Full statements from the Gophers players, Coyle, and Kaler

GopherLady

Reaction score
I apologize for starting another thread, but for those that want to find quick info - here are both statements...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The below statement is from University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler and Athletic Director Mark Coyle in response to a statement read earlier this evening by members of the Gophers Football team:

We understand that a lot of confusion and frustration exists as a result of this week's suspension of 10 Gopher Football players from all team activities. The reality is that not everyone can have all of the facts, and unfortunately the University cannot share more information due to federal laws regarding student privacy. We fully support our Gopher football players and all of our student-athletes. Situations like this are always difficult and the decision was made in consultation with and has the full support of President Eric Kaler. The decision was based on facts and is reflective of the University's values.

We want to continue an open dialogue with our players and will work to do that over the coming days. It's important that we continue to work together as we move through this difficult time.

The below statement is from University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler and Athletic Director Mark Coyle in response to a statement read earlier this evening by members of the Gophers Football team:

We understand that a lot of confusion and frustration exists as a result of this week's suspension of 10 Gopher Football players from all team activities. The reality is that not everyone can have all of the facts, and unfortunately the University cannot share more information due to federal laws regarding student privacy. We fully support our Gopher football players and all of our student-athletes. Situations like this are always difficult and the decision was made in consultation with and has the full support of President Eric Kaler. The decision was based on facts and is reflective of the University's values.

We want to continue an open dialogue with our players and will work to do that over the coming days. It's important that we continue to work together as we move through this difficult time.

This statement confirms that Kaler and Coyle have no intention of giving in to the demands of the players. And they couldn't do it even if they wanted to. It is now out of their hands.

This statement confirms that Kaler and Coyle have no intention of giving into the demands of the players. And they couldn't do it even if they wanted to. It is now out of their hands.

Wait what, you do realize this was their decision to begin with?

What is the shortest tenure of a non-interim athletic director?

I apologize for starting another thread, but for those that want to find quick info - here are both statements...

Weak, hollow words from weak leaders that have had months to prepare for this very situation.

Weak, hollow words from weak leaders that have had months to prepare for this very situation.

Yup

They may even be correct in the suspensions but clearly they have let one major problem become a nuclear meltdown. The mismanagement of crisis is a fireable offense.

Here is the policy that every football player should know.

"It is the responsibility of each person who wishes to engage in the sexual activity to obtain consent.A lack of protest, the absence of resistance and silence do not indicate consent.
The existence of a present or past dating or romantic relationship does not imply consent to future sexual activity.
Consent must be present throughout the sexual activity and may be initially given, but withdrawn at any time.
When consent is withdrawn all sexual activity must stop. Likewise, where there is confusion about the state of consent, sexual activity must stop until both parties consent again.
Consent to one form of sexual activity does not imply consent to other forms of sexual activity.
Consent is not obtained where:

• There is physical force, threats, intimidation or coercion.
  • There is incapacitation due to the influence of drugs or alcohol.
  • There is the inability to communicate because of a physical or mental condition
  • An individual is asleep, unconscious or involuntarily physically restrained.
  • An individual is unable to understand the nature or extent of the sexual situation because of mental or physical incapacitation or impairment.
  • One party is not of legal age to give consent pursuant to Minnesota state law."

If the protest has anything to do with playing football, then they understand that not abiding by the above policy is what got those players in this mess. And, if the players cannot identify with the women on campus, their safety and security, then I've got news for the players and the staff, leave the U. Pack up and leave. Don't whine about it. Don't complain that something was taken away from you that did not belong to you. You attend the University of Minnesota at the discretion of the University of Minnesota. You attend our house. You play by the house rules. If you don't understand that, then you have lied to the University in the code of conduct. Plain and simple, this is the way justice works. I know you will not like what I am saying. As an alumnus, I'm will stand with the administration on this point. The policy is simple. The moral contract was broken and there is video evidence that it was broken. It may not show a crime, but it does show incredibly bad judgement, a flagrant disregard for the dignity of another human being. As a father of daughters, I will respect the players on the team by not taking a baseball bat to each and every one of the cowards that committed that heinous act. That is how I feel about it.

