Chip on U attendance: Coyle, football program have a lot of work to repair disconnect

My personal take as a former 10 year season ticket holder is that pricing should be 'tuned' to achieve a full stadium. The only year they got this right was year one at TCF. Raising prices on an 80% full stadium is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I would also have no problem with bringing back some type of bundling to fill the student section.

For me, it is all about tailgating. I'm in my early 30's and if they want me to keep my season ticket (had season tickets since I was a Freshman at the U in 2003) the next few years, the tailgating situation needs to improve. I typically am donating (which is required with my season tickets) between $1000-$1300/season and have not been able to get a tailgate lot anywhere near the stadium. And, I don't mean the lots immediately next to the stadium either. It has been beyond frustrating to drive past some of those tailgate lots and seem them half empty (or more) only to find out every year I go to renew every year that nothing is available in those said tailgate lots. I don't know what you do differently, but if I ever got a pass, I know I would be out there every home game.

There are other things that bother me, but that to me is the most frustrating thing about it.

I agree with this completely. When I think "game day atmosphere," it's the mostly the pre-game. I've been to Wisconsin, Nebraska and Maryland recently, and their piped-in music, announcer-read ads, etc. are similar. In fact, there was far more piped in rock music in Madison two weeks ago than there is here. That hasn't hurt their attendance or excitement.

We typically tailgate at East River Flats, though I'd rather be closer. As we walk toward the stadium, we see very little maroon and gold until we get to about Sally's (really miss the old Sally's parking lot). I was talking with a friend last week who went to an Iowa game and said, "Now I get it -- we were walking to the game and there were parties and loud music and people everywhere and the game hadn't even started. It was great." Well, I said, it's not quite like that here. But it is like that at Wisconsin and Nebraska, not to mention Iowa.

I believe there are many people pre-gaming at our games, but we're all dispersed miles apart. At East River Flats, the Fairgrounds, behind the stadium in the lots, etc. But it's possible to be near the old Big 10 restaurant 30 minutes before kickoff some days and not be aware that it's gameday. The U could help this along some. There should be a party on the grounds of the alumni center -- the whole grass area, not just inside the building with a few people trickling out near the door (Nebraska figured that out.) They would make money, too. They should help businesses around the stadium work with the city to allow tailgating in private lots. And, while they won't or can't close off Oak Street or University Avenue, there are other, smaller, lesser-used blocks that could become block parties with food trucks music, etc.

We need to make it a day-long event so when people come for the first time, they say, Oh, now I see why you keep coming." Even if we lose.

Teague and his increased scholarship funding was a debacle and still annoys me. Thank goodness that is being addressed. In general, everything is too expensive and regulated. We went to the Illini game. In their Grange Grove area in front of the stadium, anyone could bring their own coolers and grills. No way the U would ever allow that. Better to charge people outrageous prices. They had a huge field across the street for tailgating, and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost people over $1000 to tailgate for the season. We put the students' tailgate behind the stadium, away from any action, and police it. The Creative Charters prices are way too high.

For me, it is all about tailgating. I'm in my early 30's and if they want me to keep my season ticket (had season tickets since I was a Freshman at the U in 2003) the next few years, the tailgating situation needs to improve. I typically am donating (which is required with my season tickets) between $1000-$1300/season and have not been able to get a tailgate lot anywhere near the stadium. And, I don't mean the lots immediately next to the stadium either. It has been beyond frustrating to drive past some of those tailgate lots and seem them half empty (or more) only to find out every year I go to renew every year that nothing is available in those said tailgate lots. I don't know what you do differently, but if I ever got a pass, I know I would be out there every home game.

There are other things that bother me, but that to me is the most frustrating thing about it.

YES!!!

I go to other schools and those tailgate lots near the stadium are FILLED. It's because their high $$$ people actually show up (or loan their spot to people who will). This isn't happening at MN, so they need to do something about it.

I have NO idea if this would work in reality, but what about something like this. Instead of charging for those spots all season, charge by the week. Mega-donors have until Wed of game week to book and pay for their spot that week. If they don't, spots open up to medium donors, who have until Fri. If they don't, those spots become fair game Saturday morning.

In a lot of ways it really is as simple as this.

I think people forget, even the Vikings struggled with attendance before 98 when Moss showed up.

Where were people on November 19? A 7-3 Gopher squad played NW with a chance to win the West by winning their final 2 games. Plus it was senior day. It was the most embarrassing crowd in the history of TCF.

We did win this year and attendance was down. Does "win and they will come" mean we have to be 10-0?

