Big profile on Isaiah Washington: Jelly Fam: Welcome to the New Hoops Phenomenon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Danois:

New York City's No. 1 high school point guard Isaiah Washington and his crew are breathing life back into youth basketball culture

Washington, the co-creator of this burgeoning youth hoops movement known as the Jelly Fam, has an easy smile, laced with a delicate sparkle in his dimples that belies his toughness. He just happens to be the No. 1 point guard and top overall basketball prospect in the city and the floor general of prodigious talent at St. Raymond High School for Boys in the Bronx.

"The New York City point guard is flashy, plays with a lot of heart, and I represent that with pride," Washington says. "The first steps I ever took were trying to get a hold of a basketball. I grew up going to the park every day to play against the best players out there because I didn't want anybody to be better than me."

College basketball fans will become familiar with his unique arsenal and showmanship when Washington suits up for the University of Minnesota next year. But they'll have to wait for him to take his final victory lap around the high school gyms and outdoor playgrounds of New York first.

With one signature move, Washington and his crew have created a buzz while toasting kids on the court with their Jelly. They have unleashed a vivacious force upon a scene that has been alarmingly dormant recently.

Remember all that talk about New York basketball being dead?

That's far from the truth. The Jelly is not just a syrupy move punctuated with a sweet touch. It has resurrected a vital pulse, hearkening back to the days when kids climbed on trees to get a glimpse of Dr. J at Rucker Park in the '70s.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/je...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Go Gophers!!

He's going to be an extremely unique player, looking forward to watching him.

Nice to read about a natural leader who loves his craft. Is it safe to assume just from reading this that he has the tools giving him a pretty good chance of starting as a freshman?

Nice to read about a natural leader who loves his craft. Is it safe to assume just from reading this that he has the tools giving him a pretty good chance of starting as a freshman?

He's more of a natural point than Mason, so maybe, but I don't see any of Mason, McBrayer, or Coffey leaving the starting lineup. McBrayer could be an excellent sixth man though.

He's more of a natural point than Mason, so maybe, but I don't see any of Mason, McBrayer, or Coffey leaving the starting lineup. McBrayer could be an excellent sixth man though.

That would be nice if Washington could come in and take the starting spot. Having a guy like McBrayer coming off the bench would be a huge boost for the gophers. Having a true PG running the show and allowing Mason to just focus on scoring. Hopefully Harris's shooting is as good as advertised. Could be a good 4 guard rotation.

Very cool that we have a kid from NYC coming to MN. 2 of them in fact. Unreal. Should be a really fun year next year and the years after.

Great read. Gets me really excited for 2-3 years down the road... a core of Murphy, McBrayer, Curry, Coffey, and Washington could do a lot of damage if things go right... especially if a guy like Hurt or Harris can become a lethal 3 pt shooter to compliment the rest.

Um, this is a pretty big deal to have something profiled in Slam. In the video associated with the article, he talks about why he chose Minnesota. Paraphrasing, but he wants to "start his own journey" and "be Coach Pitino's best player", mentions Derrick Rose going to Memphis. Love the confidence. Honestly one of the things that gets me most excited is his ability to shoot it; appears to have a very solid stroke from the outside. If you look at other point guards in major college basketball, this is something that is missing.

http://www.slamonline.com/media/slam-tv/2016-year-nyc-basketball-resuscitated/#cCRRLewbBWmjCGOp.97

mentions Derrick Rose going to Memphis

I get what he's trying to say, but Rose signed with a Memphis team coming off two straight Elite Eights. It's not even close to the same thing.

I get what he's trying to say, but Rose signed with a Memphis team coming off two straight Elite Eights. It's not even close to the same thing.

Don't crush the dream bro! We live off of it here! LOL.

The point is that the kid has a pretty cool story.

Don't crush the dream bro! We live off of it here! LOL.

The point is that the kid has a pretty cool story.

For sure! I guess my point is that Washington's story is even cooler than Rose's. It's virtually unprecedented that a kid from the Northeast, with his stature, comes to a program in the Midwest that has almost no history of success and a poor recent history.

I would be very surprised if he starts, it will be a senior laden teams with high expectations, he will be in the rotation though.

I cannot remember one player from those two elite eight teams. (I'm sure I'll remember a bunch of them once I look it up)

I remember Derrick Rose.

Derrick Rose -> Coach Cal

Issiah Washington -> Richard Pitino (I'll always remember Nate Mason)

For sure! I guess my point is that Washington's story is even cooler than Rose's. It's virtually unprecedented that a kid from the Northeast, with his stature, comes to a program in the Midwest that has almost no history of success and a poor recent history.

Agree 100%. Should be a lot of fun and make for some seriously entertaining hoops at the Barn.

I cannot remember one player from those two elite eight teams. (I'm sure I'll remember a bunch of them once I look it up)

I remember Derrick Rose.

Derrick Rose -> Coach Cal

Issiah Washington -> Richard Pitino (I'll always remember Nate Mason)

I think that's his point. Most coaches have one player most closely associated with them, at least for awhile. Izzo-Mateen Cleaves. Even Boeheim and Melo, etc. Hopefully he's that guy for Pitino.

Even when back track you still have to make it negative. Can't you ever talk about the Gophers with some positivity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Washington dropped 48 points tonight.

He's definitely a different style player than we are used to. I watched the first half this morning...

He'll have to learn defense and offensive team concepts, but my guess is most top national recruits play a similar style.

Hey, this is great! I knew he was a big get, and its always fun to have someone with a little charisma and style. Having that at the point could make for some fun years!

He's definitely a different style player than we are used to. I watched the first half this morning...

He'll have to learn defense and offensive team concepts, but my guess is most top national recruits play a similar style.

Huh? His learning curve with 'concepts' is about the same as anyone else. Just because he plays in outdoor tournaments doesnt mean he's some undisciplined street baller that doesnt know how to play the game

Huh? His learning curve with 'concepts' is about the same as anyone else. Just because he plays in outdoor tournaments doesnt mean he's some undisciplined street baller that doesnt know how to play the game
Agreed.

I watched the 1st quarter. Neither team is lockdown on defense, but you can teach defense to anyone. You can't teach a kid to be a natural scorer and Washington has a beautiful stroke. I can't wait to see the kid in maroon and gold.

Did you watch the linked high school game on an indoor court?

His defensive effort is not where I would expect "everyone else's" to be.

I'm not saying he CANT play defense or that he is behind on anything. I'm simply stating the defense in the above video from a tactic and effort standard won't make it very far. I then stated I wouldn't be surprised if that's pretty consistent with top flight talent.

Top Bottom