Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

We'll have to see what happens on the 26th, but losing our two cbs who were recruited by elite db minds is problematic, to say the least, in light of how our roster will likely stack up next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm predicting Creamer stays on. It seemed as if Fleck was making him more of a priority with the in home visit. Not sure he stopped by Layne's too or not.

If Layne and Creamer are going to leave, I'd rather they leave now. Fleck can work his magic in the final week that way. Bolds and Mafe could make this one hell of a d-line class.

And one heck of a deficient CB class.

Rumors are that Bolds is borderline academically, which is likely a big reason we're willing to take a chance on him that others aren't. If he can qualify, it'd be another Gary Russell situation where we luck into a stud who would've never considered coming here with a solid academic profile.

There are a ton of schools on his list with easier entry criteria than the U. Of course at this juncture you never know which offers are still "commitable".

There are a ton of schools on his list with easier entry criteria than the U. Of course at this juncture you never know which offers are still "commitable".

I was going to say the same thing...not easy getting in here.

And one heck of a deficient CB class.

If Trey Creamer stays committed, we have Demetrius Douglas and Adam Beck playing CB. I'd say that one heck of a trio at CB.

Oh, for sure. I'm just saying that we are more likely than most to risk him not being able to qualify, particularly given our dearth of DTs. Most of the other schools recruit better than us (on paper) and can get players just as good without needing to take risks.

I was going to say the same thing...not easy getting in here.

Jeff Jones got in and he didn't even meet the NCAA's sliding scale minimal eligibility requirements. If Jeff had a decent academic profile he probably would have had offers from nearly every school in the country.

Jeff Jones got in and he didn't even meet the NCAA's sliding scale minimal eligibility requirements. If Jeff had a decent academic profile he probably would have had offers from nearly every school in the country.

Worked to become eligible, admitted to U but had to sit out 2014 to demonstrate he could meet the requirements. So he didn't just "get in". Then dropped academically and we know the story from there.

Worked to become eligible, admitted to U but had to sit out 2014 to demonstrate he could meet the requirements. So he didn't just "get in". Then dropped academically and we know the story from there.

Yeah probabbly the poster child there of why the effort to cram a guy in who wasn't eligible.... still wasn't for long... probabbly a bad idea.

If Trey Creamer stays committed, we have Demetrius Douglas and Adam Beck playing CB. I'd say that one heck of a trio at CB.

DD has been promised a shot at WR, Beck by all reports is a S and Creamer hasn't affirmed his current status so I'm not as optimistic as you my friend.

Oh, for sure. I'm just saying that we are more likely than most to risk him not being able to qualify, particularly given our dearth of DTs. Most of the other schools recruit better than us (on paper) and can get players just as good without needing to take risks.

Agreed

Whats your point? I'm not talking about what he did after that. You said it's "not easy getting in here." I say that due to the fact that the University of Minnesota's admissions department once accepted a kid who didn't even meet the NCAA's sliding scale eligibility requirement, something that is considered extremely easy to do, says otherwise. At least for certain athletes in certain cases. I'm not talking about the general student body.

In an effort to make the status of our class more understandable I've attached a grid that will hopefully imbed itself reflecting work earlier on this thread combined with the work of Hungan more recently on another. This grid is based on NEXT year's class and thus reflects more obviously which players were redshirted. I placed McLaurin as a rs sophomore as I hope his first year in which he was injured for the year in the first game does not count against him. Red lettered players are in jeopardy of not being allowed to play. This grid DOES NOT include Ca$hman's potential awarding of a scholarship. Hope this helps.

Gopher Grid.jpg

DD has been promised a shot at WR, Beck by all reports is a S and Creamer hasn't affirmed his current status so I'm not as optimistic as you my friend.

Do we know DD was promised that? And do we know what a shot at wr even means?

Do we know DD was promised that? And do we know what a shot at wr even means?

Saw it reported in a couple locations (one may have been a reprint of the other). There was a disclaimer of course regarding need for other positions but I imagine that PJ will try not to move him given his legacy and the kid's other options (ND). Hate to set a precedent by going back on your word going into the next recruiting cycle- unless of course the kid ends up being a stud freshman starter at CB!

Saw it reported in a couple locations (one may have been a reprint of the other). There was a disclaimer of course regarding need for other positions but I imagine that PJ will try not to move him given his legacy and the kid's other options (ND). Hate to set a precedent by going back on your word going into the next recruiting cycle- unless of course the kid ends up being a stud freshman starter at CB!

Agreed and he was recruited in his in home visit by the offensive coaches. Best scenario after he gets here, DD himself says: Dang, we got no corners, on this team. I'm better than these guys. I could start game one. I gotta talk the coaches into letting me play corner.
We get Jafar and there's competition at WR among young guys. Not so much at corner...ha

Maybe he could do both, I mean someone on the roster has to play CB.

Maybe he could do both, I mean someone on the roster has to play CB.
For what it's worth, Fleck did recruit Ray Buford and Dior Johnson at Western Michigan. Depending upon the results of the hearings, they may stick around.

Agreed and he was recruited in his in home visit by the offensive coaches. Best scenario after he gets here, DD himself says: Dang, we got no corners, on this team. I'm better than these guys. I could start game one. I gotta talk the coaches into letting me play corner.
We get Jafar and there's competition at WR among young guys. Not so much at corner...ha

There's a reason ND was recruiting him as a DB; he looks incredible as a defensive back. He's a great looking athlete and should be a force whichever side of the ball he decides on. Fleck may have to send out a call for volunteers for CB.

This might be where Fleck's "rah rah" might come in handy. "Family. Forget about me. I love you." If your team needs a CB, what will you do to help? If all these athletes buy into this system, I'll bet there'll be a lot of athletes clamoring to compete for positions of need.

Shenault

In an effort to make the status of our class more understandable I've attached a grid that will hopefully imbed itself reflecting work earlier on this thread combined with the work of Hungan more recently on another. This grid is based on NEXT year's class and thus reflects more obviously which players were redshirted. I placed McLaurin as a rs sophomore as I hope his first year in which he was injured for the year in the first game does not count against him. Red lettered players are in jeopardy of not being allowed to play. This grid DOES NOT include Ca$hman's potential awarding of a scholarship. Hope this helps.

View attachment 4714

I am pretty sure Shenault is not in danger of missing the season. He was the only one who was to receive probation. Obviously he still was suspended for the bowl game but he is just trying to avoid the stain of probation on his student record and a shorter rope going forward.

I am pretty sure Shenault is not in danger of missing the season. He was the only one who was to receive probation. Obviously he still was suspended for the bowl game but he is just trying to avoid the stain of probation on his student record and a shorter rope going forward.

I agree but there's no certainty til PJ says he stays.

Other than the Texas corner we offered a week ago per 247 is there any CBs that we are on that anyone knows of?

Top Bottom