Not only was attendance down this year, it was the most stale atmosphere since the dome days. The diehard season ticket holders left after the PSL price increase.

I agree with this completely. When I think "game day atmosphere," it's the mostly the pre-game. I've been to Wisconsin, Nebraska and Maryland recently, and their piped-in music, announcer-read ads, etc. are similar. In fact, there was far more piped in rock music in Madison two weeks ago than there is here. That hasn't hurt their attendance or excitement.

We typically tailgate at East River Flats, though I'd rather be closer. As we walk toward the stadium, we see very little maroon and gold until we get to about Sally's (really miss the old Sally's parking lot). I was talking with a friend last week who went to an Iowa game and said, "Now I get it -- we were walking to the game and there were parties and loud music and people everywhere and the game hadn't even started. It was great." Well, I said, it's not quite like that here. But it is like that at Wisconsin and Nebraska, not to mention Iowa.

I believe there are many people pre-gaming at our games, but we're all dispersed miles apart. At East River Flats, the Fairgrounds, behind the stadium in the lots, etc. But it's possible to be near the old Big 10 restaurant 30 minutes before kickoff some days and not be aware that it's gameday. The U could help this along some. There should be a party on the grounds of the alumni center -- the whole grass area, not just inside the building with a few people trickling out near the door (Nebraska figured that out.) They would make money, too. They should help businesses around the stadium work with the city to allow tailgating in private lots. And, while they won't or can't close off Oak Street or University Avenue, there are other, smaller, lesser-used blocks that could become block parties with food trucks music, etc.

We need to make it a day-long event so when people come for the first time, they say, Oh, now I see why you keep coming." Even if we lose.

Ding ding! Best post I've seen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to Champaign this year. Atmosphere outside the stadium rocks. Tickets were available for <$10. It was still far from sold out. At the end of the day winning will bring more fans in than anything else.

YES!!!

I go to other schools and those tailgate lots near the stadium are FILLED. It's because their high $$$ people actually show up (or loan their spot to people who will). This isn't happening at MN, so they need to do something about it.

I have NO idea if this would work in reality, but what about something like this. Instead of charging for those spots all season, charge by the week. Mega-donors have until Wed of game week to book and pay for their spot that week. If they don't, spots open up to medium donors, who have until Fri. If they don't, those spots become fair game Saturday morning.

So how do you get people who paid $$ to have spots in those lots to show up? I like the weekly idea...maybe just go with first come first served and only sell a fraction of the spots in advance.

They drove away long time supporters and young families that had seats for pre-school kids - the very fan base you need to build for the future. I contacted every bureaucrat, president on-down, and every regent. They were uniformly arrogant.

The diehard season ticket holders left after the PSL price increase.

That's what my group of 8 did. I'm no diehard (only was a 10 yr ticket holder, pretty minor compared to most of you) but some in my group were 25+ yrs. They're done. They won't go back no matter what changes since they've decided to spend their Sat afternoons doing other things. And I'm not re-joining the season ticket base so my wife and I can go to a few games until the weather gets cold (she won't sit out there in sub-40 degrees). Our group is what made the game days fun. Now, we'll try to make our Gopher game attendance a destination experience- the wife and I will go watch them for a road game. We get to make a long weekend out of the event. I did Vegas a few years ago, Colo St., and next year Ore St. I'll try and attend a home game as well but sometimes life and Saturday work gets in the way.

I go to games because it is an event, not just a game. The pre-game and post-game festivities is what is lacking. I wish they would shut down a few streets around the stadium but that is probably unlikely.

YES!!!

I've been to three different away game destinations over the last few years (not including the Citrus Bowl which I went to) and at Madison, Iowa City and Champaign, their tailgate experiences are head and shoulders above anything we offer. It is just sad. Game after game (with the exception of lot 37 which is usually pretty full and I can't get into regardless of my $1k+ donation every year as it always sells out before it gets to me) I see half (or more) empty tailgate lots right next to or within a couple blocks of the stadium.

I don't know what you do to resolve it. But, if we really want the game day atmosphere to improve outside of the stadium, getting people to actually use the tailgate lots for tailgating (outside of the ones who do already) is the first place to start.

What would keep the "mega-donors" from buying their spot on Wednesday and then showing up 10 minutes before game so they can have a short walk from their car to their seats? Just like they do now.

You can't force people to tailgate if they value the parking space because of its convenience over the ability to tailgate.