If you think your position is righteous, put it to the test. Bring it to your church and pray about it with the women's guilds. Bring all the facts. Bring all the complaints. Bring the EEOC documents. And, let those church ladies decide your fate. Don't go to the courts for your "rights". Go to the church for public perception of what you "men" did. I don't think that you are going to get the reception of how "righteous" you feel about this.

If you are really brave, come to my men's breakfast at my church. I think some of the police officers there will take a dim view of your position. You may not get a word in edge wise. The old farts that hang out there have lived through more crap than any of the football players have and they will point out the errors of the players ways, in spades.

The way I regard this issue, if I was the President of the U, at this point I would fire the coaches. I would dismiss the team. And I would suspend football operations for the next 2 to 3 years. Then you could all try to bring suit against the U for your "rights". You have no rights to the name on that helmet. None.

I'm finished with the men's football team. I'm booing the whole team right now. Maybe even Dilly Bar Dan.

"It is the responsibility of each person who wishes to engage in the sexual activity to obtain consent.A lack of protest, the absence of resistance and silence do not indicate consent.
The existence of a present or past dating or romantic relationship does not imply consent to future sexual activity.
Consent must be present throughout the sexual activity and may be initially given, but withdrawn at any time.
When consent is withdrawn all sexual activity must stop. Likewise, where there is confusion about the state of consent, sexual activity must stop until both parties consent again.
Consent to one form of sexual activity does not imply consent to other forms of sexual activity.

• There is the inability to communicate because of a physical or mental condition
  • An individual is unable to understand the nature or extent of the sexual situation because of mental or physical incapacitation or impairment.
  • One party is not of legal age to give consent pursuant to Minnesota state law."

If the protest has anything to do with playing football, then they understand that not abiding by the above policy is what got those players in this mess. And, if the players cannot identify with the women on campus, their safety and security, then I've got news for the players and the staff, leave the U. Pack up and leave. Don't whine about it. Don't complain that something was taken away from you that did not belong to you. You attend the University of Minnesota at the discretion of the University of Minnesota. You attend our house. You play by the house rules. If you don't understand that, then you have lied to the University in the code of conduct. Plain and simple, this is the way justice works. I know you will not like what I am saying. As an alumnus, I'm will stand with the administration on this point. The policy is simple. The moral contract was broken and there is video evidence that it was broken. It may not show a crime, but it does show incredibly bad judgement, a flagrant disregard for the dignity of another human being. As a father of daughters, I will respect the players on the team by not taking a baseball bat to each and every one of the cowards that committed that heinous act. That is how I feel about it.

If you think your position is righteous, put it to the test. Bring it to your church and pray about it with the women's guilds. Bring all the facts. Bring all the complaints. Bring the EEOC documents. And, let those church ladies decide your fate. Don't go to the courts for your "rights". Go to the church for public perception of what you "men" did. I don't think that you are going to get the reception of how "righteous" you feel about this.

If you are really brave, come to my men's breakfast at my church. I think some of the police officers there will take a dim view of your position. You may not get a word in edge wise. The old farts that hang out there have lived through more crap than any of the football players have and they will point out the errors of the players ways, in spades.

The way I regard this issue, if I was the President of the U, at this point I would fire the coaches. I would dismiss the team. And I would suspend football operations for the next 2 to 3 years. Then you could all try to bring suit against the U for your "rights". You have no rights to the name on that helmet. None.

I'm finished with the men's football team. I'm booing the whole team right now. Maybe even Dilly Bar Dan.

I don't know it seems unworkable to craft a policy for the football team based on the moral judgments of a guy on message board. Maybe it will work, not sure.

I don't know it seems unworkable to craft a policy for the football team based on the moral judgments of a guy on message board. Maybe it will work, not sure.

