best that Minnesota has had."

Any way you slice it our OL isn't looking good this season. 10 OL who aren't true Freshmen, half of whom miss Spring practice while implementing a new system, with a new coaching staff. It doesn't scream "Rose Bowl".

Yep, too bad Fleck lost a couple decent lineman in Moore and Mayes. Mayes may have left anyway, but Fleck seemed to be too much for Mayes. Some of the depth issues are being caused by the transition. Natural with any change, but stinks.

Fleck better be successful, because his schtick would be hard to take as a player in October if you aren't winning.

Change the culture. Some are too weak!

Stupid. His schtick is kind of over the top, and not everyone is going to embrace it. If he doesn't win, he will lose guys come October and November who tire of his game show.

Stupid. His schtick is kind of over the top, and not everyone is going to embrace it. If he doesn't win, he will lose guys come October and November who tire of his game show.

Better than getting 5 players expelled :cool:

People on here don't buy Kill's "Aw Shucks" persona but they buy in to Flecks goofy personality? Okay, got it!

Not sure why that is hard to understand. They have different personalities. People sometimes prefer one over the other.

I've also heard rumors that Kill was hard to work with behind the scenes. Not sure if true though. Honestly it really doesn't matter anymore. I'm thankful for what he did and am excited about the future.

He kinda set Fleck up in a way. If the team doesn't have an outstanding year, then Fleck looks bad because they should be very good according to him.

Better than getting 5 players expelled :cool:

Four, which is too many. However, I don't blame the coach for that - and I wouldn't blame Fleck for it either. A coach can't control stupid behavior by a few kids.

Kill, Claeys and staff built a positive program with the GPA increasing each year, kids going to class, and doing a ton of community service. Your boy Fleck has even acknowledged that. This is why so many people struggle to embrace the new coach on here, because of you and a couple others who think to support Fleck you must denigrate the past staff.

I don't care who they embrace they can live in the glory days of not beating Wisconsin and winning two bowl games if they please! Row the Boat!

I look back at the roster Kill inherited & it isn't great, but I wouldn't call it a "dumpster fire". This is from memory so I expect to be off on a few, but here goes...

WR AJ Barker (Jr)
TE Eric Lair (Sr)
LT Ed Olson (So)
LG Zach Epping (So)
C Tommy Olson (Fr)
RG Chris Bunders (Sr)
RG Ryan Wynn (Sr)
RT Ryan Orton (Sr)
TE John Rabe (Jr)
WR Brandon Green (Jr)
WR Derek Engel (Jr)
WR DaJon McKnight (Sr)
QB Marqueis Gray (Jr)
RB Duane Bennett (Sr)
FB Mike Henry (Sr)

DE Anthony Jacobs (Sr)
DT Shede Hageman (So)
DT Brandon Kirksey (Sr)
DE DL Wilhite (Jr)
LB Keenan Cooper (Jr)
MLB Mike Rallis (Jr)
LB Aaron Hill (So)
CB Mike Carter (Jr)
CB Troy Stoudermire (Sr)
S Kim Royston (Sr)
S Brock Vereen (So)

I completely agree. People are eating up Jerry's schtick about how bad things were. The roster Brewster started with was worse than what Kill started with. Hell Hageman was better than any d-lineman Kill brought in. McKnight, Gray, Engel, and briefly Barker were as good or better than any WRs Kill brought in. The secondary was decent. Epping and Tommy Olson were about as good as any o-lineman Kill ever brought in. Gray was as good at QB as any one Kill brought in.

I don't care who they embrace they can live in the glory days of not beating Wisconsin and winning two bowl games if they please! Row the Boat!

I really can't stand this whole Row The Boat thing. It leaves when he leaves so I will be sticking with the traditions Minnesota already has. Ski U Mah

Top Bottom