With the price increase (almost a doubling of my ticket price over the 3 year period) I just could not justify spending that kind of money on football anymore. I would rather spread some of that money around on other Gopher sports or pro teams in town. Now I pick and choose a couple games and just watch the rest on TV. I'm sure there lots of people in the same situation as me.

I go to games because it is an event, not just a game. The pre-game and post-game festivities is what is lacking. I wish they would shut down a few streets around the stadium but that is probably unlikely.

They do shut down a few streets...as I said earlier, there are things to do around the stadium if you want to participate. Winning and who we play matters in the mix of fans. Yes the seat license alienated some long time diehard fans but to be honest, those are the folks walking late and leaving early from the game. For the most part they don't tailgate, come early or stay after.

An essential additional idea...

Reform the marketing department to rebuild game day atmosphere. The gophers try and compete with the pros through gimmicky loud speaker music, monster truck rally announcer, scoreboard antics etc.

College teams will lose this fight (against pros) every time.

The gophers AD needs to create and embrace another types of atmosphere through fan/band driven tradition (the U completely abandoned this many decades ago when the admin deprioritized atheletics and later moved to the effing metro dome). As a result, a state schoool with tons of history and multiple national championships offers no tradition or sense of community - resulting in a vanilla fan experience. This is truly shocking. And it won't be improved by playing a bunch of jock jams and having some DJ screem at you.

Start by engaging the students and using the band. Let it flow organically from there.

I agree, I was in Madison as well. There music was more piped in, louder, etc and guess what... it fired the crowd up. The entire band aspect is overrated as far as in game excitement. Yes, I agree they are great before/after and during halftime, but it doesn't do much during the game. One thing they do in Madison is sections of the band go around the stadium and play in the concourses, aisles, etc.

In my opinion, the three things that have killed Gopher football in the last couple of years:
1) Scholarship donations - people dropped tickets and found out it is liberating to be able to pick and choose games, watch on TV, etc and they SAVE a lot of money.
2) Lack of success in big games. Whether it is positive or negative, the general public expects the team to beat every team "lesser" than us and wants us be .500 in big games - Wisconsin, Iowa, etc
3) Boring games. There was not game I was at this year, except possibly Oregon State, where I thought, man this is fun. Last year I can candidly remember TCU, Michigan, etc. Blame 11:00 starts or whatever, but majority of the games this year were snoozefests and our play didn't help.

They do shut down a few streets...as I said earlier, there are things to do around the stadium if you want to participate. Winning and who we play matters in the mix of fans. Yes the seat license alienated some long time diehard fans but to be honest, those are the folks walking late and leaving early from the game. For the most part they don't tailgate, come early or stay after.
What streets do they shut down and what do they have going on there?

I have been a Gopher fan for decades and know that the pregame atmosphere sucks compared to other places we have been (Neb, Wisky, Iowa, Col. State and in some respects even NU)

I remember the Brickyard days and University Ave. was a buzz. Not great but somewhat exciting. Then came the damn dome which turned the gameday experience into teflon. With Maturi in charge TCF didn't get off on the right foot as far as promoting a potential fun game day. Face painting and his tailgate policy was a bad start. What happened to the 4/$44? Teague should be rounded up and have Goldy give him 100 lashes with his tail at halftime and listen to the cannon blast. Where did that one go? Maybe the neighbors complained. Thank goodness that the band has not abandoned its pregame show that has been going on for decades and help perserve a bit of tradition.

I am glad that Coyle has been informed by marketing and many fans that the donation thing was a huge mistake. I don't blame fans for bailing out and Mrs Bayfield and I considered doing the same. But we have stayed the course. At least for one more year.

Coyle has a huge problem in his hands. I hope he is taking it very seriously. All one has to do it go to a Vikings game to realize that the young crowd will show up and spend lots of $$$$.

I don't have any answers. Sure winning big and often is always a good thing but how many P5 schools can count on that? There are other potential changes that can be made to the current and long standing very stale and dsyfunctional approach and plan.

IMO, Coyle would do good by hosting a number of listening sessions where fans can gather and speak their peace. And in the short term offer an olive branch to those thousands of loyal departed fans. The MT seats was very obvious this Fall so he had to notice.

Coyle and the UM must think this issue through and establish a long term goal to change the current blah gameday atmosphere.

What streets do they shut down and what do they have going on there?

Between Marriucci an TCF, east side of stadium as well. Band performs, games for kids food trucks. I agree they should figure out something for the open area outside of MacNamera.