That policy is pretty much verbatim what the University's stance on this is. Every freshman is taught this during welcome week or orientation (cannot remember which).

That policy is pretty much verbatim what the University's stance on this is. Every freshman is taught this during welcome week or orientation (cannot remember which).

I don't think the part about going to church to pray to the church ladies is part of their stance.

As to the bullet points which one is it that applies to the players? I think you must have seen some stuff I didn't. Could you please link?

how do you know they were in violation of the policy?

Coyle gets an F thus far, tough to believe we stole this guy from a respected power 5 program.

Who knows what consent is anymore. When you are getting hot and heavy with someone do you have to stop in the middle and ask, "may I have sex with you at this present moment in time?"

Seriously, if I had a child, I would sugest they draw up a contract beforehand and have the other party sign it before the sexual activities commenced.

This statement confirms that Kaler and Coyle have no intention of giving in to the demands of the players. And they couldn't do it even if they wanted to. It is now out of their hands.

Wait, Claeys just tweeted how proud he was of the team? But you said Kaler and Coyle didn't lie when they said Claeys was part of this decision? I am not a PC idiot that swallows this stuff whole, so you are going to have translate this whole deal for me.

Who knows what consent is anymore. When you are getting hot and heavy with someone do you have to stop in the middle and ask, "may I have sex with you at this present moment in time?"

Seriously, if I had a child, I would sugest they draw up a contract beforehand and have the other party sign it before the sexual activities commenced.

Related, so the University's policy on consent is different than the Police's policy on consent?

Another elitist. This is not a "church " issue.

I can assure you your child would not do that.

Coyle can't even keep his own lies straight. He is a clown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't express enough how impressed I am with the guys, assuming they understand the consequences this may have for them. They are sacrificing a great deal to stand up for real justice.

Obviously this is an awful situation all around, but it is nice to see some actions that are not entirely self-serving as we are with the administrators.

Yup

They may even be correct in the suspensions but clearly they have let one major problem become a nuclear meltdown. The mismanagement of crisis is a fireable offense.

+1000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The U is most likely puckered up tighter than a "insert your cliche here" after the B-Ball and Teague fiascos. It's also plausible that the U took an ultra-conservative approach here and potentially through some players under the bus. The fact that the rest of the team is so blatantly standing up for them speaks at least a bit. All possible.

For now I will side with the U of M admin. But let's hope to sweet Jesus that this isn't Duke 2.0.

Sad all around. There is no good outcome.

Dump Coyle, hire either Hutton or Najarian. That problem gets solved asap.

Seems to me that "student privacy" concerns went out the window some time ago.

What part of gang banging a woman - and filming it as well - is compatible with the values that University of Minnesota represents? Perhaps it is okay while hosting a recruit? NO. You don't even need to go to church to understand that. Those that were "fully" involved - if they aren't gone then I may be at the end of my twenty-six year run of season tickets.

Now, the newly accused - I'm not sure I understand their crimes and I would agree that they should have a full hearing before any punitive actions are applied.

Give me the bat when you are done with it, Dean. But leave Dilly Bar Dan out it. He might be all we have left when the dust settles.

I don't think the part about going to church to pray to the church ladies is part of their stance.

As to the bullet points which one is it that applies to the players? I think you must have seen some stuff I didn't. Could you please link?

I was talking about the policy he listed in quotes, i.e. using the wording "The policy"... Also,
An individual is unable to understand the nature or extent of the sexual situation because of mental or physical incapacitation or impairment.
Pretty sure this covers impairment due to Alcohol. This policy, however, is more strict than the law of the state, but the University does have a right to that. Also:
When consent is withdrawn all sexual activity must stop.
Whether his happened or not is up to he said she said, since likely it was not in the film djam took. So I guess, pick a side to believe.
how do you know they were in violation of the policy?
I never claimed they were, I was just stating that the policy in quotes is pretty much the policy the U has been teaching students about consent....

Top Bottom