Reusse: Big challenge for Claeys is getting Gophers fans to buy in

Naw.

If they had a great season last year people would still be buying tickets.

The best sales pitch from Claeys is Wins. Especially beating teams in the quadrangle of hate, and bowl wins.

A fair read. From the column:

We’ve never had a coach here like Claeys (Big Country, in my parlance). In college football, you almost always get either get a hard-nosed guy or a salesman.

Claeys is neither. He’s a guy with a big intellect who is going to try to beat you with a plan. He’s not selling anything, except the possibility of winning games.

“Claeys deserves a chance,’’ the Kill believers say, but if they really believed that, they would have renewed their tickets.

It’s going to take 9-and-3 to win ’em over, Big Country. Go for it.

Go Gophers!!

Reusse can sure delve into a subject and give you some real insight that has never been discussed before.

We’ve never had a coach here like Claeys (Big Country, in my parlance). In college football, you almost always get either get a hard-nosed guy or a salesman.

Claeys is neither. He’s a guy with a big intellect who is going to try to beat you with a plan. He’s not selling anything, except the possibility of winning games.

“Claeys deserves a chance,’’ the Kill believers say, but if they really believed that, they would have renewed their tickets.

Go Gophers!!

I agree. This was a fair article, and basically said Claeys is a great coach, he's just not a salesman. But I love the guy and I renewed my seats. I did love Kill more for the reasons stated by Patrick.

Reusse can sure delve into a subject and give you some real insight that has never been discussed before.

You really should be ecstatic that he take topics from a limited number of diehards on this site to the general public.

Go Gophers!!

How is our belief in giving Claeys and this team a chance related to the idiotic ticket pricing strategy implemented by mega tongue. The price of the ticket has an impact on number sold...especially with a program like MN that hasn't been great for 50+ years. Blaming the fans for poor on field performance and bad to moronic pricing and marketing strategies is Reusiotic.

Ha! A portly Capt. Obvious he is for sure. He's got to get all his different angle articles out now so he can have one to pick from to say "Told you so" no matter what the outcome is at the end of the season.

Big Country! What a clever and innovative nickname for a fat guy from the Midwest. That took as much effort and thought as me deciding Reusse's nickname should be "Lazy 12-Step".

I disagree on the Kill analysis. I think the 5-7 record had some clout because we took one step backwards. Combined with the season ticket up charge , weak home schedule, the Gophers are on the apathy path with the fans.

Typical Strib - I know it is only the caption to the photo at the top of the article but come on . . . "Can Tracy Claeys get Gophers fans to fill TCF Bank Stadium the way they did when it first opened in 2013?"

I disagree on the Kill analysis. I think the 5-7 record had some clout because we took one step backwards. Combined with the season ticket up charge , weak home schedule, the Gophers are on the apathy path with the fans.

And combine that with the Vikings coming off a playoff appearance and into a new stadium.
And combine that with opening with 2-10 Oregon state instead of top 5 TCU.

Huh? They FINALLY one a bowl game. How can that be one step backwards?

We took a step backwards, but a lot of that is due to the myriad of injuries and the shake up on the staff. If Travis and Richardson had been healthy the whole season I think we are 2, maybe 3 games better.

More craptastic insight from Reusse, who mails in his annual Gopher hate column to the Star Tribune as a part time writer.
Wonder if AM1500 will sponsor some of those advertising wraps you see on busses and advertising for the porta johns in the tailgate lots at the U. Would be money well spent so we could pay homage to his likeness. Wonder what he will write when Coach Claeys and the Football Gophers start tearing their non-conference opponents a "New One". Gophers Football is going to have a good year.
Let me guess headline will read "Gophers beat up on more Cream Puffs". That or they will fling POOP at the Gophers because they have a "Down" Schedule. There will be more people buying tickets, some of us just couldn't justify paying the donation to keep season tickets. Doesn't mean were not going to buy or show up to the games. I'm still going to buy tickets to the games I can get to.
Go Gophers

The first article I actually agree with every word said.

People loved coach kill me included and lots attend just because of him.

I also think Cleays is a better X O kinda guy he knows his stuff.

Ha! A portly Capt. Obvious he is for sure. He's got to get all his different angle articles out now so he can have one to pick from to say "Told you so" no matter what the outcome is at the end of the season.

Hey, I think I should be offended. Confusing Ruesse with me...

The father figure has left.
The former AD screwed the few remaining loyalists abandoning the law of supply and demand.
The Vikes are ascendant and the Gophers reside in the house of gloom.
And the season has not yet started.

How is our belief in giving Claeys and this team a chance related to the idiotic ticket pricing strategy implemented by mega tongue. The price of the ticket has an impact on number sold...especially with a program like MN that hasn't been great for 50+ years. Blaming the fans for poor on field performance and bad to moronic pricing and marketing strategies is Reusiotic.

This sums it up nicely.

Huh? They FINALLY one a bowl game. How can that be one step backwards?

Beating middle michigan was almost as impressive as the time I beat the legally blind kid in badmiton during jr. high gym class using the 3 × 21 rally point scoring system where I won the third and final set 30-29. In fairness to the other kid, he was two years younger than me and he played in his winter boots.

Beating middle michigan was almost as impressive as the time I beat the legally blind kid in badmiton during jr. high gym class using 3 × 21 rally point scoring system where I won the third and final set 30-29. In fairness to the other kid, he was two years younger than me and he played in his winter boots.

According to a certain someone on this board, they're QB is light years better than Leidner. Beating a team with such a superior field general running the offense is no small feat.

The father figure has left.
The former AD screwed the few remaining loyalists abandoning the law of supply and demand.
The Vikes are ascendant and the Gophers reside in the house of gloom.
And the season has not yet started.

It sure must be depressing to live in your world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We took a step backwards, but a lot of that is due to the myriad of injuries and the shake up on the staff. <b>If Travis and Richardson had been healthy the whole season I think we are 2, maybe 3 games better.</b>

Nope. Find two key offensive players that were missing and I might consider this argument. Not as written tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Find two key offensive players that were missing and I might consider this argument. Not as written tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are thinking about the wrong games earlier in the season.

Our biggest problem was getting off the field on 3rd down. Travis would have made a lot of those tackles. He alone could have been the key to the Iowa game.

You are thinking about the wrong games earlier in the season.

Our biggest problem was getting off the field on 3rd down. Travis would have made a lot of those tackles. He alone could have been the key to the Iowa game.

The biggest problem was the pispoor offense...everyone knows this. It's been the same problem for years under JK.

I am a newspaper addict and read a number on line every day.
There is no doubt that the WI papers have much more content and details about the Badger fall camp than the MN papers have about the Gophers.
The WI beat writers do almost all of the writing and secondary writers rarely chime in.
I doubt that there is a conspiracy in MN to write less but that the publishers perceive there is not much interest in Gopher sports.

The biggest problem was the pispoor offense...everyone knows this. It's been the same problem for years under JK.

The defense was equally a problem last year. Gave up over 32 points a game in the 7 losses.

Top Bottom