I have been a Gopher fan for decades and know that the pregame atmosphere sucks compared to other places we have been (Neb, Wisky, Iowa, Col. State and in some respects even NU)

I remember the Brickyard days and University Ave. was a buzz. Not great but somewhat exciting. Then came the damn dome which turned the gameday experience into teflon. With Maturi in charge TCF didn't get off on the right foot as far as promoting a potential fun game day. Face painting and his tailgate policy was a bad start. What happened to the 4/$44? Teague should be rounded up and have Goldy give him 100 lashes with his tail at halftime and listen to the cannon blast. Where did that one go? Maybe the neighbors complained. Thank goodness that the band has not abandoned its pregame show that has been going on for decades and help perserve a bit of tradition.

I am glad that Coyle has been informed by marketing and many fans that the donation thing was a huge mistake. I don't blame fans for bailing out and Mrs Bayfield and I considered doing the same. But we have stayed the course. At least for one more year.

Coyle has a huge problem in his hands. I hope he is taking it very seriously. All one has to do it go to a Vikings game to realize that the young crowd will show up and spend lots of $$$$.

I don't have any answers. Sure winning big and often is always a good thing but how many P5 schools can count on that? There are other potential changes that can be made to the current and long standing very stale and dsyfunctional approach and plan.

IMO, Coyle would do good by hosting a number of listening sessions where fans can gather and speak their peace. And in the short term offer an olive branch to those thousands of loyal departed fans. The MT seats was very obvious this Fall so he had to notice.

Coyle and the UM must think this issue through and establish a long term goal to change the current blah gameday atmosphere.

I don't get that people are saying create tradition in the atmosphere but change things too.

Attendance was down for a lot of reasons that are totally obvious. In no particular order:

- Worst home games schedule in (fill in the blank) years.
- Huge minimum seat donation increase.
- Mostly 11AM kick-offs
- Early season loss @ Penn State (eventual conference champion) was believed by the fan base, and reported by the media, to be similar to losing to South Dakota State.
- followed by a home loss to rival Iowa that Minnesota was absolutely good enough to win.

There are definitely others. I would add something about the U's tepid commitment to Claeys, the program, and lack of having a long-term plan while it was without an AD. And there seemed to be way less going on around the stadium than any other year so far, which may be attributable to the early-season AM kick-offs killing all pregame atmosphere.

He's right though. They definitely have work to do. Hopefully they can pull some strings, get all 2:30 kick-offs or night games and work with some of the businesses on bringing back game day events.

I've been to three different away game destinations over the last few years (not including the Citrus Bowl which I went to) and at Madison, Iowa City and Champaign, their tailgate experiences are head and shoulders above anything we offer. It is just sad. Game after game (with the exception of lot 37 which is usually pretty full and I can't get into regardless of my $1k+ donation every year as it always sells out before it gets to me) I see half (or more) empty tailgate lots right next to or within a couple blocks of the stadium.

I don't know what you do to resolve it. But, if we really want the game day atmosphere to improve outside of the stadium, getting people to actually use the tailgate lots for tailgating (outside of the ones who do already) is the first place to start.

A competent AD would fix this, or I should say a quality/very good AD. Problem is, the powers that be could give a sh^t less. Need a Jerry Kill type in the AD chair who is relentless. They would probably either fire that type of person, or the person would realize it's a losing proposition and leave.

I'm telling you, we were lucky to stumble onto Jerry Kill (and only because of his health issues), because without his health issues MN wouldn't of ever got someone like him. Big time college football just isn't in Minnesota's culture, and it won't be until someone can convince the powers that be that it's worth the investment. The game day experience should be just that, a DAY experience, not just a game experience! It's college football with an on campus stadium!!!! Make it a COLLEGE FOOTBALL experience!!!!

People need to differentiate in their minds winning from contending. Still bebig mathematically involved for the west crown after 8 games is not winning. It might be contending.

The argument "no one showed up to northwestern" as proof winning doesn't solve everything is a terrible argument. A team that finished 7th in the big TEN didn't have great attendance despite winning.

A competent AD would fix this, or I should say a quality/very good AD. Problem is, the powers that be could give a sh^t less. Need a Jerry Kill type in the AD chair who is relentless. They would probably either fire that type of person, or the person would realize it's a losing proposition and leave.

I'm telling you, we were lucky to stumble onto Jerry Kill (and only because of his health issues), because without his health issues MN wouldn't of ever got someone like him. Big time college football just isn't in Minnesota's culture, and it won't be until someone can convince the powers that be that it's worth the investment. The game day experience should be just that, a DAY experience, not just a game experience! It's college football with an on campus stadium!!!! Make it a COLLEGE FOOTBALL experience!!!!

Jerry Kill has never won a conference title in "Big Time" college football FBS

And the school you call not good enough for him was the best job he ever got.

People need to differentiate in their minds winning from contending. Still bebig mathematically involved for the west crown after 8 games is not winning. It might be contending.

The argument "no one showed up to northwestern" as proof winning doesn't solve everything is a terrible argument. A team that finished 7th in the big TEN didn't have great attendance despite winning.

Pretty sure you have to do some winning to still be in the race for the division after 8 games.

That or it has been a really bad year for the whole division...

With the price increase (almost a doubling of my ticket price over the 3 year period) I just could not justify spending that kind of money on football anymore. I would rather spread some of that money around on other Gopher sports or pro teams in town. Now I pick and choose a couple games and just watch the rest on TV. I'm sure there lots of people in the same situation as me.

Great post.

I am in the same boat and was not going to pay almost $1500 for the same thing I was paying $850 in 2013.

I still missed my old seats. I finally trekked down to the old area later in the NW game, and found a very lacking, decimated group that used to be somewhat cohesive. One of the few remaining regulars told me that he saw not pattern of usage of my old seats all year, even though I learned someone did buy them. ( I called the office after the Coyle news of year 3 being pulled back and was told my seats were gone).

Coyle needs to find a way to offer something to all remaining season ticket holders and reach out to people like me that still care enough to come back.

I went to every game this year and my outlay was well under $300 and I sat in nice seats for every game. I never sat in the seats I bought on the street. I just moved to some of the massive open rows of premium seats in 108/208-212) and sat for the whole game with no one near me. (after the opening minutes, or within a seat or two) If anyone showed up I just moved to the next wide open space.

For the record ,I think our gameday presentation has gotten better and is superior to many of our peers. The sound system is very powerful and whoever is doing the DJ work, they are playing almost exclusively music that the students like. Most of the under 50 people tend to stand up and dance a bit during most of this. I tend to walk up by the visiting fans in 101-103 and they seem to marvel at some of this as well.

The band still should play more, but it is better than it was three or four years ago. Even some of the scoreboard driven commercial stuff tends to have loud dance music behind it with just visuals showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOmX2hpwR4

Attendance was down for a lot of reasons that are totally obvious. In no particular order:

- Worst home games schedule in (fill in the blank) years.
- Huge minimum seat donation increase.
- Mostly 11AM kick-offs
- Early season loss @ Penn State (eventual conference champion) was believed by the fan base, and reported by the media, to be similar to losing to South Dakota State.
- followed by a home loss to rival Iowa that Minnesota was absolutely good enough to win.
I'll add the way they lost the two games hurt. Leidner throwing a pass in the end zone that you or I could have thrown for an interception and then the Iowa game where if we did anything offensively we could have won the game. I remember sitting in the stands thinking "I am at a Gopher/Iowa game and am bored out of my mind."

listen to the cannon blast. Where did that one go? Maybe the neighbors complained.

The Cannon Man passed away and my understanding is that none of his family wanted to continue his tradition. The Goal Line Club wasn't really keen on it either so it was left to die.

The Cannon Man passed away and my understanding is that none of his family wanted to continue his tradition. The Goal Line Club wasn't really keen on it either so it was left to die.

He was probably about 45 years older than me, but Rod Wallace, the "Cannon Man" is someone that I will respect and miss. Rod was the man who built the Thunderbird on 494 that was demolished just this year. For anyone that was never in the "Tomahawk Lounge" bar when a North Star game or big concert was pending, will not know how great it was.

I did not ever meet Rod Wallace, but he was like many of us, a long lost Gopher fan, hoping his team would again return to glory. He probably was in attendance at the '61 and '62 Rose Bowls and was tying to keep the hope alive before he died, but I am not sure about that.

I do know that my dad, a 1961 graduate, was at the 1961 Rose Bowl and rode the train to CA on the official train, and he stayed on that train until we put him in the ground this year. I really hoped the Kill era would bring him back there, and the 2014 game in Madison might have been that bridge to take him there. Oh well, at least he got to Orlando for one day. He was in good health until a month before he died and watching the team play in the sun again in Orlando made him happy. I am sure he would found a way to get to San Diego this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWzEf_JU1Fw

P.S. The band had much better, longer pregame show in Detroit last year. I hope they get more time again this year.

http://www.ummbvideo.com/newummbvideo/20151228Pregame.html

'

Top Bottom